Britax Eclipse SI Reviews

Britax Eclipse SI
Britax Eclipse SI

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“I have had four of these car seats - two per car. ...”

Written on: 26/01/2010

I have had four of these car seats - two per car. Each has lasted from birth until my children were just under 4. You do need to read and understand the instructions to change the harness settings but once I had done it twice I found it really easy to do. Washing the covers has been simple enough and I have had no problems putting them back on. I went on to sell all four of the car seats (having never been in an accident) in very good condition. Take care of them - they are worth every penny!

“I have now owned the Britax Eclipse SI for over two...”

Written on: 12/10/2006 by Clair (1 review written)

I have now owned the Britax Eclipse SI for over two years and it has grown with my daughter's needs and size. I first bought the car seat when she reached 1 but it is suitable for younger babies and she is fast approaching four now, with still more scope for her growing with it.

What I like is that it blends into the car, it is easy to use and more importantly very easy to fit, which comes in handy when swapping cars or removing for cleaning.

Due to the size of the chair my daughter is able to look out of the window both front and side, which is great on long car journeys, when spotting sheep.

With the new car laws, I can see me having this for a few more years due to not only the quality but adjustment in size that is available with this car seat, making it excellent value for money.

My only concern is the wear and tear damage on my car seat from the plastic base, but you can't put a price of depreciation of a car seat on your child's life.

I would highly recommend the Britax Eclipse SI car seat to anyone. Although the initial outlay cost may appear expensive at the time of purchase, this was one of the cheaper seats in its class and there is plenty of years use to be had from it.

“We bought the Britax Eclipse SI car seat for our son...”

Written on: 14/07/2004 by oneofeach (5 reviews written)

We bought the Britax Eclipse SI car seat for our son at about 9 months and have never looked back. We bought it from Mothercare for £100 which is quite pricey but we knew it was the one we wanted and it should hopefully last a few years, it's very good quality. It has a 5 point harness which keeps him safe and it's so easy to fit into our car. We actually chose this car seat rather than the slightly cheaper model because when our son falls asleep we can pull a little lever at the front and it reclines (it has 5 recling positions). However, with the cheaper model, we would have had to undo the seatbelt and readjust the position, waking our son up in the process which I really couldn't see the point of. Not sure if it will last our son until 4 years, our 3 year old daughter is too big for it and has a graco junior car seat but I still think it's good value for money and was our best buy car seat.

390488_Katiesma35's Response to oneofeach's Review

Written on: 09/08/2008

I found this review helpful because... every point was thoroughly explained. This review was written by a genuine parent who has answered all the questions a parent would be asking if purchasing a car seat. thank you very much.

Read 1 Comment

“Britax Eclipse SI - When our daughter was little I...”

Written on: 14/03/2004 by Groovee (27 reviews written)

Britax Eclipse SI - When our daughter was little I knew that we would have to buy a forward facing car seat and that we would need to investigate which one we wanted.

I knew I wanted a Britax one and the two which we narrowed it down to were the Renaissance and the Eclipse. Both were quite similar and were the 2 top ones it seemed in the Britax range.

We popped along to Mothercare and both seats fitted into our car with no problems. But when it came down to it, I found the Eclipse was the one I wanted! It was fairly new on the market and was getting good reports at the time.

It was quite expensive at £100 but now you can buy them between £60-£90 depending on where you buy it. Halfords, Mothercare, John Lewis and Kiddicare all have them and most independent baby retailers have them too. Mothercare and Halfords are usually pretty good for allowing you to try before you buy and quite often have special offers on the seats!

It is a big car seat which is quite heavy. It has a high side on either side of the seat making it comfortable and it is well padded, compared to some seats which are made by Britax. It is also very deep and the child will sit very comfortably in it!

It has a 5-point harness which is great for a younger child. The Harness can also be put at 3 different height levels which means it grows with your child. However, changing the harness can be a tricky job as you take 2 metal parts of the straps and harness through tiny little gaps. Sometimes the angle which you have the strap at makes it awkard and there is a knack to make it easy but it can take a bit of fiddling to get there!

There is also the option when your child is sleeping to recline the seat! It has 5 positions which is sitting upright to lying at a nicely reclined position if the child is sleeping. The recline lever is situated just under the actual seat but above the base! This is ideal if you are in the front. I have quite often reclined it from the driver's seat or the front passenger seat when I have needed to and found it easy to recline. However, when I was in the back seat I found it hard to get it to readjust except when putting the child into it!

Fitting the seat safely into the car can be done 2 ways. It can go at either door of the car and you use the diagonal belt. It can be a tricky job but even at 8 months pregnant I managed to fit it in ok! You should follow the instructions in the book it comes with. You recline the seat into the lying down position. The diagonal belt is held in place by 2 special lock things and quite often I have noticed people haven't made sure that they have flattened the seatbelt properly so that it is secure enough. The lap part of the belt lies in a special place at the bottom which has 2 red stopper things coming out of the seat and the lap bit fits in here and then I secure the diagonal belt making it as secure as possible. You then put the seat back into the sitting position and then I then put all my weight on the seat and pull on the straps and if it moves, it needs to be better secured, if there is very little movement then you will find that the seat is well secured! It is worth checking regularly that your seat is secure. My friend recently did this before a recent journey and tightened the seat up. On that journey they had a crash and the car rolled over. The only one not to be injured was her daughter in the seat which had just been better secured just before they left, so it shows that properly secured this car seat can save your child's life!

The recommended weights for this seat is 9kg to 18kg(20-44lb). Going on an average weight off a child this can be about 9 months to 4 years. But all children are different, so you need to go on the weight of your child for this! It is also suggested that you wait until your child is sitting up unsupported before they move seats! Unfortunately Eilidh needed to move out of this seat at 3 years and 28lb in weight. She was just too big for it and the straps didn't fit her correctly. That was a big downfall in the seat as I had hoped that it would last a lot longer than 2 and a bit years for her.

The cover on the seat is removable and washable. There were no instructions on it so I did a delicates wash and dried it on the horse after Murray was sick on it! The cover was quite easy to put on and take off including getting the harness padded bits through the tiny holes. But the Padded harness straps are not removable and were hard to clean properly. You can get a choice of fabrics but sometimes a fabric is limited to a certain shop.

I also noticed that the seat can get dirty under the cover so it may be an idea to take it off every so often and do a clean out on it!

Overall I love this seat. It is expensive but surely a child's safety in the car is important? You can buy other covers so that you can change them which is a great idea. This seat is great as a permanent seat in a car but it is rather bulky if you are needing to move it between cars regularly! I was disappointed that it didn't do Eilidh up until she was 4 or 18kg as it meant that we had to buy another seat sooner than we had planned! But as a seat over all I would definitely buy this again and recommend it especially after my friend's car crash!

I would recommend this seat, but please try before you buy as this does fit in most cars but some cars it just doesn't sit right at all and it is safer to try before you definitely purchase it!