Toshiba 32ZP18 Reviews

Toshiba 32ZP18 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Toshiba 32ZP18

“Happy”

written by billglover2 on 15/04/2014

Purchase 36in about 2002. it's working fine, picture fine,sound fine. my ears not so good GOOD BUY

“My parents purchased one of these sets in nov 2001 and...”

written by on 12/09/2012

My parents purchased one of these sets in nov 2001 and kept it as there main tv until nov 2008 when they replaced it with one of these LCD tvs which only lasted 2 years and had to be replaced whilst Iam still using this toshiba in my bedroom with absolutely no fault and never given any problems what so ever in the almost 11 years since was purchased. Would always recommend toshiba to anybody. I also still have a toshiba model 213R4B which was a very early blackstripe FST models dec 1986 this was purchased and again was used as a main tv for many years and was used by my grandma till she passed away and I had it back for old time sake and is still fully working with no fault and only having required attention once not bad for a 26 year old tv although it is used very little now.

“Thanks to Delzrx's (21 Jan 06) post - I suffered the...”

written by ianhobsonuk on 23/09/2007

Thanks to Delzrx's (21 Jan 06) post - I suffered the dreaded 'stuck in standby' fault. I called out a TV engineer who instantly fixed it by removing the PCB which controls the Teletext (I never use this anyway). I did the same and, so far, it seems to have worked.

“Brought this 4 yrs 1 month ago. DVD and Video that...”

written by mike jackson on 26/07/2007

Brought this 4 yrs 1 month ago. DVD and Video that came with package both died quite quickly. TV has been reliable. Although currently it has developed a fuzzy picture, sound OK and can only get picture back by banging side of TV!!

Now a bulky TV compared to current TV's. Question I have to answer is whether I try and get it repaired or just replace with a new one. £1200 for 4 years TV does seem a lot though.

“The DVD picture on my Toshiba 32ZP18, through...”

written by freq77 on 27/09/2006

The DVD picture on my Toshiba 32ZP18, through component cabling, is nothing short of stunning! I've never found a use for the 100hz scan mode, the natural scan is crystal clear. I picked this up for £320 with a replaced teletext board, so feel pretty chuffed with this bargain.

The sound quality as standard doesn't really apply. I've changed the surround speakers to larger full range speakers for general viewing and have a Sony STR DA3000ES for DVD viewing, but as standard, the sound isn't too boxy and dialogue in the centre is clear enough.

“The Toshiba 32ZP18 is a great widescreen TV, but it is...”

written by Big Nutz on 24/07/2006

The Toshiba 32ZP18 is a great widescreen TV, but it is let down by the faulty teletext card, which appears to cause the power on issue. I have given it a low features score as the TV does not have teletext anymore.

I have had this TV for over 5 years now, and it only started developing the 'standby' issue a couple of months ago.

I never bothered to get it fixed, as I thought now was a good time to buy a plasma screen. Anyway, I searched Google for faulty Toshiba's and I found the Review Centre website. I removed the card myself, and bingo!! The TV is as good as new. Cheers Delzrx.

“We've had the Toshiba 32ZP18 widescreen TV for over 3...”

written by marbeck on 31/05/2006

We've had the Toshiba 32ZP18 widescreen TV for over 3 years. About 8 months ago it started this 'stuck in standby' problem. Nothing happens when you turn it on, and all you get is the red light on the front. But, if you sit there and turn it on and off for 20 minutes, it MAY decide to come back on! Many times we've had to leave it on all day because we just know if we turn it off it won't come back on again!

Very frustrating!!

“We have owned a Toshiba 36ZP18Q widescreen TV for just...”

written by jimsten1980 on 12/03/2006

We have owned a Toshiba 36ZP18Q widescreen TV for just over 3 years now, and it's developed this switching to stand-by problem. This is a common problem according to the people I have been in contact with, and from the reviews on this site. It is not through general wear and tear on the product, it is actually a fault of the manufacturer, so why are Toshiba not helping us all out more?

I'm considering going to Watchdog with this, especially with the backing of so many people. And also, I know removing the teletext card seems to make the TV work again, but that's just not good enough! How extremely frustrating this all is, after having spent so much money on a TV that was meant to last for ages and actually fails after 3 years, conveniently after the warranty runs out. The TV my parents had before this one lasted about 25 years without problems!

So much for modern technology and for Toshiba!

Macaroonie's Response to jimsten1980's Review

Written on: 14/07/2006

Totally agree! Bought the TV almost 3 years ago and we have the same problem in that it doesn't turn on fully the first time (no pic just the red light indicates that it's on). It takes several/hundred presses for it to switch on and then when it finally does there's a short time until the volume cannot be change and the TV graphic displaying the channel no. sometimes remains on the top right hand corner of the screen. I also suspect that once the warranty expires it has conveniently stopped working properly.
<br/>
<br/>It&#039;s a conspiracy!
<br/>
<br/>Marianne

303020_Badams63's Response to jimsten1980's Review

Written on: 07/08/2007

This has happened to my 50 inch Toshiba.

“I've owned the TV for 3 1/2 years now, and I have had...”

written by Delzrx on 21/01/2006

I've owned the TV for 3 1/2 years now, and I have had no problems up until now. Like many others on this site, I suffered the dreaded 'stuck in standby' fault. I called out a TV engineer who instantly fixed it by removing the PCB which controls the Teletext (I never use this anyway). This PCB is 65mm*85mm and has a blue connection strip on it numbered 1 to 15, not sure what the part number is, but on the reverse it says R-1786.

My TV is now working perfectly, minus Teletext, and the call out cost me £40.

Evanst58's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 08/05/2006

I can vouch that this solution works a treat - thanks a bunch for saving me the hassle of getting that TV repairman out.

Lindypatt's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 07/12/2010

We managed to find the part but tv has gone and stuck itself in standby mode again! help please!

Lindypatt's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 04/12/2010

We have the same problem and we're trying to fix it. Could you please tell me whereabouts in the TV this PCB is coz its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Pants1's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 09/05/2010

I found this review very helpful because...
<br/>Absolutely spot on! thanks
<br/>My TV was not responding to the remote control, I thought something was up with the IR receiver, then after switching off the TV (model 36ZP18Q)on main switch I could no longer switch it back on, it just stays in standby.
<br/>After removing this card with numbers R-1786 on one side and PD0267 on the other, the TV now works fine minus teletext.
<br/>I have now put the card back in and is still ok, so maybe a loose connection?

Geeteese's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 07/12/2008

Thanx Delzrx. A friend was getting rid of this tv due to stand by problem. It ended up at my house. Read your review, removed pcb board, hey presto fully working tv for free. Removal is exactly as Delzrx says and anyone can do this I'm a near retirement age woman.
<br/>Thanx again Delzrx.

Djdarius69's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 28/05/2008

I found this review helpful because... I found and removed that Teletext card and all OK. It removes easily it`s almost straight in middle of plate

245809_Twickers's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 05/06/2006

I had a Toshiba with a similar problem years ago, and had it "repaired" several times until I gave it away. I don't know why, but I bought the 32ZP18 and it developed the problem you described. I have taken the card out and now it seems to be working fine.
<br>Fantastic!!! Thanks. It's a pity the manufacturers don't take any notice of their customer problems. They might actually make better TVs.

Delzrx's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 09/05/2006

Glad to be of service mate. My TV's still working a treat after its open heart surgery!

Evanst58's Response to Delzrx's Review

Written on: 08/05/2006

Thanks Delzrx, this worked a treat and saved me the £40 - if I'm ever in Rotherham, I owe you a beer or three.

“Overall the Toshiba 32ZP18 is fantastic. ”

written by james1138 on 09/06/2005

Overall the Toshiba 32ZP18 is fantastic.

Looks great, picture is great, sound is good.

Up until now, very reliable, and would highly recommend it. Except just developed this stuck in standby mode fault and it's a pain.

I remember when I was buying the TV from Currys, the guy was indeed saying the advantages of the like of Sony and Panasonic was the TV's reliability over time. (I thought he was just referring to the tubes, obviously not). So, for 3 years I've been very happy with the decision to buy this TV. It cost £1,500 (July 2002). But now it doesn't even turn on, great! Even knowing this I still don't think I'd have gone for any other make or model. And even now with LCD and Plasma in the market, I've still not seen a better TV pound-for-pound.

“I seem to have a problem and i think it's a fault with...”

written by tvaddict23 on 08/11/2003

I seem to have a problem and i think it's a fault with the tv set, as the picture looks great, but it all seems to move like slow motion and things get very jerky sometimes, this is with anything digital pluged into it, i have my dvd recorder in and my nokia freeview box, and they both can look jerky, but i have a slight remedy for this, which to proves theres a fault, if i turn the tv picture menu on and switch from 100 hert to off then on again, it rids the problem, and the same with dvd. So as anyone got the same problem, i'm hoping not then it would be a tv problem, and i will return to currys, as it was an exrepair model, just seems like its scannings not good enough, but at least theres no blocking on the picture, its the best picture ive ever had on a tv, and ive had many, but the jerkiness is too much for me, even if i turn 100 hertz to natural its just the same nothing happens on natural, if i do the same thing as i do to remedy the problem with the 100 hertz, but with natural it remedies it, but each time i turn a channel over i have to keep switching scan mode to get a jerkiless picture. But great pictures arn't good enough if its gonna give me headaches.....

“Purchased a 36ZP18Q just over a year ago and now it...”

written by russellcannell on 13/09/2003

Purchased a 36ZP18Q just over a year ago and now it has died. It is stuck in standby mode. Toshiba say it needs a new microprocessor at £300+ .... So now i have a dead TV which cost me over £1700.

So much for good will from Toshiba .....!!!!

Allenkj's Response to russellcannell's Review

Written on: 17/09/2003

Advice from the Trading Standards website:
<br>Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights?
<br>A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This holds the shop liable for up to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is in addition to these statutory legal rights. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights.
<br>
<br>My addition: If you bought it on credit (including card) the finance company are also liable.

Dag56's Response to russellcannell's Review

Written on: 26/10/2003

That 6 year liability thing is interesting, makes you wonder why anybody buys extended guarantees.

“Have had this TV now for 8,9 months now, it has been...”

written by gaz. on 18/07/2003

Have had this TV now for 8,9 months now, it has been in for repair already. It was the one of the chips that had gone (fault was: when turning the TV on it sticks in standby mode). Toshiba's fault code 'stuck in standby'.
Other problems were with the dealer. KrishAV was where i purchased it from, as it was still under warranty you would of thought that they would contract an engineer or toshiba would fix it, but no, it is a 'grey area' according to toshiba and trading standerds are looking into this! So much for warranty hey?!

Rich's Response to 116821_gaz.'s Review

Written on: 07/08/2003

It's the manufacturer, not the dealer that provides the warranty. So it isn't for the dealer to do anything if the product breaks down, under the terms of the warranty. Still get the impression that you like the tv though...

“Purchased this TV after an exhaustive search of the...”

written by bozzie555. on 01/07/2003

Purchased this TV after an exhaustive search of the widescreen market. My major considerations were style ie. would it look good in my lounge, size and connectivity. It fits the bill in all respects and received great reviews in all the major home cinema magazines.

Something however is driving me crazy and I'm desperately hoping someone can help me out.

I have an LG5620 home cinema system connected to my Toshiba and would like to ensure that the normal televison sound is channeled through my home cinema. How do I go about this? At the moment I've connected the LG home cinema via a scart socket and when playing a DVD the sounds comes through the LG but when watching normal telly, the sound is channeled through my Toshiba telly.

Rich's Response to bozzie555.'s Review

Written on: 07/08/2003

It's a long shot but perhaps things might be different if you could plug the aerial through your DVD system and then from there into your telly. Then you might get the Home Cinema sound for telly as well as DVD. Does that solve the problem?!? Let me know...
<br>
<br>BTW, you didn't say how much this TV cost. I'm looking to get sorted with a 28/32 pure flat and a home cinema/ dvd package for around £800. The packages don't impress me - normally good sound or good vision - never both for the money. So separate TV and Sound system is the way forwards. Around £550 for a TV would be nice. How much is this one and any suggestions in the circumstances?
<br>my e-mail is [email protected]
<br>Cheers!

Tykes2's Response to bozzie555.'s Review

Written on: 12/12/2003

I have just acquired the 32ZP18 and the picture is fantastic. Like you I cannot get my DVD cinema surround sound to work with the TV or digi box and this is a Toshiba (SD43HK), which I was hoping would make things easy.
<br>
<br>Did you manage to get your LG to work?

“Overall I am very pleased with the set, especially the...”

written by nick. on 18/06/2003

Overall I am very pleased with the set, especially the picture and the range of input/outputs. It will be interesting to see whether the crack in the case that is developing is a general manufacturing fault or not. The set has not received any impact that I know of.

114270_Bigrd.'s Response to 108445_nick.'s Review

Written on: 09/07/2003

I noticed this fault on a display set in a branch of Curry's. The crack appeared to go from the top right hand corner of the screen towards the outside of the casing at 45 degrees.

“Saw the 32ZP18P in amongst other widescreen...”

written by Nemesis. on 12/06/2003

Saw the 32ZP18P in amongst other widescreen televisions in Dixons. It stood out like a sore thumb (in a good way). I was a little concerned by the comments made here about humming and screen probs, but went back and looked at it again. Still looked incredible.
Finally bought 32ZP18Q, arrived yesterday. Tested all sound, NO hum, checked picture, NO slant. Picture V Bright, will try 35/60/40 as recommended. DVD playback incredible. Sound is good under Dolby 5.1, if not available the Psuedo is good.

Even though I've only had it 1 day, I'm really impressed with the picture, I have never seen anything so crisp and clear and I do not appear to have any of the previous problems. Maybe the 32ZP18Q fixes some of the problems the 'P' one had.

“Bought the set a couple of months ago, no hum, no...”

written by on 01/04/2003

Bought the set a couple of months ago, no hum, no picture distortion, no complaints. I suppose you could get better sound quality with a seperates system but you'd be lucky to find a better built-in system.

“I bought the 32ZP18 earlier this week and have already...”

written by v3nkman. on 15/03/2003

I bought the 32ZP18 earlier this week and have already been on to Toshiba and the service engineers about the 'noticeable' humming generated from somewhere in the back of the television.

Even when the sound is quite high you can still hear it - not what you'd expect from a set which costs over a thousand pounds. People who have televisions from Sony/Philips have all said that they don't have the same problem, and more often than not they have 100hz widescreens too.

The service engineer told me that this noise is natural and then tried to blind me with jargon and the various reasons why this noise occurs. I was told that it is something to do with the coils in the back of the machine turning/vibrating... the guy then went on to mention something about degaussing - after that I switched off. He then claimed that this noise should stop after a couple of weeks, that these coils need time to settle down.

I am dubious, but he did tell me to call back in a week or so if this was still happening.

I'm not happy.

83274_Max.'s Response to v3nkman.'s Review

Written on: 26/03/2003

I have owned a Toshiba 36ZP18 set for over a year. Have had the same "humming" issue. After taking delivery of the set about a year ago, called out an engineer about the "humming". Engineer mentioned :- "Coils / Laquer" etc. If it makes you feel any better, its not a picture degrading fault. To be honest you do get used to it. I've found the set to be an astonishing performer, particularly if paired with a decent DVD player and hooked up using the EXT4 - Component Video Input with "IXOS 1703" cable.

“I have had this set since the end of January & have...”

written by Picasso. on 10/03/2003

I have had this set since the end of January & have been very pleased, great picture, good sound (apart from slight hum when very quiet passages), Excellent design....
.... up until today when the set failed, switches itself off after a few minutes, which according to Toshiba indicates a fault on the TV which powers down as self protection. So I am now awaiting an engineering visit to rectify the problem.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar, & what was the failed component.

“Wish I had found this site some time ago. Have been...”

written by Daniel. on 13/02/2003

Wish I had found this site some time ago. Have been the owner of a Tosh 32ZP18Q for two weeks and the buzzing sound at low volume is driving me mad. Engineer has had a look, and advised that the coils are fauilty. Coils now intergrated with tupe, so needs, new tube. Toshiba, informed awaiting a replacement TV. If replacement does the same, gonna get a refund. And do more research, I should know better.

Asked by JamesMcCaul on 25th February 2014 Report this content
Is this model of TV analogue or digital?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site