Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reviews

Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog

“Yamaha Bike”

written by Ojassha on 19/02/2021

The overall performance of the bike was really good. Gearing, clutch, Slow speed riding everything is perfect and makes easy drive.

“Bad dog!”

written by 2wheellover51 on 20/02/2020

I traded in a beautiful 2012 TMax 500 mark 3 against a lovely looking Bulldog BT1100 at Metric Motorcycles in Bournemouth, test riding it in February on our local bypass in cold, wintery conditions. I was really happy with the bike, just what I wanted,a big relaxed V-twin motor in a roadster frame with good handling and brakes and a little screen for some protection. The Bulldog was giving me around 60mpg, and cruised easily at 80mph, with a top speed of just over the ton. All in all a great bike and I was really happy with it.. until the weather warmed up, and I began to notice that the slight tapping sound the engine had had turned into a nasty knocking noise which vibrated through the tank and into my upper legs - horrible! Despite having the clutch modded by a person of SV fame, and replacing various bearings and parts I couldn't track the cause of the vibration down, and Metric didn't want to know, telling me "they all do that, it's part of the V-twin character", which was only half true. I sold it back to them for half of what I had paid (I had also accidentally put a couple of small dents in the tank when the wind blew the tank backwards while I was working on it). Nice though the bike was it had to go, and I did a deal on a VFR750 with them, but I made sure I gave it a good long test ride before I bought it, and the engine was good and hot. So thereby a lesson was learned. The fact that I got a speeding ticket on the Bulldog after having a clean license for 50 years just added to the experience. No matter. If a nice one came up at a decent price (with no engine knocks) I would be tempted to buy it. They are a very endearing bike.

“relaxed driving”

written by PorterGarrett1982 on 31/01/2017

The best, relaxed driving, unless you are a racy and want a sincere bike to ride and with so much torque that's right for you.

“Surprisingly good bike!”

written by FrogsLegs on 13/12/2011

Slated by journalists who get their kicks out of high powered irrelevant race bikes, this is a great, if a little underpowered stable, roadster in the classic sense with fuss-free shaft drive 60mpg & low running costs. Good for touring & commuting, not so good around Oulton Park :o)

“Try One before you dismiss one.”

written by bigtwinthing1 on 02/08/2011

I have owned mine for 1 year, and it was bought to slow me down after losing my licence on a Fazer FZ1. I wanted it as its air cooled, easy to maintain,has a shaft drive,R1 brakes and good fuel consumptiom. I have joined a "forum" and they have been a great help in modifying the bike and making it so much more fun. I have removed the "carb restricters", changed to a K&N filter, put thicker oil in the forks, and Removed the AIS unit and got a pair of Carbon cans on and had it dyno,d the difference is amazing and the bike handles superbly. I have had the pegs down and the bike has had the tyres right off to the edges, I have often taken people on sportsbikes on the outside of roundabouts. I love the grunt and pick up out of corners and i still know that i wont be able to go over 120mph so dont try.This has saved my license.A great bike that always gets attention and 55mpg and 100% reliable so far.and a better sound that any other bike with the carbon cans. Go to any harley garage and see the attention they get. A very underated bike.

Guest's Response to bigtwinthing1's Review

Written on: 05/07/2012

As a very new Bulldog owner (just left a deposit tonight!), I'm intrigued to know what the carb restrictions are that you mention. Cheers! Carlos

Carlosthejackal1970's Response to bigtwinthing1's Review

Written on: 05/07/2012

Intrigued to know what the carb restrictions are that you mention ... just put down my deposit on my first Bulldog tonight, so I'm about the newest owner you could imagine. Cheers! Carlos

Read 2 Comments

“I have owned many bikes over many years, and just...”

written by bulldog65 on 18/04/2011

I have owned many bikes over many years, and just traded a 1200s bandit for a 2004 BT1100 with 5000 miles on the clock. It is very well finished,and lollops along a quite a rate. I use that word as it best decribes the way it goes. It has a lot of useable power and is easy to ride in traffic with stacks of urge for the motorway.Having got used to the 1200 Bandit which would accelerate and go on and on at a terrific pace until you backed off,(I never reached its full potential) the bulldog is quite a different ride, quite a bit easier on the wrists and a lot more economical.Shaft drive makes for a lot less maintenance and is cleaner than a chain.I recommend it.

“Not the bike for a racer! I live in Switzerland,...”

written by on 17/02/2011

Not the bike for a racer! I live in Switzerland, plenty of hill, passes, narrow roads and then on to Germany where the Autobahn has no speed restrictions. This bike copes with all of it without fuss and performs well in town on stop-start busy road use. The range is more than adequate and it performs OK with 2 up (and we are not lightweights). I have owned a few bikes (more than fingers) and since my z650 died in London in the eighties I have never so much wanted just to get on a bike and ride. There are some problems getting extras like side boxes etc. now that the model is no longer made but there is still some choice. If you want a bike that is:
Fairly heavy (220 kg). Shaft drive. Adequate range. Steady footed on the road. Good brakes (R1). Good sound. But you do not intend to race or challenge then this could be the right bike. They are pretty cheap second hand and opinion seems very polarised. Either they are hated and laughed at or loved by their owners. Sort of reminds me of my first bike a CX500 but with double the power and reliable as hell....

“GREAT CRUISER, ECONOMICAL - 60+MPG, LOOKS GREAT,...”

written by on 13/12/2009

GREAT CRUISER, ECONOMICAL - 60+MPG, LOOKS GREAT, FABULOUS VALUE FOR MONEY

“Just rode 140 miles home from buying my mint bulldog...”

written by on 18/11/2009

Just rode 140 miles home from buying my mint bulldog in the rain and horrendous wind and i loved it , well planted , safe , easy to ride and suprisingly fast ,lovely gearbox (i had a tdm yuk )and those fuel aftermarket cans make it sound like a harley, overall bloody great!!!

“I bought my Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog to kerb my...”

written by on 08/09/2009

I bought my Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog to kerb my enthusiasm for balls out racing and hopefully to live a bit longer. I have done over 10,000 miles commuting and touring and it has been utterly reliable, totally predictable and I have never felt unsafe on it. If you buy one you should remove the restrictor in the carb and fit stronger springs in the front forks. I ride mine quickly and can generally keep up with the pack on the twisties but I am left for dead on the straights. It could easily pull another gear as it absolutely tops out at 120 mph. It is comfortable, easy to ride, mega easy to maintain and utterly dependable. Finally they are rare, so you always feel special.

“Bought my Bulldog 2 weeks ago after an 11 year break...”

written by TheMaff on 12/06/2009

Bought my Bulldog 2 weeks ago after an 11 year break from bikes. I`m so impressed with my ride, it`s great in town as you`re sat upright enough to see over cars and enough power for me at the moment. Handling is spot on so ignore the reports of header pipes touching down in the bends, (at the end of the day,it`s not a R1 so don`t try and ride it like one!!) . I`ve got some aftermarket pipes on order, one of the first things I did, and I`m looking at different jets to sort out some fueling problems. On the whole if you`re in the market for a great bike, and you can find one, to quote Nike "Just do it"

“The Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog is a brilliant bike (mine is...”

written by on 11/02/2009

The Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog is a brilliant bike (mine is a 2001 reg) good fun,lovely to ride,not many about..Good looking,good handling. Plenty of torque,nice burble from exhaust,low maintenance,long time between re-fuelling,comfortable. Only bad point is could do with another gear.

“I bought the Yamaha Bulldog on an 04 plate when it was...”

written by on 05/05/2008

I bought the Yamaha Bulldog on an 04 plate when it was 1 year old.
It has performed faultlessly from then till now and sailed through one MOT already without a hitch.
There isn't a road you can't enjoy with this bike as the handling, brakes and low rpm power mean you can enjoy the ride without working too hard. The shaft drive delivers smooth power and maintains the nice style lines of the bike.
Have done over 20,000 miles on my Bulldog and it just keeps on going.
If you own a crotch rocket, give one of these babies a try, you'll be surprised there's a different kind of thrill to be had from a Bulldog.

“Engine on the Yamaha Bulldog is powerfull enough...”

written by trip out on 04/05/2008

Engine on the Yamaha Bulldog is powerfull enough smooth and lots of torque. Brakes have lots of stopping power. Went for a short ride one sunny sunday when i got back i had done 286 miles, I did not have any sore bits and i could have gone around again. the bike is reliable and is a pleasure to ride. The exhaust note is deep and I have noticed that when there are dog around they start barking back at the Bulldog. Its low tech and reliable, looks good, sounds good, and will still be going in years to come with little looking after.

“An excellent all-rounder. Just bought my 2nd one. Went...”

written by dyives on 23/04/2008

An excellent all-rounder. Just bought my 2nd one. Went to Andorra last month, didn't miss a beat. Gone from an 05 BT to a 07 BT with only 1800 miles on clock. Expecting more fun. Shame they've stopped making them. Also had BMW1000lt X2 Both buzzzzed at low revs. Also had Moto Guzzi 1000 Cali with faults before 1000miles. Yam BT 1100 no probs (13000m).

“I bought a used one on an 02 plate and it was great...”

written by Bedfordshire Bulldog on 20/04/2008

I bought a used one on an 02 plate and it was great value - from new I may not have thought of it, but am very happy that I chose this over a Fazer/Bandit/Hornet.

“Converted over from H-D......no regrets...more miles...”

written by forrazzi on 05/04/2008

Converted over from H-D......no regrets...more miles less spanner work.....howa H-D should be built.

“I have owned almost 20 bikes. HD,Triumphs (both...”

written by Peter Lafrenz on 28/03/2008

I have owned almost 20 bikes. HD,Triumphs (both Merriden and Hinkley) but the Bulldog is(along with the 1986 HD fxrs low rider sport edition)is one of the nicest bikes I have ridden. Unless you are a suicide jockey,who just cant seem to get enough HP, the bulldog is the perfect motorcycle for you. It stands out, at least here in Copenhagen. Because of the lukewarm reception it got from the press, you can have a bike like no one else. I feel sad for those poor suckers who choose to buy their bike from what other people write about them. They will never know what they miss!

“I traded in a Ducati ST4 to get my Yamaha Bulldog and...”

written by on 16/02/2008

I traded in a Ducati ST4 to get my Yamaha Bulldog and I've never regretted it. The Yamaha has comfort and poise a plenty, while having enough poke to make life interesting.
My best trip so far was going to a school reunion in the Scottish Highlands, via the scenic route - up through Glen Shea and over the twisty mountain roads, to emerge elated and in one piece at Granton-on-Spey. The same route, done on the Ducati the previous year was an utter nightmare.
I've had it for 5 years now and my Bulldog's for keeps.

“Moved onto a Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog from a Suzuki...”

written by smudger55 on 02/11/2007

Moved onto a Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog from a Suzuki GSX600F and haven't regretted it! Rode from where I bought it 400 miles home and felt as if I could turn round and do the journey again, no sore wrists, back etc. Shaft drive very smooth and low maintenance. Low revving bike so no need to thrash. Bike press don't seem to like for some reason but I would never go back to a sports/sports tourer bike after riding this.

Asked by Chaznsam on 2nd April 2015 Report this content
How do you remove the carburetors restrictions on a Bulldog?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site