Barratt Homes Reviews - www.barratthomes.co.uk

Barratt Homes www.barratthomes.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Barratt Homes www.barratthomes.co.uk

Barratt Homes www.barratthomes.co.uk

“Poor service”

Written on: 17/09/2022 by Scott83 (1 review written)

Bought a new home from them. They used all cheap materials. Within one year things started falling apart.do not buy from them ! No value for money!

“DO NOT BUY FROM BARRATT HOMES ”

Written on: 01/04/2022 by EthenConnell (1 review written)

We have had non stop issues since buying with Barratt homes - terrible service! The day we moved in there were poo marks in all our toilets and urine stains on toilet seats, absolutely disgusting! Holes in the carpet, grout over all the tiles, mould in the rooms, endless snags. The fact they think it's appropriate to sign off a house in that state speaks volumes, all they care about is taking your money! Everything in the house is done to a very very poor standard, you can see they have cut lots of corners and used the cheapest materials! They claim their houses are energy efficient but the house is FREEZING due to an open tube going from extractor fan in the kitchen to outside letting all the cold air in, apparently this is standard! I have bought new build houses before with other builders and the difference in standard is unbelievable. The worst part of our service is the lies we were told during the sales process. Our house is on a brand new road still being built after we moved in. We were assured by the sales team numerous times when buying the house that the road would be 20mph with a restriction meaning lorries cannot use the road. We explained how important this was to us as we will not buy a house on a main road. Now the road has finally opened and turns out this was all lies! The road is not 20mph and is actually a main access road to a new industrial estate so lorries are driving past my front door all day long. This has been totally miss sold and I cannot believe the deceit from barratt, its actually disgusting the way they treat customers. Terrible terrible service, this was supposed to be our forever home and now I'm desperate to move. Do not buy with Barratt homes, avoid at all costs!

“Use them and regret”

Written on: 04/01/2022 by Sharmaa786 (1 review written)

Barratt Development is worse builders on market. Do not purchase any property built by Barratt! They are under investigation by CMA (Governement) for misleading consumers and writing leases that ONLY benefit them. Ground rent doubles every few years! Do not fall for fake reviews you read on here. I have a Flat built by Barratt that I cannot sell or remortgage due to terms of lease. ONLY Developer now that has refused to remove ground rent. Stay away or you will regret. They hand over all properties to FirstPort managing agents. One google will give you answer to all the malicious praticies by this company.

“Poor building ”

Written on: 25/12/2021 by 232Garcia (1 review written)

We bought 2 bed apartment at New Mill Quarter at Pointelle House a year ago!!! Iwould like to inform anyone buying property from Barrat Home 5 star builder. Be prepared to experience horrible and disgusting sound transmission from your neighbours. Example, people walking and conversing, chairs moving, flushing the toilet, urinating, blowing nose, baby crying, banging doors, working lift. This is our every day life. After formal complaint Barrat keep ignoring problems, saying soundproofing has been designed and installed. They are not even bothered to come and check. I’m myself am a builder , 20 years experience and very familiar with regulations and I have found drainage pipes with no acoustic lagging, Party wall on dot and dab with no insulation and skirting cover unfinished that party wall, all exterior walls on dot and dab, with no insulation however in handover documents Barratt’s states exterior walls are constructed metal studs, insulation plasterboard and masonry , bs not true Enormous condensation on the windows, a draft from one of them. I’m Fed up with the quality, Barrat doesn’t want to admit their mistakes. This is unacceptable!!! My solicitors will take over

“It's NOT freehold ”

Written on: 08/12/2021 by Nash58 (1 review written)

You will own the build but not the land. They charge a yearly land maintenance fee that in my area is up to £550/year but we were told by the sale agent they could increase it anytime. If you don't pay then the house will be repossessed. You're not allowed to make extra changed to the exterior of the build without obtaining relevant permission by them even though you own the build. They build lots of social housing on each site.

“Underwhelmed!”

Written on: 02/12/2021 by thunderblob10 (1 review written)

Barratt homes are great when you're purchasing a home, but as a neighbour, after the purchase, they are a total nuisance. If you purchase early on a development expect a few years of misery, forget summers, and outside living! The level of nuisance through dust is excessive and by law, they must control it, by storing fine materials undercover and damping fine materials and roadways but they choose not to. Contractors arrive really early and park anywhere, double-parked in some cases. We have had their compound alarm go off just after contractors left, it continued all night even though most of the estate contacted the hotline, it was turned off when contractors turned up the next morning. Working outside of hours also seems normal. I would not recommend Barratt homes.

“Unfit for habitation”

Written on: 17/08/2021

When we bought a new home from Barratts to let on June 30th 2021 there was no flooring on the ground floor although we had paid extra for it. There was nothing the oven such as grill pan the fence was broken the plants in front of the house were dead There was mould in the kitchen cupboards and skirting (this is an on going problem ) our tenants are continually wiping off mould. The house was not cleaned, even excrement in the toilet. Barratts compensated us half a months rent. Unfortunately 48 days later the oven still has no grill pan the plants have not been replaced and obviously we are having to placate our tenants Do not to agree to a completion date on a house to let from Barratts before it is finished You have to chase, chase and chase again to get anything done

“What after care?”

Written on: 28/08/2020 by UnhappyMatt (1 review written)

After care team for S.Wales are an absolute waste of space. No customer service at all,and completely uninterested in helping resolve issues. Beware.

“Avoid at all costs ”

Written on: 18/02/2020 by nxLockhart1946 (1 review written)

When you first move before you have given them HBF review barratt will do anything for you. But the reality is their houses are poor quality homes built by sub contractors who don't care. In the 3 years in have had my house excluding many small snagging issues we have dealt with the following.... new tiles on roof, lots of repointing, new one suite door frame, new main bathroom floor 3 times, massive leak through kitchen ceiling, garden relayed, new drainage in garden, entire kitchen floor ripped up to repair concrete underneath, all work surfaces replaced and currently the canopy it seems isn't sealed properly and over time has filled with water so now leaks into the house.

“AVOID! Barratts do NOT care about their customers!”

Written on: 07/06/2018 by Piperuy17 (1 review written)

If I could give 0 stars I would! Customer advisors don't tell you accurately what’s included and when you complain they all cover for each other! The director of our local branches words were how could their sales advisors possibly know what the customer thought was included ....... this is their job? What they get paid to do? This is just one of the poor excuses you’ll hear from barratts. When we first complained they tried to force us out of our contract but wouldn’t refund any of the money we’d already forked out on legal fees or storage etc. Non of their customer care team actually cared. Good luck attempting to get anywhere with these fools they make it clear they have absolutely no time for you ... unless you copy in the CEO to your complaint then they act like they do for a brief moment which is then followed by the same old rubbish excuses. We haven’t even moved in yet and the whole experience has been nothing but stressful! After reading numerous forums, Facebook groups & reviews I have no doubt that we will have a mountain of issues once we move into our poorly built house. If your thinking of buying Barratt DONT! Avoid at all costs!

Ottoshanks's Comment

Written on: 19/11/2019

Echo our thoughts entirely. Once they have clinched the sale they lose interest in you like certain car sales people. It is also a bit like buying certain brands of car. You get 4 wheels an engine and a body everything else is optional. Barretts houses are the same, a shell, a roof and X number of rooms etc. the rest being optional adding up several thousands of pounds in extras to get something reasonable. Beware of their recommended 'other' agencies. The recommended solicitors are very expensive and mirror Barrett customer care. The annual site maintenance is suspicious. Leasehold has been replaced by annual site fees managed by, so we are told ex Barrett employees. No doubt once the site is finished it will be hived off to another management company who will go whoopee and hike the annual!

“Chapel Gate Basingstoke”

Written on: 25/04/2018 by MarthaMcQueen322 (1 review written)

Sales staff were helpful, there is a stupid 10 day completion rule which in my mind is madness. I was moving from rented accommodation only to be told my House wouldn't be ready on the estimated date which would have left me homeless. Thankfully Barratts pulled a rabbit from the hat and we moved in with two days to spare very stressful. Once in very few snags customer support manager has been very helpful, even put a skip outside for us to dump all our packing Barratts get a slating on most reviews but I have to give them the thumbs up so far !

Geosort's Comment

Written on: 01/05/2018

This is a very positive discourse with emotive language 'homeless', 'stressful', 'helpful', 'rabbit out the hat', 'thumbs up so far'. This is more like a sales commentary rather than a review. It would be helpful with a 4* review to have more supporting evidence. As this goes against the 'slating' 1* reviews particularly regarding customer service.

Newhomebasingstoke's Comment

Written on: 01/05/2018

Hi

Main reason I made the time to write this review was because of the negative press. Moving is stressful things do go wrong. However after reading disaster stories I was pleasantly surprised

I am now on week 4 defects have been logged and reported, I received a phone call from Barratts yesterday they have dispatched a plumber and a Glaser today to asses and address the reported issues.

Again cant fault them they have been so far very helpful before completion and the aftercare so far has also been good

Geosort's Comment

Written on: 02/05/2018

Thanks for the comprehensive reply to my comment. While short on detail I am sure you are 'over the moon' with the service you have received particularly how they access the issues. I presume there is a problem with the window seals?

Newhomebasingstoke's Comment

Written on: 02/05/2018

No the window seals are fine, there are some scratches on the skylight window

There was a blockage on the shower drainage which was backing up to the downstairs sink, blockage was removed yesterday appears to be fine today
The skylight they are coming back to resolve

all good so far

Read 4 Comments

“dont buy at wallace fields glasgow”

Written on: 13/03/2018 by Elle424 (1 review written)

shocking company dont buy after they have your money they dont care

“Cardboard box”

Written on: 15/12/2017 by 158Gordon (1 review written)

Recently moved into a rented new build Barratt, I thought it would be quieter than my last property as it had concrete floors, and not just floorboards, huge mistake. I hear every pounding footstep, every conversation, light switch, cupboards and drawers banging, and every door being slammed makes the whole flat shake (I’m not exaggerating). I hear every word of conversations, every cough, sniff and sneeze, every burp and every fart. How this build has met sound insulation regulations is beyond me. There’s no insulation in the walls, it’s just timber and plasterboard, and they move when pushed on. The floors have sunk by 2mm, leaving gaps all under the skirting boards. Worst place I have ever lived, and will be moving as soon as I can.

“I only rent a barrat home through an association...”

Written on: 13/12/2017 by 398Sharpe (1 review written)

I only rent a barrat home through an association however I wouldn't but a shed of these imcompitant fools don't think between them a spirit level has a bubble that works or a paint brush with bristles complete tways and won't fix anything my trickle vents don't close properly never have this is the second winter now that I can't heat flat stat on 23 constantly else we get a head chill in night Rant over

“Why can't we have zero stars? ”

Written on: 15/11/2017 by kfHardy37 (1 review written)

Want poor quality housing? Buy a Barratt home. Or, want to make loads of money? Pretend to be a property management company - as long as you agree to give Barratt their percentage of the profit from (preferably hugely inflated) management fees, they will love you forever. Barratt Homes? A Thatcherite dream come true.

Billygoat1's Comment

Written on: 26/11/2017

this is spot on, a great assessment of a dinosaur property developer. and their property management partner are out right theives

Read 1 Comment

“Low quality homes with leaks and mold infestation ”

Written on: 09/11/2017 by binderstefan (1 review written)

Avoid Barratt and this property at all cost. Building work is not done properly. In my case I had 3 water leaks in my brand new apartment. This cause a massive mold infestation. Barrat, especially the person I dealt with don't even wanna deal with the mess and work on rectifying it. Shame! Avoid! It's been 4 weeks and the leak is still ongoing!

“Five star joke”

Written on: 07/11/2017 by Pries (1 review written)

It is beyond me how Barrat homes can claim to be five star based on our experience. When we moved in the house not been cleaned, glue all over the the Amtico flooring, two of the sink pedestals had fist sized chunks missing, large dent in garage door which did not even touch the floor. Poor quality sink and has hob. Paint finish that looked it had been done by a child flicking paint at the walls, silicone on the exterior of the Windows that didn't touch the wall. Down pipe from the gutters that was not connected. C The above is just an example of the faults to our new home that had supposedly been inspected by the site agent and a Barrage director. On top of this the site agent continually said to make sure we have him a five star rating on the customer survey and once he had it he did not return calls or reply to e-mails

“Appalling customer service after purchase.”

Written on: 11/09/2017 by akinolafalola (1 review written)

Up to completion, customer service was stellar, after that, it is downward all the way. They push you to complete the NBHC survey quickly after purchase, this is the reason they have 5* rating. Their real performance is what you see here. House is already leaking after 3 months (minimal water on floor for less than 5 minutes) but this is normal according to Barratt. They basically just said if you get water on the floor, the bathroom will leak. So we have a bathroom that we can't mop for fear of leakage. House was missing windows support reported 4 months ago and we are still waiting for this to be fixed. We bought off-plan and expect any faults present on completion to be rectified but Barratt said no, unless you can put a 1 pound coin into a crack, we'll not repair it. Customer service can't communicate, they are only trained to say no to all repair issues. Will definitely not be buying another home built by Barratt.

“Banging noise heard everyday since moving in 2yrs ago”

Written on: 01/09/2017 by 332Carpenter (1 review written)

At first we thought it was just the new house settling but then the bang just kept being heard day in day out about 6 - 12 times and it is loud! We hear it in the living room ceiling above the French doors. Barratt visited the property after I reported it to them but unfortunately they never heard the noise. I had to keep pushing to get them to come back and they started cutting holes in the upstairs floorboards to check for anything loose but couldn't find anything. Friends and family who came to the house all heard the bang as they mainly came round on evenings when it seems to be more frequent. Barratt only visited for short spells during the day and have still to this day not heard anything. I contacted the NHBC who also did their own inspection but alas they did not hear the bang either as again they only stayed for short periods. Nobody at Barratt seems to understand what the word random means. I kept having to explain it could bang at any time I do not know but they would not send a person round to the house to wait in all day and wait for the bang to happen. They also said that their staff finish as 5pm so it was not likely that they would ask someone to visit the house on an evening. They asked me to record the noise and my husband did this then Barratt decided that was good enough and disregarded it. They asked us to keep a diary, we did but again Barratt disregarded that also. Barratt customer service are a joke and do nothing to help you especially if the complaint you have needs investigating. Barratt built this house but they are taking no responsibility for their shoddy workmanship and the fact that the house is faulted which could be something serious but who knows, Barratt certainly don't.

Billygoat1's Comment

Written on: 26/11/2017

This most likely is the high water pressure (water hammer) flanking sounds running along your ceiling. If you are not aware this is caused by anything you and your family are doing within your property, then this is caused by your nearest neighbour, providing you share party walls with them. If you have a detached property then it's your water system, if you are in semi detached or terraced property then it's your neighbour(s) system affecting your property.
Barratt homes know this already because it is a common issue with their terrible new builds, but if you have complaint issues with them too, be prepared for them to dig in and run rings around you, as well as the NHBC who they have in their pocket, they work together to do this to customers who try and overturn bad workmanship. My advice to you is go to the property ombudsman right away before you run out of time.

Read 1 Comment

“It took ages to sort out problems, we found more a lot...”

Written on: 06/08/2017 by 401Anderson (1 review written)

We bought off plan and the design looked lovely. But the standard of workmanship let's it down badly. We have had many faults the worst on we found when we had double glazing fitted, when the back window of the dining room was due to be fitted we noticed several bricks were missing. We had to fit extra insulation to complete.

Patrickjnorwood's Comment

Written on: 07/03/2018

My wife and have had exactly the same experience, after finding many other faults which took ages to put right we had double glazing fitted and found a lot of inner bricks missing. We have always found that area was very hard to hold the heat. We could not get it bricked up because of delaying the job. We are thinking getting the house double glazed again, next time we will be taking pictures.

Asked by ilya_r on 12th May 2020 Report this content
Hello Everyone ! I have a question about how good is sound isolation from neighbours ? The house in question is Casa, they built such houses at Trumpington, Cambridge. I am really concerned to have neighbours (after 13 years living without one)... I would be interested to hear from someone living in such house with neighbours.

Asked by Hill98 on 25th February 2017 Report this content
If a house becomes available and I get it but have not sold my house, how long do you get to sell it? I see a couple of plots ready to be sold where I am but won't be ready till next year. What is the procedure thanks.

Asked by l.finnigan on 12th March 2016 Report this content
Has anyone had a bad experience of Barratt Homes in a First Time Buyers scheme capacity? I am writing an article and trying to gain info on different experiences.

Asked by Virgins on 21st September 2015 Report this content
When we painted a wall in the lounge, it began to bobble and then it all came off, including the very thin plaster. Anyone else had the same problem? Don't know what to do?

Asked by Maca1971 on 7th February 2015 Report this content
I bought a Barratt home in December 2014, and  paid over £5000 for upgrades carpet kitchen etc. My living room carpet was patched so they changed it, now the carpet is darker in the living room to the rest of the house and it is open plan. They say they will change the hall way stairs and landing but not my bedrooms. Do you think this is correct as when I bought my upgraded carpet I asked if I could have different colour in the kids rooms and they said they had to be the same colour? What should I do?

Answers (2)
Report this content essexboy71 Written on: 10/02/2015
I had no heating in 3 rooms for over a year. I had to go to the NHBC in order to get barrats to fix it. I have had to have an entire floor replaced where they forgot to put the joists in, and i have had a major leak under the bathroom floor which took them weeks to repair. Their service is shocking, their staff are rude and their quality of after sales service is disgusting. therefore, i very much doubt they will be very accomodating with regards to your carpet. I will never buy barrats again.
Report this content teletel Written on: 11/02/2015
I vowed never to buy Barratt again in 2000, but I did in 2013. The quality is poor when you look deeper into what you have got. In my view you should have all the carpets in the same colour. Keep chipping away at them, its taken me 6 months of emails, phone calls and complaints for them to finally agree to sort my problem with the garden out.
Asked by garysaltcoats on 26th March 2014 Report this content
I paid a deposit of £500.00 and have since had to pull out of the purchase. The house is still at ground level of the build, I have not picked any fixtures or fittings yet an I just wanted to know if I will get back my deposit?

Answers (1)
Report this content Hayley38 Written on: 27/03/2014
Hi The £500 isn't a deposit it's a reservation fee. If you pull out then you are entitled to a percentage back, there are set amounts depending on the stage you are at, £50 admin fee was one of them. It should be detailed in your paperwork. It was when I reserved a property, I also pulled out and it was the best move I made. I hope that helps.
Asked by Engrsara on 14th March 2014 Report this content
I want to buy house or flat in Hull as soon as possible to save our rent, my budget is only 80,000 pounds, currently living in Victoria docks on rent £550 per month. In my budget I only found barrat home flat and was very positive to buy, but after reading reviews here about barrat homes I'm confused now. Can anybody tell me where can I find good home in this budget? Or tell me the area where could I buy home . As I and my partner is new in Hull. Don't know much about it.

Answers (3)
Report this content haymatr Written on: 17/03/2014
Me and everyone I know who has purchased Barratt homes are more than disappointed withe standard they charge top money and build quality is pathetic 4 years after buying my home I had to replace door to front . Replace 3 windows. Get the floor level material replaced as it all cracked. I could go on and on . Hate to put someone off but if you like your cash avoid there houses and buy a old one u can put quality items in ..This is same for my whole estate I'm a electrician so I've worked in a lot of houses in my area ... avoid new and buy old
Report this content Hogette Written on: 17/03/2014
I would agree with the previous answer .. Buy and older property .. Bigger rooms not matchboxes . The built quality is the worst there is .. Fixtures and fittings are cheap nasty and fall apart . We paid 217.000 thousand for the property we live in 18 months ago .. After selling an enormous 4 bedroom Victorian property that I lived in for 25 years .. You could fit 4 of our current house in my previous place . No utility and 3 of the bedrooms; well no bigger than my storage room in my old house . Nowhere to store vaccum; mop bucket ..! Please please do not buy Barrats . Some of new built are far better .. Better fittings .. Had a leak in our so called lounge after the water rank leaked less than a year .. Boggy garden . No drainage .. Being on a very tight budget .. You are still better renting . Or by a flat in a Victorian converted flat .. Properly built . Which is why they are still standing after 100 years .. New builds ?? Wonderif they will after 50 years if that . Do not fall for their 5 year guarantee on fixture and fittings as they are not worth the paper it's written on . Please stay well away ..
Report this content Engrsara Written on: 18/03/2014
Thanks both of you for your kind answers , now I definately will not move to new build homes. What about queensway hull homes ?? Any idea ? Or cave steet in hu5 . I don't want to buy home on mortgage due to some religious issues (want to be interest free ) .thanks.Waiting for the kind advices :)