Kawasaki ZZR 1100 Reviews

Kawasaki ZZR 1100 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Kawasaki ZZR 1100

Kawasaki ZZR 1100
Kawasaki ZZR 1100

“Zzr1100 Older but still the best ”

written by Cyclops001 on 22/08/2021

I have a 97 d5 not a pretty girl by all means painted a kinda matt black fairings have seen better days But im telling you WHAT A MOTORCYCLE This is the second one i have owned the first was a c model.great but not superb..but this one is everything a kwak should be fantastic engine.mind freezing acceleration & heart stopping top end. I put handle bar risers with some renthals and this bike is a pleasure to ride from london to cornwall or scotland. tingles in the lower half after 4/5 hours but thats ok Dont owe me anything so woulnd't get rid of her.being close to 60 means i rely on the bike being mechanically sound rather than pretty so if you want a bike that really makes you grin with pleasure..go try a zzr1100..you might be suprised also my son has an 1100 and he useses it for he daily commute to work in every weather and could not praise his beast enough yes there is mechanical stuff to do but what do you expect for motorcycles that are ridden everyday and respond to the push of a button so put on your crash helmet get your key start your bike and smile ZZR1100 Kwak still the best in my mind

“The brute of the early-mid 90's. ”

written by on 06/08/2013

I never owned a ZZR1100 Kwakker aka Big “ Z ”. But what I DO know is, the fact when I was in highschool ( 1991-1995 ), there weren't any factory production street bike that could out perform the ZZR 1100. It used to be a respected and in some opinions, a feared motorcycle to ride, due to its heaftiness and powerpack of 147BHP output and, a claimed top speed betwixt ± 278-283-284Kmh ( de-restricted mods ) Depending on the sea level and, type of tyres and of course the tyre preaure, and the "pilot" riding the thing as well. It's closest competition(s)at the time, which were the YAMAHA FZR1000RU & SUZUKI GSX-R1100WP, & the GZX-R1100L & M MODS, was at least approx 10-15Kmh slower than the brute. And its funny, how some people always would like to discriminate and critisize someone and/or, something ( in thus particular case " something " ) almost directly after being conquered by a motorcycle that weighed almost 12kg less, and with like; 80cc bigger engine capacity, and could but "JUST" manage to out perform the Big "Z". We're talking ( CBR1100XX-BLACK BIRD ) here. Which is an awsome machine allround but still, let's be reasonable here! Well, I guess that's human kind for one hey! I'm aware of the first " C " models that had gearbox (2nd gear) , suspension as well as, brake issues. Other issues regarding the heafty ol'speed monster I'm not familiar of. I've spoken to some guys who owes one and who, used to owe one and even more than one in past time. They only had good replies about the bike, although, if I can recall, all o'them have and/or, owned "D" mods. Anyway, I have respected the ZZR1100 "D" moddel, but prefer the shape and, the sporty paint scheme of the older "C" though. I guess altogether, its a personal factor, everyone have their differences in opinion(s). No matter, I still and, probably will always regard the Big "Z", as one of the best all time sports tourers ever built. Amen! ( RSA-KZN ).

“Love the big quack!”

written by cab43 on 04/09/2012

Would love to know where they got this photo from, not that I mind it is a particularly nice one......it's mine :o)

“big red zed ”

written by on 29/03/2012

i,m on my 11th kwak now(4th zzr consecutively)1 c and 3 d models.My last one d5 model had 56.000 miles up and still growled,whirred and blasted forward at a fair whack.yes they,re big,yes they can be a wallowy handful at times(mainly when running on worn tyres and pushed a bit hard through the corners)but were they originally designed for this? NO.For a smooth well planted comfortable touring/everyday workhorse they an,t be beaten so you can keep your honda black,red,silver bluebird thing i,ve ridden one and laughed in it,s soul-less,boring non-vibrating mid-rangeless face.The intake racket the zed makes from 4 thou onwards sounds like it could suck frail old grannies of the pavement.GET ONE THEN TELL ME YOU,RE NOT IMPRESSED.

“i have owned several bikes in 30 years of biking and...”

written by on 01/01/2011

i have owned several bikes in 30 years of biking and all models apart from harleys over the last three years i have had a kawasaki zzr1100 d7 and i find this bike ideal for my needs both going to work and pleasure biking last year i changed the chain and sprocket for the first time and i have gone from bridgestone tyres to continental road attack which seems to be better for all weathers and i seem to get more miles from them i also find the bike easy to work on

“My D5 does exactly what it says on the tin....Terrific...”

written by mps500 on 15/09/2010

My D5 does exactly what it says on the tin....Terrific all rounder that can be bought, and a good one too , for the same money as an FJ 1200, and in my book there is absolutely no contest. The zzr does all that so many different bikes do, but all in one. For the handling always check that the tyres have at least 40 psi, any lower and you will wobble around corners, and that you have the right settings, I have always found that it goes where you point it, and is assured and inspires confidence-just as long as you have the right entry speed into corners and that you enter it at the right point...simple All bikes are difficult to rectify in corners if you are too fast in, on the wrong line and braking in the wrong area ;I have had the brakes properly sorted and they are excellent, you can put on K1 triple pots on wit a fitting kit you can get on ebay but I have found not necessary. I had an inside line on an R1 on the A329 , purely coz the guy took the wrong line in and was braking in the corner and going outwards from the apex...I am not a particularly expert rider either.It will take luggage, 2 up and still do these things and for me - all for 1200 quid.
Bullet proof engines as long as you change the oil 2 times a year to be safe, it is so easy-just remember to remove both drain plugs/bolts....I would recommend anyone to get one of these if finances are a bit tight but you fancy a proper bike that will live with anything on the road , tour,twisties- with luggage and two up, in my opinion there is nothing else...I would have to fork out well over 2 grand for a rubbish Blackbird..again no contest for the money......GET ONE....

“ Well just got my 11 out of my moms garden been sat...”

written by on 29/06/2010

Well just got my 11 out of my moms garden been sat there untouched for 3 years due to buying a 12 not turned the key in all that time just abadoned her, decided it was about time i see what the damage was so last wednesday 16/06/2010 battery off 12 & onto 11 five minutes later she was purring away and that was on the petrol still sat in the tank a week later and a couple of front discs and pads and she sailed through the MOT what can you say fantastic mile muncher decided the 12 has to go cannot compete with the grin factor of my old workhorse sorry babe for neglecting you.

Stevipop's Comment

Written on: 08/08/2015

Love this, glad you saw error of your ways. Sad also that 12 was a casualty, should've kept both! Gotta love the eleven!

Read 1 Comment

“I bought this 1994 ZZR which had 68,000km 2 yrs back.I...”

written by on 17/03/2010

I bought this 1994 ZZR which had 68,000km 2 yrs back.I have enjoyed riding this beast and never got tired.It is a class motor and great gear ratios which could go from 25-320km/hr.It feels like automatic transmission.
Has very few competitors on straight stetch and has phenomenal acceleration.Downside is the handling in vey windy roads,as it has to be slowed down to get into the corner at the right speed.Otherwise,you won't geta second chance to correct it.Otherwise it is a great cruiser and can go forever.
Radh

“Brought the zzr 1100 about 9 months ago, from a...”

written by simmoden on 06/03/2010

Brought the zzr 1100 about 9 months ago, from a dealer. Its second hand and over 10 years old, it had never been dropped and had a few scratches in the fairing and got it for a good price. It loves eating tyres as I tried a soft compound Bridgestone Tyre on the rear and got about 6000 klms. I have changed the tyres to Dunlop GPR 100 sports touring tyres and running nitrogen in the tyres. Apart from that I spent very much on the mechanical and the bike is very reliable. The bike is powerful and yet controllable and is quite a heavy bike. I going to have the repainted back in it's original colour plum and going to fit a flip screen to the bike. I have done just over 9000 klms in the just nine months and really love the bike. It has been fifteen years since owning my last bike and fell in love the ZZR1100 after I took it for a test ride. It is one of the best bikes I have either owned. The mirrors are better than most and I got the seat reupholstered to make it more comfortable. Fuel consumption not bad for the beast, compared to power weight ratio of the bike. The bike handles quite well on Australian roads.

“the fastest thing you can buy for the money they cost,...”

written by on 17/12/2009

the fastest thing you can buy for the money they cost, much more than the sum of its many parts, with the stage 2 head and the full race exhaust ( have to lose the centre stand tho) you wont find anything faster and comfy to boot. proper grin matierial on a straight.

“ive had a few performance bikes (like most of you)my...”

written by on 07/12/2009

ive had a few performance bikes (like most of you)my zzr11 is in european
blue colors and other fancy bits its got a 4-1 micron pipe
its a heavy buggr reliable(although on the odd occasion it cuts out at 90 for a few seconds)its not reccomendable to ride on roads like we have in york as it bounces over every bump(my wife hates it)but ive been all ovr on it and and its good at blowing stuff off especially prats in performance cars that like to glue themselves to my rear on a regular occasion(although i wouldnt race a buggati veyron or a zonda f)i have to keep it away from where i live tho coz of the many thieves around here you know the type i am 13 and i can handle any bike coz i have a mini moto so i always dread the battery removal procedure i have heard of ,i also have a track tuned fireblade and i actually find the zzr compares favourably to it (the only thing i wish is thaT I could get a seat unit for it coz the back end of a zzr looks guff)

Guest's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2011

Guest's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2011

The cutting out is due to the fuel pump relay failing. I changed mine for £5 brand new off ebay. The Kawasaki range all use the same component. So check Relays for all models. The part number is 27002 1065

Read 2 Comments

“I have had my kawasaki D1 for nine years, and enjoyed...”

written by on 25/08/2009

I have had my kawasaki D1 for nine years, and enjoyed every minute untill last month, a tight right hander, slow speed and she threw me, i let her slide and when i came to a stop ,was very surprised at the lack of damage! scraped fairing and snapped gear lever. Picked her up with one foul move, adrenalin Rush i guess,Side stand out, one cigarette later, cranked her up and rode the 7 miles home (steady)Nothing about the D1 i would change, comfy, reliable and grat fun. The stainless 4 into 1, painted alloys,hugger and s/s braided hoses add to the style. (just need the fairing sorted etc) and all is well that ends well! JerryB

“Had 2 Kawasaki ZZRs now, an absolute jem of a ride...”

written by on 30/06/2009

Had 2 Kawasaki ZZRs now, an absolute jem of a ride comfort and power i can ride all day and still feel fresh brilliant for long distance touring around europe

Steve107's Comment

Written on: 19/08/2012

I have owned my d7 model for 3 months and can't stay off it,it's not brand new and some say looks a little dated,I say screw them,it looks fantastic in the red and black colours,comfy with bar risers,a little bufferting past 80, but a taller screen should fix,very smoth ride and will pull from low rev's with no fuss ,you got to love that grawl at around 4000 rev's!.The bike is quite easy to handle once you get into the swing of things,excellent engine with more power than I need,I honestly can't fault the bike, some will complain about weight or handling,but all bikes have their vices,but I can't help but love this bike which was a benchmark for others to follow.

Read 1 Comment

“Bought my Kawasaki ZZR 1100 six months ago. Power is...”

written by Mykejj on 25/06/2009

Bought my Kawasaki ZZR 1100 six months ago. Power is unbelievable, below 4000 rpm the bike is a pussycat, but a gentle twist of the throttle and this thing flys and keeps flying and keeps flying and still keeps flying. Disappointed in the firmness of the seat as both I and my passenger get a numb bum after just 100 miles or so and the stretch to the bars gives me writst ache in the same distance. Got to say its NOT as comfortable as the old GSX. Going to put some bar risers on it to see if the improves the wrist thing but the seat will still be hard. If not I'm gonna have to sell it as dont see how you could do the mile munching this bike is renowned for.

Mps500's Response to Mykejj's Review

Written on: 21/09/2010

Buy one of those gel seats...works a treat....

Chappeurz's Response to Mykejj's Review

Written on: 06/07/2012

I bought some risers for my D4. much more comfort and no wrist ache. Often do 300 + miles in a day, pottering about on the little missile. I,m 5'9", and also found it a bit of a stretch. Picked up the risers off ebay for £40. Dave.

Read 2 Comments

“I had a GPz900 for 12 yrs and upgraded to the 11 about...”

written by jullip on 23/05/2009

I had a GPz900 for 12 yrs and upgraded to the 11 about a year ago.Got a '99 model with only 22,000 k's on it.
Kawasaki is a great all round bike - incredible acceleration ,plenty of room for the wife and handles like a dream.
Was considering upgrading to a 14 but found them no where near as good as the 11

“The Kawasaki ZZR 1100 is very reliable and good...”

written by on 03/05/2009

The Kawasaki ZZR 1100 is very reliable and good handling on the roads although the chain and spocket dont last that long but probably my riding... very good bike gets lots respect from other riders

“This bike is a bike for most riders. It has awesome...”

written by tigerbiker on 16/12/2008

This bike is a bike for most riders. It has awesome power but tours smoothly, and on the speed limits. The brakes are adequate but the later 2001 model brakes are far better than my 1998 model. still attracts heaps of comments from fellow bikers.

“I am getting a ZX14 next but am not certain to sell my...”

written by on 12/12/2008

I am getting a ZX14 next but am not certain to sell my 98 ZZR1100 depends on the wife. Had a black bird too refind and gutless below 6000 needed 7000 plus to really start movig. The 08 Busa not a patch on the old one to enjoy the ride and the old one is not a comfy long haul unit compared to the ZED. The 14 is as close as I have found to the ZZR with more power and easier to get around the hills. Not bad for a bike almost unchanged from early 90s you have wait nearly 20 years to consider upgrading to a wothy replacement. ZZR1100.

“I've had two of these, a D1 and a D5 (a friend bought...”

written by on 08/12/2008

I've had two of these, a D1 and a D5 (a friend bought and I still have). The first things to replace are the exhaust and headlight. Get a Micron (saves weight, doesn't rot and sounds great above 6000rpm) or Nexus (sounds mean and looks great). Either of those systems are better quality than the standard exhaust. Replace the headlight bulb for a halogen as you stand as much chance as Stevie Wonder at finding where you're going.
The power delivery is immense so you don ' t need to continually click up and down the gears going round town. Pulls from just over 2000rpm so I can got from just under 20mph to flat out in sixth gear without batting an eyelid.
Change the oil remembering to drain via both sump plugs regularly and this bike will last forever. My first one was written off about 50k mls and still looked, handled and sounded like new. The second one I currently own is only on 27k mls and bar a couple of stone chips and front brakes needing cleaned out it ' s like new.
The Givi Wingrack 2 is the best rack for hard luggage. My other half fell asleep, at a ton on the motorway. Got a backrest on the topbox and using the panniers as arm rests she fell asleep! May she rest in peace.
In summary this bike is all I ' ll ever need for road use, don ' t bother on a track day as it ' ll bottom out too early. It ' ll quite happily work for the commute to and from work (9mls round trip through Edinburgh per day) and if I want to go heading for the twisty roads it ' ll work for that, likewise put the rack on and stop of in the south of France a few hours later with my other half on the back.

“I owned a ZZR1100 D1 model three bikes ago, I had it...”

written by marco999 on 16/09/2008

I owned a ZZR1100 D1 model three bikes ago, I had it for about twelve months. I'm afraid I got caught up in the 'got to have the fastest most powerful bike' thing and swapped it for a Blackbird, then went on to a ZX12r. I still have fond memories of the ZZR though, it was a supremely comfortable and highly capable mile muncher with an extremely powerful engine which can whisk you well past the legal limit from standstill in just a few short seconds; keep the throttle open and this baby will soon get up to 170mph territory - very fast indeed. All this apart the ZZR is one of those bikes which feels like you sit in rather than on, the well padded seat sloping nicely and up the back of the tank forming a very secure and comfortable area in which to sit; unlike a lot of other bikes in this class there is a good sized pillion area too with a decent stretch to the rear footpegs so two up, you and your passenger don't resemble two frogs mating! The bike is heavy though and shifting the thing on and off the centre stand can be awkward, but on the move feels planted and true, suspension is of course adjustable, mine was set quite soft but I still managed to take the bends with confidence and it handled impressively for such a large, heavy machine, the brakes are excellent too - as they need to be on a machine capable of the speeds this thing can do. Handlebar controls are well thought out and the dash is easy to read. I'm 6 feet tall and found the stretch to reach the bars very comfortable despite the large and protruding tank, however I would guess for someone smaller, handlebar extensions would possibly be needed or it could get uncomfortable. Down sides include electrics which have a tendency to give trouble, blowing bulbs and fuses were regular and a faulty ignition switch and starter button left me stranded one night. Tyres, especially the rear can wear out alarmingly quickly if you are heavy on the throttle and are expensive to replace, brake pads need replacing pretty regularly too - this is a very fast, very heavy machine don't forget so I guess it would be silly to expect anything else. Fork seals also have a tendency to wear out pretty quickly so check these before you buy a ZZR1100, they are inexpensive to replace but the job is a real pain. It's also recommended that you change the oil regularly too - do it and you'll see very high milage and pretty trouble free motoring, don't and it'll end in tears. If regularly serviced, this is, all in all, a reasonably reliable, very comfortable bike which can travel all day at double the speed limit (where permitted) always leaves you with a big smile on your face and all for next to nothing to buy.