Vauxhall Astra Sport 16V Reviews

Vauxhall Astra Sport 16V - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Astra Sport 16V

“Help”

written by Scotty1988 on 25/08/2013

I'm thinking about buying a vauxhall Astra 1.8 looks really nice but I'm unsure because it has 1500000 miles on the clock it's a lot of miles

“They are nice to drive comfy big boot for my sub sound...”

written by philsme on 04/06/2008

They are nice to drive comfy big boot for my sub sound amazing with decent exhaust on you need a capacitior if you have an amp pumping more than 250watts rms I run a 1200wattrms and it nearly turns my head lights off when I have it load. Parts are very easy to find if you go to a breakers.

“I have the Vauxhall Astra 1.8 16v SXi on a 51 plate I...”

written by rickastra on 24/02/2008

I have the Vauxhall Astra 1.8 16v SXi on a 51 plate I love the car nice and nippy really comfy ride, I would tell anyone to get it. It also says my car has cruise control but I can't find it any where if anyone can help? That would be cool. Otherwise I love my car its in black as well.

“Super car, effortless drive”

written by on 06/12/2007

Super car, effortless drive

“Overall this is a great car - I loved it but it just...”

written by Trev150 on 19/11/2006

Overall this is a great car - I loved it but it just needs a bit more power.

This is the best of the MK4 hatchback range.

“I have had my Astra Twinport Sport on a 54 plate since...”

written by micma5 on 12/03/2006

I have had my Astra Twinport Sport on a 54 plate since October, I love it, it's nippy with good handling and easy to drive. The gearbox is a bit notchy but I got used to that.

“I have a 1999 T reg Vauxhall Astra Sport 16V 1.8 which...”

written by xanderblade on 20/10/2004

I have a 1999 T reg Vauxhall Astra Sport 16V 1.8 which I find is a very nice car with cheap insurance and its quite economical. The only problems I have found are the squeeky seats and centre console and I also find the gearbox lumpy while cold. I just wonderd if anyone could tell me when they introduced the trip computer as mine does not have this option. It comes with T.C ABS and airbags CD player but no trip computer controls on wiper arm. Im also finding it difficult to find parts as I would like to add a strut brace to compliment the lotus tuned chassis. Does anybody know if the Ecotech cp26p actualy works on the astra? I also just wish my car had the same 16's as the astra SXI as my wheels are only 15's The lack of spoiler also spoils the finish to the otherwise great looking shell.

Sonywega's Response to xanderblade's Review

Written on: 20/01/2006

The trip computer came as an optional extra, called the technical pack.

454246_Plutotan's Response to xanderblade's Review

Written on: 15/04/2009

same here, mine has computer, just before V plate, also struggle for parts. how do i get more power, its quick on take of but dont get me fast enough faster
<br/>

“I first tested a astra coupe with the same engine size...”

written by Richard. on 07/12/2002

I first tested a astra coupe with the same engine size and I loved it. However I didn't love the 14000 pound asking price, so I decided to take a sport for a test drive, ok it's not as nice looking as the coupe but once I drove it for the first time I felt attracted to it, and decided to part with 6000 of my hard erned British pounds there on the spot, the first thing I noticed was the low gear power and the breaking power, also the gearing was just about perfect, and the lotus tuned suspension made me actually feal part of the road. Don't take my word go and test drive one and see for your self.

61638_Mike.'s Response to 56419_Richard.'s Review

Written on: 30/12/2002

Spot On

Cdavis's Response to 56419_Richard.'s Review

Written on: 22/01/2004

No actually the coupe versions were NOT tuned in any way by lotus, this only applies to the saloon versions. Vauxhall did all of it's in house work on that particular model! Although I heard it still handles well for vauxhall being 20mm's lower to the floor than saloon versions. But remember the CORSA was actually lotus tuned as well and anyone thats driven that as a full car will tell you lotus has not done it many favors. Although what can be expected for large block a reduce in body roll.....i think not!

“The new Astra (Mk4/G) is an excellent car, the level...”

written by Rob. on 08/03/2002

The new Astra (Mk4/G) is an excellent car, the level of equipment is comparable with a luxury car (Cruise control, Trip computer, loads of airbags, CD Changer.....). The car handles like a dream thanks to Lotus and the power is brilliant yet refined. The traction control really helps you get off the mark with minimum tyre bills! Also the speed sensitive power steering gives you the feel of absolute control, no matter what the speed.
HOWEVER, there are a few niggles! Has any one else had any trouble with the seats on the 3 door models, they are supposed to tilt and slide but most of the time they only tilt!! This has cause many a problem, especially when I take older people out. They find it almost imposible to get out of the car. The other problem that I have had is the relay that controls the main beem keeps freezing! This is bad in this time of road rage, you just flash your lights to thank someone and the blooming thing stays on. This is one good way to annoy people! I am not the only person that this has happened to either (http://www.hippy.freeserve.co.uk/astra.htm). If any one else has had the same problem with the seat please email me on [email protected] and I will compile a list to present to Vauxhall. People Power.

Other than those little faults I love my car! (It seems 100 times better than my old Mk3 N E way)

Clampy.'s Response to 15239_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 07/12/2002

I have a '98 2.0 SRi and has all three of the same faults as well as squeaky seats. In the 15 months of ownership the dealership has had the car more than us. Oil needed topping up every 500 miles, this went on for a year before they finally found the valve stem seals had gone. other faults include manifold head gasket, cylinder head gasket, cam sensor, coolant sensor problems, steering column collapsed, power steering pump, sunroof rails distorted, seat tilt cable, corrosion on both doors. Just had a recall for the seat springs which require replacing. Car is currently back in the garage after been told not to drive it due to a heavy rattling coming from somewhere within the valve gear. Awaiting diagnosis on that one,
All in all the worst car I've owned yet somehow I still like it, along with the other 7 vauxhalls I have owned.

Astra Sport's Response to 15239_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 19/03/2007

I don't have the 1.8 but the 1.6 but nontheless I have the same interior and the seats do seem to have a mind of there own, once in about a 100 times in tilting the seat forwards the seat will actually do what its designed to do and slide forward and I have also had the problem with the main beam sticking on, does get really annoying especially on country lanes.

Brunofigueiredo's Response to 15239_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 23/01/2004

I've also got a 1999 2.0 SRi and I love the car, just stick a PiperX cold air induction kit on it and watch it fly off the mark. They're great cars for motorway but town driving they spend as much in fuel as a Scoobie. Plans for a remapped ECU are next, maybe it'll bring the fuel costs down?
<br>
<br>PS - I've also noticed the seats are a bit squeaky every now and again, but with the sound system pumping out tunes you really can't hear anything else anyways...

109910_Kr1.'s Response to 15239_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 23/06/2003

ive got one and its great.