Dickens World Reviews

188

Dickens World - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Dickens World

Dickens World

“Definately designed for children”

Written on: 25/07/2016 by jackieeaton (1 review written)

I am a total Dickens fan and for my birthday I was treated to 2 tickets to Dickensian world!! to be honest it wasn't what I had hoped for as it is defiantly for children and it was really for kids to interact.. the set is great as really does look like you have stepped onto the set of a Christmas Carol and you think Ebenezer Scrooge will come walking round the corner at any moment!!! I think in the past it was amazing but feels a little run down now. I cannot fault the tour guide he was funny… Read Full Review

“Very interesting and guide did a good job ”

Written on: 31/07/2015 by Wigwam12345 (1 review written)

We enjoyed the guided tour , our guide " Tiny Tim " was excellent he talked to the children and help us feel we had stepped back in time . Just one point if he could slow his speak down a fraction as he talked a little fast we both have a hearing loss I feel it is very educational and helps everyone realise the life and times they had in Dickens that era… Read Full Review

“Great day out.”

Written on: 04/04/2014

We didn't know what to expect when we booked a visit to Dickens World but we had a pleasurable, information packed few hours and we weren't disappointed. It was good value for money, and our tour guide made the experience more enjoyable with details of how it was to live in Victorian Britain, and he really got into character too… Read Full Review

“Great Time Had By All”

Written on: 07/04/2013 by robbiefil (1 review written)

Visited on Saturday 6th April Tour guide ( redhead Pam ? ) was very good and very funny and it made for an extremely informative tour Would definitely recommend it if you are unsure having read previous reviews… Read Full Review

“Don't do it..... Spend ur money on a decent film, it”

Written on: 04/04/2013 by Ash200471 (1 review written)

Bad customer service, bad attitude, inability to resolve problems. Spoke to one member of staff who saiid one thing only to turn up and be told something completely different meaning a 3 hour wait for a tour. Spoke to somebody reported to be he manager only for another staff member to tell me the manager wasn't in.. Take you chance, but I won't be again. Best of luck… Read Full Review

“So bad it was funny!”

Written on: 03/12/2012 by Austindox (2 reviews written)

Went on 24th Nov 2012 to use up some Tesco Days Out tokens that we going out of date. Had no Great Expectations, which was just as well - it was very poor. The set was quite well laid out and obviously cost a great deal to build in the first place. Even the characters walking about added some life to the place although it soon became apparent that they were not just characters but they did everything else as well. The haunted house was closed and one of the characters asked us if we wanted to… Read Full Review

“Outstanding Halloween fun ”

Written on: 08/11/2012 by Sparkly17 (1 review written)

Visited during the kids half term week (oct 2012) It was brilliant, the kids dressed up in Halloween fancy dress and were admitted free of charge, which was part of the Halloween festivities. There was a street theatre show about to start as we arrived, which was very good, it was A Christmas Carol, the children then after the show were entered in to a Halloween fancy dress competition. There was a pumpkin trail which when completed the kids all got a sweet each. There were Halloween arts &… Read Full Review

“A second time visitor - the truth!!!!”

Written on: 04/11/2012

My family and I visited Dickens World about 4 years ago – and were wowed by it – it was truly lovely. Unfortunately, my husband couldn't go that day due to ill health so with the family and I ranting and raving about it – yesterday we decided to visit again (it would have been sooner but we live 60 miles away and of course it isn't cheap to get in. I checked the website before we left and saw that there would be Halloween activities (up until today the 4th actually) – with free entry… Read Full Review

Sparkly17's Comment

Written on: 08/11/2012

Wow it definitely was not like that when I went! Although I went on the Thursday 1st Nov. All Halloween stuff was going on, looks like you chose a really bad day!

Mrspatch's Comment

Written on: 09/11/2012

The 4d show hasnt been working for months (the 3d machine is broken) - although the video is still played in 2d.
The theatre isn't working - and Dickens world couldn't say when it would be.
The interactive screens are broken in the school house and have been for months.

So there are ongoing problems at Dickens world. First time visitors or ones that didn't visit when it first opened don't realise how many things aren't working - it was such a disappointment :-(

Jackieeaton's Comment

Written on: 25/07/2016

I only went yesterday 24/7/2016 and after reading reviews!! wow I only got shown the courtyard and the school room!!! didn't even know you could go upstairs and there was no haunted house.. no water ride nothing!!! just a courtyard with the Old Curiosity shop aand a few others!! I thought it looked run down now I feel it may close this year for good.

Read 3 Comments

“What a rip off!”

Written on: 08/05/2012

Terrible! Nothing worked, short staffed and not much to see. If it was a quid to get in it would still be a rip off!… Read Full Review

“What a load of old Dickensian pants. ”

Written on: 06/04/2012 by Jtop (1 review written)

Interesting to see the last review of this place is dated August last year. We went the other day and it has not improved. It is exactly as described in the previous review. The staff looked mostly embarrassed, which is entirely understandable. There was a performance of A Christmas Carol which was very unenthusiatically mimed by a few bored looking employees. There was some kind of haunted house which consisted of dimly lit corridors and displays of chairs, with recorded voices muttering… Read Full Review

“Absolutely terrible. Don't waste your money.”

Written on: 14/08/2011 by CravingDarkness (1 review written)

The title to this says it all. I had high expectations for Dickens World and had wanted to go for ages, so I used my sisters 14th birthday as an excuse to drag her and my fiancée there. They weren't too interested in all things Dickens, but they were willing to go because I had told them how amazing it would be. How wrong I was. If I could have given this review no stars, I would have. It was that bad. First off, we walked up to the building and saw two members of staff just leaning against… Read Full Review

Larissaalbum's Response to CravingDarkness's Review

Written on: 27/08/2012

We have just visited Dickens World yeterday (26th August 2012), and cannot understand the bad reviews, we were there for approx 4 and half hours. We found all the staff friendly and helpful and in character at all times. The theatre show was well presented, as was the boat ride. All the scenery and decore was well done and had obviously had a lot of time and money spent on it. The actors presentation of Oliver Twist was a little amature, but at the end of the day they are not top actors and it still told the story well. We did not think it was over priced, we even had lunch in the pub in there which was reasonable for a tourist attraction. We would definately recommend it.

Read 1 Comment

“criminal rip off”

Written on: 11/08/2011 by howamazing (1 review written)

Please don't waste your money. Whatever you are expecting, Dickens world will fail to impress you. Looks like a good set when you enter the "courtyard", but this is as good as it gets. All alleyways lead to fire exits, there is really nothing to do and there is certainly nothing to enhance your understanding of Dickens and his works. Good points? It is easy to find the exit… Read Full Review

“Splendid!”

Written on: 08/06/2011 by katy_3_3 (1 review written)

I took my family as part of the Dickens Festival down in Rochester. We got a money off coupon and we had a very nice time visiting Dickens World. My child was thoroughly entertained by the boat ride and the circus which was only £2 extra was brilliant. I will be going back and I would recommend… Read Full Review

“Excellent, so much fun! The staff were polite, the...”

Written on: 04/05/2011

Excellent, so much fun! The staff were polite, the boat ride was good if a little smelly. My 2 children loved it!… Read Full Review

“Absolutely rubbish. Won tickets to this as part of...”

Written on: 28/03/2011

Absolutely rubbish. Won tickets to this as part of the Big Kent Weekend and so grateful that we didn't pay. I was expecting old buildings to look at and enter and set up in Dickensian times, alley ways to walk through that lead someone, not bare walls to a fire exit. The boat ride is a waste of space, the space could be used for something so much better! Why did all the teenage actors have large plastic noses?

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!… Read Full Review

“No, I was not expecting a theme park. Yes, I was...”

Written on: 27/03/2011

No, I was not expecting a theme park. Yes, I was expecting that the place would celebrate the work of the great man.
To say I and my party were disappointed would be an understatement. A truly miserable experience at a venue that does not seem to know what it wants to be.
The glowing review preceding mine must have been written by the manager… Read Full Review

“Me and my beloved wife, R.H.Atkinson have thoroughly...”

Written on: 09/03/2011

Me and my beloved wife, R.H.Atkinson have thoroughly enjoyed reading a lot of Charles Dickens literature in our own spare time. With this in mind, we heard about Dickens World online via a Charles Dickens related online website. As soon as we found time out of our, quite frankly, hectic schedule, we booked a trip to The Dickens World. We successfully managed to book a highly affordable stay at the local Travelodge. This provided beautiful scenic views of the local river Medway.

Upon arriving… Read Full Review

Robthompson's Comment

Written on: 09/03/2011

I truly believe that this review is almost outstanding as The Dickens World itself in my full honest opinion. It has definately convinced me, Robert Charles Thompson, to visit the splendid place for the ninth time. Yes, you read correctly, ninth.
<br/>
<br/>Thank you very much for this very honest and detailed tale of events. I am almost definately sure that Charles Dickens himself would say the same. God rest his soul.
<br/>
<br/>Thank you again. Thank you. Truly grateful. Thank you.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 12/06/2011

Further to my comment on this review I and my boyfriend visited this attraction. The staff were very helpful and offered me assitance, as I have lost my left leg and use crutches, when they thought I needed it. That disappointed my boyfriend as he likes to help me. If you're disabled, don't worry about a visit.

Monoped's Comment

Written on: 24/03/2011

As I have also lost a leg but use crutches and not a prosthesis your review was very useful to me and my boyfriend.

Robthompson's Comment

Written on: 09/03/2011

I found this review very helpful because... like I said. Truly remarkable.

Read 4 Comments

“It was the Worst of times... It was the worst of times!!! ”

Written on: 22/02/2011 by nickylamb (1 review written)

It was the Worst of times... It was the worst of times!!!
A huge disappointment for any age. Clever Dickensian Buildings and layout... and that's about it..

The staff and 'actors' were pleasant enough, though I had a bad feeling when we walked in and were confronted with a lass in a 'Nancy' type dress, leaning obviously very bored, against a barrel and not meeting anyone's eyes!

There was a hugely embarrassing abridged 'production' of' A Christmas Carol'. Which involved 'actors' moving… Read Full Review

“We took some disabled children to dickens world, and...”

Written on: 21/02/2011

We took some disabled children to dickens world, and to be honest after reading the reviews i wasnt sure what to expect, however we were greated by a lovely lady on the reception and then as we entered there was a greating by another lovely lady, all the staff we came across, were friendly and made a effort to talk to the children and we all loved it. i am takign my step children this week as i am sure they will like it. its a great way to fill a morning or afternoon and the children learn a… Read Full Review

“We saw the mixed reviews before we went but based on...”

Written on: 07/02/2011 by Scott V (2 reviews written)

We saw the mixed reviews before we went but based on positive comments from friends who have been we thought we would give it a go. Unfortunately I think the reviews pretty much summed it up - on balance it is OK, at best.

We didn't think it overly expensive but it cost a tad more than what we would have expected. Our girls (aged 7 & 4) were initially quite intimidated by the gloominess and general spooky feeling but one of the characters took time to chat to the girls, get them comfortable… Read Full Review