Citroen Saxo VTR Reviews

Citroen Saxo VTR
Citroen Saxo VTR

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“I have had 3 Saxo VTR's now, so it's fair to say I...”

Written on: 01/10/2010

I have had 3 Saxo VTR's now, so it's fair to say I know a fair bit about them. Every Saxo I've had is great to drive, handles very well, has good acceleration and can achieve around 36-40mpg when driven normally. The interior is fairly cheap, and the boot is small but it's what you expect from an older Citroen really. The engine when standard makes a lovely roar without the need for silly induction kits or big exhausts, the car really puts a smile on your face when in the country. It is also… Read Full Review

“Good little car for some one who is into hot hatches,...”

Written on: 19/07/2008 by davejoss1 (1 review written)

Good little car for some one who is into hot hatches, but they don't take a lot of knocking about, unfortunately thats why teenagers normally go for this type of car… Read Full Review

“Good fun car to drive and if you can get one cheap...”

Written on: 27/04/2008

Good fun car to drive and if you can get one cheap enough then it's well worth it… Read Full Review

“I've had my Citroen Saxo VTR for about 6 months now...”

Written on: 24/05/2005 by daveturnbull1000 (1 review written)

I've had my Citroen Saxo VTR for about 6 months now and I have enjoyed it! Cheap to run and cheap to insure! I had the VTS before the VTR and both are very similar, changed to the VTR because it was a lot cheaper to run. The car can be quite nippy for a small hatch alough the VTR has nothing like the performance of the VTS. The interior is a bit dated and isnt as appealing as similar hatches such as the 106 or the Golf.

One thing that puts me off and i'm sure others too is the fact that lots… Read Full Review

“Overall the Citroen Saxo VTR ia a good car. I Have a...”

Written on: 17/11/2003 by stuartdwebb (1 review written)

Overall the Citroen Saxo VTR ia a good car. I Have a 53 VTR in black and polished up it does look smart. The build quality is appaling in places so I would suggest you check the car over before purchasing. Mine had gaps between the wheel arches and the main body and a rippling effect down the side panels, even the saxo badges were falling off.

Don't expect exhilirating performance as you will be disappointed, 0-60 in 10 seconds is NOT fast. I bought mine as it had a years free insurance… Read Full Review

“Who are you all trying to kid ive just bought a new...”

Written on: 05/11/2003 by carlospn53 (1 review written)

Who are you all trying to kid ive just bought a new 53plate Citroen Saxo VTR and wish i hadnt its not that quick locks up to easily wheel spins to easily not enough grip oversteers far to easily this car is unsafe for a fast driver. Comparing it to my MG zr 120 well it doesnt its certainly not quicker and it sure doesnt handle as well and grip level is awful but it does have rear disc the ZR didnt have those but big deal verdict totally average car not worth the 9000 i paid… Read Full Review

Elainemathewson's Response to carlospn53's Review

Written on: 13/07/2004

I reckon you bought a dodgy one mate... yours must be a complete one off...
<br>
<br>bought mine for £5,000 at 2 years old, only 20k on the clock... never had any problems with it bar the usual replacement break pads etc...
<br>
<br>excellent little car, light, nippy, can accelerate quickly if you want or need it too, looks nice, sticks to the roads better than anything I have ever driven. I live in a city full of roundabouts and can go round one fully at 50mph no problem... corners like its on rails...
<br>
<br>I'd take yours back to Citreon if I were you!

Read 1 Comment

“great car - yes! ”

Written on: 23/11/2010

great car - yes!
fun - yes!
however it doesn't like rain! went round a corner I've known for years in the wet last night and the VTR decided to go over a puddle at 45 mph (aquaplaning) and kick the rear end out mid way over, when coming out, I slammed it into 2nd with enough opposite lock to cancel out the slide, to no ovail which I'm still confused about? and before you say I'm a qualified driving instructor (racing) and have an ARDS Licence as well as my standard full licence! don't plan out… Read Full Review

“ive just bought a citreon saxo VTR but worried about...”

Written on: 02/07/2009 by Kiirsty09 (1 review written)

ive just bought a citreon saxo VTR but worried about the insurance as im only 16 drivin it when im 17 coz every1 has told me that the insurance is gona be through the roof… Read Full Review

“if your not going to thrash one then go out and buy...”

Written on: 03/02/2007 by bener5 (1 review written)

if your not going to thrash one then go out and buy one because you'll get a good one for £2000… Read Full Review

“I owned two of these Citroen Saxo VTR cars- a 1998 mk1...”

Written on: 15/04/2005 by alex007 (2 reviews written)

I owned two of these Citroen Saxo VTR cars- a 1998 mk1 VTR and a 2001 mk2 VTR. I love the way it goes and having passed by test in a 1 litre Micra, the VTR seemed like a Skyline when I was 17. Now I actually do drive an R34 but I'm still a fan of the Saxo's styling which looks timeless on both the mk1 and mk2. Reliability isn't as bad as you are made to believe. There are faults with the car (ie- build quality) but the pros certainly outway the cons with this future classic… Read Full Review

“This is a very conservative and honest review. ”

Written on: 12/05/2004 by montana79 (1 review written)

This is a very conservative and honest review.

I bought a 2002 Saxo brand new at the time and after driving it home from the show room noticed that the back quater panels were rippled. They looked awful as if someone had kicked them.
I took the car back the following day and showed the dealer which they said they're all like that, which is true when you look down the side on most saxo's. This is due to the panels being glued on! Anyway, I had my panels replaced after much arguing under the… Read Full Review

184670_Afrcustoms's Response to montana79's Review

Written on: 05/03/2005

I strongly disagree with parts of this reveiw. Yes, the build quality isn't great but what do you expect for the price. This is how they make it cheap. I also disagree with it not being quick. Sure its no rocket ship but a 1st gear launch in the dry is still fun!! Most of these cars are bought by young lads like me. Most of us have been driving small, slow and often old cars. When I purchased my '98 VTR I was delighted! All in all you get what you pay for. If you spend £25k on a Scooby then it'll be quick, but for a car that you can get for sub £4k and only insurance group 7, you can't go wrong. This is the best 'hot' hatchback for the money of the lates 90's/early 00's!

Read 1 Comment

“Ok ill start with the performance becuase of the...”

Written on: 01/03/2004 by quiksilver1234 (1 review written)

Ok ill start with the performance becuase of the Citroen Saxo VTR. This is a young persons car and thats what normally catches attention. The performance is pretty average of most 1.6 litre engines however their is an extensive range of parts available for both engine and styling mods. The handling is firm and presice but has an unpredicatble feel to it at high speeds, especially at the back end. The interior is awful looking for a car that looks sharp and sporty from the outside. Overall this… Read Full Review

“I bought my saxo vtr from Reg Vardy in September 2001...”

Written on: 22/02/2003 by Rick. (1 review written)

I bought my saxo vtr from Reg Vardy in September 2001 after i just got my new job. I picked vardy's because at the time they were offering saxos with the full Dimma Concept body Kit (which i might add is the nicest looking kit on the market!). I snapped there hands off at the time so i could finance the car with the body kit on it, which was also included under the paint warranty etc. After two months of having the car paint started to chip off the body kit in numerous places but in particular… Read Full Review

99445_Gaz.'s Response to 74743_Rick.'s Review

Written on: 19/05/2003

LMAO @ 133Bhp. £4500 pounds later......excluding the £8k you spent on the car itself! Man, people dont understand the words 'rip off'

Ianjamesanderson's Response to 74743_Rick.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2004

Another good insurance company to use is elephant.co.uk My premium is now low enough for me to get insured on practically anything for £5/600.
<br>
<br>But to be fair, the VTR will probably be one of the most crashed and neglected cars you can buy. If you want a sporty car choose one that's not so popular, and you'll be laughing!

Ianjamesanderson's Response to 74743_Rick.'s Review

Written on: 19/04/2004

Oh dear, I can't believe it. 133bhp, that's less than my dad's 1.8 mazda 6.
<br>
<br>And you spent over £15k. You could buy almost any second hand car for that, an Impreza, a lotus elise, BMW M3, Delta Integrale, an old Jag, whatever! But you all go for the same Saxo with the same 17" alloys and the same body kit, the same induction kit.

<br>Well good luck to you, enjoy it and i'll enjoy laughing at your car when its in Auto Trader for £3000 in a couple of months!

151988_Lisa 69's Response to 74743_Rick.'s Review

Written on: 18/04/2004

Try Tescos insurance mike. They are usually the cheapest. But even with them I don't reckon it will be much different to the others. I wouldnt bother getting a nice car to start with anyway. You will probally ruin it. Wait a year and then get a nice one. plus that way you will have a no claims bonus, as long as you dont crash so that will bring ur insurance down. hope this helps.
<br>lisa

Samm's Response to 74743_Rick.'s Review

Written on: 01/03/2004

I really don\'t understand why everyone bangs on about Saxo\'s, everyone has got one and they look rubbish with those budget bodykits.
<br>If I had to get one, I would just get a lightly modded vts without all the rubbish hanging off it.
<br>These cars are 10 a penny, everyone and his dog has got one so u r not gonna turn any heads anymore!
<br>If you want a cheap hot hatch get a fiat uno turbo, it\'s only group 11 and is massivley tuneable and quite rare, and if you have a little more then a 205 1.9 is brilliant!

110463_Mike.'s Response to 74743_Rick.'s Review

Written on: 25/06/2003

im 17 just taking my lessons now, im looking at the saxo for my first car ive seen a v-reg 1.4 i like the look of but its only £4000 n all the insurance companies ive tried want stupid money like £5000 just to insure me, its stupid! anyone give me any hints about lowering my insurance quotes! and ye that is with pass plus! what can i do?

Read 6 Comments