Border Collie Reviews

Border Collie - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Border Collie

Border Collie

“A Border Collie is certainly not for everyone”

written by Reddogtrainer on 26/06/2015

Many people buy or adopt Border Collies because they like the idea that they are intelligent, often mistaking that they will be easy to train. This is not true. I own a Collie x Springer, and as a dog walker and trainer I have worked with a lot of Border Collies. What I see a lot are people who have bought Collies for a 'fun', 'easy to train' dog. Little did they know that Collies need an incredible amount of exercise every day, a ton of daily mental stimulation, and lots of positive, force free training. Collies are a herding breed. They means a lot of Collies will chase kids, other dogs, joggers, cars and livestock unless trained to do an alternate behaviour. They are often mouthy, and have a tendency to jump and grab clothing. Most are extremely energetic, and need upwards of two hours intense exercise every day of the year. They get bored easily, so it's a good idea to provide chew toys, stuffed Kongs, puzzle feeders and work on training daily. Many Collies are reactive and neurotic, socialisation needs to be positive and extensive around strangers, children and other dogs. They love having jobs to do, whether that be herding sheep or helping carry washing to the machine. Border Collies are not bad dogs at all, they are one of my favourite breeds. However not everyone can handle a Collie, especially an energetic or timid one. In an average family home with little training or exercise, Collies become bored, anxious and destructive.

“Border Collie ownership. FULL commitment required...”

written by CalvinCompton on 22/06/2015

My fiancée and I purchased our first home around 2 years ago and decided to get a dog. My family had always owned miniature dachshunds and she had a border collie when she was younger. We both love dogs and she convinced me to get a border collie puppy. We both thought we knew what we were getting ourselves in to by researching/previous dog experience but we really had no idea. Our border collie's name is Violet and she is now around 1.5 years old. These dogs are definitely only for people who are willing to commit at least 2 hours a day, everyday of your life, to dog related activities and bonding. A border collie can be the best dog you will ever own if you are the right type of person. No dog is as intelligent and demands as much attention. They will become an active and alert member of your family and will want to be involved in every aspect of your daily life. My life has completely changed since we got Violet. Unlike other breeds that are happy to stay home and around the house, border collies are always wanting to play and work and will only tire after hours and hours of sprinting, swimming, jumping, chasing etc. I have always kept fit playing sports and exercising 3-4 time a week but nothing could prepare me for the amount of extra hours of activity I would need to put in on top of this to be a good collie owner. There is no more sleeping in a little on weekends as I am unceremoniously woken once it gets past about 7:30 as Violet knows it is morning park time and has been eagerly waiting outside my window since 6:30 and is telling me I have slept long enough. We try to ensure she gets at least one hour of activity before work and in the afternoon she can sprint around chasing the frisbee non stop for 2 + hours until its dark easily if we choose to stay at the park that long. This amount of exercise can really drain you after a while and this really needs to be considered before choosing a border collie. They get bored very easily and will turn destructive if not given enough attention and physical stimulation. Once they get in a routine they will not forget it and know when it is their walk/park time. My fiancée works from home as a beauty therapist and Violet patiently waits outside occasionally looking into the window in the afternoon while keeping an eye on the time. She knows when it is 4:30 almost to the minute and when there is a rare day a client starts taking up her walk time she will start to protest with rude barks and digging. We have some fine gravel between some pavers and a retaining wall. She rarely causes any destruction in the yard but this gravel has been dug out about 15 times. The same spot every time and only ever when she thinks she will miss out on going out that afternoon. It is very annoying and she knows it, but we can't help but laugh at her response to what she feels is a terrible injustice. Border collies love swimming and being around water. She goes crazy with the hose, snapping at it closer and closer until it is spraying straight into her mouth. I have seen other border collies react like this as well. When you go anywhere if there is water she will always want to lie down in it. At the park we go to there is a very large, muddy basin of water that is permanently there and fills up every time it rains. She has been to this park nearly everyday for over a year and has lay in this mud at least 5 times each day for that year. It seems like it is in her instincts to want to be in water and get filthy in this stinking mud and has become a joke amongst the other owners. At first I thought she may just be too hot and trying to cool down but she goes in there whether it is hot or too cold for me to feel my hands. She really does not seem to feel the cold at all. If you want a clean dog that you can have inside most of the time, a border collie is not for you! They are all action when out and about and would rather be chasing a ball than being fussed over. But at home we have found Violet to be the most affectionate and loving dog we could have ever asked for. They are very licky. She is always so excited to see us first thing in the morning and when I get home from work. Border Collies have such soulful eyes and seem to understand what you are thinking at all times. They are very eager to do and learn new things and are always happy to earn approval form their owner. When they know your routine they will anticipate what is about to happen on certain days of the week. There are so many funny and quirky behaviours that we love to observe and laugh at and we can't imagine life without our border collie anymore. If I had known how much work it was going to be before we got her I would have probably reconsidered but now we have her it's hard to think back to before she came into our lives. Some closing points to consider before deciding on a border collie: - You must be the type of person that considers your dog a member of the family unconditionally and want an athletic life companion with an insatiable appetite for exercise. - You must be able to commit to at least 2 hours per day of activities with your dog and be willing to adjust your life around this. - You must have a very secure yard as we have learned. Border Collies are amazing at finding ways to escape. - You must want a dog that is always aware and analysing all your movements and whereabouts. - You must be able to accept that your dog will actively seek out mud and water and love getting dirty. - You must be ready for an extremely demanding dog that will expect excitement and attention every day. They will also get annoyed when they don't get their own way. Please consider these very carefully as many dogs end up in the pound because people are not prepared for this or think their dog will be an exception. For those who are prepared for all that border collie ownership entails you will have the most loving, funny, athletic and loyal friend you could ask for.

Solideogloria's Comment

Written on: 26/06/2015

Your dog is only young still - she will start to calm down a bit after she is 2 - 3 years old, depending on whether you got a dog from a working or a show line.

I have had two BC's and now have 2 BCxSpaniels and each one was different in terms of liking water and mud, being clean, being licky and exercise.

You are correct in saying that they have boundless energy - a good collie does the work of 5 men on a farm and can operate on just a few hours of sleep. They also attach themselves to one person in the family but are quite obedient to all members of the family.

Read 1 Comment

“Advanced Dog Owner Dog”

written by maryallen on 09/11/2014

BC's can be either the worst dog you ever owned or the best. It depends on how much time you have to put into them. That's why I call them the advanced dog owner breed. If you get a puppy the first two years are critical. They must be exercised, socialized, and trained at something that challenges their cunning minds. And this requires many hours of each day 7 days a week. If you 're getting your first BC I highly recommend getting a female. They tend to be a bit less jacked up and more compliant than the males. BC's were bred not just to be herders but constant companion to their lonely shepherd and hence they demand an intense relationship with their masters. They really need to be kept with you 24/7/365. Other than in the normal course of crate training, you can't expect the BC to stay in a crate all day without suffering psychological damage. BC's are so willing to please that they can't handle any type of negative reinforcement in their training. I've seen BC's ruined by literally one rough correction and turned into a shy, shrinking, dog that wets every time they are approached. They must never be given physical correction and sometimes even harsh words will effect them for weeks or months. Mentally they must be handled with kid gloves. It's call soft temperament and BC's are as soft as they come in this area. On the other hand, if you're looking for the dog of a lifetime and willing to put the time and effort into them you will have the most amazing dog and friend you've ever known. The rapidity with which they learn will shock you and you will see intelligent traits in them that no other dog possesses. Exercise is key. When I'm starting a pup, I get up at daylight and take him on a 2-3 hour hike/run and that bleeds off his excess energy making him much more pleasant to be around the rest of the day. I can't emphasize enough how many hours a day you will need to exercise your BC during his first two years! And he will need frequent, almost daily, off leash runs away from cars and other danger. I never cease to be in awe of how fast and long this breed can work and run! I've never had a BC that showed an iota of aggression towards humans. However when they're young and not getting enough exercise they can be overly exuberant and do their fair share of nipping. If possible, raising them with an older, balanced, well trained dog can take a lot of pressure off you as trainer. I find this key to teaching them to be calm while riding in a car as they're quick to follow an older dog's lead. I raised my first BC with a laid back female black lab and I'm positive she was instrumental in making him the calm, laid-back BC he became. BC's are long lived so all the time you put into them is well deserved. It's not unusual for a BC to live upwards of 15 and do so in relatively good health. BC's require only a small bit of grooming depending on what type of coat your BC has. Brushing them for a few minutes 3 times a week has been more than adequate for the ones I have owned. The BC retains the silhouette, eyes, and crouching stalk of the wolf and your BC will get tons of compliments on his appearance. He's a very handsome dog with the most intelligent eyes that just draws people to him. If you're looking for an amazing canine companion and have the ability to invest lots of hours in them, the BC will be the best dog you'll ever own.

“AMAZING,INTELLIGENT DOGS”

written by 105House on 22/03/2014

Border collies have been bred for years, originated as sheep rounders they are playfull and need a garden. They are smart and brave and very sociable and friendly

“Absolutely the perfect dog!!!! I have my own and she...”

written by llyy on 17/09/2013

Absolutely the perfect dog!!!! I have my own and she is the best, obedient, loyal, dog friendly dog. Good with all people. Doesn't bark at strangers at the door. Good with all our other pets. Very trainable and very loving.

“most amazing dogs in the world especially with kids”

written by shepbodie on 13/09/2011

i have had a border collie girl that was beaten up as a stray dog and brought her into my house she was my best friend for 16 years we never left each others side....I since took a while to get another collie and as an interverted person and a single mum of two gilrs 9 years later I was ready to get another collie for my kid was getting older brought a collie from a puppy mill and brought her for $350 and reported them and kept her for 2 years after my new born baby was born i say another pup in a pet shop that had been there for 3mnths they were ready to take him to the pound I paid $875 for him couldnt leave him here we had a connection go figure i would find one at a pet shop but had to save him...since they have been brought up with my kids and they are so protective of her and are so loved and inside most of the day I can not tell you how much these dogs love kids and grow up to be with them that they protect them as long as you run them everyday ....they now have a beautiful life on sunshine beach and train them on the beach everyday....its all about what you can give back tell you to watch ceaser mailan he taught me how to train my pups with out the expence and its worked now I take bodie my older girl 4 years old to the old peoples home to do tricks for them and the girl guides in noosa....yeah the need lots of excersise but thats what comes with there amazing personality to train so easy and love you....up to you what you put into it....just love your collie thats all a dog could ever ask for and to be a part of your family every day even when your cooking or cleaning they just want to be with you for collies need constant talking to and know they are there....I am happy I have given to collies a beautiful life ....if you dont excersise them you will be looking for trouble rainy days give them chews to keep them mind occupied or buy a $10 bubble blower they love it keeps their mind active....and releases a lot of energy collies need that to be submisive but they are very protective of younger kids if they are brought up with them they end up being your childs best friend love love love hugs hugs and in your family life and they are happy! they are amazing dogs I live a breath the love of border collies and I am 42 never forget the love mine gave me and the constant love they give me and my daughter of 9 years old to this day they are truley amazing dogs love again is all they need and to teach them new tricks always!

“Border Collies are THE most intelligent of all dog...”

written by Walks Far Man on 12/09/2010

Border Collies are THE most intelligent of all dog breeds. Because of this they are the easiest to train. However, a word of caution here, they also learn bad habits very quickly, so it's imperative that you know what you're doing. You must be committed to this breed as they are no good if your ideal dog is one that will lay on the settee all day never wanting to go for long walks. You would be better off with a Greyhound for that.

This breed really needs to be kept occupied at all times, after all they are a working breed making a great herding dog. When I had mine, he certainly liked to be on the go all day long which kept me extremely fit too.

“Border collies make absolutely wonderful pets. They...”

written by on 23/07/2010

Border collies make absolutely wonderful pets. They are definately not for owners who want a dog but don't want to train or play with them as they are incredibly inteligent and NEED to be doing something. I have trained mine from day one - she only toilets in a certain place (an easy to clean patch of yard 3feet square - never on the lawn, there are areas in the garden she is not allowed on but I only have to tell her once that it's 'not allowed' and she never does goes or touches anything that she's 'not allowed.'She has over 40 toys which she knows each individual name. She is quiet in the house ... oh, the list goes on and on. Lucy is my second border collie and I would never have any other breed - they are amazing, intelligent, loyal and amusing. So all in all with a good owner who is prepared to spend the time and effort to train they are fantastic, but put them with a lazy owner who doesn't spend any time training them and they become destructive, snappy and bored.

“I always said I would have a border collie when the...”

written by on 30/04/2010

I always said I would have a border collie when the kids had left home, so we had a lovely little puppy, and called her Jesse. She is now 6 months old, and I can say that she is with-out any doubt the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Both my wife and I love her to bits and she does everything we ask of her and more, she is very intelligent, loyal, and fits in well in our house knowing exactly her place,
I walk her regularly, and am training her to be well behaved with good manors, she starts training classes shortly, and I hope to take her to agility training when she is ready.
I believe that these dogs can fit into any household, but you must have the time for them, respect there breed, walk/exercise regularly and train/learn them to be good members of society, and you will have a fantastic pet and friend for life.

Best wishes to all new and old Border collie owners

Terry
Dudley
West Midlands

“Two weeks ago we took on a rescue tri colour collie...”

written by on 28/06/2009

Two weeks ago we took on a rescue tri colour collie from a dogs home; she is 9 months old and totally gorgeous. Never thought about a collie before until we found her (previous dog was Newfoundland) but being well prepared for all the exercise entailed was a help. They are highly intelligent and she has picked up on lots of commands already. Being slightly timid at first she has now relaxed and is very loving. Having said that I would not recommend to anyone who does little exercise or who is not willing to play all day long. As soon as she's had a (short) sleep she's raring to go. Not one for town dwellers - we are surrounded by fields and public footpaths.

“i have 1 border collie who has just given birth to 6...”

written by on 18/12/2008

i have 1 border collie who has just given birth to 6 beautiful puppies. Sacha is playful and very intelligent but can also be quiet and very loving and loyal. I recently lost my other border collie due to old age and her was 1 in a million. I personally would never have another type of dog.

“We have two Border Collies; a 12 year old dog called...”

written by Jezzi1984 on 10/11/2008

We have two Border Collies; a 12 year old dog called Barney and a 12 week old bitch called Dita. Barney has been a wonderful dog, practically trained himself and has always been pleasant and a delight to have around. We got our new pup because we thought she might help to keep ageing Barney young, which has worked a treat. The pair of them are great entertainment but often a bit too clever for their own good- especially when they work together. Admittedly, there have been times when I have just wanted to sit down and their playfulness has annoyed me, but you get used to it and will feel better for it. I would never have a different breed of dog.

“Our border is 2 now and is the complete opposite to a...”

written by alanwilson04 on 12/05/2008

Our border is 2 now and is the complete opposite to a typical collie you read about, he was brought up with a strict training regime from day 1 so that he understood when to be excited or not. All he does in the house now is rest and watch unless you invite him over to play or go the park.

When starting toilet training he took about 3 months to show any sign of not going in the house
When toilet training started kicking in in his system he had it sussed in a week.

Sometimes I've noticed collies can be quite insensitive to a situation. When my border terrier had an accident and passed away, my collie seemed more interested in saying hello when i walked into my house with a sleeping dog in my arms.

However he has learnt many things that make life easier for me too! I've concentrated a lot on the cons but really his behaviors is so brilliant he is more like a lodger in our house than a pet! He lounges about minding his own business until we call his name!!

I would recommend a collie to anyone who likes to run around (or socialise with other running dogs if they dont), lots of spare time on thier hands for at least a year for training to perfection) and anyone who can think ahead of a collie (not necaserily high iq, just quick thinker)

Hair loss is regular starting from spring to summer then settles down but nothing a quick Hoover cant handle

“Border Collie's are very loving dogs. They are loyal,...”

written by wabbithunter on 28/06/2007

Border Collie's are very loving dogs. They are loyal, and they would do just about anything for you. I wouldn't recommend a Border Collie to somebody who can't exercise them much.

“Sassie is a Border Collie / Labrador. She's is a...”

written by SaraCanning on 28/08/2006

Sassie is a Border Collie / Labrador. She's is a beautiful dog, very good around children and she has a very good nature. She's one and half years old and is a very big dog. We love her dearly, she gets on with our cat too.

“I have recently bought a smooth haired Border Collie...”

written by jackiel on 19/04/2006

I have recently bought a smooth haired Border Collie puppy. He was 8 weeks old when I got him, and he is now coming up to 5 months old. He was very easy to train commands, but very difficult to house train. He seemed to have a fear of outside. We gradually got over this by spending lengths of time out in the garden with him, and slowly he will now go into the garden on his own. He is very loving, and always wants attention. He is very curious as to the Guinea pig I also have. They have met on a few occasions with him on his lead and the guinea pig in my arms, and they seem to get on fine. He can be naughty, but after long periods of exercise he is the most obedient dog in the world. I was advised when I got him not to do to much exercise with him for the first 12 months because his bones were still developing, after seeing how happy he is when he is being active, I guess he will tell me when he has had enough! The more exercise he can get the better and happier he is.

I have considered getting a companion for him, but I am not sure if this would make him happier or make things worse?

“We have 3 Border Collies who are very affectionate but...”

written by alisone on 15/02/2006

We have 3 Border Collies who are very affectionate but also independent. They love walks and playing fetch or just running around. This breed does need plenty of exercise but as we live on a farm they have planty of space to run around all day. I do love this breed as they are very intelligent but very loveable.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I know of several owners who keep Border Collies...”

written by ivan1890 on 12/01/2006

I know of several owners who keep Border Collies simply as pets and who highly recommend the breed. I also note with pleasure the numerous favourable reviews of the breed on this site. But, I can only speak from my own personal experience which I now honestly summarise.
First, let me explain that having effectively ran an informal 'dogs rescue centre'for several years; being familiar with many breeds of dog; and having twice personally attempted to permanently rehome two dogs of this breed I have to go against what is possibly the tide of opinion:
Keeping a border collie as a pet is perhaps similar to keeping a parrot in a cage (a parrot has the mental age of a five year old child) or keeping an innocent person in gaol.
Taking a young or middle aged border collie out three times a day for routine exercise is generally not enough physical exercise, and certainly not enough mental stimulation.
This breed has evolved to think, run, and work for many hours each day, every day. Decades of domesticity has done nothing to dampen its fundamental nature. Consequently it is a farmer's, not pet owner's, dog and it is the only dog which I would not recommend to anyone for simply keeping as a pet.
Be particularly careful about taking on a rescue dog as, not withstanding this breed's outstanding intelligence, it is immensely difficult to re-train. Expect b.c. rescue dogs to often be headstrong and disobedient, and eat large pieces of your furniture if left in the house alone! Make no mistake - the b.c. is a FANTASTIC dog which earns my greatest respect. If you must buy one then please buy a puppy (I always state the opposite with every other breed); take it to dog training classes if you are inexperienced; and consider training it to competition level and compete with it, even if it never wins! This beautiful animal deserves a challenging life.

Magnetic's Response to ivan1890's Review

Written on: 18/01/2006

You obviously really know Border Collies! I have owned BCs for 37 years so, like you, have some experience. I have kept them as purely domestic pets - but agree that, for most people, this would be a mistake. They are certainly the most intelligent of dogs and think nothing of inventing games to keep themselves amused. They take a lot of controlling because they are not like other dogs in that they will not do ANYTHING to please their owner - quite the reverse - they prefer to train their owner to do anything to please THEM!

Read 1 Comment

“I have two dogs, a Border Collie and a Border...”

written by cathyjones on 06/09/2005

I have two dogs, a Border Collie and a Border Collie/Labrador cross.
When I first took them to the vets, she said to me, "very intelligent dogs. You don't need to train them, just give them the book to read". HAHA. Perhaps I picked the daft ones! The Labrador cross is brilliant! She has the Collie colouring, but has the shape of a Labrador, and the attitude. These dogs are fantastic, but they do take a lot of effort. Bear in mind that they are working dogs, but they are sweet, and I wouldn't change them for the world.

“I have a Labrador crossed with a Border Collie, and my...”

written by expert on 02/08/2005

I have a Labrador crossed with a Border Collie, and my dog shows many Collie characteristics. She is unbelieveably loyal, which is great when she greets you, but not so great if your out of the house for long periods of time, as she gets very upset. Also, she is quite agressive towards other dogs when they come up to me, as she wants to protect me. She is clever, and quite easy to train, but this means you have to exercise her a lot to keep her occupied.
Overall Border Collies are one of the most amazing dogs, just make sure you have enough time to entertain one before diving in.