Saga Car Insurance Reviews

Saga Car Insurance - Ask a question now

“**STAY AWAY** An absolute nightmare and incompetent...”

written by Juanr297 on 28/12/2022

**STAY AWAY** An absolute nightmare and incompetent company. Please read for your own benefits. I made a non-fault claim back in October when a speeding third-party tried to overtake me and hit my car. It took THREE days of my calling Saga to finally record the details of what happened and claim to be raised. After a WHOLE month and 18 back-to-back emails asking silly questions like: • “how long have you lived at your address”, and • “Do you take the car to work and where do you park it?” Saga failed to obtain the liability from the third-party’s insurer. They did not bother to check the CCTV of shops where the accident occurred. After 2 months of constant pointless calls asking to explain how the accident happened OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, Saga cancelled on me. I found this out when I called for an update and was told today was my last day, when I asked for an explanation, Saga claimed they sent me a letter 10 days prior — Totally Wrong! Stay away from this company. They might be offering cheaper price and now more than ever everyone is concerned about money but pay the few quid more elsewhere.

“If I could give zero stars I would”

written by Kirklandgl468 on 13/10/2022

If I could give zero stars I would. This is the worst car insurance company that I have had the misfortune to deal with. I made a non-fault claim in May 2022. Saga failed to obtain the liability from the other insurer resulting in me having to pay my excess for the repairs! They lost evidence sent to them. They seem to ignore the fact I had a police car right behind me who provided me with all the details I needed for my claim. I have not been kept updated from Saga, despite their boasts that they do. Saga have appeared to just not care. I have formally complained to them and have now referred the matter to the Financial Ombudsman (as instructed by their own complaints handler!) So much for caring for older people!!

Legacyone's Comment

Written on: 31/10/2022

This organisation is awful. I would not recommend them at all. I have a new claim which was handed over to their company that deals with care hire and repairs - Enterprise. I had a flurry of calls initially - I work and cannot take all calls at any time. After giving all the details to Saga I then had to go through the whole process again with Enterprise. Then they needed to send me a form via email. They left a message for me to contact them but you can't get through. I left a message - no one gets back. Someone else rang last week asking for my email address but having given them the address, I am still waiting for documents. I have tried to ring Saga this morning and after one hour on the phone and speaking to two people from different section of complaints have been told that there is a wait of on hour when you ring the claims department. I have asked for a call back which is going to happen within 24-48 hours! Fortunately, the damage to my care was only cosmetic but had the damage been more extreme and the car not drivable I would have been without a car!

Read 1 Comment

“Abandoned us”

written by AvoidSaga on 16/07/2022

I have always thought that Saga was a trusted name in insurance. However after the treatment I have received over the last three years trying to settle a claim after someone crashed into us I cannot express anything but disappointment. Saga washed their hands completely of the case, referring us to their underwriters who bogged us down in a lengthy legal dispute even though the other driver admitted full responsibility.

Antisaga's Response to AvoidSaga's Review

Written on: 26/08/2022

This does not surprise me.

As a former employee of Saga in my opinion the business has deteriorated significantly over the last Five years due to poor leadership especially within the claims arena.

Saga has a panel of underwriters where they send customers where it’s own underwriter (Acromas) does not want to insure the vehicle or person (risks).

Goes without saying Saga takes a percentage of the policy sale via commission etc.

I’d strongly advise you to shop around as much cheaper insurers and better customer service.

Read 1 Comment

“Extortionate cancellation fees”

written by Kenney289 on 04/02/2022

I cancelled my car insurance and the fees they charged to do this was extortionate. Need to consider this when buying car insurance.

“Absolutely dreadful when making a claim”

written by Jase1974 on 21/01/2022

I was asked by a long standing customer to repair their vehicle. Innovation group who handle their claims took a month to authorise repairs. Most companies take three days. I rang every day for three weeks but they refused to give me a contact number for an engineer who could authorise repairs. Obstructive and unhelpful they finally authorised then stated 45 days payment terms. They have now missed their payment date and I have handed invoice to a debt collection agency. Incompetent slow and unhelpful beyond belief. Disgusting way to behave. They don’t even pay their bills

“enjoyed renewal!”

written by pipefish24 on 11/06/2021

Just renewed car insurance,the scots lady I dealt with was not only fast and efficient but enabled me see the point of going from select to plus.Her whole approach to this transaction was so warm and personal that I would renew monthly, rather than yearly, to have similar conversations! I don't know names but I hope this member of your team is regarded as highly as I found her to be.

“do not disclose their fees”

written by raycodevon on 11/01/2021

I was charged £25 to renew a policy and £50 to cancel it for a small premium (£150) neither fee was disclosed before I bought the insurance. My complaint was dismissed and I had to resort to the ombudsman who got me £50 back, but this took many, many emails and 18 months. I couldn't be more unhappy and will never buy a Saga product again.

“Do not use”

written by mickyWilkerson on 21/01/2020

Company ok until you have to claim then you will regret ever going with them. Worse insurance company i have ever been with & I'm 61. 4 months to resolve & I'm out of pocket by over a £1000 in an accident i was totally innocent in. Pay a bit extra & go with a company more competent & more professional just in case you need to clai

Vmax9394's Response to mickyWilkerson's Review

Written on: 28/10/2021

Having sane problems, their contracted vehicle collection company is terrible, promises made to collect and call but nothing heard.
Documents sent back to the email sent on but when I checked they stated nothing received and apparently I had sent them to a different email address?? Days after and still not had vehicle collected by insurance approved engineers

Antisaga's Response to mickyWilkerson's Review

Written on: 26/08/2022

As a former employee of Saga I can sympathise as the claims operation is poorly managed by its leadership team.

The claims operation is under resourced due to its employees leaving due to poor working conditions.

So much knowledge and experience has left.

Read 2 Comments

“Won’t budge on price ”

written by Kilvington1 on 07/01/2020

I’ve recently cancelled my house insurance and now 2 car insurances with saga.i went on the comparison sites and saved over £800 a year.They weren’t bothered I’ve never claimed and didn’t realise until I researched that they are so expensive compared with exactly the same cover elsewhere

“They charge for non fault calls.”

written by Holden82 on 26/03/2019

Rang to inform them that my wife's car had been hit whilst parked in a supermarket car park, no one in it. The third party kindly left a note saying she was responsible and gave her details. I phoned all my insurance companys for my vehicles, as I am a named driver on my wife's insurance and saga were the only ones to say we are going to charge you £14.96 mid term penalty for reporting this. How discussing is that, what a bunch. Will not be using ever again....

“Awful customer care”

written by Coheny198 on 26/02/2019

I rang to discuss a change of car part way through a year- I have much cheaper quotes from other companies than Saga so expected them to offer a more competitive rate or refund me for 6 months unused insurance. The 'admin' fees for making changes and what can only be called a fine for cancelling part way through a year made it financially unreasonable to cancel or change to another provider. Essentially I have been financially blackmailed into remaining with an insurance company that has treated me with contempt. When it comes to renewing my insurance, and my wifes, I will definitely look elsewhere. How do these companies survive when they treat existing customers so badly?!! Wish I'd read the reviews on here before I signed up in the first place.

“Murder”

written by on 10/02/2019

I have described and published my experience with Saga in detail There was not a step that would not have been bungled by disrespectful and arrogant young people employed in the company and the pretty marketing contains rubbish. My experience entails several points where Saga acted unlawfully. In my opinion, Saga takes the elderly for a ride.

“Chancers ”

written by Laidlaw4 on 30/08/2018

Received our renewals which had increased by almost £200.for two cars. Got multi car cover on same basis through Go Compare saving more than £ 160. Do not automatically renew with Saga without getting a comparison quote. They are not the Company they used to be.

“Incompetent, lazy and very arrogant”

written by VeryDepressed on 30/08/2018

Received renewal quote which had increased by £135. Phoned Saga to ask how they could justify the increase and was shocked to hear the response "Ok No problem, would you be interested in receiving information on Saga holidays?" You can guess my response. Went on Go Compare site and got identical cover for £213 as opposed to Saga £465.23 Reading other reviews I'm amazed they have any customers. They certainly don't deserve any.

“Beware”

written by 386McCurdy on 04/05/2018

Chose cheapest on comparison website, when I tried to pay, a message said it could not insure me. When I asked why I was told that because I had reported an incident to my previous insurer 15% was added to the online price. I DID NOT AND NEVER HAD MADE A CAR INSURANCE TO ANY INSURANCE COMPANY. BEWARE SAGA CAR INSURANCE.

“very bad.”

written by sue-anna on 20/04/2018

ive had nothing but trouble from this company,i wish hadn't bothered,watch out for the admin fees etc and customer service the worse I have dealt with.avoid at all costs

“Protected no claims my backside”

written by joliam on 24/01/2018

Took out a car insurance policy with protected no claims and paid my policy up front which I usually don't do, I got an email telling me that a no fault claim from 18 months ago has shown up on their system and also a claim from 5 years ago for an accident I had in a works vehicle also non fault but disputed by the other driver,I now have been informed that my premium is going up by over 40% and basically protected no claims is not worth the paper its written on. Beware of this company as they are clueless and ignorant trying to constantly talk over you and talking to you like something they've trodden on,I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy.

“only one you need ”

written by Valeria408 on 29/10/2017

I had a crash , not my fault . Saga were top notch and really looked after me . I have my house contents with them as well , don't waste your time with others cause your wasting it .10/10

“TOTALLY USELESS AND INEPT”

written by winstonchurchil on 19/10/2017

Insured with saga motor insurance. Was involved in a no fault claim in june of this year (5months ago) unfortunately our renewal fell within days of the incident so we were offered renewal with no no claims as there was an ongoing claim which was not settled. We decided to wait to re insure as the renewal team refused to give us a renewal quote figure after settlement, so we would have been in a position where we may not have received anything back as we would have accepted the inflated renewal figure. We hear nothing, so have to keep ringing for updates, which there are never any as they dont do anything to try sort out the claim. Spoke to a guy nearly a month ago was told that they were waiting for the other side to respond to the last letter sent, every time they send correspondence they have to give 28 days for a response? He assured me that in three days the month period for the other side to respond would be up and at that point they would instruct a solicitor as the solicitor could put a lot more pressure on the other side. Just spoke to them again only to be told the other side did not respond in the given timeframe, no solicitor has been instructed, no solicitor will be instructed, as there is no loss? He then explained that as we have not had our car repaired there is no loss? At no time have we been instructed by saga to have our car repaired. The damage to my car is a small scratch to the rear wheel arch and because of that we have had no car for nearly half a year. Oh he did apologise for the wrong information given by the last guy i spoke to. If i had a hundred pounds for every time they apologised i would be a extremely wealthy individual, sorry is a small word, but if its thrown in every time we speak and not meant then it means nothing. I am now told that the claim team will be contacting me over the next few days and is that alright... No its not all right, they should have contacted me weeks ago when you did not instruct a solicitor. I am then informed that they have had the papers and need to read the claim, i doubt that very much, how long does it take to read the claim reports, as they never send any letters it must be a anorrexit folder, cant take that long. I believe that once again after lying to me about the solicitor that my file has been sent nowhere and when i have rung today and started shouting someone who has not so far done his job has now been forced to do his job, get his finger out and send my file on to whoever. Do not insure with this company, they do not do anything they promise to do, but they are to often sory.. Ooh no one has done a thing once again so i can only appologise. Excuses, then more of the same. Its a shame that that are not so slow and uncaring when the renewal fees are due, my god they are on the ball and quick to chase things up then. An extremely frustrated, angry car less ex customer

“car and home insurance”

written by PedroFitzsimmons250 on 05/09/2017

I got excellent service today for house and car insurance and as per last year a very pleasant transaction ...i'm well pleased with reasonable price and conversation with staff member i spoke to....thanks

Asked by Malrieuorhillcrest on 30th June 2014 Report this content
Saga provide unlimited European use on their car insurance which is the main reason I use them. Has anyone any experience of them being difficult about cars parked at secure airport car parks abroad? I am in France and flying back to UK for a couple of weeks to see the kids, leaving the car at Toulouse airport. Have read the policy and it looks OK but the circumstances are unusual perhaps. Grateful for views.

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site