Higher Park Farm, Chobham, Surrey Reviews

Higher Park Farm, Chobham, Surrey - Ask a question now

“Borderline animal abuse ”

written by jnAguirre226 on 14/06/2021

The yard is scruffy and poorly kept, the horses are poorly kept with nothing but weeds in the turnout. The staff on the yard are low skilled and demonstrated a lack of competence around horses. Riding lessons and unprofessional and the yard manager (aka Gayle) is rude and lazy. She simply drives around yelling at people from her car. She should be embarrassed of herself and the yard she keeps. Avoid!

“very friendly and great value”

written by on 13/11/2012

I have been taking my daughters aged 6 and 8 here for the past few months and am very pleased with the whole experience, my daughters have been taught by a BHS II instructor and have been corrected on bad habits picked up at other riding schools. I will certainly continue to take my children here for lessons

“Great riding school”

written by Cathrin78 on 20/08/2012

I have just started to learn riding at the Chobham Equestrian Center and am thoroughly enjoying my time there. As a complete beginner, I was welcomed by an enthusiastic team of owners, instructors and even their family members. I have had seven lessons with four different instructors and am finding the diversity hugely helpful. I think I have now found the two instructors that in combination give me the perfect balance of confidence, technical know-how and fun! But everybody learns differently, so I think it's worth trying out a few styles of teaching and working with different instructors. Everybody at the stables is super nice. I am glad I found a place which is non-pretentious and welcoming, and I look forward to every single lesson here. Gerry and her team are very enthusiastic about the horses and last weekend I saw they rescued a couple of ponies which had been utterly neglected. They are now stabled here and I have no doubt will be spoilt and fed back into a happy pony state. This story is again proof that the people in this equestrian center care a great deal about animal welfare. Value for money is also great- I just bought my second loyalty card which means 6 private 1-hour lessons for the price of 5 lessons, at £40 per 1-hour session. I would highly recommend this riding school and am looking forward to improving my riding skills with the team.

“Disappointed”

written by on 09/06/2012

i found that when I visited this yard to have a lesson with my daughter that the stables were very untidy, there was alot of rubbish around and it didn't look presentable Some of the ponies looked unhappy in their sables which didn't appear to have much straw in, the pony my daughter rode had no water bucket in before or after the lesson had finished, I wasn't too impressed witha topless stable worker, especially in front of my 10year old. Don't think we'll be going back I used to ride there when Kate ran the riding school and was hoping she would be there, alot has changed over the past few years

Geri1810's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2012

please contact me in regards to your complaint [email protected] Kind regards

Read 1 Comment

“good quality teaching and definitely worth the money !!!”

written by on 08/04/2012

Very good teaching, learn lots from every lesson, the lessons are all very different but are alp considered well and I easily progress from them, definitely worth the money! and very reasonably priced lessons and good deals if you buy in bulk

“poor teaching”

written by on 06/04/2012

i'm not sure if they have any training or if they are just people who have decided to take lessons. the lessons were boring & repetative. almost my whole lessons was guessing if i was on the right or wrong leg, rather than teaching how to spot it and adjust quickly.

Charlii's Comment

Written on: 08/04/2012

Perhaps you should have asked then, my trainer ( which I have had for two years) sometimes thinks I know things when I don't so I just ask her and she explains it to me

Read 1 Comment

“Choose a BHS Approved Establishment”

written by PollySmith2011 on 31/05/2011

This riding stable is not approved by the British Horse Society (BHS). Whatever your reason for seeking out a riding centre; be it to learn to ride, for a pleasant hours hacking, or training up to advanced level; you will want to pick an establishment that is both reputable and well run. British Horse Society Approved Establishments have horse and pony welfare along with client safety and satisfaction as priorities. All establishments are insured for public liability and comply with the latest health and safety legislation. To uphold the schemes standards and ensure quality teaching, unannounced annual inspections are organised for your peace of mind. To find your local approved establishment see: https://www.bhs.org.uk/Riding/Find_Where_To_Ride/Find_An_...

Guest's Response to PollySmith2011's Review

Written on: 16/10/2011

Having been to Higher Park Farm for some lessons I would say that they have some excellent instructors there. Stick to the ladies though as the man they have there doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and he gave me totally the wrong information and I ended up in pain from the way I was sitting. Easily solved with one lesson with a lady instructor and now I am thoroughly enjoying my lessons. BHS isn't everything

Read 1 Comment

“I have kept my horse at Higher Park Farm since Easter....”

written by on 28/12/2010

I have kept my horse at Higher Park Farm since Easter. Since having my horse here she is happy, content and very settled. Having an indoor school is brilliant and I have never had a time when I have been unable to use it or the outdoor school. Yard manager is great and nothing is too much trouble. I beleive that any negative reviews here are sour grapes!!!

Don't take my word come and check it out.

“I had a pony on full livery at higher park farm which...”

written by on 09/12/2010

I had a pony on full livery at higher park farm which i brought for my daughter. The pony was always cared for was turned out at 7:30 am and was brought in at about 4:30 pm, i had sharers on her which they had arranged for me, after they had very carefully assessed their capability around horses. My daughter was always made welcome and has learnt a lot from Miss Stevens the owner. She always had her shoes done on time, was up to date with her vaccinations and worming which was all done for me by them. We had never owned a pony before and were completely reliant on their honesty and integrity of which we were never disappointed. I can not recommend this livery yard enough in our opinion excellent value for money.

“Higher Park Farm A Very Special Yard ”

written by on 26/09/2010

Higher Park Farm A Very Special Yard

The horses health and happiness is paramount at this yard the horses and ponies are always well fed, groomed, immaculately mucked out and cared for to the highest standard

From everyday care to staying down the yard at 3am to help an ill horse, both owner and horse are always made to feel very special at this truly unique yard

There are always clinics being run for training and Laura is always available to help you with questions or advice

There's the indoor school on colder days or later at night to ride in, what more could you want I think it's the best yard I've ever been to and my horse is incredibly happy

“I keep my horse on full livery at Higher Park Farm...”

written by on 20/09/2010

I keep my horse on full livery at Higher Park Farm Liveries she is a show cob and must be kept at the highest standard! The yard is always clean including her stable, they have unlimited hay and she has gained weight nicely since being at the yard! No matter when I turn up she us always groomed and well turned out! The lady laura whom runs the livery is very helpful and schools her very well! Gives very good easy to follow lessons... I would recommend this yard to anyone!

“I had a jumping lesson here yesterday. I have lost my...”

written by on 16/09/2010

I had a jumping lesson here yesterday. I have lost my confidence jumping after some lessons with a really bad instructor at a BHS approved school. I found my lesson yesterday to be exactly what I need, I wasn't pushed too far but I did achieve something. The pony was extremely well mannered and in fabulous condition. All of the horses and ponies looked amazing and obviously well cared for. The staff were all friendly, welcoming and polite. I would highly recommend Higher Park Farm as a place to keep your horse and to have lessons.

“Took my nearly 3 year old along today for first...”

written by on 14/09/2010

Took my nearly 3 year old along today for first lesson. Found everyone to be friendly and welcoming and horses looked happy and well cared for to me - but then I am no expert and it concerns me to read previous reviews here being so negative.

We have booked a follow-up lesson as I found it to be good value for money and an approachable environment.

“HIGHER PARK FARM RIDING SCHOOL IS NOW UNDER NEW...”

written by on 07/03/2010

HIGHER PARK FARM RIDING SCHOOL IS NOW UNDER NEW MANAGERMENT.

Higher Park Farm Riding School is now being run by Geraldine Summers and Matthew Smith as from March 2010 and we hope that we will make the riding school as even more of a success than it previously was. The main Instructor is Geraldine, she has a world of experience teaching all levels from beginer to advanced riders. Gerri comes from a background of working with children from a city farm and also at top level dressage Yards with top Level dressage Trainers, and has also gained a HND and Teaching at Merrist Wood College. Matthew is also another instructor, and he has a world of expeience with showjumping and eventing, working with top show jumpers in Ireland and the UK.

What ever you are looking for Higher Park Farm Riding School has it, lessosn, hacks or a good day out.

“Higher Park Farm is not BSJA approved, which means it...”

written by on 13/12/2009

Higher Park Farm is not BSJA approved, which means it is of a low quality for both horse care and lessons.

I myself have bought one of their ponies which was extremely mistreated, after 5 years Charlie has been learning to trust again and we are currently doing Pony Club events all year round.

However when he was for sale he was only 800 pounds, due to him being 'unmanageable', yet he now takes inexperienced riders for hacks on Chobham Common.

I am very dissapointed in Higher Park Farm, and do not recommend it at all.

“friendly family run business, fairly new business for...”

written by on 02/11/2009

friendly family run business, fairly new business for them, great facilities, indoor and outdoor arenas., clear round evenings and events. laid back environment. I really enjoyed my visit and lesson there and will be making it a regular thing. Liveries still available, go for it!

“the ridding wat Higher Park Farm was realy fun as a...”

written by on 30/08/2009

the ridding wat Higher Park Farm was realy fun as a beginner but as you got better the lessons got a bit boring, the hacks were mostly walking and trotting. the horses are well looked after and not at all bored. i love higher park farm and recommend it to any one but one thing i would say is its quite expensive.

☆☆☆☆☆

“The people are all vary friendly but however as an...”

written by on 13/05/2008

The people are all vary friendly but however as an experienced rider I did not feel it met my expectations. The ponies were fantastic but teaching was bad.

368928_Steph Percy's Comment

Written on: 25/05/2008

Higher park farm is an amazing equestrian centre, during the week the staff are committed to their jobs and love each and every horse. During the weekend the many staff and helpers are always laughing and smiling, they are wonderful girls. Each and every horse gets the love and attention thats needed and have a holiday in a large field just down the road for a week or so for a deserved rest. There's a wide range of lesson s throughout the week from stable managent to jumping. Sutible for all ages and abilities. Always happy to help and theres nothing bad i could possibly say. 5 *..... Thank-you HPF for all you've helped me with.

Read 1 Comment

“They are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ”

written by 5eyyyyyy on 05/05/2008

They are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All their horses & ponies are wonderful.

The staff is great too. They are all very kind and helpfull.

“Higher Park Farm is the greatest stables in the...”

written by on 28/03/2008

Higher Park Farm is the greatest stables in the world!! There are great instructors and to other comments trust me the horses aren't bored and i have been there for a really long time!!