Sony PlayStation 2 Reviews

Fill Rate: 2.4 Million pixels/sec
Polygons Per Second: 66 Million
Storage Type
Optical Drive Type: DVD-ROM
Optical Drive Speed: 24x (CD) 4x (DVD)
Audio
Audio Support: Dolby Digital 5.1 48 Audio Channels
Audio Out: Digital Out (Optical) Connector Multi-channel surround sound output
Technical Features
Communication Type: Infrared Fast Ethernet USB 1.1
Controller Pad Ports: 2
Expansion Slots: Memory Card Slot x 2
Input / Output Ports: RJ-45 2 x Game Controller Port 2 x USB 2 x Memory Unit Slots
DVD Movie Playback: DVD Movie Playback
Supported Languages: English French German Spanish Italian

“u r a fakin...”

Written on: 20/05/2010

u r a fakin WANKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!… Read Full Review

“This is a very reliable console that will last for a...”

Written on: 12/11/2009 by The Tattonator (49 reviews written)

This is a very reliable console that will last for a good length of time. The range of games are immense! But graphics can lack on some games (although this is down to the games, not the PS2!), but it is great value for money due to its long life & reliability. A good buy for retro (but not TOO retro) gamers… Read Full Review

“The PlayStation is very successful, its great. ”

Written on: 12/10/2008 by swanndry93 (43 reviews written)

The PlayStation is very successful, its great.
Its affordable $100, reliable, I have owned mine 4 years+
Adaptable so many accessories.
The only problem is the large model fan can really get dusty and stuff up make sure you clean it also quite large and bulky, but also available in.
Slim which is very light and slim and portable. The PlayStation is to date the best selling console on the market having reached over 140 million units in sales by mid-2008.overall great cheap buy recommend it to… Read Full Review

“After handing my original PS2 over to my brother when...”

Written on: 24/05/2008 by Adam Hussein (6 reviews written)

After handing my original PS2 over to my brother when I got my Xbox a few years ago, I recently decided to get myself the slimline model off Ebay fairly cheap, and I must say that despite some minor faults with it I'm rather happy. I've also got an Xbox 360 which I am selling due to lack of use, quite frankly most of the games for it are too pricey and seem to be aimed at more hardcore gamers. Whereas there are plenty of games for casual gamers like myself on the PS2. I have no reason to spend… Read Full Review

Angco's Response to Adam Hussein's Review

Written on: 08/07/2008

This is one of the great consoles and the main let was the graphics on some games, the console was great in its time and as a gamer I was very happy with it, the range of games was great but it ran a little too long and should have been updated as soon as the Xbox was released.

Read 1 Comment

“Sony PlayStation 2 is very good had it for a while now...”

Written on: 18/02/2008 by bazzablue13 (19 reviews written)

Sony PlayStation 2 is very good had it for a while now reliable good graphics a bit addicting good games on it but very fun… Read Full Review

“Plays games great. But mine wont play DVD, even after...”

Written on: 02/02/2008 by NOT NOW (1 review written)

Plays games great. But mine wont play DVD, even after changing the settings according to instructions, would never purchase the PS2 again until I work out how to control this problem… Read Full Review

“I've got it for almost two years and I think I haven't...”

Written on: 30/08/2007 by lpavli3 (5 reviews written)

I've got it for almost two years and I think I haven't played a better console than this one. It's small, quite cheap, good-looking and you can find loads of games in almost every computer shop. Nowadays, the games are getting almost hard to find, because the new generation consoles have been released, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360... and the shops are full of games for these consoles, but there is no problem to find original games on eBay.
It's also quiet and if you have the genuine… Read Full Review

Patriciakent's Response to lpavli3's Review

Written on: 31/08/2007

I found this review helpful because it tells you about problems with DivX format

Read 1 Comment

“The Playstaion 2 is a very good console, loads of...”

Written on: 15/02/2007 by Anonymous101 (1 review written)

The Playstaion 2 is a very good console, loads of games are available for just about every conceivable premise thinkable. These days(Feb07), the PS2 has become a little dated in terms of graphics and gameplay as we are entering the next generation of gaming(Xbox360 and Nintendo Wii), the long-awaited arrival of the Playstation 3 will render the Playstation 2 defunct, but the PS2 has been a fantastic console and it can be proud of the enjoyment it has given people around the globe. From a shop… Read Full Review

Raehippychick's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 19/02/2007

Definitely an easy set up and operation - even I can play the odd (easy) game on the Sony Playstation 2 with no input or assistance from my teenage son!
<br/>
<br/>An added bonus is it plays DVD's, which is how I came to own one in the first place. It doubled as a DVD player and games console - not bad for the money at the time!

252776_Anonymous101's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 20/02/2007

I forgot to mention that in my review, of course the PS2 doubles as a DVD player!!

Read 2 Comments

“A very good piece of kit! I got mine now about 4 years...”

Written on: 21/11/2006 by ajmachg (20 reviews written)

A very good piece of kit! I got mine now about 4 years ago!! But since then it has not once broken or crashed. I haven't had to take it apart or anything. It was the best £300 - £400 I spent (when it was new of course)!!

I still play on the Sony PlayStation 2 games console, even though all my mates have got new Xbox 360's. I love the simplicity of it, and being a Sony you can't beat it for reliability or performance!! I play online with friends and just random people all over the world, and… Read Full Review

“I got my Sony PlayStation 2 for Christmas the year it...”

Written on: 08/06/2006 by alialiali (9 reviews written)

I got my Sony PlayStation 2 for Christmas the year it came out (don't remember what year though). It was great to begin with, but I, my brother, and my brothers friend, all gave up due to the fact it dies after a couple of years (if you're lucky it lasts that long). My brother's mate bought 3 in two years! They start off by not reading CDs and DVDs, and you know it's on its way out to a slow and painful (and really annoying) death, as it scratches up all your games and refuses to load anything… Read Full Review

“The PS2 is a great system is a great console and I...”

Written on: 14/04/2006 by sk8freek3288 (3 reviews written)

The PS2 is a great system is a great console and I recommend it to anyone that likes video games and wants a better system than Nintendo 64, Sega, Playstation 1 or any of the older systems.
It has the best selection in games and the grafics aren't bad.
The controllers are easy to use and are the same as the PS1.
I've had super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and Gamecube.
I like the Playstation 2 better than any that I've had.
I still have the Gamecube but the games are more like
Wallace and Gromit… Read Full Review

“I've had my PS2 since last year, and it hasn't broken...”

Written on: 12/12/2005 by OMEGAGODLY (10 reviews written)

I've had my PS2 since last year, and it hasn't broken or shutdown once. It only plays PS2 games, and has good graphics, is fun to play against people, and it is a great last generation games machine. I would recommend the PS2 to anyone… Read Full Review

“I bought the Sony PlayStation 2 last Christmas...”

Written on: 19/07/2005 by Shane11 (4 reviews written)

I bought the Sony PlayStation 2 last Christmas (12/04). I saved enough money for it. My dad bought the games for it. I really love the PlayStation2. I won an Xbox at school but I like the PlayStation2 better I think. The PlayStation2 controller I like, but thats me. No complaints about the Xbox though… Read Full Review

“Sony PlayStation 2 - The PS2 is great for non serious...”

Written on: 03/06/2005 by jlofty (7 reviews written)

Sony PlayStation 2 - The PS2 is great for non serious gamers but that's about it. The online abilities don't even touch XBox Live. Only two controller ports. A lot of the games are rubbish and the laser which reads the disc is unreliable… Read Full Review

“I got my Sony Playstation 2 about a year after the...”

Written on: 12/05/2005 by blacKnight05 (4 reviews written)

I got my Sony Playstation 2 about a year after the release. Personally, I have not had a problem with it besides a dirty lens. So from my experience, the system is very reliable. I have heard many stories about the unreliability of the Playstation 2, but I have been pleased. Of course, the PS2 has the BEST selection of games because it was released a year before the other systems. This resulted in a lack of graphical superiority. In my opinion though, the huge selection of games makes up for… Read Full Review

“My PS2 has not broken down and lived through a fall...”

Written on: 04/04/2005 by MatrixRunner (1 review written)

My PS2 has not broken down and lived through a fall from on top of a cupbored.
(It was on top of the cupbored because it was being hidden for christmas). Its not the PS2 console graphics that are bad, but the game graphics. Don't forget that Xbox has many of the same games as PS2. I find that most of the graphics are good but you often find a few bad games out there but that is because there are so many PS2 games out there. The PS2 is also good for watching DVD, (Though it has a shorting DVD… Read Full Review

“Back in February of 2004, my friends talked me into...”

Written on: 29/03/2005 by SamusAran551 (38 reviews written)

Back in February of 2004, my friends talked me into buying a Sony PS2. I had played their's for years, and always have thought about it, but never did. Finally I broke down and bought one. For the first month of owning it, I played it non-stop. There were SO many games to try out! Well, after that month, I stopped playing it. I went back to my GameCube (which I tend to do all the time) and didn't touch my PS2 for months. People, I don't understand what the big hype is over the PS2. Granted, it… Read Full Review

Written on: 27/04/2005

Ok you "broke down" [cried] over the PS2 and that it had SO many games then decide that you don't like for no reason!? You said you had played your friends PS2 for "years" and later say that you have customers call you saying that their PS2 broke brand new. BULL!!! Just to let you know Samus I have a 4 year old in great condition and working perfectly PS2 in my house!!!! What are you against all game companies except Nintendo? I think you're full of it Samus.

Written on: 01/12/2005

That review was a long time ago, and I have changed my views. But I stand by what I say about the defects.

Eruditeguy's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 29/11/2005

Stephen, you are dumb. You just played my PS2 with me yesterday and you bad-mouth Xbox all the time at work. You say you agree with me about Xbox being the one with problems and that Sony at least knows its butt from a hole in the ground. Stop flip-flopping every month about things.

Written on: 07/06/2005

That is the way it goes at a game store. They all come at the same time. It is annoying, but usually there is down time. Whatever, that's retail for you.

Written on: 05/06/2005

lol he probally doesn't. ahh man, I've been in my local game store [eb games] and yeh I know what you're talking about. I was going to trade in one of my old sega games and I swear if every person in town chose the same day to go to eb games......

Written on: 24/05/2005

LOL. Yeah, speaking of which...I just had a VERY busy night. We had trade-ins up the butt tonight. By the way, thanks for stickin' up for me on my reviews. GiantElectric really does search for my reviews and then mocks me. It is getting annoying. Doesn't he have anything better to do?

Written on: 22/05/2005

I've seen a game store when it's busy, not a great place to be in.

Written on: 15/05/2005

yeh it's alight i understand.

Written on: 05/05/2005

Sorry I snapped man. I think I was having a bad day. But I do get those calls/complaints every shift, I really wasn't lying.

Written on: 03/05/2005

Ahh dude alright but I've never seen a ps2 break down except when my friend was moving his and he dropped it... but I can't argue with you if you work at a gamestore and people call you so alright, I am sorry about that.

Written on: 28/04/2005

Dude, quit being a jerk. And I am NOT full of it. I work at a game store, and I get calls and complaints every shift AT LEAST saying their PS2 broke down or won't do this or won't do that. Just beacuse yours works fine does not mean that all the rest do too. You need to get your facts straight before you start insulting me.

Read 11 Comments

“Okay, the PS2 has the largest selection of software...”

Written on: 08/03/2005 by pepsidew (6 reviews written)

Okay, the PS2 has the largest selection of software and some truly great series such as Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto, the controller has a good arcade type feel for arcade games, online capabilities; now the PS2 has huge cons. PS2 has some great software but its few and far between, the graphics aren't very good, I personally hate the PS2 controller because I hate the grip on it and the arcade type feel doesn't work for every type of game, and Sony makes the crappiest hardware, I bought a… Read Full Review

Spardante's Response to pepsidew's Review

Written on: 24/03/2005

Well, just to comment, to me, Sony makes the best hardware. I have had a PS2 since the day it came out, and have even dropped it a few times, and it is still in great working condition. However, I have had to buy 4 Xboxes because of it's damn hard drive failure. You would think a company like Microsoft would put more effort into its product.

Read 1 Comment

“The Sony PS2 is the most fun console out there.”

Written on: 27/02/2005 by gooneys 3000 (1 review written)

The Sony PS2 is the most fun console out there… Read Full Review

Samusaran551's Response to 184381_gooneys 3000's Review

Written on: 27/04/2005

Okay, back up your statement. How or why is it the most fun?

Read 1 Comment

“I've had a black ps2 for ages and no problems...”

Written on: 03/12/2004 by sumo guy (4 reviews written)

I've had a black ps2 for ages and no problems whatsoever. No crashes, no nothing. The range of games is great, what with titles like NFSU2 and GTA San Andreas. Totally recommend buying one, not a new look one as they are not worth it. also makes a fantastic cd player for all you audiophiles out there… Read Full Review

Masdebater's Response to sumo guy's Review

Written on: 14/04/2005

It would make a great cd player if I already didn't have 4! My PS2 broke a while ago so I got one of the new smaller ones and it is so much better. My friend bought a bulky PS2 just before the small ones came out and it already says disk read error.

Samusaran551's Response to sumo guy's Review

Written on: 05/05/2005

You gave the graphics a 10? Ok. What are you comaparing them to? Sega Genesis?

Read 2 Comments