University of Central Lancashire www.uclan.ac.uk

• Nightlife

• Societies & Clubs

University of Central Lancashire www.uclan.ac.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for University of Central Lancashire www.uclan.ac.uk

“Software needs improving ”

written by Keegan222 on 30/09/2023

Editing software is a joke, when you log and capture your filming, if you turn the computer off, then turn it back on you have to do it all over again, when I was at College you could start from where you left of. Blackboard is also awful, tried uploading my work I couldn't ended up having to email it to most of the Teachers. One of the Teachers who taught connections was one of the most obnoxious individuals I've ever met, seem to go out of his way to be rude to everyone. The I.T was good if you need to write essays, however your better of emailing or handing it in.

“worst university University of Central Lancashire”

written by KaydenceNelson on 15/06/2023

worst university University of central lancashire. preston ..no supportive team.. very lazy management.. I was a student of uclan. and this university ruined my life. as I have paidmytuition fee before the deadline.due to enrolment issue theyhave stopped my study n blocked my account.when iwas attending my all classes they did not bother.. simply deactivated my account and stated u have not enrolled. iwas telling them there was technical error in enrolment link kindly rectify. simply they passed number of months to rectify. . I strongly request to vice chancellor.. if you could see these all. kindly open ur eyes and look these all.. if u are just for money making university thats enough.. if you have left minimal justice kindly do not repeat this kind of mistakes.. and act quickly. if u had acted quickly I would have completed my study successfully. very disgusting it would be far better if I had admitted into another university inspite of Uclan. I Lost my money, dreams, career, my two years.

“I have never felt more miserable ”

written by Timmons454 on 31/01/2023

UCLAN lied from the very start about what the course I applied for had to offer. The tutors are extremely unprofessional, untrained and overall bullies to their students. My mental health has deteriorated, the tutors will claim about advocating for students mental health however will fail to understand or provide support once a student shows any symptoms. Not to mention their complete disregard for their students safety; students were forced to stay in a building during a crisis with no heating from 9am-5pm, and the tutor only showed concern for people outside of the university coming in to the building. Multiple students were ill as a result, two had thrown up, yet they weren’t sent home. A tutor, 10 minutes before a performance claimed students could “perform hungry.” And this is during final year. The first year was mostly run via TEAMS due to covid, and second year was just as bad as there were incidents involved such as a tutor deciding to insult the classes work and yell at their students an hour before their FMP. Constructive criticism does not exist to these tutors, it is just criticism and they will not offer an ounce of advice on how to improve, regardless if you are to ask for help. Do not set foot into this university, it’s not worth the cost or student dept you’ll be plunged into. The accommodations are just as bad, enjoy a luxury of stained curtains and carpets, toilets and lights that don’t work, and silverfish crawling almost everywhere- and that’s before you have even settled in. Not to mention the lack of security, you will be forced to listen to shouting, screaming and objects being thrown into walls late into the evening, and no, the staff won’t do anything about it.

“Disorganised and detrimental ”

written by Rileyi377 on 16/07/2022

During covid I attended the Medical Sciences accelerated course as a good pathway to medicine. TWO modules (neuroscience & pharmacology) were not taught to us and was “online” however, it was mainly self study. They did not give many interviews to people in my course when applying to their medicine course (despite saying on their website that the course creates suitable candidates for medicine). I had an issue with plagiarism during first year which the University heavily punished me for claiming they gave me a warning (which they never did), and therefore made me resit a whole module whilst doing my own modules. A lot of submission dates were pushed back due to the staff not marking our work. And this is not only my experience. We have a medical sciences group chat where the majority of us are complaining about the courses disorganisation. Would not recommend travelling to and from either as a lot of lectures weren’t on or gave late notice for not being on. Issues regarding our neruoscience exam with most students failing including content in the exam that wasn't taught. As a student wanting to pursue medicine, you feel really unsupported in this University. Content of the course however was good, interesting, but sadly, wasn’t delivered well (I had better lessons in high school). No societies or clubs in Burnley where this course is taught. Accommodation at Sandygate was great! And the best thing about UCLan has been the lifelong friends I have made. Just disappointed at the course.

Litehkong's Comment

Written on: 11/03/2023

Hi I am wanting to do this course but I am concerned possibly, do you mind emailing me so I may ask a bit more about it?

“had a fantastic experience, great employment...”

written by JillianLane489 on 19/06/2022

I did both my BSc (hons) and MSc here and really loved it. I was a mature student and very apprehensive going back to formal education. However I was supported throughout, given the right tools to develop and improve and ended up with job offers in the industry at a high level to start immediately following graduation. I was also supported in setting up a business and plenty more. Almost all of the students on my undergraduate and post grad left with great experience and offers in industry. Those that didn’t were just the ones that barely turned up or participated in the practical labs etc.

“I highly recommend you don't take computer games...”

written by DevanDelaney on 27/09/2017

I highly recommend you don't take computer games development unless you enjoy other computer science courses. I chose to do computer games development last year, I was told by a lecturer on open day that I would have to do a bit of networking to start with. As soon as I started the course, I did a four week challenge, there wasn't much gaming in it (there was a group task to do a quiz app and to make posters and presentations for the app), I assumed that I would do a lot more game development after the challenge however, I only ended up doing an hour a week of actual game development and before I had to take an exam about essay writing, I decided to drop out as I knew I was going to fail the year. All the lecturers except for two either didn't really know what they were doing or were unwilling to help students. The lecturer kept bringing a negative vibe to the course eg one of the first things he said was that 'you get paid peanuts compared to other jobs' when starting out in computer games development. If I knew what the course was really like I wouldn't have opted to take it and pay for it in the future, I was lied to. Also many staff members seem clueless

“Don't even BOTHER to attend the open days...”

written by LaylaSmith on 11/04/2016

With past experience and qualifications gained from other Universities, I can safely say that this institution should be embarrassed of its performance. Lectures are in the main read from the powerpoint;this is typical and rarely not the case. There appears to be little parity in marking and/or advise on assignments.They genuinely appear to do the minimum in terms of input. A shame as a few (five or six lectures have been outstanding). There are many lovely staff however this is not enough when you are looking to them as academics, they just don't appear to have sufficient teaching methods. Additionally, I find them patronising and have overheard conversations where staff have been whinging about 'students'....why work there then? I feel disappointed and let down constantly.

“Nursing Course at UCLan”

written by NorthwestNurse on 23/12/2014

Cannot recommend enough. So glad I chose this university. The lecturers are brilliant - good at lecturing, know their subject area well, and are always willing to offer support including via email and their personal twitter accounts. The facilities are very good - skills labs have a range of equipment to use and it's all good quality and up to date. There's always extra time given to attend further drop in sessions if a skill hasn't sunk in properly during the intiial lesson. Regarding placement, UCLan are the first university to offer a new sort of support system which has worked extremely well and has contributed to a decrease in students dropping out from the course. This system is potentially being rolled out in other universities leading from the success at UCLan. I've read a couple of the other reviews and to be quite honest I'm shocked. Our pass rate of assignments and exams is quite high, and the complaints about 'tutors wanting to fail students' is quite frankly untrue and I don't think has any basis except personal feelings. A couple of things I do think need improving are car parking provision, we often have to arrive 40mins early to secure a parking space, and the size of the nursing cohort. My cohort was a very large group and it sometimes led to us not feeling there was enough time for us.

Holly987's Response to NorthwestNurse's Review

Written on: 01/10/2017

The nursing course is corrupt, I was on the nursing course and I was dismissed because my father deteriorated with cancer and I was belittled, because I was too experienced . This university is a Mickey Mouse uni don't go there.

“DO NOT TRUST WHAT THEY SAY!!!!”

written by MIlyMayCarder on 22/08/2014

I was offered a place for my course through clearing, I received an email confirming my place, was informed the place would be confirmed through UCAS within 48 hours, the following was the actual timeline......... Thursday 14th August 10am - Telephoned clearing, was accepted and offered a place. within the hour received an emailconfirming my place subject to me entering into UCAS with 48 hours. Thursday 14th August, 5pm - Telephoned UCLAN to confirm course code and entered direct onto UCAS, was told withing 48 hours I would receive confirmation through UCAS and accomodation code. Friday 15th August - No confirmation received through UCAS Monday 18th August, 3pm - No confirmation received from UCAS, telephoned UCLAN to confirm no issues with application, was informed there were no issues and they confirmed I was a registered student and I received my student number from them direct to apply for accomodation. Tuesday 19th August, an SU rep from UCLAN called me to ask if I needed any advice/help and persuaded me to buy the Freshers Pass. Wednesday 20th August 2pm - Called UCLAN, still no confirmation received and unable to apply for accomodation, was in formed there was an issue with my application and they may withdraw my offer of a place, due to administration error when taking down my grades!!! 4pm - Called again for update on a decision, confirmed they were withdrawing my offer, offered me a foundation course on a different course!!!! As you can imaging a week has now passed, I have been limited to the clearing places now available, I did secure a place at an alternative Uni, but if I hadn't, I would have rather had a gap year than take up any offer with UCLAN EVER!!!!

Holly987's Response to MIlyMayCarder's Review

Written on: 01/10/2017

This uni is a disgrace to society

“poor practice at uclan”

written by IzabellaFreeman on 13/08/2014

The lecturers at University of central Lancashire needs to improve on compassion and empathy in their nursing school, also they need to learn their students on how to show compassion to their patients, because university of central Lancashire are putting a very bad practical influence on their student nurses professional behaviour, the students also scrunch their faces up when it comes to changing a patients pad, this is complete and utterly disgraceful to the society and future nurses .

Northwestnurse's Comment

Written on: 23/12/2014

On what grounds are you basing your opinions on? Also Uclan teach, the students learn. No-one in my cohort scrunches their faces up at changing a bad - especially since a vast majority of us have worked as carers and some still do.

Eric765's Comment

Written on: 01/10/2017

There is no practice in nursing at uclan, the cohorts are just a bunch of colluding Hippocrates and try anything to get you off the course . They like to use the terminology inappropriate behaviour, so they can easily dismiss you .

Holly987's Comment

Written on: 01/10/2017

Also this uni likes to have bullies and people who like to belittle other people. Which I find very sick minded

“Underprepared and unprofessional tutors!”

written by on 25/11/2013

make yourself a favour and forget about Uclan ,if you ever intended to go there.I am mentioning here here about parking spaces ,smelly classrooms and so on.I am talking about tutors ,about people who are supposed to be there to teach you.But how can we be taught by them when when they are less prepared than their students?Uclan is a waste of time and money .Is the most demotivating situation I find myself in. Uclan is your worst option!

Fion12345's Comment

Written on: 10/03/2014

University of central Lancashire waste students time and money. If a member of the students family becomes terminally ill, the lecturers of university of central lancashire including the dean make up stories such as looking back on nhs incidents and accusing the students of these incidents to help terminate their students . There is no empathy or support given by these lecturers, they are very naive colluding hippocritical people .

Holly987's Comment

Written on: 01/10/2017

1 lecturer was teaching moving and handling and said this is exhausting, much for the teaching and enthusiasm .

“Doesn't even deserve 1 star”

written by on 04/07/2013

Stayed in there accommodation while on a business trip. The room was like a prison - yet they will happily charge students around £100 per week to stay there during term time! The room was too hot but with the window open there was a buzzing, generator like sound constantly all through the night. The outdated curtains were stained with what looked like either fermented vomit and the flat next door were shouting until after 1am. Why they ever thought it would be suitable accommodation for me I do not know. In a pretty much empty building they also decided to put me on the top floor with no lift. Beyond a joke. I also had no access to internet or any contact phone numbers for staff or security.

“10 years on I still have no acknowledgement of complaint”

written by Bolo on 02/05/2013

I left a perfdecvtly good job to better myself in an area of my own interest. Attending this university destroyed my career and my life as it was. No parking facilities meant i was constantly late for classes as I couldnt get a bus pass despite having no additional income. The university lied about the standard of its IT provision and changed the name of my course after it was too late for me to go back to my employer or find alternative suitable course. Instead of learning about Music Tech with G5 Apples the Uni had G3 computers for us and we could get the odd 1-2 hour session using a suite of G4 quicksilvers in tthe main building which belonged to another course. Out of over 30 enerants onto the Multimedia and Sonic Art course in 2004 on a handful got a degree. Most dropped out. Sold lie after lie. The dean refused to make a formal note of my complaints. I have been diagnossed Aspergers since this course which would explain my frustrations at things not being the way that they were promised before i left my job. I have been promised someone will get back to me buyt I find myself chasing people who you can only ever leave an answering machine message for. ITS TIME THE STUDENTS OF THE NOW CEASED MULTIMEDIA AND SONIC ARTS BA CAME FORWARD AND CHALLENGED THIS UNIVERSITY ON WHERE THE MONEY WENT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PROVIDING US A DECENT AND PROPOER EDUCATION.

Holly987's Response to Bolo's Review

Written on: 01/10/2017

I was a student nurse and kicked off the course because I was victimised with my father dying from cancer . This uni is a disgrace to the public and ruin people's lives .

“Recommended with caveats”

written by on 10/11/2012

I have completed a distance learning course at UCLAN and found it akin to owning an Alfa Romeo, which to experience shear brilliance and irritation at its idiosynracies at the same. The plus points were the visiting lectures were excellent, getting to meet some of the best people in their field was superb. Also the feedback recieved from lecturers was also excellent, constructive and highly professional, thanks to UCLAN I have radically altered my career and I am taking on tasks which I would never have dreamed of when I started out. The negative was the administration of the course, the time scale in getting essays marked and feedback recieved, this lack of prompt response impacted my ability to finish modules on time and affected my overall marks. If this could be addressed, if feedback could be delivered promptly and new units made available within a week of completing the old, then I would whole heartedly recommend UCLAN and the masters course I completed. To summarise, my experiences at UCLAN were a mixture of being impressed by the standards of teaching (my principle lecturer's feedback was considered and always helpful). The visiting lecturers were major players in the relevant UK industry and always approachable. If UCLAN got its adminstration side organised properly then it would be five stars and no caveats. I truly hope it does because once that is resolved it will be an excellent course.

“nursing course at university of central Lancashire ”

written by holly123457 on 08/11/2012

The so called nurse training at university of central lancashire is terrible, only if Florence Nightingale, saw how students are treated, through their so called nurse training. The lecturers do anything to withdraw students from their course, also the lecturers don't know which students are still on the course, 12 months down the line. Very incompetent and very misleading lecturers and it should still be a polytechnic college. Just don't go there .

Terr12's Response to holly123457's Review

Written on: 11/11/2013

Terrible university for student nurses, the lecturers like to fail students . Once a complaint is made about the student collusion of letters start to pour in to get the student kicked off the course . Some of those lecturers do not have any respect or show any empathy, which is bad for student nurses, because this shows poor attitudes towards nurse training .

Northwestnurse's Response to holly123457's Review

Written on: 23/12/2014

Completely disagree. Maybe it has changed in the past 2 years.

“nurse training at uclan must be the worst in the u.k”

written by australia121 on 08/10/2012

Senior lecturers treat student nurses terrible, they fail student nurses who they want to fail. They don't even give second attempts to some student nurses. They like stdents to fail. Uclan is a terrible organised so called university .

Australia345's Response to australia121's Review

Written on: 15/10/2012

nurse training is terrible at university of central Lancashire . The lecturers like to see themselves as something they are not . The know very little about nursing . They like to fail students .
They close ranks on bereaving students . I do not see any empathy at university of central Lancashire .

Just do not go there !!!!!!!

Northwestnurse's Response to australia121's Review

Written on: 23/12/2014

I'm not sure what was going on at the time of you lot attending UCLan but it couldn't be further from what you're saying now. Students are given second attempts and granted extenuating circumstances regularly - the support base is second to none. Why would lecturers WANT to fail you? They couldn't fail you unless you deserved the fail - there's invigilators and processes to go through to stop them being able to fail you over nothing.

Frog12345's Response to australia121's Review

Written on: 09/07/2013

I agree uclan are terribly organised, they don't know which students are still on the courses, that is too bad . It's a micky mouse place .

Nicola12345's Response to australia121's Review

Written on: 30/10/2012

I agree, so called nurse training is terrible, lecturers don't give certain students 2nd attempts, if they don't want students to progress .

Harry23's Response to australia121's Review

Written on: 27/10/2012

I agree, they fail students on purpose to make an excuse on students progression and don't allow students with extenuating circumstances, such as students with dying family members to carry on with their training, uclan are known to terminate students whose family have cancer and fail students to say students are not making progress .

“do not go there”

written by on 05/09/2012

students are treated badly, choose another university

“UCLAN DO NOT GO HERE”

written by on 26/07/2012

This University must be one of the worst ran Universities in the country. During my time at the University I have received very poor lecturing, support and very little help from my lecturers. The amount of lectures was very poor, we received only 63 lectures a year in second and third year. We also had lecturers with very strong accents teaching us advanced subjects which made the course even more difficult. In addition to this after losing our main lecturer in a very advanced subject we were given no replacement and were simply given a teacher from an other aspect of the course with very little knowledge on the subject. Even the exams were unreasonable as we were testing on a lot of things we had not even discussed in the classroom and that was not on the syllabus. However one good thing about the University is the library as this is open 24 hours which is great for spending all night putting the finishing touches on your assignment and a free bus is provided for students. However the lack of quality lectures and little or no help from lecturers I would definitely not recommend this University to anyone. DO NOT TAKE A UCLAN COURSE RELATING TO FIRE.

“Needs to focus on staff training and professionalism”

written by on 19/04/2012

View from Current student in Science: Staff have sent out grades for everyone on the course to see. They also seem to have a nonchalant attitude when it comes to correcting mistakes THEY have made especially when grading work.

“UCLAN-Overall review”

written by Fringe on 02/08/2011

Started university in Septemeber 2010 and have been pleasnatly surprised. Campus: Situated in the centre of Preston. Clean and tidy campus, easy to get around and within easy walking distance to cinemas, supermarkets, takeaways, pubs, high street and vintage shops and other main university buildings. Lots of new buildings and feels quite safe to walk around.Preston Market available most days- good for bargains and cheap food. Nightlife: Lots of nightlife to choose from, from live mic nights in local bars, quiet pubs to lots of clubs, all set within close proximity to each other and Uclans accommodation, often saving students on taxi fares. University has its own club, 53 degrees, where there are weekly events such as comedy nights, and themed thursday club nights as well as live performers such as the vaccines, tinie tempah, chase and status, ellie goulding and dj scott mills. Lots of student nights in town, with lots of cheap drinks, often for under £1. University also has a students union bar, where there is often entertainment, music and cheap food on offer. Security: The university also operates a night bus, in which students can be picked up and dropped off safely back at their accommodation by the university bus free of charge, and there is CCTV all around campus. In university owned accommodation there is also 24hr security who patrol the area. Accommodation: Students are given a choice before enrolling whether they would prefer en suite or shared bathroom. Although shared bathrooms can be a little grotty, they are adequate and much better than other university accommodation I have seen. Bedrooms are a decent size, and a shared bathroom consists of a toilet room with sink, and toilet room with sink and bath/shower combo. Cleaners frequently visit to check state of halls and will report particularly unhygienic states. Any problems with accommodation, such as mattress not comfey, accommodations office will change for you free of charge. Facilities: University has a huge library, open 24hrs, with special key card system so only students can use this, complete with 2 huge IT rooms as well as work 'pods' which can be hired out free of charge for students who need some peace and quiet whilst revising. Extensive amount of books complete with special library search networks for ease. University email- complete with online email address book of all tutors so always very easy to get hold of tutors who are always happy to respond. University has lots of catering facilities around the campus, from buffet style cafes to sandwich cafes and coffee counters-all very reasonable and satisfactory quality. Lots of university support on offer, such as the 'i' which helps students from all problems ranging from finacial to personal, on campus doctors, 'futures' which helps students to become more employable, and emails regarding available university jobs. Course: Tutors very helpful, always happy to go through extras with one to one sessions. Lesson time often depends on individauls course, and most courses have lots of flexible modules to choose from.Some courses are all assignment based, whilst others have exams as well as assignments. Often lots of opportunity for placements, and year with experience etc. Lots of students from all ages, lots of mature students as well as younger students. Fabulous first year, looking forward to my second, would strongly recommend students live in halls in their first year to fully appriciate the university experience. University has a fresh, vibrant, colourful atmosphere. Would recommend, fantastic experience!!!!!!!

Asked by KristineJoella on 12th October 2014 Report this content
I need advice about going to UCLAN to study Forensic Science and Crime Investigation. Can someone help please?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site