Renault Grand Espace RXE Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Renault Grand Espace RXE - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Renault Grand Espace RXE

“i bought mine from a used car centre,fine untill this...”

written by on 11/02/2011

i bought mine from a used car centre,fine untill this year.my gear linkage cables broke £300 to repair and just this week slave cylinder went, only to find so had the clutch and then to top it off the fly wheel too.placed car in for repair to my horror its £725 to repair this includes parts and labour but the misses loves it so any thing for a quiet life. i just wish we had a bit more info about the problems that could arise before hand but all said and done so comfy,laods of space and a dream to drive so looks like i will be spending more on it in the future.to finish i hope renault do sort out some of these issues because it is reflecting on them after all

“We have had a terrible time with our Grand Espace 3...”

written by Happy14 on 29/01/2011

We have had a terrible time with our Grand Espace 3 litre diesel. We have had so many problems that we are today trading it in. The slightest problem has cost a great deal to repair. In the 7 months since we brought it we have had to replace the head gaskets, new gear lever, cracked pipe but the most terrifying problem has been with the electrics. The windscreen wipers stop working while driving and despite 3 separate days in the garage the root of this problem cannot be found. We have lots a great deal of money on this vehicle and would never touch another Renault Grand Espace.

“just bought a used T-Plate Renault grand espace 3.0 V6...”

written by wayneogleby on 22/04/2010

just bought a used T-Plate Renault grand espace 3.0 V6 24V automatic to find the rear door dont poxy lock which is going to cost £35 fitting it myself which is ok...i can handle that,oh and the rear windows dont work from the back doors but they do from the front??? havent figured it out the problem yet but i will!!!im sure this aint going to be the last problem im going to have but fingers crossed.OH...went to get new wipers to find halfords dont stock them and the at the dealers it was going to cost bout £55 OMFG!!! back to halfords and they can get them for £35 plus a trade card discount finally paying £26.88
Getting the feeling this car is going to be EXSPENSIVE!!!

“I have a 2001 grand espace 2.2 dci,this is the worst...”

☆☆☆☆☆

written by fireman49 on 11/07/2009

I have a 2001 grand espace 2.2 dci,this is the worst car I have ever owned including some cars which cost 2-3 hundred pounds.If there was a prize for the worlds most unreliable car this thing would win hands down.Renault dealer prices for repairs are extortionate ,DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE UNLESS YOU ARE AN ECCENTRIC MILLIONARE OR ARE A MASOCHIST.I would list the items which go wrong but dont have the space.Check for yourself on the net,just google renault espace problems.The car I have is now a worthless plastic garden ornament.

“I love the Renault Espace. I have had five in the past...”

written by on 06/04/2009

I love the Renault Espace. I have had five in the past eight years.
The Mark 2 3.0 litre V6 manual was the best for performance - could overtake almost everything in sight and still did 30mpg on a long run! I prefer the shape of the Mark 3. The early 2.2 dT engine is much the best and gives up to 45mpg on a long run if driven carefully. I love the driving position and visibility. It is like driving an ocean liner. I have helped several relatives move house. My last grand espace comfortably held an extending dining table and six chairs, a three piece suite and (an upright) piano (not all at once)!

“I haven't had such a bad track record with problems...”

written by Geoffrey B on 11/12/2008

I haven't had such a bad track record with problems until now, but recently the fan belt got worn an parts of it went behind a poorly constructed plastic shield which covers the cam belt. The parts of the fan belt got stuck under the cam belt which jumped. A total destruction of motor valves followed. The fan belt seems to have been destroyed by a deformation of the wheel on the dynamo. But why this wheel was destroyed is a mystery. The dealer workshop says a small stone might have got stuck between the dynamo wheel and the fan belt. But I don't think this is a plausible reason. I suspect some mechanic at the dealer workshop has inflicted these scars on the dynamo wheel. Fixing the motor will cost half a fortune.

“Dealerships I have used for my Renault Grand Espace...”

written by corkery on 04/11/2007

Dealerships I have used for my Renault Grand Espace RXE turned out to be useless with little technical knowledge and a 'computer says no' mentality.
I'd never ever buy another one as this latest version is much worse than the previous models I owned.

“I bought my Renault Grand Espace as a used vehicle...”

written by JohnyDoe on 23/09/2007

I bought my Renault Grand Espace as a used vehicle from a non-Renault dealer with the odometer on 140000 km. The first month was spent fixing everything not properly fitted or checked by the dealer. The only times I had problems with my car, was after services. The quality of the service delivered by the local agent is appalling. I must admit I once had a problem with the fuel pump. The high pressure outlet for the fuel broke - bad design. Apart from that, I had driven more than 60 000 km with this vehicle, and once loaded a complete x-ray generator in the rear. I drove 300km to our office with this load. I personally believe that if the technician that service your vehicle does a proper job, you will not have complaints about your Renault.

“Renault Grand Espace RXE's electronics are bad. We had...”

written by Chambo on 06/11/2006

Renault Grand Espace RXE's electronics are bad. We had to get the dash display fixed and it cost about £700. Ignition/immobiliser issues are the current problem. All in all this would be a great car if it wasn't for the questionable reliability.

“17 times I have needed to take my Renault Grand Espace...”

written by poorfellow on 05/03/2006

17 times I have needed to take my Renault Grand Espace in for repair during the first 30 months
Terrible experience

“Great to drive, smooth,quite,comfortable,pretty good...”

written by rabarab on 26/12/2005

Great to drive, smooth,quite,comfortable,pretty good on fuel,
I bought this Renault Grand Espace RXE 14 months ago and even though I read a lot of reviews about this car which were not good, I still fell in love with everything about it, and still do !!
In 14 months I have only had to change a front wheel bearing and fit a water pump, which did not fail, but was picked up when I got the timing belt changed.
I tow a caravan and the Espace is just a dream when towing.

“Good for someone who has loads of money!!!”

written by dingle1983 on 12/11/2005

Good for someone who has loads of money!!!

“Bought a Grand Espace RXE 3.0ltr V6 (6 year old T Reg)...”

written by biggar on 26/07/2005

Bought a Grand Espace RXE 3.0ltr V6 (6 year old T Reg) a couple of months ago to add a little comfort to family holidays/ breaks. The first planned trip was made in a courtesy Espace due to a radiator leak found when changing the timing belt prior to pickup. A few hours after collection, and it's first exposure to rain, I found that both sun roofs were also leaking. The rear hatch seal also fell off the first time I opened it. So much for the 150 point check, service and MOT that was supposedly completed on it 2 days previously. Two visits to the garage later (Reg Vardy, Edinburgh East), and the problem with both sun roofs was determined to be more than the seal, but the entire frame, and confirmation that there was little chance of a replacement before my second planned trip, due to a lack of the necessary parts anywhere in Europe (yeah, right!).
The second planned trip to the South of France went well, the Espace came into it's own, both in terms of space and comfort for both driver and passengers (apart from when it rained, although the internal shower from the sun roofs was quite refreshing). More than enough space, comfortable ride, and the revolving driver and passenger seats makes in car picnics a breeze. A few more problems did however surface during the 3500 mile round trip (apart from the fuel bill @24.5MPG): both rear wheel bearings went, a problem with the front wheel tracking causing low speed tyre squeal, and a failure of the engine temperature monitor that feeds the dashboard (which according to Reg Vardy is a wear and tear component, and not covered under my 12 month warranty!). I'm also still not 100% sure that the V6 is sounding as sweet as it should.
The car is sitting in the garage as I write, 7 days after dropping it off for the planned 2 days of fixes. The whole job taking longer than expected,, probably due to so many other Renault failures keeping them busy, one of the replacement sun roof frames having a buckle in it so a third replacement being required, and me refusing to pay a penny toward the engine temperature monitor! Sir Peter Vardy thank you very much!!
Overall this is a great car for a family. The diesel engine may be more economic. but the petrol is more fun (~200BHP and 0-60 in ~10 seconds,) if you can afford the cost of running it. Fully loaded you could leave most boy racers standing at the lights if you are so inclined, but don't watch the fuel gage too closely when doing so!! I tried just about every MPV on the road before going with this aging (6 years old) Grand Espace. Nothing comes close in my estimation. Reliability would be my only concern, so keeping everything crossed that the gremlins will be sorted before the warranty expires.

“If someone said to me five years ago I would have a...”

written by flooringman on 21/05/2005

If someone said to me five years ago I would have a Renault Grand Espace RXE on the drive I would have laughed in their face. We initially bought a espace helios petrol for business purposes and that is when the love affair started with the espace. We then purchased a RXE 2.2 diesel model. The grand offers a wealth more of features. I tried other MPVs, but the espace just did it for us. Its a car that can take seven people and a picnic hamper. Its the most comfortable car I have ever driven or been driven in, I can actually fall asleep when my wife is at the wheel.
Admittedley the first service was a shocker, but we had things replaced that had not been since the car was registered.
The air con is effective too, providing the manual is followed to the tee. All the mod cons of a luxury car including a remote control for the radio/cd which gives control to the passengers as well as the driver who has the controls at finger tip on the steering column. I think that was the overall impact I got about this car is that they have thought about everybody who is sat in the car and not just the two front passengers. Also the depreciation of the new value to second hand is quite dramatic, but then they seem to hold thier price.

“I purchased a Renualt Espace Race DCi People Carrier...”

written by Vera on 16/11/2004

I purchased a Renualt Espace Race DCi People Carrier in Dec 2001, whilst the vehicle looks the best in its class, and has the enviable reputation of being the first mass produced people carrier, I think Renault have become complacent and have failed to address long term faults with this model. In the 2 and a half years weve had this vehicle, it has broken down on many occasions, due to electrical problems, and fuel injection problems, and it seems renault are happy to keep replacing the faulty parts and charging the customer, rather than investigating why a modern car requires 8 new injectors in its first 2 years of motoring?

“I have a 1999 (T) RXE Grand Espace. 63,000 miles. ...”

written by ndh on 16/09/2004

I have a 1999 (T) RXE Grand Espace. 63,000 miles. Charging the mobile phone by the hand brake using the cigarette lighter plug caused the need for a new computer!! New clutch (whilst on holiday in France) and slave cylinder. New gear-box cables (whilst on holiday in France). No other car beats it for what it does

“We've had the Renault Grand Espace RXE People Carrier...”

written by philbees on 27/07/2004

We've had the Renault Grand Espace RXE People Carrier from new and it's been fantastic apart from the reliability. Six failures of something causing 95% power loss (never actually cured), new mileometer, power steering failure, diesel flap jammed, back door freezes, key fob failed, clutch broken. Each time takes about three weeks to repair due to Renault garage being full of other broken Renaults.

“We've had our Renault Espace RXE for 9 months - the...”

written by deb7168 on 07/03/2004

We've had our Renault Espace RXE for 9 months - the cam belt went - major money, water got into the electrics (map lamp) and had to be sorted out, and now the alternator has gone - yet to be priced!!

Karaburan's Response to deb7168's Review

Written on: 01/05/2005

I have just had a cam belt replaced at renault on my 24v v6 Grand They recommend a new water pump at the same time also new plugs as all these have to have the engine out to replace £2,300 Beware very expensive to run

“I love the new Renault Grand Espace RXE. I purchased...”

written by vinny35 on 02/01/2004

I love the new Renault Grand Espace RXE. I purchased the
"Renault Grand Espace 2.2 Initial Auto". It is one of the best MPV's I ever drove. Very comfortable on long journeys, and that sun roof is nice on summer days.

You really feel like you own the road when you are in a Grand Espace, Driver and Passenger!!!
Very Safe and loads of airbags airbags adds an extra safety point to the new espace.

BUY ONE!!!

Vinny35's Response to vinny35's Review

Written on: 16/10/2004

VERY GOOD REVIEW

“The Renault Grand espace is probably the daddy of all...”

written by Jools. on 29/06/2002

The Renault Grand espace is probably the daddy of all other mpv's. Lets face it, they all originated from this one! The exterior colours of this range are excellent. The little touches of hidden space and the fold away seats are excellent. The digital dash also is very good and to be perfectly honest, the fuel consumption of my 16v 2.0 litre is very good - around 35mpg on motorway. This is simply the best MPV in the market place. My only wish was that I could have bought the next version up of this one, RTX.