Surf & Turf, St. Ives Reviews

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Surf and Turf, St. Ives - Ask a question now

“I love the menu and think it's good value for the...”

Written on: 23/02/2010

I love the menu and think it's good value for the quality but why must they have such uncomfortable chairs? Do the owners care more about the look of the furniture than the comfort of their paying guests or is it a deliberate ploy to ensure we don't stay too long? I'd eat here far more often if I didn't have to give my poor aching back time to recover between visits.

“The service was very very good, being a waitress...”

Written on: 21/02/2009 by emting (1 review written)

The service was very very good, being a waitress myself I am very judgmental and thought they were extremely helpful and friendly :), there was a large choice on the menu and the venue is very well decorated and extremely clean. The food was ok, however for the price I have eaten better, the food was not very well presented and made it a bit off putting, but as we were a large table I understood this. I enjoyed the meal and thought Surf and Turf in St. Ives was a very lovely restaurant and would go back again.

“Surf and Turf in St. Ives offer amazing service, great...”

Written on: 24/12/2007 by Simon page (1 review written)

Surf and Turf in St. Ives offer amazing service, great fresh food and they accommodated for my fussy eating habits. Loads to choose from. I will definitely be back!!!

“Our evening out represented poor value for money £110...”

Written on: 17/12/2007

Our evening out represented poor value for money £110 for two courses, plus wine). Setting is lovely, company was great, but the meal was very ordinary.

With the amount of local hype they had generated we expected a lot better. Service was arrogant and pompous. Having the menu explained to us was like being at a Harvester. Even though the recommended wine was a Rioja Reserva, the proprietress later informed us that none of their red wines were oaked!

Whilst the ingredients were good, our meals (two meat and two fish dishes) were very ordinary and unexciting. Definitely a case of style over substance.

“4 Of us had the best meal out ever! The fish was...”

Written on: 10/12/2007 by hannahlewis (1 review written)

4 Of us had the best meal out ever! The fish was beautiful the steaks were delicious!!!
The staff there are attentive and professional! Brilliant you must go!!! This is a fantastic little restaurant!!!

“We booked a table at Surf and Turf in St. Ives for...”

Written on: 08/09/2007 by bunnykin (1 review written)

We booked a table at Surf and Turf in St. Ives for 9pm. We arrived at 9pm, and we were seated immediately. There were 7 in our party.

We had been talking for 10 minutes when someone came to ask for drinks and to give us a menu.

The drinks were reasonably priced (alcohol free beer was £1.75, and a bottle of good wine £12.50).

We ordered our food, which arrived at about quarter past 10. We were starving.

We had ordered from the limited menu (steaks or prawn, crevette, langoustines) across the board.

I had Kedgeree fishcakes topped with a lightly poached egg and mango chutney for a starter.
This was a bland, rice and minced fishcake. Singular. It was served with a quarter of a cold practically hard boiled egg, and the mango chutney was like nothing I had ever seen or tasted before. I am not even sure it was mango, but some kind of sour sharp citrus mush with green and red flecks in it. It was not complimentary to the dish, whereas a mango chutney would have been, as would a freshly prepared poached egg with liquid yolk as I had imagined.

The second course I ordered was a mixture of 6 crevettes and 6 langoustines. These were lovely. But that was it! It arrived with salad, which was basically a garnish along the division between the two types of shellfish. It consisted of about 20 bits of rocket and half a dozen chips of red/yellow pepper.

I was still hungry after both of these courses.

It was half past 11 before we ordered our deserts. There was no one else in the restaurant. I had raspberry and pistachio roulade, which was divine. It was not sweet, but sharp and tangy with a good amount of cream, and a fair sized portion. It was light and moist, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We asked for the bill, and it was brought to the 7 of us all mixed together, so we had to ask for a menu to work out each ones share. They charged us £38.60 for 1 bottle of £12.50 wine, which was instantly rectified. The bar bill we had to guess at, as it was all lumped together.

We left at 12:30am, so it was not a rushed affair.

General summary: not a lot of food for the money, but it was comfortable and pleasant, and the staff were friendly. If you like your food, make sure you order a side dish of vegetables AND chips. There were only about 10 chips in my fellow diners bowls.