Barratt Homes Reviews - barratthomes.co.uk

Barratt Homes Reviews
1.6

Barratt Homes Reviews - barratthomes.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Barratt Homes Reviews - barratthomes.co.uk

“Moved in last year, now desperate to move out”

written by DrDanSykes on 14/04/2024

Buying a house from Barratt's was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made. There has been nothing but failures. - Our garden had been under water all winter, the ground has rotted and there are flies everywhere. - The land surrounding our house is a desert of water logged clay, despite repeated complaints. - Barratt's have accused us of lying about an updated conveyancing plan, which they had signed and sent to land registry. They are trying to bully and embarress us (we are young) to hide their mistake. - They have cut down a protected hedgerow in March, killing hatching birds.

“Pathetic builder ”

written by Makenna430 on 09/02/2024

I won’t recommend Barratt homes(DWH) to anyone ever.Teju are pathetic and construction quality is absolutely horrible. The staff and their contractors are horrible and ignore the issues raised.I am staying in the property since last 1 year and still getting issues,some issues are not resolved since last summer.Their contractors (joiners,plumbers etc )are so unskilled and unprofessional. You have to keep on following up with them for months and months for a very small issues. Don not get tempted by comparing their house costs with the other marketed properties because then you will have to face lots of issues.Even their complaints department does not help you to resolve the issues. So overall they are horrible and pathetic builders.

“Barratt Homes Shocking Service and Poor Quality Home”

written by WJW07 on 15/01/2024

From day one of picking up my keys to my new home its been a nightmare. Over 300+ snagging issues House signed off my a sales manager with no skills to do so advising 'Good' Poor quality finish Poor service Barratts staff lying and making personal comments about me to suppliers and each other Forced to sign a settlement agreement and silenced to obtain a refund for the carpets i paid for due to Barratts laying the wrong ones - it took over a year to get my money back - Barratts made it difficult for me Bullied and threatened by CEO to accept an offer of compensation for the impact my experience with Barratts has had on me, knowing full well i have ADHD and how the last 2 years has made me ill. I was told if i don't accept it, the offer will be withdrawn. I've raised complaints over the last few weeks and I'm being ignored despite receiving automated emails advising they will contact me within 48 hours I can go on and on with the experience, this is just some of what I have experienced. The dispute is ongoing Anyone who is experiencing similar issues - do not give up - you deserve better We worked hard to pay for our homes, we should receive what Barratt Homes advertise - High Quality, Award Winning, 5* Homes whereby they put the customer first - I haven't experienced this.

“Newbuild nightmare”

written by Barratt.home.unhappy.customer on 29/12/2023

Purchased in 2018, now nearly 2024 our house is still not a home. Barratt sold us a house with no safe fire escape route, 5 fire doors no fire safety cills and all doors n frames not fitted correctly. We've suffered around 500 issues, some major that they continued to lie about even after seeing for themselves. Broken blocks and beams under the house, rain water entering the house onto of the dpc washing away our concrete floor, bare live electricity cables to name just a few. Endless ongoing building site that has damaged our health and our lives.

“Absolutely thrilled…”

written by Marleneu276 on 02/11/2023

Absolutely thrilled with my purchase from Barratts. Before moving into the property they allowed us to measure up which was very useful. Not only that, Rio kept us informed with everything. I received a welcome pack upon completion which was a very nice touch. Everything went very smoothly when completing and the property was in very good condition. I noticed some snags and Assistant Site Manager corrected my issues straight away. I was very impressed with the customer service. A week later I noticed a leak from the bathroom to the kitchen, the Site Manager was very efficient and sorted this issue out straight away. Overall, I am over the moon with my purchase and would recommend Barratts to anyone! Thank you for making my first home purchase an enjoyable experience.

“Do not buy a Barratt home!!!”

written by tinadmochowski on 04/10/2023

We purchased our home nearly 2 years ago and we are still living an utter nightmare!! Bodge builders at their best! Management are no better, we have lived with major leaks and damp in our en-suite for nearly 2 weeks and they keep sending unqualified builder after incompetent tradesman to sort the problems. Management don't want to know, they cant be bothered and we have been left with nothing but like we are living in a squat. I cant believe that after parting with hard earned cash and paying a ridiculous amount of money to move we are faced with problem after problem that now Barratts want nothing to do with!! I would not have another house from these people if it was given for free! Do not waste your money!!

“Safety Concerns in Barratt's New Build”

written by Clement78 on 19/07/2023

I recently purchased a new home from Barratt, the so-called "largest developer in the UK" known for their high-quality builds. I must express my disappointment. The door frame in the picture provided is visibly cracked. Worse, the chain lock, ostensibly a safety feature, is disappointingly affixed to a piece of cardboard-like material. It seems to serve more as decoration than a genuine security measure. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Barratt's apartments to anyone looking for reliable safety features in their home. Their reputation for quality, in my case, does not match the reality.

“Builders of poor quality Minimum Specification houses”

written by SebastianBoyd on 21/05/2023

We moved into our new house in October, since them we have had a constant battle with site office, customer care, even engaging the regional director hs failed to get this rectified to our satisfaction. Faulty electrics, poor quality finish needing complete re plaster and paint, extractors fans not extracting outside and if they do polar winds coming through them, driveway re laid twice and its still faulty, and heating system that only justs gets up to minimum temperature as long as its above 5 degrees outside. 8 months in we still have issues, we get the It is the government standard, or the NHBC minimum specification thrown at us. As for the site the site managers have no influence on the contractors, and the contractors park wherever they like, outside your house, across your drive and trample all over your garden. When challenged they are abusive, one even squared up to me threatening physical violence, and the abuse is still ongoing. Buying on High Elms Park was a big mistake, the boards stating what a quality, multi award winning, builder must be on a completely different site as this one.

“Avoid at all cost”

written by TaraJ4d3 on 12/12/2022

I have recently purchased a Barratt home and have to say the quality you see in the show home is definitely not what you are buying. My plaster work is blotchy and falling off the walls my four year old could do a better job. My front door does not sit flush and is bowed very badly that if you bang it it comes open. Windows have no safety catches and their response was to just keep the windows locked. They take over a week to respond and this was the same for the recent leak I had in the front bedroom. The condensation is horrendous causing mould- their response paint over it. I have a huge hole in my bathroom behind the sink they said they can’t do anything about. The consistent service is the worst I have ever come across. Everything with the development is a shambles. Even the room designs I have a fake vent in my skirt under the cupboards that houses bits of wood they didn’t get rid of. The have also fitted the skirting so that it can’t be removed to get to the actual washing machine filter. The cupboards are not deep enough to house standard dinner plates and the shower leaks. I could go on and on but I have a snag list of over 200 items. PLEASE DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOUR MONEY FOR A HLUSE NOT FOT FOR PURPOSE

“Poor service”

written by Scott83 on 17/09/2022

Bought a new home from them. They used all cheap materials. Within one year things started falling apart.do not buy from them ! No value for money!

“DO NOT BUY FROM BARRATT HOMES ”

written by EthenConnell on 01/04/2022

We have had non stop issues since buying with Barratt homes - terrible service! The day we moved in there were poo marks in all our toilets and urine stains on toilet seats, absolutely disgusting! Holes in the carpet, grout over all the tiles, mould in the rooms, endless snags. The fact they think it's appropriate to sign off a house in that state speaks volumes, all they care about is taking your money! Everything in the house is done to a very very poor standard, you can see they have cut lots of corners and used the cheapest materials! They claim their houses are energy efficient but the house is FREEZING due to an open tube going from extractor fan in the kitchen to outside letting all the cold air in, apparently this is standard! I have bought new build houses before with other builders and the difference in standard is unbelievable. The worst part of our service is the lies we were told during the sales process. Our house is on a brand new road still being built after we moved in. We were assured by the sales team numerous times when buying the house that the road would be 20mph with a restriction meaning lorries cannot use the road. We explained how important this was to us as we will not buy a house on a main road. Now the road has finally opened and turns out this was all lies! The road is not 20mph and is actually a main access road to a new industrial estate so lorries are driving past my front door all day long. This has been totally miss sold and I cannot believe the deceit from barratt, its actually disgusting the way they treat customers. Terrible terrible service, this was supposed to be our forever home and now I'm desperate to move. Do not buy with Barratt homes, avoid at all costs!

“Use them and regret”

written by Sharmaa786 on 04/01/2022

Barratt Development is worse builders on market. Do not purchase any property built by Barratt! They are under investigation by CMA (Governement) for misleading consumers and writing leases that ONLY benefit them. Ground rent doubles every few years! Do not fall for fake reviews you read on here. I have a Flat built by Barratt that I cannot sell or remortgage due to terms of lease. ONLY Developer now that has refused to remove ground rent. Stay away or you will regret. They hand over all properties to FirstPort managing agents. One google will give you answer to all the malicious praticies by this company.

“Poor building ”

written by 232Garcia on 25/12/2021

We bought 2 bed apartment at New Mill Quarter at Pointelle House a year ago!!! Iwould like to inform anyone buying property from Barrat Home 5 star builder. Be prepared to experience horrible and disgusting sound transmission from your neighbours. Example, people walking and conversing, chairs moving, flushing the toilet, urinating, blowing nose, baby crying, banging doors, working lift. This is our every day life. After formal complaint Barrat keep ignoring problems, saying soundproofing has been designed and installed. They are not even bothered to come and check. I’m myself am a builder , 20 years experience and very familiar with regulations and I have found drainage pipes with no acoustic lagging, Party wall on dot and dab with no insulation and skirting cover unfinished that party wall, all exterior walls on dot and dab, with no insulation however in handover documents Barratt’s states exterior walls are constructed metal studs, insulation plasterboard and masonry , bs not true Enormous condensation on the windows, a draft from one of them. I’m Fed up with the quality, Barrat doesn’t want to admit their mistakes. This is unacceptable!!! My solicitors will take over

“It's NOT freehold ”

written by Nash58 on 08/12/2021

You will own the build but not the land. They charge a yearly land maintenance fee that in my area is up to £550/year but we were told by the sale agent they could increase it anytime. If you don't pay then the house will be repossessed. You're not allowed to make extra changed to the exterior of the build without obtaining relevant permission by them even though you own the build. They build lots of social housing on each site.

“Underwhelmed!”

written by thunderblob10 on 02/12/2021

Barratt homes are great when you're purchasing a home, but as a neighbour, after the purchase, they are a total nuisance. If you purchase early on a development expect a few years of misery, forget summers, and outside living! The level of nuisance through dust is excessive and by law, they must control it, by storing fine materials undercover and damping fine materials and roadways but they choose not to. Contractors arrive really early and park anywhere, double-parked in some cases. We have had their compound alarm go off just after contractors left, it continued all night even though most of the estate contacted the hotline, it was turned off when contractors turned up the next morning. Working outside of hours also seems normal. I would not recommend Barratt homes.

“Unfit for habitation”

written by on 17/08/2021

When we bought a new home from Barratts to let on June 30th 2021 there was no flooring on the ground floor although we had paid extra for it. There was nothing the oven such as grill pan the fence was broken the plants in front of the house were dead There was mould in the kitchen cupboards and skirting (this is an on going problem ) our tenants are continually wiping off mould. The house was not cleaned, even excrement in the toilet. Barratts compensated us half a months rent. Unfortunately 48 days later the oven still has no grill pan the plants have not been replaced and obviously we are having to placate our tenants Do not to agree to a completion date on a house to let from Barratts before it is finished You have to chase, chase and chase again to get anything done

“What after care?”

written by UnhappyMatt on 28/08/2020

After care team for S.Wales are an absolute waste of space. No customer service at all,and completely uninterested in helping resolve issues. Beware.

“Avoid at all costs ”

written by nxLockhart1946 on 18/02/2020

When you first move before you have given them HBF review barratt will do anything for you. But the reality is their houses are poor quality homes built by sub contractors who don't care. In the 3 years in have had my house excluding many small snagging issues we have dealt with the following.... new tiles on roof, lots of repointing, new one suite door frame, new main bathroom floor 3 times, massive leak through kitchen ceiling, garden relayed, new drainage in garden, entire kitchen floor ripped up to repair concrete underneath, all work surfaces replaced and currently the canopy it seems isn't sealed properly and over time has filled with water so now leaks into the house.

“AVOID! Barratts do NOT care about their customers!”

written by Piperuy17 on 07/06/2018

If I could give 0 stars I would! Customer advisors don't tell you accurately what’s included and when you complain they all cover for each other! The director of our local branches words were how could their sales advisors possibly know what the customer thought was included ....... this is their job? What they get paid to do? This is just one of the poor excuses you’ll hear from barratts. When we first complained they tried to force us out of our contract but wouldn’t refund any of the money we’d already forked out on legal fees or storage etc. Non of their customer care team actually cared. Good luck attempting to get anywhere with these fools they make it clear they have absolutely no time for you ... unless you copy in the CEO to your complaint then they act like they do for a brief moment which is then followed by the same old rubbish excuses. We haven’t even moved in yet and the whole experience has been nothing but stressful! After reading numerous forums, Facebook groups & reviews I have no doubt that we will have a mountain of issues once we move into our poorly built house. If your thinking of buying Barratt DONT! Avoid at all costs!

Ottoshanks's Comment

Written on: 19/11/2019

Echo our thoughts entirely. Once they have clinched the sale they lose interest in you like certain car sales people. It is also a bit like buying certain brands of car. You get 4 wheels an engine and a body everything else is optional. Barretts houses are the same, a shell, a roof and X number of rooms etc. the rest being optional adding up several thousands of pounds in extras to get something reasonable. Beware of their recommended 'other' agencies. The recommended solicitors are very expensive and mirror Barrett customer care. The annual site maintenance is suspicious. Leasehold has been replaced by annual site fees managed by, so we are told ex Barrett employees. No doubt once the site is finished it will be hived off to another management company who will go whoopee and hike the annual!

“Chapel Gate Basingstoke”

written by MarthaMcQueen322 on 25/04/2018

Sales staff were helpful, there is a stupid 10 day completion rule which in my mind is madness. I was moving from rented accommodation only to be told my House wouldn't be ready on the estimated date which would have left me homeless. Thankfully Barratts pulled a rabbit from the hat and we moved in with two days to spare very stressful. Once in very few snags customer support manager has been very helpful, even put a skip outside for us to dump all our packing Barratts get a slating on most reviews but I have to give them the thumbs up so far !

Geosort's Comment

Written on: 01/05/2018

This is a very positive discourse with emotive language 'homeless', 'stressful', 'helpful', 'rabbit out the hat', 'thumbs up so far'. This is more like a sales commentary rather than a review. It would be helpful with a 4* review to have more supporting evidence. As this goes against the 'slating' 1* reviews particularly regarding customer service.

Newhomebasingstoke's Comment

Written on: 01/05/2018

Hi

Main reason I made the time to write this review was because of the negative press. Moving is stressful things do go wrong. However after reading disaster stories I was pleasantly surprised

I am now on week 4 defects have been logged and reported, I received a phone call from Barratts yesterday they have dispatched a plumber and a Glaser today to asses and address the reported issues.

Again cant fault them they have been so far very helpful before completion and the aftercare so far has also been good

Geosort's Comment

Written on: 02/05/2018

Thanks for the comprehensive reply to my comment. While short on detail I am sure you are 'over the moon' with the service you have received particularly how they access the issues. I presume there is a problem with the window seals?

Newhomebasingstoke's Comment

Written on: 02/05/2018

No the window seals are fine, there are some scratches on the skylight window

There was a blockage on the shower drainage which was backing up to the downstairs sink, blockage was removed yesterday appears to be fine today
The skylight they are coming back to resolve

all good so far

Asked by ilya_r on 12th May 2020 Report this content
Hello Everyone ! I have a question about how good is sound isolation from neighbours ? The house in question is Casa, they built such houses at Trumpington, Cambridge. I am really concerned to have neighbours (after 13 years living without one)... I would be interested to hear from someone living in such house with neighbours.

Asked by Hill98 on 25th February 2017 Report this content
If a house becomes available and I get it but have not sold my house, how long do you get to sell it? I see a couple of plots ready to be sold where I am but won't be ready till next year. What is the procedure thanks.

Asked by l.finnigan on 12th March 2016 Report this content
Has anyone had a bad experience of Barratt Homes in a First Time Buyers scheme capacity? I am writing an article and trying to gain info on different experiences.

Asked by Virgins on 21st September 2015 Report this content
When we painted a wall in the lounge, it began to bobble and then it all came off, including the very thin plaster. Anyone else had the same problem? Don't know what to do?

Asked by Maca1971 on 7th February 2015 Report this content
I bought a Barratt home in December 2014, and  paid over £5000 for upgrades carpet kitchen etc. My living room carpet was patched so they changed it, now the carpet is darker in the living room to the rest of the house and it is open plan. They say they will change the hall way stairs and landing but not my bedrooms. Do you think this is correct as when I bought my upgraded carpet I asked if I could have different colour in the kids rooms and they said they had to be the same colour? What should I do?

Answers (2)
Report this content essexboy71 Written on: 10/02/2015
I had no heating in 3 rooms for over a year. I had to go to the NHBC in order to get barrats to fix it. I have had to have an entire floor replaced where they forgot to put the joists in, and i have had a major leak under the bathroom floor which took them weeks to repair. Their service is shocking, their staff are rude and their quality of after sales service is disgusting. therefore, i very much doubt they will be very accomodating with regards to your carpet. I will never buy barrats again.
Report this content teletel Written on: 11/02/2015
I vowed never to buy Barratt again in 2000, but I did in 2013. The quality is poor when you look deeper into what you have got. In my view you should have all the carpets in the same colour. Keep chipping away at them, its taken me 6 months of emails, phone calls and complaints for them to finally agree to sort my problem with the garden out.
Asked by garysaltcoats on 26th March 2014 Report this content
I paid a deposit of £500.00 and have since had to pull out of the purchase. The house is still at ground level of the build, I have not picked any fixtures or fittings yet an I just wanted to know if I will get back my deposit?

Answers (1)
Report this content Hayley38 Written on: 27/03/2014
Hi The £500 isn't a deposit it's a reservation fee. If you pull out then you are entitled to a percentage back, there are set amounts depending on the stage you are at, £50 admin fee was one of them. It should be detailed in your paperwork. It was when I reserved a property, I also pulled out and it was the best move I made. I hope that helps.
Asked by Engrsara on 14th March 2014 Report this content
I want to buy house or flat in Hull as soon as possible to save our rent, my budget is only 80,000 pounds, currently living in Victoria docks on rent £550 per month. In my budget I only found barrat home flat and was very positive to buy, but after reading reviews here about barrat homes I'm confused now. Can anybody tell me where can I find good home in this budget? Or tell me the area where could I buy home . As I and my partner is new in Hull. Don't know much about it.

Answers (3)
Report this content haymatr Written on: 17/03/2014
Me and everyone I know who has purchased Barratt homes are more than disappointed withe standard they charge top money and build quality is pathetic 4 years after buying my home I had to replace door to front . Replace 3 windows. Get the floor level material replaced as it all cracked. I could go on and on . Hate to put someone off but if you like your cash avoid there houses and buy a old one u can put quality items in ..This is same for my whole estate I'm a electrician so I've worked in a lot of houses in my area ... avoid new and buy old
Report this content Hogette Written on: 17/03/2014
I would agree with the previous answer .. Buy and older property .. Bigger rooms not matchboxes . The built quality is the worst there is .. Fixtures and fittings are cheap nasty and fall apart . We paid 217.000 thousand for the property we live in 18 months ago .. After selling an enormous 4 bedroom Victorian property that I lived in for 25 years .. You could fit 4 of our current house in my previous place . No utility and 3 of the bedrooms; well no bigger than my storage room in my old house . Nowhere to store vaccum; mop bucket ..! Please please do not buy Barrats . Some of new built are far better .. Better fittings .. Had a leak in our so called lounge after the water rank leaked less than a year .. Boggy garden . No drainage .. Being on a very tight budget .. You are still better renting . Or by a flat in a Victorian converted flat .. Properly built . Which is why they are still standing after 100 years .. New builds ?? Wonderif they will after 50 years if that . Do not fall for their 5 year guarantee on fixture and fittings as they are not worth the paper it's written on . Please stay well away ..
Report this content Engrsara Written on: 18/03/2014
Thanks both of you for your kind answers , now I definately will not move to new build homes. What about queensway hull homes ?? Any idea ? Or cave steet in hu5 . I don't want to buy home on mortgage due to some religious issues (want to be interest free ) .thanks.Waiting for the kind advices :)