Daytona International Speedway Reviews

Daytona International Speedway - Ask a question now

“We went to daytona for the Pepsi 400 on 7th July 2007....”

Written on: 16/07/2007 by wilyscot03 (1 review written)

We went to daytona for the Pepsi 400 on 7th July 2007. This was, for me a lifetime ambition having always been a motorsport fan and a long time UK stock car fan. We got to the track with no problems by following the net posted directions to the park and ride parking lot. We left Orlando mid morning thinking that once there, there would be lots to see and do at such a massive event. On arrival at the track the first thing we had to do was use the portable type rest rooms outside the track. Bearing in mind that this was 8 hours before the race was due to start they were absolutely disgusting. !st bad impression before we got inside the speedway!
Once inside we were confronted by lots of impressive trailers selling souvenir merchandise etc. It was almost 100 degrees so we headed for shelter under the stands thinking that there would be entertainment of some kind. Wrong! There was nothing at all. Ok. so we headed for the visitor centre. Our seats were on the turn 2 tower so we used the trams which run round to turn 1. There were no signs for the visitor centre so we asked some of the stewards on duty. Would you believe none of them knew where it was! Eventually we discovered it was on turn 4. A long way from where we started but we were struggling with the heat and the incessant noise from the pa. so we headed for the refuge of the a/c.
When we got there we found it was $25 each to enter, fair enough, but what they didnt tell us was that this included a track tour which was not running because it was a race day. No reduction though. Once inside we were dismayed to find that the films and attractions inside all carried seperate charges. This had to be the biggest rip off ever. I was totally disgusted at the profiteering.
However, back to our seats for the start of the race. A band did play for a while in the lead up, but in a venue the size of daytona it was a wasted exercise.
What we were there for eventually started at 8.15 pm and it was a big thrill for me to see this live for the first time. I found though that I was getting bored by halfway because so much of the action was happening so far away. It was a great race with lots of action but my feeling was that I would have seen more on tv.
I know race fans are going to think I'm a moan but I really dont think I would spend these ticket prices every week. I think Daytona organisers could have organised things so much better and could have kept folks entertained during the afternoon. I would have expected at least a fairground which can be found at almost all F1 events.
My advice to any 1st time racegoer would be, dont arrive early, you will be bored stiff. Don't go to the visitor centre, its a major rip off and if you can afford to get seats on the home straight pay the extra and get them.
One last comment. The culture of drinking at this event was unbelievable. The amount of drunks in the speedway was a joke. We were in the line for the bus back to the parking lot and we could hear them talking about driving home. Some of them could hardly walk never mind drive.
Volusia County Police should be ashamed that this is happening in their area. In the UK these people would lose their drivers license for a year if caught and it does get enforced.
All in all it was a disappointing experience. I might try Nascar at a future date but not at Daytona.