The Phone Co-op Reviews

• Reliability

• Speed Consistency

The Phone Co-op - Ask a question now

“Abysmal service”

Written on: 12/03/2021 by M.Foster (1 review written)

Following my request for service at my new house back in December it has been a constant battle against un-returned phone calls, un-replied to emails and a complete and utter lack of customer service. When you do finally get a phone call from them it is from someone who tells you they have only just started and don't know what they are doing! Nearly three months later I am still trying to resolve issues with my account. I joined the phone coop because of the supposed ethical stance but I am struggling to understand how charging for a service you have neither the intelligence or the integrity to provide is moral or ethical. As soon as my contract expires I will take my business elsewhere.

Fussyfellow's Response to M.Foster's Review

Written on: 15/04/2022

My experience with the Phone Co-op was not dissimilar and I, too, found that everyone was a "new starter". One wonders what they must be like to work for if they are unable to keep people.

Read 1 Comment

“Disgustingly bad service from the Phone Co-op”

Written on: 12/11/2020 by Douglas379 (1 review written)

I am writing this review on behalf of my partner who, a week ago received an unsolicited phonecall from the Phone Co-op claiming she had run up a £90 data browsing bill on her mobile - originally she had bought a non-data package from them and at the point of sale was assured that browsing data could not be used - and the only solution was for her to sign up to an additional £8 per month data plan which would have "locked" her in to a lengthy contract. Obviously she was alarmed by this and queried the bill as she did not understand how the charges could have arisen as they seem to have coincided with her ordering a new SIM card as service here is very poor and it was hoped that it may improve it - it hasn't . At one point during the conversation she queried whether her SIM card could have been cloned. A short while later she received an email from the phone co-op rebuffing her concerns and, in the first paragraph lampooning her for asking whether her SIM had been cloned and telling her to ring Action Fraud (the Police Fraud reporting helpline). She wrote back explaining that she was unhappy with the way the matter was being dealt with by him, questioning some of the points he made in his email and asking for his line manager's details. He responded but still did not include his line manager's email. Today my partner received an email claiming that she has a bill for £120 from the Phone co-op which, when one considers that she signed up for a £7.99 per month package is not at all reasonable. She rang and complained again and was told that she could look at the bills online using her online account - an online account that has never been set up by the Phone co-op. My partner then insisted that a PDF copy of the bill was sent to her but, of course, it has not been received. Currently she is talking with Action Fraud the Police fraud reporting service (a course of action recommend by the person she first dealt with in his email first email) as within the terms of her contract it would not be possible for her to have used the data. This has to be the worst customer service experience my partner and I have ever come across. She has now left the Phone Co-op and I today placed my order with another supplier (which, incidentally, between the two of us are worth around £40 per month to The Phone Co-op in lost business - we have both been customers for around a decade). To summarise the key points are: that the data was run up/allowed to be run up, without her knowledge, within the terms of a "no data" package which should not have been allowed data to be run up (so in contravention of the Sale of Goods Act in force at the time of purchase 8 years ago). The issue of another SIM card, if it allowed data was also in breach of the Consumer Sales Act 2015 (the current consumer legislation) as it was issued just over one month ago. The Phone Co-op has not actively engaged with this issue, with the preron she dealt with having been offhand and lampooning my partner in his initial email and failing to give escalation details for his line manager - it is a legal right that these details be supplied to the customer on request. My partner has been reduced to tears by the Phone Co-op's offhand and unhelpful approach and, when one considers that she has been a loyal customer for almost a decade it is shocking to find that customer loyalty is not only disrespected, but seemingly viewed as a matter for ridicule. As a side note when I called the Phone Co-op to leave them the person I spoke to was utterly disinterested and suggested I could have texted instead. This has undoubtedly been the worst customer experience either my partner or I have ever experienced and the Phone Co-op should hang their heads in shame for the way we have been treated.

“Really tried to stay... but need broadband! ”

Written on: 22/04/2020 by Rush43 (1 review written)

Been with them for YEARS for phone and broadband, and I've the marked them relatively generpusly as when there isn't any problem, they're fine. But... in the summer they handled a situation abysmally - we had done nothing but another provider had taken over our line in error. They did make some errors but we just wanted it solved - it took too long and was like wading through treacle. Overlooked it in the end as we got line back after a few weeks and didn't want to keep going back over it fruitlessly. Reported new line fault on March 7th which started March 6th. No fix, no resolution... Had to simply initiate switching providers in mid April. I like the idea of a cooperative and all the people are really nice, but nobody has taken real responsibility for getting it sorted and it's ended up with really significant extra spends on mobile Internet. I've now requested detail of action on the case (largely as we're switching so it'll be helpful for new provider to not start from scratch!) - hope to goodness they AT LEAST do that!!!

“Be Warned!”

Written on: 24/11/2019 by FairPlay2020 (1 review written)

Be warned....disaster! If this 'outfit' were EVER an allegedly 'ethical' company (sole reason I signed up) those days are GONE. 'Customer service' a JOKE. Kids answering phone, not a clue, tell you anything to get you off it! Despite mob number provided (worrying situation) silence. SIXTEEN DAYS before full service restored. Initially (07/11/19) reason given, "engineering works in area, outtage on line, back on by midday" *22nd November 2019* before it was. Sly, devious too. What started off as "engineering works" etc, magically morphed into "internal equipment possibly at fault"; nice try; as both existing / NEW equipment eventually sent me, made no difference whatsoever, 'nice try' not 'nice' enough! Chaos start to finish. 'Clouseau Coop' more like.

“Yet another desperately bad experience with The Phone...”

Written on: 14/08/2019 by Nia474 (1 review written)

I have just experienced yet another desperately bad experience with the Phone Co-op. I rang them to see if I was on the best deal with them and was told how a couple of pounds could be taken off "here and there". Suffice to say I have now received the bill and it is nearly £4 dearer rather than the £2 cheaper I was quoted. I rang to find out why only to discover that the full terms of the change and the billing period changes were not explained to me properly (their words not mine). I insisted on rolling back the contract, as per my legal right (I am in the "cooling off" period) and the Phone Co-op responded by being difficult and accusing me of being unreasonably dissatisfied with their miss-selling. Their solution was to refund a bit and change a bit etc. Not good enough I said and I insisted on my legal rights. But why should I have to do this? They should understand contract law, for goodness sake. It is now (allegedly) all sorted, but we shall see at the next billing period. If it is wrong at that point I will take them to Ofcom to get it sorted. As a footnote we also have broadband with them and experience frequent drop outs in service.

“Rubbish”

Written on: 06/07/2019 by Duke96 (1 review written)

If you want a good service this is the wrong firm to deal with for phone and broadband absolute rubbish I switch to the phone co op from BT only to find myself with no internet I emailed them and heard nothing I phoned them after being past from one person to the next they said that the pone line was live by it has been dead since the switch they now tell me that they have called open reach to come to the house and there may be a £135 charge I can't wait to switch back to BT stay away from these rouges

“There was a fault at the green cabinet. The Phone...”

Written on: 14/11/2018 by GrahamKearney (1 review written)

There was a fault at the green cabinet. The Phone Coop charged me £155 for the engineer call out. I was a customer for 6 years. NEVER AGAIN.

“Awful customer service.”

Written on: 12/09/2018 by JasonRSmith (2 reviews written)

Slow broadband (I live in South Manchester). Awful customer service.

“Bye Bye Phone Co-op (or should I say Talk Talk?)”

Written on: 29/11/2016 by dobbybazzler (1 review written)

For: co-operative ethos, transparent pricing, UK-based customer service. Against: buying in services from Talk Talk. I write this review reluctantly but, having endured 12 months of often dire Internet connectivity at home, feel the need to share. We joined The Phone Co-op (TPC) last year, attracted by a fair price and the chance to support a co-operatively run provider. Before joining TPC we had been with Plusnet for years (long enough that we joined Force9 which later became part of Plusnet) and had no quibbles with the Plusnet service. The changeover process from Plusnet was smooth, with good communications from TPC and initial performance was excellent. But then the issues started. At times the speed is great, the best we've ever had on our ADSL connection, but too often it can be dreadful. Dial-up/ISDN dreadful. I won't bore you with the various attempts to resolve the problem. TPC's helpdesk have tried their best, but as far as I can see there's a limit to what they can do. It seems that TPC buy in Internet services from Talk Talk. If I'd known this to begin with then I wouldn't have touched TPC with a barge pole. I should have done my research before I signed up. Having great customer service is one thing, but when you're buying in connectivity from one of the worst regarded providers in the country then I can't help but see a conflict.

“Terrible Customer Service and very expensive”

Written on: 05/08/2016 by LocalReviews (1 review written)

Customer service good at answering questions no one has asked but not the questions I was asking. I was was charged £60 connection fee twice in error even though I was already connected. I was threatened with a £108 fine if I was not in when the Engineer arrived, no one ever came, the excuse was, I was already connected! But they refused to refund the £60 charged for connection. I told them their response was completely inadequate and requested instruction on how to cancel my order within 5 days of installation. Those instructions were never sent. When 10 months later I moved to a new address and Co-Op Phone could not offer me service there they charged me £97 termination fee. I move around the country a lot, I have never had these issues with other service providers. It worked out to be the most I have ever paid for a basic landline and 8Mb broadband service.

“Number not transferred yet”

Written on: 13/12/2015 by Patrickl484 (1 review written)

If the Co-op ever transfer my number over, I will be able to use the phone and then review the service properly. However, they stopped the service on my old number down two days ago and stopped the service on my new Co-op number over 24 hours ago. I am now without a mobile phone. Avoid at all costs if you actually want to use your phone.

“Reliable product, competetively priced and fantastic...”

Written on: 26/08/2015 by BrunoMcGregor398 (1 review written)

I've been with them a while now and I have line rental, broadband, phone and mobile services with the co-op. I've never had a problem with any of my services (the line speeds are very comparable to my old provider) and whenever I have rung the customer services team they are very polite and helpful. The pricing is very competitive and they are upfront about any other costs - I also appreciate my share of the profits for being a member. I also like that as I member I can have my say in how the business is run so if there were any things I wanted to improve I could talk to people about it at the AGM. If I had to pick a down side it would be their choice of hold music. Its very repetitive and sticks in your head all day - just as well they always seem to answer in around 20 seconds! Couldn't recommend them more!

“Why Coop Mobile is cheap!”

Written on: 30/05/2015 by coophater (1 review written)

This mobile service provider is cheap...and there is a reason for it...It is absolutely hopeless. The drones at their customer service centre are very polite and constantly apologise but that's because they have a lot to apologise for. They know nothing, they understand nothing - all they do is pass stuff on to 'their people at EE', who are also pretty useless, because the scripting that controls stuff is bad. Here is a very recent experience of mine: On Friday evening I accidentally created an ‘access code’ for my voicemail and as I didn’t know what I had entered I could no longer listen to my voicemail. It actually shows how bad their scripting is that someone just accidentally hitting a wrong button on a smartphone can do that. So I emailed them – because they’d gone home at 9.00pm! Then I called the next morning (Saturday) and some lady just took my number and said she’d call back in about an hour once the access code had been removed. Note she failed to even verify my identity. So I called again and another one did so and said it might take a few hours. By 3.00pm on Saturday it still was not working so I called again…and was told that their people at EE DON’T EVEN WORK ON SATURDAYS! And she said maybe the other women ‘didn’t think it was relevant to mention this’
. So I assume they pay their staff peanuts, because that's what they're worth...and we all know what you get when you pay peanuts.

“excellent service”

Written on: 21/05/2015 by pughsofhay (5 reviews written)

Our b/band speed dropped to 1.08 this morning. We telephoned Phone Co-op who answered immediately then asked a few technical questions and within 5 minutes our speed had retirned to normal 19.8. Our congratulation to them on an excellent service.

“Very poor customer service”

Written on: 10/04/2015 by Fussyfellow (9 reviews written)

I have been a customer of The Phone Coop for some years now. Sadly their customer service has, at best, been poor, with their people so often being utterly disinterested. This came to a head this week when I ordered a phone bundle from them. I received a curt and unpleasant email form them demanding to know why I had not activated my SIM card (this was because I had not received the phone) and then when I complained the woman I spoke to was simply unpleasant and accused me of being rude the moment I told here that I had a complaint. Currently we have three mobile phone a landline and a broadband contract with - not for much longer after today.

“They will make their failings your problem”

Written on: 17/02/2015 by McKnightfn289 (1 review written)

Feel very let down by the Phone Coop. Have consistently been overcharged for items and calls I did not authorise. They have an appalling habit of making their own failings your problem by not responding to communications. They then have the nerve to turn the situation around by claiming you are harassing them out of hours. I'm off to John Lewis for my phone and broadband.

“clear & concise with ethical and environmental standards”

Written on: 11/01/2015 by DevenHayes (1 review written)

It just works and if you are a co op member you receive extra points too. The Phone Co-op now own telecoms business of Saga Group and the broadband business of Namesco. It operates an affinity marketing scheme, where like minded partners receive a revenue share in return for introducing its supporters to The Phone Co-op's services. I paid my pound and am now a shareholder

Coophater's Comment

Written on: 30/05/2015

Only a shareholder would leave such a glowing review of this hopeless company.

Brotherbilbo2's Comment

Written on: 26/08/2015

About half of their customers are also members and so share in their profits. That's the whole point. As a member I can go and raise any concerns or ideas at the AGM also.

Read 2 Comments

“Good service for about 10 years”

Written on: 19/09/2014

I've been with Phone Co-op for many years. I don't recognise any of the problems mentioned on this site. The broadband is fine and I've never had any problems.

“Very bad service at number transfer”

Written on: 09/05/2014

I have bought a Coop mobile prepaid phone and have asked for transfer of my number to the new phone. This was first done in writing, then, due to the lack of response, I found out that I should rather call tehir service center. There I was told it would take 7 to 10 days. This is now long gone and still no transfer of number - i call back and I am told that there was a problem in their system, so nothing happened, I must wait at least 1 week more without any form of compensation. Basically I am stuck with no phone since a month - thanks COOP mobile!!!! great service, i guess that's what you get by buying coop prix garantie

“Coop phone is outstanding - Left BT and never looked...”

Written on: 01/03/2014 by JairoBryant (1 review written)

I had years of poor broadband speed and constant dropouts with BT. There bureauracy was terrible the service was very poor. I switch to coop phone and it has been a wonderful change! The changeover was very easy the customer service is excellent. It is far cheaper than BT! The broadband speed is better and no more drop outs!