The Book Depository Reviews - www.bookdepository.co.uk

The Book Depository - www.bookdepository.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Book Depository - www.bookdepository.co.uk

The Book Depository - www.bookdepository.co.uk

“biggest on UK”

Written on: 06/04/2021 by Leah-Night (7 reviews written)

Its a biggest online book seller shop in the UK. they also provide free shipping which is a bonus with all the good books they sell.

“nowhere near as good as they used to be”

Written on: 31/12/2020 by sayingithonestly (3 reviews written)

At one point i could easily recommend the site, but not anymore... Prices can fluctuate significantly for the same book (independent of taxes/currency differences), depending on the IP (!) EVEN IF THE SAME DELIVERY ADDRESS IS LISTED! Discounts/coupon codes are rare these days & on & off you may be subject to orders you've placed, cancelled & refunded out of nowhere with no consideration of compensation to be given. Customer service can range from excellent to exceptionally poor, bordering condescending & dismissive! The strange thing is, book depository was bought out by amazon, yet to this day, amazon does have one of the best, attentive standards of customer service so how is it that it has not flowed through to book depository? In all honesty, it's as though book depository does not feel the need to 'try' with their customers anymore... These days, i'd recommend up & coming sites like 'awesome books' - sites that have re-focused on customer service, expanded range & offered more competitive prices at times than book depository offers.

“Excellent!”

Written on: 06/09/2018 by henoroberts44 (3 reviews written)

I ordered a few times in Book Depository and never had problems and just one time, I had a problem in receiving one of my many orders, it took so long for me to receive it so I emailed them and they compensated to send another book. I eventually got two books. Told them about it and they just asked me to keep both. It took me one email. Excellent!

“Good but returns are absolutely excruciating”

Written on: 06/09/2018 by Roche196 (1 review written)

After many good interactions with this company, I needed to return an item that arrived defective. What should have been simple return became a week-long battle of jumping through hoops, ever tighter and higher. First they requested photos to prove the damage to the book in a book/DVD combo item. Photos supplied. Then a part refund was offered. Declined. Next, I was asked to ** make a video ** proving defectiveness of the DVD. A clear description wasn't enough. If you are 100% certain your item will arrive in the condition you expect and you are 100% certain you will never need a refund, then by all means this seller is appropriate. But if you sometimes return damanged or defective items, then either avoid the Book Depository, or home your photography and videography skills and expect a momumental battle. I would have liked to have known how excruciating and prolonged the return period is so that I could have chosen another seller.

“Don't ever buy anything from Book Depository”

Written on: 31/03/2018 by BookwormSomerset (2 reviews written)

I ordered and paid £28.95 for a book online from Book Depository they deny receiving my order although they have taken my money. Checking my bank account the amount was paid to them on 23 March 2018 and I can prove this through my bank. Book Depository have a couldn't care less attitude to customers which is disgusting and I would never have anything to do with them again. The annoying thing is they have my payment but deny receiving my order. Please think twice before you order and pay for anything from this low life book Company.

“Disgusting attitude towards disabled customer ”

Written on: 26/02/2018 by luluwellington (1 review written)

They didn't bother to send the book until 3 days had passed then said it would be another week - I complained and was told they didn't purchase the book themselves until after I had ordered and it was delayed - the next person said this wasn't true - I asked to cancel 3 times and they kept saying no I had to return it when it arrived - explained I am disabled and cannot do this - they just ignored me saying this and kept saying no.....horrific experience - and second time with problems - will never ever use again - appalling attitude towards disabilities Do not buy from them....

“Company appears to be folding. No more books or refunds.”

Written on: 07/02/2018 by benmills2 (1 review written)

I used Book Depository in the past without issue. But I ordered my book on Dec 6th and it didn't show by the January 17th latest delivery date. I e-mailed them and a customer service rep told me it didn't actually shipped on January 8th so I needed to wait until February 5th. Not shockingly nothing arrived either. The latest customer service rep is trying to by time by getting me to go down to the post office despite that larger packages from the book depository have been mailed to me without issue. If a company is asking you to go down to the post office yourself and find a package they shipped to you they're pretty much admit they're bankrupt, right? Judging from how many similar complaint are on this page from just the last few days this company either doesn't have enough money to ship out or no longer has access to books. I'm lucky that I'm only out $8 for one book. I feel really bad for people who are losing more than that with their orders. But mostly feel bad for the people at the book depository who apparently won't have jobs soon. Sad news :(

“Positive note”

Written on: 22/12/2017 by Casper333 (1 review written)

Have read so many negative comments about Book Depository, I ordered a book which I believed would arrive after Christmas, it has arrived 22/12. It was well packaged and the service for me, was brilliant. I will be using this Online Book Service again, and will recommend it. Good wishes to all staff and have a lovely Christmas.

“Advertises latest edition - sends old one”

Written on: 15/12/2017 by Holder306 (1 review written)

Ordered 'Iron Curtain Trail' Part 1 by Michael Cramer from this company as it was advertised online as a 2014 edition, which would be more useful for the ride than a 2009 edition, which is what was actually sent. Best not to deal with a company that makes an inadvertent error such as this. I note that a warning, stating that reviews must be factual accompanies this facility, so have a screenshot as evidence of shoddy salesmanship that can not be pasted into this review, apparently. Avoid!

“Avoid this company”

Written on: 19/11/2017

I ordered three books from this company, then changed my mind. I cancelled the following day and despite the information on their web site which states that all books will be dispatched between 2-5 days, they insisted the books were already dispatched and I wouldn't be able to cancel. The books arrived five days later!!! I then had to pay for postage and packaging to return the books. The customer service is appalling and I would not recommend this company to anyone. I will certainly not be purchasing anything from them ever again.

“Pre-ordered book never arrived”

Written on: 16/10/2017 by GisselleDavis122 (1 review written)

Pre-ordered a book that was to be released this month. It didn't arrive a week after publication date so I contacted the Book Depository who informed me that they don't actually have the book and won't be getting anymore. Presumably they would have known this before I emailed them yet they didn't think to tell me. It's understandable that they run out of stock. But to allow for more pre-orders than they are actually going to receive and then not tell the customers who aren't going to get their book delivered is pretty poor service. Would not recommend the Book Depository!

“Misleading advertising”

Written on: 06/10/2017 by aj0r (1 review written)

The Book Depository does not hold books - they are merely resellers. So when they advertise that you will receive your books within 24 hours, that's completely misleading or should I say 'a lie'. When challenged they say that they will indeed send the books out within 24 hours of them receiving the books but it could takes weeks (or longer) before they themselves receive them. So buyers beware! You could wait a long time - is it worth it?

“Great prices for invisible books”

Written on: 03/08/2017 by Andfie (1 review written)

I placed an order for a book, paid by Paypal using my usual stored address for delivery to my place of work.Money took,email order dispatched July 20 for 3-4 day delivery. August 1st still no book.Customer service chased, if the book is returned in 5-10 WEEKS by Royal Mail, we will resend or refund if not wanted, a query on the delivery address as the Paypal address that had been successful on hundreds of other instances, had amazingly changed from "Lancashire" to "North West" ?? Company name, Unit Number,Industrial estate and post code all present.Being a Work address with lots of mail, post is held and delivered by van, it seems very strange that a posted item with 6/7 address details correct didn't make it through.I asked for proof of postage in order to claim on the Royal Mail, I was offered a reprinted packing slip,(time stamped with todays date). The book may have gone astray but 10 weeks for a £5 book to be replaced/refunded ?

“Prompt delivery and greatly improved wrapping ”

Written on: 20/06/2017

My book arrived on the first day of the delivery window. The wrapping was a significant upgrade on that of my previous purchases from The Book Depository. The stiff cardboard protected the book from impacting with the tiled floor in my hallway, which is a considerable drop from the letterbox. As the book was new there were no “Used Book” issues, but to be fair to The Book Depository, I have yet to have an issue with the condition of any of my purchases from them. I highly recommend this company and will gladly deal with them in the future.

“Fantastic experience and customer service”

Written on: 20/05/2017 by Mauricev137 (1 review written)

My experience with Book Depository has been excellent. They have amazing prices and free shipping. They are quick to respond to any questions or concerns. I would highly reccommend them and will definitely be a long term customer.

“Excellent service and customer support”

Written on: 19/05/2017 by DrGJH (1 review written)

I ordered a book from the Book Depository which was dispatched very quickly. However, it went missing in the post and Royal Mail could not find it. I contacted Customer Services who immediately ordered a new copy and dispatched it very quickly and kept in touch until it was delivered. Very good service - I shall definitely order from them again.

“Great Company With Awesome Customer Service!”

Written on: 15/05/2017 by SKFHerbLady (1 review written)

I ordered a book from the Book Depository and it did not come by the expected delivery date, so I contacted them and they got back to me immediately and went into action to find out where the book was. It turned out that it was the US Postal Service that was at fault for the book being late, but they sent out a new copy for my inconvenience. A day or so later the first copy arrived in excellent condition and I asked them what they wanted done with the duplicate when it arrived. The told me to keep it and donate it if I wanted to, which I will be doing. I will order from them again, and recommend them to others, since I am confident that in the case something should go wrong with an order they will take care of it to my complete satisfaction.

“replaced book lost in mail”

Written on: 14/05/2017

I was happy to receive a replacement book I had ordered through Book Depository that had gotten lost in the mail. Amazing service to do this for me. thanks Book Depository.

“Great response when there was an issue”

Written on: 11/05/2017

I ordered books to NZ and unfortunately the package of 3 books got water damaged on the way. The customer service team were very responsive and helpful with the issue. fantastic service. I'll use them again.

“SUPERB”

Written on: 11/05/2017 by Palmerhs358 (1 review written)

ITS ALMOST A VALUABLE SITE WHICH WE CAN FIND THE BOOKS AS PER OUR WISH AND THE PRODUCTS WHICH THEY SENT IS VERY QUALITY