La Vie En Rose Reviews

La Vie En Rose - Ask a question now

“A fabulous piece of history”

written by EthanByron on 21/11/2020

A fabulous piece of history beautifully reenacted. The lead actress was believable and transformed herself into the character effortlessly! The story is both happy and tragic at the same time.

“Passion and drama”

written by Susiejones80 on 18/10/2013

One of my all time favorite French Films. If you are looking for drama, passion and a real life story, get this film! Marion Cotillard was the perfect selection for the main role. She was completely vulnerable enough to show the necessary passion and drama portrayed in the life of Edith Piaf - the French singer who grew up with strife and a disarrayed childhood, to her crazy adulthood and beyond. She was named little sparrow because of her beautiful voice (and the film was released in France as La Mome). There's some humor in this movie too... which to some of my friends was silly... but I felt it added an edge to who the woman really was. If there is any doubt about watching this, just take a look at all the awards won: Cesars, Oscars and an Academy Award. Very arty, very moody. This is a movie for the art-movie lovers out there. It will leave you in tears and breathless in the end!

“La Vie en Rose (also known as 'La m me') is a French...”

written by theangryhellcat on 03/09/2009

La Vie en Rose (also known as 'La m me') is a French film made in 2007, telling the story of the life and career of Edith Piaff, a French singer who started life in poverty but became very successful in the 40s and 50s. It is an unflinching portrayal of her turbulent rise to fame, which includes violence, morphine addiction and tragic loss.

Not being a huge fan of the music of Piaff (which is incidentally a stage name, la M me Piaff meaning 'Little Sparrow' or 'Kid Sparrow), I wasn't in a huge rush to see this film. However, I found myself completely absorbed by the story. The narrative jumps about in time, which effectively builds intrigue and it is all very well acted. The music in the film is used to brilliant effect and really increased the emotional impact of the songs, even to someone like myself, who does not like her music.

I'd definitely recommend this film, although it is quite emotionally draining, so if you want to switch off and relax I'd suggest watching something else!