Waterside MC250 Reviews

• Service & Support

Waterside MC250 - Ask a question now

“Getting rid of it”

Written on: 27/02/2015

The previous MC 250 packed up after a few years and did only a barely adequate job when it worked. I replaced it with a refurbished model from Ward. I do not think it has ever worked properly in the 2 years since installation. A new bathroom coincided with the fitment. There is limescale visible, water tablet tests show the water produced is hard and emails to the company go unanswered. I have no faith in the product and as a result of their inaction, no trust in the company. I have decided to… Read Full Review

“Help I need advice”

Written on: 09/10/2013

I have owned and operated a MC250 Ultra for nine years and apart from a few early problems it has operated well. I decided not to have a service contract so it has not been serviced in this time.It has now developed a fault of the salt chamber fills with water and does not drain away on regeneration. I have been in touch with the service department at High Wycombe and they want £180 + Vat for a parts and labour repair. Having read some of the other comments about the longevity of this machine… Read Full Review

“Had one for 17 years”

Written on: 20/02/2013

I have had an MC250 for over 17 years and it has just broken. It has been serviced, but infrequently, and unlike some members of the family and other appliances has just existed, doing its job. Waterside say that after 10 years service it cannot be repaired. I am amazed at the poor reviews here for the MC250 [and for the MC350] as I had just intended to swop the old out for another. Has something happened to them in the intervening 17 years to make them worse? Totally amazed!… Read Full Review

Lorrys's Comment

Written on: 05/04/2013

Yes they got taken over, the people who worked or waterside now call the selfs softener services in braintree Essex. Still make great softeners

A.swift38's Comment

Written on: 22/04/2013

I have a brand new MC250 (still boxed) if you haven't replaced your 1

Cptsteve's Comment

Written on: 20/06/2013

Do you still have it ?
Where are you in the UK?

A.swift38's Comment

Written on: 20/06/2013

I'm in Maidenhead. Are you interested in it?

Read 4 Comments

“watercrap mc 250”

Written on: 05/01/2012

Had this rubbish installed by Corgi approved installer 7 years ago . Within 3 months the cabinet began to leak from the raised Waterside lettering. The cabinet was replaced under warranty . One year later, the dreaded leak returned same place again ! Last year the thing got greedy and started eating salt like crazy , and that was the last straw. Easy to use and access etc but let down by very poor engineering and customer service. I have read 70 reviews on the Kinetico ( was also recommended by… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that I am disappointed to hear about your experience. When the MC250 was originally launched, it heralded a major breakthrough in water softener design, bringing electronic control, a compact footprint and ease of use to the broader market. Whilst the MC250 was revolutionary in its time, the modern equivalent is far removed from those early days. Development in electronics means that the Waterside machines of today are more efficient and flexible than ever before, easier to use and supplied with an industry leading 5 years parts and a full 2 years on-site labour warranty.

Customer service and feedback is important to us and if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please call 01376 334200.

Permy's Comment

Written on: 02/08/2012

Hi , many thanks for replying . I have discarded the Waterside MC250 , and now have Harveys Water softener ,installed by their approved installer , end Jan 2012. The new one uses block salt and is very convenient and easy to use . Furthermore , it does not use electricity and has twin tanks too , no problems so far and they even supplied and installed filtered drinking water tap with filter !
Highly recommended and Harvey is a nice bloke too , very down to earth and business focussed at the same time !

Claireselsby13's Comment

Written on: 08/11/2012

Hi.. good news everyone, tracked down the orginal people who worked for waterside.
Had a new fleck valve fitted and everthing is now fine.

“They like to leak”

Written on: 18/12/2011

I repair water softeners for a living, MC 250 leak for a living and they are very inefficient. I normally recommend my customers replace them but failing that we put the newer more efficient MC350 head on. People notice a big saving in salt. We do not offer a guarantee on the new heads as I still do not trust them. Its a shame that a british company makes such a poor product… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 13/01/2012

as mentioned I have a leak on ours, do you know where I can get parts for them from?
many THanks

Dear Customer,
As the manufacturer of the MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experiences. We would like to inform you that because of our continuous improvement we implement in our manufacturing, the MC 250 was superseded in 2004, making the youngest models a minimum of 8 years old. However, in most cases, we are still able to provide a comprehensive service facility for these older units at favourable prices. If you, or any of your customers own one of these models that require attention, please call our service team on 01376 344200 and explain the situation. Our dedicated team can offer you free advice or arrange for a home service visit. At the end of a call, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Clerkenwell1945's Comment

Written on: 20/11/2013

Have the same trouble with my waterside 250 ie leaking water into salt tank. can they be repaired?

Hi,

Production of the MC250 ended in 2004, so please contact BWT on 01376 334 200 and select option 2, as parts from the newer range of water softeners have been designed to be compatible with older products; therefore, the MC250 can be repaired.

However, there comes a point where replacement might be a better proposition. The current models of water softeners come with extended manufactures warranties.

If you have any questions or would like any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Steve Harper
Service Sales – Operations Manager

Pawebby's Comment

Written on: 20/11/2013

How old is the machine. If less than 6 years then I would recommend a new head.

Pawebby's Comment

Written on: 20/11/2013

I normally recieve a call spatter they have contacted you. Many times your engineers have offered new machines, but the customer normally realises that they should shop around. Sorry.

Read 6 Comments

“I've had 2 MC-250 Hi-Flow for over ten years.”

Written on: 04/12/2011 by Voxmagna (2 reviews written)

I've got two of these both badged as Waterside MC250. One is in Spain. Both models of the same number are subtley different. First you must realise that water softener products are sold like 'luxury goods' which means high prices, glossy brochures emphasing lifestyle attributes and tight lipped manufacturers who want to sell you after sales services and are unlikely to provide sufficient information for you to fix them yourself. Most will not even supply parts direct and some just assemble the… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to Voxmagna's Review

Written on: 19/12/2011

Vox, the above is already very useful, but publishing your manual would be immensely useful. We had ours installed in 2000 and it is still going strong, but we can no longer get service at a reasonable cost, so your manual would be great.

Thanks

Bwtuk's Response to Voxmagna's Review

Dear Voxmagna,
As the manufacturer of your MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for sharing your experience. We would like to make you aware that because of our continuous improvement we implement in our manufacturing, the MC 250 was superseded in 2004, making the youngest models a minimum of 8 years old. The valve that you are referring to, the Fleck 5600, whilst is no longer fitted in our machines, is still widely available online, as well as from us directly.

If you do encounter any future problems, we are still able to provide a comprehensive service facility for these older units at favourable prices. If one of your units require attention, please call our service team on 01376 344200 and explain the situation. Our dedicated team can offer you free advice or arrange a home service visit. At the end of a call, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Guest's Response to Voxmagna's Review

Written on: 17/01/2012

Voxmagna, Your review is very informative...I would also be really interested in any manual...the Mc250 we have seems to be filling up with water in the salt compartment and we are worried about it overflowing - what should we do.

Sam - Beds

Read 3 Comments

“Weak product, weak customer "service"”

Written on: 03/11/2011

We had a Waterside MC250 installed 6 years ago. Within 2 years noticed water seeping from the stamped "Waterside" logo on the front of the tank and large clumps of salt building up on the outside. It was obviously a manufacturing fault where the stamp had gone too deep and actually perforated the tank. There was also a leak coming from the valve at the back. Phoned up immediately, but Culligan did not want to know. They wouldn't even send someone to look at it without a call-out charge and… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, we have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and our service team, however, because of our continuous improvements in our products, the MC250 was superseded over 8 years ago. With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit. When this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team, instead then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Written on: 03/08/2012

Dear D Ayree,

Thanks for your response, I will personally pass on your comments to our service department.

I am sorry that you received a poor service from us, but I'm glad that you are now happy with your new water softener.

In the future, if you do require any advice, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at [email protected] or customer services helpline on 01376 334200.

D Ayres's Comment

Written on: 02/08/2012

I did phone Customer Services, (9 months ago) but they were just not interested, despite the problem clearly being a manufacturing fault. If bad attitude was an Olympic sport, they would have won a Gold Medal! I guess I should have complained harder, but elderly people do not like spending a long time on the phone with negative people, who could not care less, arguing. I bought an Atlantic T120, which is brilliant and softens the water much better than the Waterside. The guy who took out the faulty one and replaced the new one assured me that the leaking through the walls of the main body of the tank was obviously, to anyone who could be bothered to look at it, caused by a manufacturing fault. Never too old to learn from an experience - good or bad!

Read 3 Comments

“Useless piece of equipment”

Written on: 30/10/2011 by Frankiethe (1 review written)

Bought a Waterside MC250 (the later electronic model) 10 years ago when we moved into our house (installed by a professional plumber), never had one before but we were looking forward to a lime scale free life as we are in a hard water area. It broke down within the first 6 months sending brine continuously from the overflow, and a fairly unsympathetic engineer from Culligan came out to repair it, and replaced the rotary valve. I was expecting to get nice completely soft water from the… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to Frankiethe's Review

Dear Frankiethe,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. When the MC250 was originally launched, it heralded a major breakthrough in water softener design, bringing electronic control, a compact footprint and ease of use to the broader market. Whilst the MC250 was revolutionary in its time, the modern equivalent is far removed from those early days. Development in electronics means that the Waterside machines of today are far more efficient and flexible than ever before and easier to use. Our Waterside machines are now supplied with an industry leading 5 years parts and a full 2 years on-site labour warranty and typically offer a service life in excess of 10 years. The Waterside brand has since July 2010 been owned by BWT, Europe’s number one water technology group, and is supported across Europe by a team of sales and service professionals on hand to offer advice and support in choosing, installing and servicing the whole range of BWT water softeners. If you would like to add any further comments regarding your experience, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team on 01376 334200.

Lindbrite's Response to Frankiethe's Review

Written on: 03/11/2012

YES!! I agree. Thanks for the info on Easywater, will be changing mine for one of those.

Bwtuk's Response to Frankiethe's Review

Dear Frankiethe,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your experience. I have passed these details on to a senior manager who will take these comments on board with a view of improving on the customer service you received.

Frankiethe's Response to Frankiethe's Review

Written on: 05/08/2012

Further to Bwtuk's comment to my review, I stand by my comments. A water softener is not something that one buys very often, and so an expert comment for most people is difficult. However it is now apparent to me after buying another softener that my conclusion that the Waterside machine has never worked properly is a fair one. I still have the evidence in the shape of the scale on the glass of our shower cubicle. And I can assure you that the scale effect has been consistent from day one.

You say that the modern softeners are more efficient and flexible than before, however to put this into context it must be said that the basic water softener technology has not changed significantly since the ion exchange resins first appeared- the machine may use less salt and be more efficient in their recharging, but they are still the same as they were many years ago. Maybe my ion exchange resin was for some reason faulty, a conclusion I come to because otherwise when the machine operated it seemed to, for a period of 10 years (apart from the 6 month point failure), recharge and consume salt as the instructions suggested it would do. It didn't remove the scale problem though.

Out of interest I looked at the Waterside reviews on this website- curiously unusually the MC250 and 350 models had 50 and 30 review comments respectively, with both ending up less than an average score of less than 2 stars out of 5. Most other softeners had one or two reviews each and 5 stars. There's a message there I think.

Read 4 Comments

“I thought i was alone in having problems with this...”

Written on: 19/12/2010

I thought i was alone in having problems with this product but apparently not.
Having had the device for a few years i had a burst water main which was not the device's fault but had tremendous problems getting it repaired through the Culligan/Waterside network. I live nr their HQ in High Wycombe so there can be no excuses for their lack of availability of parts.
I have now had 3-4 visits from their so called service engineers and have found them to be real jobsworths and on a couple of… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, we have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. We would like to inform you that because of our continuous improvement we implement in our manufacturing, the MC 250 was superseded in 2004, making the youngest models a minimum of 8 years old. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and our service team. With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit. When this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team, instead then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Read 1 Comment

“I bought MC250 as recommended by my plumber about 10...”

Written on: 17/11/2010 by Vinay Gandhi (2 reviews written)

I bought MC250 as recommended by my plumber about 10 years ago and had constant problems from valve being replaced to the cabinet in the kitchen being flooded. The service from Culligan was good but expensive and with the latest flooding incident due to faulty valve I have decided to buy a new one but not an MC350.

The MC250 required regular repair and therefore decided to take out a maintenance contract but that is not being renewed since the machine is over 10 years old. I would not… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to Vinay Gandhi's Review

Dear Vinay Gandhi,

With Waterside water softeners typically lasting over ten years, BWT are still pleased to support the MC250 in the field with a full range of service options. Our dedicated UK team can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200 and can offer you free advice or arrange for a home service visit if necessary.

Customer service is important to us and if at the end of any call or service visit you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Read 1 Comment

“Owned a Waterside MC250 Ultra water softner for seven...”

Written on: 26/10/2010

Owned a Waterside MC250 Ultra water softner for seven years. Repeated faults and expensive engineer visits. Started filling with water AGAIN! Need to find a reliable replacement and definitely one not related to Waterside or Culligan. Any suggestions?… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. We would like to inform you that because of our continuous improvement we implement in our manufacturing, the MC 250 was superseded in 2004, making the youngest models a minimum of 8 years old. Waterside machines of today are more efficient and flexible than ever before, easier to use and supplied with an industry leading 5 years parts and a full 2 years on-site labour warranty. However, in most cases, we are still able to provide a comprehensive service facility for these older units at favourable prices. If you own one of these models that require attention, please call our service team on 01376 344200 and explain the situation. Our dedicated team can offer you free advice or arrange for a home service visit. At the end of a call, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Read 1 Comment

“We live in avery high limescale area, and bought 2 of...”

Written on: 03/10/2010

We live in avery high limescale area, and bought 2 of these Watrside MC250 dmachines six years ago when we converted the house and cottage. They are not the cheapest and we thought we were buying quality. What could go wrong, almost no moving parts and so simple? How wrong we were. They have both been a constant nuisance and cause for concern. They have both leaked causing severe damage to the cupboards and skirting on both installations (which were done professionaly.) Their servicing costs… Read Full Review

Read 1 Comment

“I have owned one of these machines for around seven...”

Written on: 16/08/2010 by Top Banana (1 review written)

I have owned one of these machines for around seven years now and it has given me nothing but grief. I am an Electrical Engineer by trade and Installed the MC250 Waterside softner in my home under the kitchen sink. I fitted the appropriate valves including a pressure reducing valve. It was then commissioned by waterside themselves. After a year (typical) an error showed on the display. I stripped the machine down and found saltwater had leaked from one of the 'o' ring seals and corroded the… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to Top Banana's Review

Dear Top Banana,

Read 1 Comment

“This is my third water softener i have previous...”

Written on: 24/07/2010

This is my third water softener i have previous leftthe ones installed when i moved,we bought this Waterside eco-flo MC350 from Wolesley plumbers they could not give any comments as they did not use them at home.within one week of instalation the low salt alarm rang and kept ringing till i managed to contact the manufacturers tech line and got a code to shut the micro processor down.Then the softener kept altering the soft water setting,an engineer came and changed the control unit,6 months… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your Waterside water softener, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. Since July 2010, the Waterside brand has since been owned by BWT, Europe’s number one water technology group, and is supported across Europe by a team of sales and service professionals on hand to offer advice and support in choosing, installing and servicing the whole range of BWT water softeners.

BWT’s continuous research and development in our products ensures that the technology used in today’s Waterside machines are far more efficient and far easier to use than ever before. Our confidence in our products in demonstrated that since July 2010, our Waterside machines have been supplied with an industry leading 5 years parts and a full 2 years on-site labour warranty and typically offer a service life in excess of 10 years. If you would like to add any further comments regarding your experience, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team on 01376 334200.

Read 1 Comment

“I have read through these reviews on the MC350 & MC250...”

Written on: 01/04/2010

I have read through these reviews on the MC350 & MC250 with much interest! I must however be up-front right away and say that I have been in the water softener business since 1995 and have sold and installed literally hundreds of many different manufacturers machines over the years from North Somerset, through Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire.

Always being an independent (like a Free House Pub) gives you the advantage of… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of the Waterside MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that I am disappointed to hear about your experiences with the Waterside brand. When the MC250 was originally launched, it heralded a major breakthrough in water softener design, bringing electronic control, a compact footprint and ease of use to the broader market. Whilst the MC250 was revolutionary in its time, the modern equivalent is far removed from those early days. Development in electronics means that the Waterside machines of today are more efficient and flexible than ever before, easier to use and supplied with an industry leading 5 years parts and a full 2 years on-site labour warranty.

Since July 2010, the Waterside brand has been owned by BWT, Europe’s number one water technology group, and is supported across Europe by a team of sales and service professionals on hand to offer advice and support in choosing, installing and servicing the whole range of BWT water softeners.

With Waterside water softeners typically lasting over ten years, BWT are still pleased to support the MC250 in the field with a full range of service options. I hope you can appreciate that no range of domestic appliances can be perfect all of the time, and would advise anybody that has experienced a problem with one of our products to contact our customer service team on 01376 334200 and can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm and are able to offer free advice or arrange for a home service visit if necessary.

Customer service is important to us and if at the end of any call or service visit, customers who feel less than satisfied with the service received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues.

Read 1 Comment

“When we moved into our house it contained a Permutit...”

Written on: 17/01/2010

When we moved into our house it contained a Permutit water softener which work faultlessly, with no maintenance, for 15 years. On average the Waterside MC250E requires an expensive visit from an engineer every two years. When working it is satisfactory… Read Full Review

Read 1 Comment

“Have had an MC250 for several years without a problem....”

Written on: 06/01/2010 by tell Sid (1 review written)

Have had an MC250 for several years without a problem. It started playing up recently so I read a previuos review about repairs so contacted a company called Wrekin Water Softeners. They provided me with a replacement head that upgraded my machine to a current model and at a reasonable price. They gave me full instructions and a link to a video and I changed the head myself. It was so easy and Wrekin's technical knowledge and advice was first class. Highly recommended and my salt usage is… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to tell Sid's Review

Dear tell Sid,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say thank you. I would just like to make you aware that because of our continuous improvement in product development, the MC250 has been superseded and now our Waterside range of water softeners come complete with a 5 year parts and 2 year labour. However, in most cases, we are still able to provide a comprehensive service facility for these older units at favourable prices. If you own one of these models that require attention, please call our service team on 01376 344200 and explain the situation. Our dedicated team can offer you free advice or arrange for a home service visit. At the end of a call, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Read 1 Comment

“Leaks maybe once a year, each time with one heck of a...”

Written on: 05/01/2010

Leaks maybe once a year, each time with one heck of a mess, repeated o-ring replacement required at off-the-scale rip off prices… Read Full Review

Read 1 Comment

“We have had a Waterside MC250 water softener for about...”

Written on: 20/11/2009 by Greypete (1 review written)

We have had a Waterside MC250 water softener for about 11 years. Because of its restricted location it is difficult to access, load and service. Notwithstanding, it has proved to be an effective, reliable and durable unit, adquately serving the needs of a large and busy household, but when I replace it (with the next Waterside model), the new unit will be installed outside (in its own bunker), to avoid any potential flooding events, as described in other reviews… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to Greypete's Review

Dear Greypete,

As the manufacturer of your MC250, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for sharing your experience. If you are thinking of upgrading, I would just like to make you aware that since July 2010, our current Waterside range of water softeners come complete with a 5 year parts and 2 year labour warranty. If you require any questions being answered, technical advice or servicing needs about your current machine or any potential upgrades, please call our customer service team on 01376 334200 who will be more than happy to talk you through your options.

Read 1 Comment

“All the negative comments in this section are entirely...”

Written on: 08/10/2009

All the negative comments in this section are entirely in keeping with my own experiences of this product. Just in case anyone has missed the point, it is RUBBISH! I personally would never buy another Culligan product. I have recently bought a new Harvey Block Salt softener which, although it is a bit pricey, seems to work like a dream without any of the apparently fragile electronics and shoddy construction of the Culligan… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

If you wish to add any further comments, please do not hesitate to contact either the customer service team on 01376 334200, or myself personally at [email protected]

Yours Sincrerely,