Ford Capri 2.8 injection special Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Ford Capri 2.8 injection special - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Ford Capri 2.8 injection special

“The 2.8 I capri will always keep you smiling. Love it.”

written by WayneElliottEvieMouse on 10/08/2022

I have owned my Ford Capri 2.8 injection for 36 years. It’s a 1984 on an A plate. When I first got the car I drove it everywhere with the windows down just so I could hear the beautiful sound of the V6. They say they are tail happy but treat them with respect and they won’t bite you. It’s been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned, service them love them and they will love you back. I only use mine in the nice weather and it’s been my second car since 1992. On nice dry days I still get the same pleasure now as I did in 1986 when I first got the Capri. I just simply love it. If you are thinking of getting one do it but get the best one you can afford, you won’t regret it, you will need to go to hospital to have your smile surgically removed. Regards

“I have owned my Capri 2.8 injection since 1987 it is...”

written by on 13/04/2011

I have owned my Capri 2.8 injection since 1987 it is my first car I have always had a fascination with the Ford V6 really fabulous sounding engines. One of the best looking and sounding cars ever made in my humble opinion.I don't drive it much but when I do I really enjoy it and I will never sell it.I am fitting ahugely expensive Pioneer PRS sound system in it at the moment.Still a fast car even by todays standards and it shares a garage with my BMW M3.Not bad at all on petrol on steady cruise and much better since I changed the gearbox for a 5 speed as mine was a 4 speed.If you have one cherish it I do!

“i have owned my capri2.8 injection for 19 years now...”

written by on 01/09/2010

i have owned my capri2.8 injection for 19 years now only used during summer last 9 years dry stored and starts every time i go to it in garage last three years i have not drove on road,not had time but get a big smile on my face when she starts and rumbles into life i get many coments when people pass by saying i had one of them and loved it. if you can get your hands on one for a second car go for it spares can still be gain thru many places, go on treat yar self to some classic fun.

“i loved the car when i had it lovely car but some ass...”

written by on 19/07/2010

i loved the car when i had it lovely car but some ass hole stole it :(

“I'm a yank and I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in...”

written by on 27/03/2010

I'm a yank and I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in the late eighties and had a 1986 Capri Injection Special. Fantastic car. I had a Pontiac Trans Am before I went to England and have had a 1972 Datsun 240Z, 1982 Porsche 911SC, and currently drive a Pontiac G8 GT(360 hp) and I have nothing but fond memories of that Capri with the Bosch injection, 5-speed manual, dual exhaust, and Recaro leather seats a very good setup. I remember English guys shaking their heads and slapping me on the back at what a good car that was. I know it even more now. Get it on the motorway and get it up near a ton and drop the hammer. Nice!

“Best cheap reliable thrills you can get, the Ford...”

written by on 10/03/2009

Best cheap reliable thrills you can get, the Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is by modern standards a quick and reliable car. Go for a 2.8i special if you can as they have a five speed and an LSD along with phat alloys (13' a bit small?) half leather recaros and bilstein struts. If you can afford it buy a turbo technics one with 205 bhp and porsche kicking performance for around the £7000 mark depending on condition. HAPPY HUNTING!

“The Ford Capri is an awesome car, rear wheel drive,...”

written by on 05/09/2008

The Ford Capri is an awesome car, rear wheel drive, good standard speeds on the 2.8i. The biggest thing about the car is the image.. Retro styling is in and its the ultimate looking sports car. Beautiful.

“My Ford Capri has been off the road for ten years, the...”

written by kamerondiaz on 21/03/2008

My Ford Capri has been off the road for ten years, the only problem I have had other than a little rust is, the breaks ceased, which would be expected after such a long time being static, also the fuel pump ceased also, due to being stationary, other than the previous .....the Ford Capri is definitely rated VERY highly in my books. If you are to buy one ............LOOK AFTER THE THING!

“The Ford Capri is an absolutely amazing car. To be a...”

written by on 05/12/2007

The Ford Capri is an absolutely amazing car. To be a true petrol head, you need to have owned one of these. The looks and performance make it amazing!

“The Ford Capri is a little fuel eater and not for the...”

written by capriford on 06/01/2007

The Ford Capri is a little fuel eater and not for the faint hearted and it gets the adrenaline pumping even in 2007. Mine is a Granada 2.9i Cologne re bored out to 3.6 with a Kent cam - it's a little rocket that's only to be used in the dry or take your chances in the wet. I also just bought a Focus 2.5 Turbo st... to me the Capri still gets me more excited as it's much more of a drivers car with lots of torque and still passes most modern cars with ease. I would recommend one to all those that like driving.

“The Capri 2.8i that I owned was not a special but an...”

written by ASTRABOY on 27/02/2006

The Capri 2.8i that I owned was not a special but an early 4 speed model that had the pepper pop alloy's and cloth interior.
I'd always wanted a mk 3 Capri from when I was a kid and the 2.8i models is really the only ones to have. The engine is great and it was cheap to buy too. Costing only £1000 for a 130mph car but sadly the handling let me down and only a few months after buying the car I wrote it off in the wet.
Still at least I owned one

Helen Of Troy's Response to ASTRABOY's Review

Written on: 28/07/2006

I had a total of 4 different Capri's including the 2.8i. They are very unique cars to drive as the front end is so much heavier than the rear, it causes them to "hop" around corners and you can easily lose control. A heavy object in the boot used to help, such as a large bag of bricks! The Police started to use these cars but found this problem of hopping around corners and easy loss of control no good for high speed chases, though high speed was definitely no problem for this car. They were also an art form to park, especially for us women drivers who either struggled to look over the top of the huge bonnet, or sat on a cushion! It was most definitely the car of its' day, looks and performance wise. But the majority of people these days are used to modern cars which are far better road handling and if challenged to drive a Capri 2.8i at speed on normal roads, especially when wet, would probably end up either crashing it or vowing never to try driving one again!

“With purchase prices from £500, the Ford Capri has...”

written by djcarbines on 10/11/2005

With purchase prices from £500, the Ford Capri has never been more affordable. This is a car for someone who wants a performance car without following the crowd of the hot hatch band. I own 3 Capri's, and the 2.8 is the most reliable and usable. My 1983 model started first time after 2 and a half YEARS standing with a battery charge. Despite their age they can still keep up with SLK's and new 3-Series' (not the AMG's and M's, obviously), and without any driver aids or electronics to go wrong or interfere, it gives a very rewarding driving experience.

It feels very solid on the road even above 120mph, though small bands of scuttle-shake are fairly common. Although they do give more feedback and are more pleasurable to drive than modern 911's. Upwards of 20mpg are obtainable on motorway cruises. The power is delivered evenly throughout the rev range, unlike the 3.0S which tails off after 4000rpm. Later models (1985-7) with LSD can take sweeping bends at over 100mph in the wet (despite reputation), as long as you are gentle on the throttle. This reputation is well founded for pre 1980 models! However, this is part of the appeal of this very usable commutable car. Annual servicing is around £120 (all parts and labour), though if any major parts like gearboxes need replacing it can be expensive (body parts - in particular front wings).

The folding rear seats provide ample room in the back for haulage, and don't worry about high mileage, as a well maintained example is good for well over 250,000 miles. Mine still has the performance described above, and is about to cover her 150,000th mile on the original engine.

A very easy car to live with, and can be insured as a classic now. Expect to pay around £2000-£3000 for an original in good condition with FSH. £1000-£2000 will buy an average runner with some history.

Keithrose44's Response to djcarbines's Review

Written on: 29/10/2006

Well done. A great review!
<br/>My Father owned a couple of Ford Capri's, starting with a Mk1 2.0 GT in the early 70's and later a new 1983 2.8i in black. He had the 2.8 injection for 13 years, and it never let him down once, with only routine servicing needed. The body started to rust on the front wings after about ten years, but we fitted a new pair without any problems.
<br/>The V6 had plenty of go, and made such a great throaty roar under full power, it was so addictive! The handling was nowhere near as bad as people made out, as long as you showed it some real respect in the wet.
<br>
<br/>All in all, a truly fast practical car, which could top 100 mph in less than 20 seconds. He now drives a 1.7 Puma, but he still talks about the Capri.

“The Ford Capri is a fun drivers car, which gets loads...”

written by suggs on 06/11/2005

The Ford Capri is a fun drivers car, which gets loads of attention where ever it goes. I would recommend anyone to have a standard one, as a second car though.

There are also plenty of aftermarket upgrades available to improve the cars weak points. If you do wish to use one as a daily driver, I would recommend you look at some of the 'Carpi Sport' upgrades.

As for the rust, it's the same as all old cars; You will have to keep it well polished. If you don't look after them they will rot from the bottom up.

“The Ford Capri was the star of the t.v hit series 'The...”

written by ireyn on 21/03/2005

The Ford Capri was the star of the t.v hit series 'The Professionals' and 'Minder'. It was the sports car to have in the 70's and it's updated post 84 model was, and still is an incredible car. Taming the Jekyl and Hyde character is immense fun, but not advised in wet weather. It sounds superb and looks gorgeous, i've had two and I'm looking for a third.

Fatum51's Response to 186072_ireyn's Review

Written on: 10/10/2005

Sorry to be picky, the Essex was the 3.0 which was housed in the mark 1 and 2, the 2.8 was known by the region the factory sits in, Cologne.

Djcarbines's Response to 186072_ireyn's Review

Written on: 23/07/2006

The 3.0 Essex engine was available in both mk2 and mk3, to be replaced in 1981 with the 2.8i Cologne engine in the mk3 only. So the top-of-the-line mk3 Capri had 2 different engines throughout it&#039;s production run, along with a large number of combinations in L, S, LS and Laser forms.

“Once you get over the fact this Ford Capri 2.8...”

written by fatum51 on 30/09/2004

Once you get over the fact this Ford Capri 2.8 injection special sports car is very long ( 16 feet ) and learn how to stear that nose round corners this car is without equal. Having driven most 80's and 90's sports coupes, i have to say the Capri 2.8, pound for pound has no rival. The rewards from driving a 160 BHP rear wheel drive sports car have to be lived to be appreciated, whilst the tail is every bit as tricky as legend would have you beleive, it is also quite grippy if you enter the corner right. Don't expect a thump in the back though, like some other sports cars, the power is layed down in a much smoother manner, it doesn't all arrive in one big dollop, it oozes with the swell of torque from the V6, get it up around 3,000 rpm and the car changes totaly, an urgency that's simply not present at more pedestrian speeds appears from no-where and propells you along in a manner that will leave the arogant german saloon that was previously snapping at your heals in the fast lane, wondering which way you went.

“This Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is my third...”

written by chrisk2182 on 05/08/2004

This Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is my third capri now, and out of the 2.0L laser & 3.0S which i owned, this is by far the best. Being a lover of american muscle cars I have found it easy to modify my capri to give a very similar look. Capris are amazing to drive, like nothing else. Blowing away boyracers in there so called machines. Highly recommend getting one.

“The Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is my 1st Capri...”

written by Joey280 on 29/12/2003

The Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is my 1st Capri and I love it. (Wanted one since I was a kid!) It is my daily driver. The grin factor that comes with driving one of these is amazing. It has a strong flexible v6 engine which is suprisingly economical for its size & age especially at motorway speeds. I love everything about this car from the powerbuldge on the bonnet, the sound of those twin exhausts to the half leather bucket seats.

Theyre easy to bring up to date in terms of gadgets. Mine has electric windows and remote central locking etc.

The single biggest aspect of driving these is that everybody seems to be fond of 'the good old Capri'. It takes me twice as long to buy petrol now cos 9 times out of 10 someone will come up to me and get talking about the Capri. Get one!

“Powerful but fuel is expensive”

written by Gimp on 20/08/2003

Powerful but fuel is expensive

“I had a 1983 2.8i a couple of years ago and ran it as...”

written by Lee Cook. on 19/07/2003

I had a 1983 2.8i a couple of years ago and ran it as my everyday car. Black with 13 inch rs seven spokes and a half leather out of a special. Couple of jobs needed (all the usual)including door pillars that were made of p40 filler and black hammarite. A thrill every time I turned the key. A pleasure leaving the boy racer in his £ 10000 hot hatch gasping for air through my tyre smoke. Currently looking to be back in the fold. May treat myself to a Brooklands and sod the holiday to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!

Vince600's Response to Lee Cook.'s Review

Written on: 12/08/2004

I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT "GIRLFRIENDS HATE DRIVING THEM" WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD POINT.

“The Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is a decent state...”

written by capriandpenman. on 06/06/2003

The Ford Capri 2.8 injection special is a decent state of the art family/sports coupe that exceeded fords expectations on sales, and was an overwehelming success.