BBC Radio 2 Reviews - www.bbc.co.uk/radio2

BBC Radio 2 Reviews
1.7

Summary

At Review Centre you can compare reviews of BBC Radio 2 written by unbiased listeners. You can also write a BBC Radio 2 review and let other Review Centre users know what you think of the station. What is your favourite show? Who is your favourite Radio 2 DJ? Do you like the Radio 2 playlist? Write a Radio 2 review and let others know what you think.

BBC Radio 2 Reviews - www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for BBC Radio 2 Reviews - www.bbc.co.uk/radio2

“Why change something that wasn't broken?”

written by PippaG60 on 24/04/2024

I loved listening to Radio 2 all day (except for the Daily Mail mouthpiece Jeremy Vine) and now I rarely have it on. There used to be entertaining presenters and great music but Helen Thomas has ruined all that. Does she not realise that because you may be great on TV that doesn't mean it translates to radio I.e Zoe Ball, Claudia Winkleman, Gaby Roslin; fabulous people but who use a crazy hyperbolic style on radio. How many superlatives can you use in a single sentence and say so, so, so in a sentence?! If your voice is verging on hysterical, your in. The talent of people like Simon Mayo, Ken Bruce, Steve Wright and Terry Wogan is long gone. I really like Sara Cox Jo Wiley and quite like Vernon Kay but for the rest, after 25 years of listening non stop, I'm gone. It's just another version of radio 1!

“BBC 6 music and radio 2 getting worse too much ...”

written by Hancockut474 on 08/03/2024

Have been listening to BBC radio 2 over 25 years and BBC 6 music approximately 16 years and the last 3 or so years they have been concentrating on liberal gender and orientation politics over substance BBC 6 music has become musically too much like radio 1 and 1 extra after 4pm weekdays until 9pm weekdays and after 9pm on Saturday concentrating too much on female presenter and views also lgbtq and race politics taking over and style too much over top!! Which has taken away the substance lot more resulting in too much modern bland repetitive music!! All at the cost of the fee payer also I think the person at the top of these stations 2 bias!!

“Talk about my self.”

written by KassandraGardner314 on 23/02/2024

Bringing MIlls and Kay on to Radio 2 was the worst thing that could happen, these shows are only to promote these two self absorbed idiots. Stop talking and yourselves and play the music, even that have changed, whoever has chosen the playlists for these show should go as well. Helen Thomas should go with immediate effect she has brought this station on its Knees. Am joining the Greatest Hits club.

“Awful unlistenable radio station. ”

written by Alexa70 on 21/02/2024

Was one of the best, now totally unlistenable, and un- entertaining. All of the best DJs have left, or been forced out due to the BBC’s un-excusable behaviour of trying to attract a younger audience that simply does not exist. Stinks off again too! Shame on you, the way you treated Steve Wright and Ken Bruce. Two radio icons forced out by the BBC. Helen Thomas. You should hang your head in shame that you have single-handedly destroyed One of the nations. Best radio station is now one of the worst ever, and totally unlistenable to the ear. Sadly full of second rate unprofessional presenters playing rubbish music. I have deleted my sounds account and will probably stop paying my licence fee in due course. Defund the outdated rubbish that is the BBC !!

“Not The Same As It Was”

written by 107Edmondson on 19/02/2024

I felt the decline of Radio 2 started at around 2017, when they got rid of Janice Long and Alex Lester. Then a year later, Simon Mayo left because he was forced to share a show with Jo Whiley. I have nothing against her but listeners were switching off in their droves, and Mayo eventually left. Then we fast forward to 2022, Paul O’Grady had to share his slot with Rob Beckett, he wasn’t happy about it and then he left, Steve Wright In The Afternoon being axed in favour of Scott Mills and last year, Ken Bruce leaving to join Greatest Hits Radio. I no longer listen to the station. Helen Thomas along with the previous controller Lewis Carnie have wrecked it

“PLEASE get rid of Scott Mills”

written by AylaCorcoran270 on 18/02/2024

I wrote a review when Steve Wright was kicked of his fantastic afternoon shows. What a huge mistake she made, not only has she left the torturously boring- droning - self important excuse of a DJ Scott Mills, but also the heart break she gave Steve. I haven't listened to the 2 pm slot since Steve left, it is abysmal to say the least. My disgust at radio 2 has if anything deepened. As for our forever friend over the waves,Steve,too late to rectify now. I had hope he would be put back at 2 pm slot and was above delighted we had him on POTP and Love Songs. We will all miss you incredibly Steve - you were in our lives more than a family member xx

“lost now as no one station is great like radio 2 was”

written by BrycenGreer390 on 15/02/2024

no Steve Wright, no Ken Bruce, instead we have self centred me me me me so fed up of your DJs not being DJs they are just egotists. We the public are not egotists, we want a friend in out houses not someone we would not associate with because they want to just talk about themselves. I am now having to switch around radio stations trying to keep up with Ken Bruce then other radio stations to not have to listen to incessant Drivel.

“scott mills ego”

written by SimonBee360 on 14/02/2024

The BBC made the biggest mistake in its history when it booted out the genius Steve Wright and replaced him with the prat that is Scott Mills. Even in today's tribute show on Radio 2 to the late Steve Wright, Scott could still not resist comparing himself to the legendary Mr Wright. Scott is the most self absorbed DJ I've ever heard on the Radio. Goodbye Radio 2. Hello Simon Mayo and the rest of the 'old school' DJ's over at Greatest Hits Radio.

“Sad Steve Wright news ????”

written by Allents349 on 14/02/2024

I used to love listening to the fantastic DJ Steve Wright in the afternoons but you got rid of the extremely popular man and replaced him with a rubbish DJ called Scott Mills and I now listen to Virgin Radio so that is another listener you have lost. Why are you replacing all the older DJ’s with young inexperienced men who are as dull as dishwater??!!

“I have a very small list of programmes that i am...”

written by DaphneEdwards1985 on 06/02/2024

I have a very small list of programmes that i am subscribed to: Sounds of the 80s, the Mastermix...and Pick of the Pops. The BBC Sounds App is nothing short of outstanding, so credit where it is due. So when Steve Wright took over POTP, although I had been one of those people that would never listen to him in the afternoon, I had no choice but to give him a chance. POTP is the recording of music history and also history itself. I think I - and the BBC Bigwigs - have given him enough of a chance now. He has gone from singing out loud to sporadic songs, to a constant humming, which he feels is the best way to introduce music. I find myself literally with my teeth on edge, trying to skip forward to not hear his prattle, shouting at the radio, muttering under my breath and a host of other things which surely are mentally unhealthy: the absolute opposite of the Paul Gambaccini version of the show, which was such an absolute joy. Steve Wright feels it's ok to behave like a listener, singing-in-the-shower style, but controlling himself and preparing himself correctly (we are so not interested in the pathetic name dropping) is a responsibility of a broadcaster, not a choice. What is going on behind the scenes? Why has the singing and humming increased rather than decreased, the more complaints are posted online?

“Terrible”

written by Haileex358 on 03/02/2024

Can't stand Scott Mills. He always talk about himself and his life. We don't care. He should talk more about music and the life of musicians...I switched now to another radio now.

“R2 review”

written by Dickinsonzh53 on 30/01/2024

I’m sorry Radio 2 but you and I are going to have to part ways. It’s become a home to all the Radio 1 dj’s from the 90’s who weren’t very good then and haven’t improved. Ball, Kay, Mills & Cox are all a distinct non-improvement on their predecessors to the point they’re virtually unlistenable. They witter on about their families as if any listeners are remotely interested or are reminiscing about some Radio 1 big weekend they attended where they all had this great time (but can’t really talk about in depth because of some of the behind the scenes stuff that went on), blah, blah, blah. How some of these people can get on the radio is beyond me. The one saving grace is the specialist shows at night time are still very good, proper shows hosted by proper dj’s playing good music, not the usual daytime playlist dross. Too many of the daytime lot like the sound of their own voices. They need to remember what they are there for which first and foremost is to play music.

“ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT MUSIC”

written by PLODE on 26/01/2024

I THINK RADIO 2 HAS FORGOTTEN WHAT A DJ IS SUPPOSED TO BE.A PERSON WHO LOVES MUSIC WITH A GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF IT PAST AND PRESENT.NO SONG SHOULD BE PLAYED MORE THAN ONCE A DAY.MOST RADIO 2 DJ TALK ABOUT WHAT THEY SAW ON TV OR ABOUT THEMSELVES.NOT THE STATION IT USED TO BE.

“It's all about him!”

written by erialc1 on 16/01/2024

Self absorbed egotistical bore. Always name dropping, it's all about him and his ego. Can't bear to listen to him. So boring!

“Do we really have to have Bobbi traffic on all the...”

written by Austenmccauslan on 04/01/2024

Do we really have to have Bobbi traffic on all the time? now she is being given more air time making the most boring comments which she thinks are amusing does she ever take a holiday she is there incessantly? Sally traffic at the weekend fin, entertaining and never fluffs her reports whereas Bobbi makes at least one mistake in each of her segments

“Too self absorbed ”

written by Ana370 on 29/12/2023

Ok in small doses but does not have the personality to house a prime time radio 2 afternoon show.

“Bring back Steve Wright”

written by Hardyes388 on 22/11/2023

I was so so sad when Steve left his afternoon show, but believed they would at least replace him with someone interesting. Sadly this is not the case.. I now have to change the channel as it is so boring. I miss having Steve on in the afternoons, he was such an original and have been listening to Radio 2 for 20 years and it really has gone down hill. He was dynamic on the radio and could tell how passionate he was about everything. Bring him back!!

“Change is not always the way forward”

written by DaliaWallace on 16/11/2023

What a disappointment Vernon Kay is. Always liked him, but since taking over from Ken Bruce… no more. Talks over the start and end of the songs, forever talking about himself, and most of his facts can’t be researched very well. Children in Need charity walk is the final straw. Yes, it’s a great cause but it’s just an ego trip-athon, getting far too much coverage. A quick update from time to time, but it’s total overkill. On a final note; Lisa Tarbuck totally wastes a brilliant Saturday line up. Soooo boring, and the music is dire. I’ll finish on a positive; Sara Cox and Jo Whiley shows are outstanding. Two top DJs who never fail to entertain.

“Preferred radio DJs”

written by Dave930 on 13/11/2023

What a disaster Radio 2 has become after the arrival of Scott Mills, Rylan Clark, Michelle Visage and Rob Beckett. Why don’t they have more DJs like Johnnie Walker, Tony Blackburn and Gambo. I used to enjoy the interesting OJ Borg when he stood in after Steve Wright was replaced by the boring and childish Scott Mills and hoped it could be permanent. I was never a big fan of Ken Bruce but I regularly tune in to Greatest Hits radio as it features one of my favourite DJs, Simon Mayo. When the Beeb sacked him it was the beginning of the decline in my opinion. I can’t see any new talent who can replace the likes of Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker, Bob Harris when they can no longer carry on. Certainly not Scott Mills or Rylan.

“Bring back a Steve Wright”

written by on 26/10/2023

Why why why was Steve Wright replaced with boring boring boring Scott Mills??? Oh dear, his show is awful, his immature inane drivel is enough to make anyone switch off. And don’t even get me started on the birthday game!!!! What a pile of poop! And saying ‘love you’ to every caller. His voice is completely flat, he’s got nothing interesting to say, the whole show is cringey and immature.. Loved Steve Wright so much, his show was factual and entertaining and also great music. My radio goes off at 2pm every day, back on at 4pm for Sarah Cox, she’s great. Gutted when Ken Bruce went too, I miss his show. Vernon is ok but no replacement for Ken!!

Greghavens's Comment

Written on: 19/11/2023

I couldn't agree more! The 'Birthday Game'- who's brainchild was that? Its a nothing game, don't tell me anyone actually looks forwards to it....'Love you', also, its embarrassing to listen to. I still can't get over the BBC replacing Steve Wright, the most enjoyable show on the radio since...Steve Wright in the Afternoon! Surely listening figures must tell the BBC that they made a mistake? Yes its rare to feel so strongly about a radio show but Steve Wright was the best part of the day- no matter what else was happening in life, so long as we had Steve Wright to come on and brighten the mood, there could be optimism. I actually didn't particularly like all the music that Steve Wright played, but I didn't care, I LOVED the show. If someone organized a protest to bring back Steve Wright I think people would flock- he's that important. Oh and I also agree, Sarah Cox is great. ps no longer listen to Radio 2, dj's on Absolute Radio are far superior...