Hayter Harrier 56 Reviews

Hayter Harrier 56 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Hayter Harrier 56

Hayter Harrier 56

“Very disappointing mower - I regret buying it”

written by McCabedt159 on 19/04/2022

Replaced my very old Harrier 56 (sold for £50) with the new Harrier 56 model (bought for £1100 in 2017) based solely on the strength of the Hayter brand and my previously good experience with the 'same' Harrier 56 model. I was looking for a long term purchase and willing to pay over the odds for good quality. I was immediately disappointment with the quality from new and my perception has steadily got worse over 3 years of use. Each time I use it, I constantly regret not fixing the relatively simple issues with my old one as it was so much better. The problems I have experienced are: it doesn't cope with wet grass like the old one did, at 'top speed' it is much too slow to walk behind, the carb has no guard / protection and the spring gets damaged/lost with any overhanding bushes (I've since made a protection guard from aluminium plate at the recommendation of the chap that fixed it), the handle knobs rattle loose and fall off, the carb is way too sensitive to any fuel impurities such as pollen or dust which seem to leak in around the flimsy air filter casing, the grass collector is often awkward to fit, my wife says that its heavier than the old one and hates it even more than I do... And I'm pretty sure the lack of a pull starter (I got the Instastart version in error, incorrectly assuming that there would also be a manual start option in addition to electric start) will be an issue due to high cost when a replacement battery is eventually needed. All in all, it's very poor quality for such an expensive machine. Hayter is no longer a trusted brand for me and I'm actively looking to PX it for a different brand.

“Hayter Harrier 56 pro lawnmower ”

written by AubreeChristian on 04/11/2017

Just bought a 56 pro and governor spring already broke once. Ridiculous. Show me an English lawn that doesn't have a few overhanging plants. Wish I'd chosen Honda now but too late.

“Waste of Money”

written by on 21/04/2017

A Hayter customer for 30 years, but this is a disaster No protection for the rev control spring! It pings off if you even look at an overhanging bush I then need binoculuars or a metal detector to find it. Not easily replaced either DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER HAYTER REALLY HAVE LOST THE PLOT

“Glaring Design Faults.”

written by LeonStrong on 17/05/2016

How can Hayter not be able to design a fool proof drive system for their mowers. After a couple of seasons with my Hayter 56 mower, the self drive suddenly packs in, quite disgraceful. Also another annoying design fault is the groove that the grass bag locates into, this gets filled with grass every time you empty the grass bag and you have to clear out the grass cuttings from this groove before you fit the bag back on again. There is a hole in the deck that grass blows through, is it too much trouble, or expensive to fit a grommet. Are these machines not tested before they go on the market? Sort these basic and obvious problems and you will have an excellent product!!!

“Hayter 56 have gone all china cheap”

written by SS2012 on 09/04/2015

Dont buy this machine. Im in the trade for 25years and the build quality in the last 5 years is dreadful. In the first 3months I had 3 sets of wheels, new casing as it cracked as it is so thin. and as for collection when damp...what collection. Oh and to top it all the plastic liner is in bits under the deck. Sooooooo poorly and cheaply built. Buy Etesia, yes they are expensive but for a reason they last. Amazing machines.

“Bent crankshaft w/o hitting anything”

written by on 02/04/2015

Hayter are a disgrace IMHO! As a gardner with over 35 yrs experience I just cannot recommend this machine. I bought it partly cos of the perceived lifetime crankshaft gtee only to find out now in the small print that the BBC model isn't covered, and it cost me the best part of £1,100. The crankshaft is bent despite the fact I didn't hit anything and all that happened was that it got badly clogged up in wet grass. This is my 3rd Hayter 56 and clearly the build quality and performance is way below what was previously the case. I am now fighting both the dealer and Hayter after having been quoted between £5/600 to repair. The maching is less than 12m old! Wish me luck! I should've been told this model's crankshaft wasn't covered. So so angry!

“poor excuse of a lawnmower”

written by Tyrell490 on 29/05/2014

ive had this lawnmower now 2 weeks and what a complete waist of money £1000 for a lawn mower not fit for purpose very very slow under powered small grass box. How hayter have the cheek to call this lawnmower a pro is by far a complete pile of bull. i would have get better buying a £99 pound cheap lawnmower out of b&q. WORD OF WARNING ! DO NOT BUY THE HAYTER HARRIER PRO ! COMPLETE WAIST OF MONEY MAX SPEED OF 2MPH HAS NO POWER AT ALL THE MOWER IS THAT BAD I AM SENDING IT BACK FOR A REFUND SO I CAN BUY A PROPER PRO LAWNMOWER

“Hayter - not as good as they used to be.....”

written by milkjunkie on 26/05/2014

Having used Hayters for years I hoped that this product would be up to the same standards. However, the increased use of plastics and changes in design now make this a product to avoid. It is also much worse at picking up wet grass than our old 56 and the build quality is inferior. In its first season it has been into the dealers twice - once to have the gear drive replaced under warranty. Can't believe it will improve with age & feel it best to exchange before it causes any more trouble.

“Hayter 56 pre”

written by on 24/02/2014

I purchased 3 of these 2 yrs ago and 1 needed a new gearbox after 2 weeks of use which was dealt with under warranty, another I sold to another contractor and the third is now on its second gearbox. The build quality of these machine is awful, they are to slow (tweaked mine up a little), they can't cut anything in the wet ( just ordered some high lift blades to see if they improve collection), the front wheels break very easily as well. My old 2004 56's are battered but still more reliable then the new ones, although I have put new Quantum engines on with new crank, still underpowered but do not block up with wet grass as much. To be honest even on dry days the pro does not fill the grass box fully, maybe the new blades will help? They also need a constant supply of new drive belts and after speaking to hayter to see if they would help with the cost of replacing the entire roller and gearbox on a machine that although 2yrs old has only had one full season of use, they said that if repairs were carried out by an approved dealer then maybe subject to a report they might help. I have ordered part already and paid for postage etc so will have to forget this and fit myself. Would I buy another of these? No way ever hayter again, will have to try honda 21 roller mower, more money but less aggro I am told. Shame because used hayters since mid 80's, they must have cut costs and quality of parts and not great for a machine costing in excess of 1k.

“just doesn't do it.......”

written by westiebilly11 on 19/11/2013

oh dear...what have hayter done to their once great mowers?...over 30 years a professional gardener I have used many of their machines....but their hayter 56 (2006 model on) is a travesty. Poor grass collection and retention because of the sharply angle bag and poor airflow....I suspect bag is angled to allow for feet but.....and then there is the drive...variable?..works for a while then loses grip....plastic/metal pulley mechanism gets warm and belt slackens.....not good!...also whereas the previous model with side output shaft worked well and collected grass well...this one because of the redesigned underdeck clogs up easily...even damp grass is too heavy to be thrown into the back of the bag...and the plastic underdeck gets scratched etc and collects grass gum.....causing grass buildup.....as for the drive belts etc....they're not man enough to shift such a large and heavy machine.....listen hayter to those who use your machines....we matter..we use them....and we buy them..but we are fed up of dodgy costcutting and dodgy design..before you put mowers on the market...try them out first.....in all conditions!!!!!

“Hayter 56 pro”

written by Walsmowing on 13/04/2013

I've had several of the old Hayter 56 rear roller lawnmowers.....I'm talking of the ones built for years up 'til about 2006 where the drive for the self-propulsion came off a shaft on the side of the engine. Whilst they had problems with the roll pins on the drive-shaft & the split roller drive would give up through dirt getting into the rollers, they were on the whole pretty reliable and well made. I certainly used mine regularly on my grass cutting round and they tolerated a lot of rough handling. Three years of relatively trouble free use could be expected from them. Because of reports of unreliability of the later ones (I gather Briggs & Stratton no longer wanted to make that engine with the side drive shaft, causing Hayter to re-design the whole mower?)I continued with my old type Hayters even though they were becoming increasingly unreliable due to wear and tear. In 2010 I was assured by the mechanic at my mower supplier (the salesmen were reluctant to admit that Hayter had had any problems with their mowers) that a new model was being released & was vastly improved on the ones that had gone before. So in May 2010 I purchased a Hayter 56 pro. My intial thoughts were that I didn't like the colour (silver...the green was far nicer) and that the wheels looked cheap. However, there were proper bearings on the outside of the roller & the engine was more economical on fuel. It collected damp grass better than it's predecessors too. But by autumn the worm casts were sticking to the roller & jamming it up by building up mud between the roller and the bottom of the chassis to the point where it was reluctant to drive. Between then and last autumn (2012) it's chain drive had to be replaced as it kept riding the sprockets, it's had a replacement drive-box & replacement rubber belts. Through all of that time I've had to "assist" it as Hayter's claims for it to be "self propelled" have been just that. I have had to push it. I have got to the stage where I loathe it. And it really has had nowhere near the use of any of the older ones I've had. Nor is it just a one off. At the same time as it's purchase another was bought for one of my customers & I'm the only one who uses it. Unlike mine, it leads an easy life cutting once a week a large lawn (4 1/2 hours to cut) that doesn't grow much and is almost flat. After a couple of hours use, it's reluctant to pull up slight inclines. I have recently purchased a 21" Honda roller mower. I know that they are not perfect.....the roller's bearings need regular maintenance. However, a mower whose roller turns when I pull the handle is a novelty for me now. I always liked my old Hayters & feel that when I can be objective about my most recent Hayter, it would be a good mower were the drive issues addressed. With a mower weighing as much as it does, plus a bag of wet grass & a 22" cut, it's drive-box is utterly inadequate.

“I bought on of these (56) 2 years ago. Expensive and I...”

written by lionn on 11/02/2011

I bought on of these (56) 2 years ago. Expensive and I already had a good as new Mountfield SP 550 which I got on the cheap (new) at the end of the B&Q season (about £450). I have a large lawn and I am into my mowers. The Mountfield is a good machine, no problems at all and what's more the leaf pick up in the autumn is terrific. I even ditched the B&D leaf blower. the mower is like a vacuum cleaner for the lawn.Only negative side is NO STRIPES asit has no roller. I bit the bullet and splashed out a fortune on the Hayter. (Over a thousand pounds). But I'm a bloke and we blokes and our lawns...........and you only live once.
Happy with my purchase. Bit difficult to turn though. Wish they would stick on swivel front wheels on these things.

“I replaced my long serving Mountfield Emporer (20...”

written by on 16/02/2010

I replaced my long serving Mountfield Emporer (20 years service) with a Haytor Harrier 56 560E in late summer 2007. It works well on my variable quality lawns (a great deal of moss and clover, all at variable lengths). Being semi-retired, I avoid cutting wet grass at all times. The variable drive ceased to work effectively after only a few months. It now only works at the fastest speed. My only annoying problem has centred around the carburettor. Firstly the throttle cable jammed, and even after adjustment continued to jam. Secondly, a small plastic control arm on the top of the carburettor has broken off (possibly the choke). The carburettor is in a vulnerable position at the front of the engine and prone to damage if the machine is accidently pushed into a hedge for example. It would be helpful if a guard is fitted around the carburettor.

Bsmith456's Comment

Written on: 18/10/2017

This is my review. Here is an update. I still have this mower which is now 10 years old. I continue to manage without the choke. Starting is not easy but it eventually gets going. The control springs on the carburettor have continued to give problems but a little patience usually works. This year the drive failed requiring a new gearbox, belts and variator. Apparently the 560E was the last of the good machines. Subsequent models have presented their own particular problems. My local mower shop said that the 560E gear box was underpowered (designed for the 48) and Hayter provided an upgrade requiring changes to belts and the roller mechanisms.
On reflection after 10 years of cutting large lawns (mossy, thick thatch and much weed) nearing one acre usually in dry conditions (hopeless in the wet)., I suppose the mower has done pretty well but judging from the reviews above I will not be getting another one. Currently looking at Honda.

Read 1 Comment

“Im a Pro Gardener , Bought a Hayter 56 BBC AUG 2008,...”

written by on 19/09/2009

Im a Pro Gardener , Bought a Hayter 56 BBC AUG 2008, great machine Rolls royce, but beware the height adjustment settings are dangerous. Lowest cut will cause the blade to hit the ground scalping the lawn and bending crankshaft easily. The lowest you want to set the height adjuster is to No 3, beware !!!!!
Otherwise the BBC is the one to buy , spend a little extra and you will be a happy gardener.

“Having been a head groundsman for 10 yrs and using...”

written by on 02/09/2008

Having been a head groundsman for 10 yrs and using hayter 56 mowers we brought 2 new models, what a mistake the new "improved" Hayter Harrier 56 ones are not a patch on the old ones!
They hate wet grass,they do slow down over time,the roller gets jammed with wet grass and will not turn,variable speed is a bit of a gimmick, and I bent the crank in one! Making a joke of their unbendable crank pledge! Listen hayter bring back the old 56 even if its just for the trade as I will now be looking at other makes from now on!

“I have had new Hayters every year for 20 years, i am...”

written by ayliffe on 24/03/2008

I have had new Hayters every year for 20 years, i am so disappointed with this new 56 model. I am looking on ebay for your old 56s.My business is built around giving my customers a high class wimbledon lawn cut,and useing 56 hayters OLD MODEL has always delivered this.bring back the old models please hayter.

“New model brought in features such as variable ground...”

written by AVC on 25/10/2007

New model brought in features such as variable ground speed. This system worked when mower is new but soon failed. You need to be strong for this mower as it will require a lot of pushing as drive mechanism soon fades with a little use and variable speed becomes worthless. Poor quality metal used with springs especially on blade brake system snapping easily. I have replaced 2 already on my machine.
Overall a great machine in theory but let down by poor quality metal, and design flaw with drive system.

“Hayter Harrier is very poor at picking up damp grass....”

written by AVC on 16/09/2004

Hayter Harrier is very poor at picking up damp grass. System clogs and can leave a mess on your lawn. Front wheels easily bend as adjustment system just uses a bent piece of metal rather than any proper linkage. Over time this will mean deck becomes out of true and will leave half moon scalp marks on your lawn. Grass collection bag not strong, with very week plastic base.

“Hayter Harrier 56 - Good lawn mower all round, the...”

written by 4runner on 05/06/2004

Hayter Harrier 56 - Good lawn mower all round, the only problem I've had with it is that it didn't start easily, it backfired and squeaked in the wet. Cuts the long grass off though.