Shearings Holidays Reviews

• Food

• Facilities

• Location

Shearings Holidays - Ask a question now

“Disastrous St Ives Weekend”

Written on: 25/07/2022 by ovWest114 (1 review written)

Everything was completely sub-standard and we were so glad to get home. We will never ever use this company again.

“Shearings coach tours valkenburg July 2022”

Written on: 24/07/2022 by Alsypal (1 review written)

This was a budget holiday and it was certainly huge et service. Convoluted and torturous system of uk feeder coach pick up before collation at Folkestone before onward despatch to Europe. This makes for a long and arduous trip if you live north of. The M25. Cramped coach we had no window as such was claustrophobic and like being transported in a G4S prison transport truck. Coach staff on the main tour were uninterested gave little information and were just doing a driving job rather than providing a holiday/tour experience. Our hotel at resort was budget which throws up problems - no air conditioning in 38 degs heat Customer base is mainly OAP as are we but some clearly need to get out more. A bad 3xoerince of Brits abroad nearly drove us mad. Budget holiday poor service poor logistics system for people perhaps they should try transporting cattle Everything done 9n the cheap

“The worst evening meal food ever served in a hotel.”

Written on: 22/11/2021 by rosewarne22 (1 review written)

Hotel was clean. Staff friendly. Room was spacious /warm [Nov 2021]The evening meal was ,frankly,disgusting. 3 nights stay. Friday was chicken breast which was tough as boots and extremely dry.[Wifes choice.] Obviously from the previous day left over and re heated.I ordered baked cod. It arrived swimming in melted butter! The veg was overcooked and mush.Mange tout was brown. Decided to try next night but leave if same. It was better. The duck was well overdone as was the vegetables. Duck in a thick brown sauce. Every one was moaning. The guys friend opposite went out to eat. Again chicken 3rd night. It was edible. Everything overcooked. Sloppy veg. We eat out a lot. This was by far the worst eating experience I have ever had in any hotel. The person heating the food is obviously incompetent. Plates were going back with little eaten. If this had been a truckstop then the drivers would lynch them. I ordered lemon sponge and received treacle. My wife the fruit cocktail. The waiter brought lemon cake and told her their was no fruit!!! What is going on here. Not a manager on site in 4 days. 1 receptionist. 2 waiters. THATS IT. Our 4th and last visit. Never again. Thanks Shearings. Stayed 3 nights self drive.

“Fantastic trip to Waverley castle hotel scotland”

Written on: 12/02/2020 by vzLopez66 (1 review written)

Had a wonderful well organised trip from Banbury oxford shire to Waverley castle hotel in Melrose Scotland ,seemless transfer plenty of info even came and called us from Resurant .Was my first time on a coach trip , I was dreading the journey and distance but was very comfy and we had comfort stops on way to stretch our legs . Our driver stood out nothing was too much trouble he was a mine of info about everything also a few jokes to pass the time ,he even helped me deceiver my Grand fathers birth certificate from 1898 in his own time above and beyond would travel with this man again he was brilliant , The trips were perfect plenty of time to roam and discover ,loved every minute , entertainment was good too got up and danced and even tried to master gay Gordon’s dance lol can’t wait to do another trip but will have to see where Mr info driver is covering , thank you Sherrings totally recommend ,also everyone was very helpful and friendly

“Saturday night entertaiment”

Written on: 08/02/2020 by Gutierrezxl412 (1 review written)

Friday night entertainment was good. Saturday however was abysmal, disorganised and unacceptable. The vocalist actually performed for 45 mins, leaving the audience bewildered and waiting for more. The bar staff appeared to be in a hurry to leave,collecting glasses and unable to provide even a bag of crisps after 10.20 pm.The reception level bar was closed by 10.20,leaving us no option but to retire to our room. We had anticipated a far more entertaining weekend than was provided.All in all a very disappointing end to what could have been a great weekend break.

“Bad company ”

Written on: 27/01/2020 by gnDugan378 (1 review written)

Lost 400 pounds as refused a refund. Partner has cancer but manager replys we dont want to refund it. Disgusting company report to abta DONT USE. NEVER ANSWER PHONES. Bad company AVOID AVOID

“ Christmas in the Austrian Lake District at Hotel...”

Written on: 27/12/2019 by Garden_of_England (1 review written)

I usually try to find some positives in any holiday but I have struggled to find anything to commend this trip. The journey through the tunnel to the overnight stop in Cologne was tedious and might have been improved if the drivers had given us some information on our route but all we got was a very poor short DVD on a couple of the places with nothing of much interest. The new onboard media with WIFI was so slow, with errors when trying to login and was virtually unusable. This continued for the whole of the tour. The arrival at the Best Western in Cologne was met with no atmosphere, no Christmas spirit, no bar and no snacks available. This at 10:15 in the evening with no information on any local places to get something to eat or drink. (Hotel report on Tripadvisor). The very early shambles of a breakfast was OK. Another long tedious day with no music or entertainment followed to arrive at our second hotel in Austria for our festive Christmas break. The first information given to us was "don't come to us if there is any problem with your rooms we are not plumbers or electricians - deal with the hotel direct" - Nice and helpful! The hotel was basic with little Christmas atmosphere (report on Tripadvisor). The organised trips were seriously hampered by the bad weather and although some of us would have preferred to miss the stop in Bad Ischl we were forced to spend 2 hours in freezing pouring rain in a small shopping town. It would have been better to return to the hotel get warm and visit the pretty local town and beautiful Church but no the itinerary is inflexible! So much so we decided not to go on the next day trip so we could see the sites of the local town before everything closed up for the holidays. The journey back to the UK via the 4* hotel in Liege was equally boring and another disappointing stop (Review on Tripadvisor). Although not an expensive tour it would pay to increase the price and use a better hotel with better food for the main stop. I have travelled with Ledger, Newmarket and Crusader on Christmas trips to Germany and Austria but this offering from Shearings was by far the worst. It was our first and most likely last if the standard of this tour was anything to go by.

“5day newquay holiday nov4th-8th 2019”

Written on: 15/11/2019 by Mooney290 (1 review written)

Beresford hotel great.Food very good.Rooms good.All the staff are excellent a credit to the hotel.trips were good.Only downside to holiday was the driver not a very pleasant chap think he needs customer service training.We enjoyed the holiday very much thank you shearing.

“Appalling treatment of a disabled lady passenger”

Written on: 24/06/2019 by suzydoll68 (1 review written)

This was our first holiday with Shearings. After discussing the needs of our group with the assistance team at Shearings we chose to go to Morecambe. No travel issues getting to the interchange at Normanton. The driver kept us informed along the way. He explained clearly what would happen when we arrived at our hotel. The hotel itself is slowly being updated but for a 3* it was ok. All the staff we're amazing. Any request was granted without any issue. The food was plain and simple. Good choices and was always fresh and hot. We we're told the excursions we're escorted and suitable for people with mobility problems The first on Tues we we're dropped in a one street village with extremely uneven and narrow pavements and a steep hill into the carpark. DEFINITELY NOT DISABLED FRIENDLY. After almost 2 hours we were taken to aother village, famous for cheese making. The coach dropped us the opposite end of the village. The driver told us roughly where the cheese factory was. Unfortunately by the time we had managed to climb up to the main village, we barely had time for lunch then had to return to the coach. No time to walk to the cheese factory, so we missed that experience. Very disappointing. On the Weds our driver offered us an additional excurtion, which was a nice half a day bonus. On the Thurs we were really looking forward to going on the steam train featuring the UK's longest tunnel and oldest surviving viaduct still in use, while travelling 72 miles through the amazing scenery. We we're informed that we would not be travelling by steam train but by a normal desiel train. The driver didn't know why. Before leaving the coach the driver told us we had seats reserved on the front 2 carriages and a volunteer would be with us to explain the trip. We we're not accompanied by anyone from then. There was several disabled people in the group, I had to go to the ticket office to find someone to escort us over the train tracks. Once we joined the rest of our group, the railway man informed us that there was only 2 carriages running. We had reserved seats but the majority of people already sat in them refused to move. Consquently I had to stand in the entry area of the train for the whole 1 1/2 hr journey. I am a disabled lady that needs to use a stick!Shearings said it was a steam journey with escort. It is just a normal timetabled passenger train. We weren't given any information about the journey. In Shearings brouchre it does state that it may not always be possible to use the steam train.  IN THE TICKET OFFICE AT THE STATION THERE IS A NOTICE ON THE WALL SAYING ONLY TIME THE STEAM TRAIN RUNS IS WHEN IT HAS BEEN CHARTERED PRIVATELY. On Fri we set off to retrace our steps home. First stop the interchange, where accordingly to Shearings we can purchase food and drinks. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS ISN'T ALWAYS TRUE. When we arrived at 1550 there wasn't any sandwiches or cooked food available, when I asked if they could do anymore I was told no. After a short wait we were told our coach was ready for boarding. We joined the rest of our group. My husband wheeled my Dad to the steps,helped him up on to the first step then turned his wheelchair slightly towards the driver stood near the luggage hold. The driver made no move towards the wheelchair, but called my husband back and told him to fold it up and lift it into the space. He finished guiding my dad onto the coach then did as asked. The driver got on the coach and we set off. He didn't take any names, or introduce himself. At the first drop off point he shouted for a couple but there was no one of that name there. He got off to make a phone call. We went to the next few stops then made our way to our drop off point. As we approached the service area, I heard a couple of passengers asking the driver if he was sure he was going to the right side. He assured them that he knew what he was doing. He pulled up and we began to get off. My husband and I were the last of our group of 6 to get off. My parents had managed to get off and they we're waiting for the wheelchaiir and bags. My mum saw me coming down the coach steps and warned me the last step was very high, I knew I would have a problem getting off. I asked for the coach to be lowered but was told it wouldn't go any lower and he didn't have a step to help me. I had no other choice but to try to lower myself down onto the steps of the coach then shuffle down the steps,until my legs were dangling over the edge and letting myself drop. I was extremely embarrassed and upset by this. During this I have hurt my knee,arm side. Again a gentleman with us insisted he was on the wrong side. The driver walked away for several minutes, when he returned to us he told us to get back on the coach because we were in the wrong place. My husband and mum got my Dad back on. The driver got back into his seat and sat smirking as my husband literally had to manhandle me up the step as I tried to pull myself up. Hurting myself again. Again he said there wasn't any step to help. By this time I was very upset. This is no way to treat a disabled person. I politely asked the driver for his name but he refused to tell me. I told him I was hurt and felt very humiliated and that his attitude was awful. He shouted at me and said he didn't care and he felt threaten by me and if I didnt shut up and sit down he was going to get me off the coach and leave me behind. As my husband helped me back to a seat, I couldn't stop myself from bursting into tears. My Dad was very upset about the whole experience and told the driver to stop it,and to get us to the right place. The driver kept coming back at him. My Dad told him if he was a younger fitter man he would put him in his place. The driver responded by saying come on then I'll soon have you. My Dad was very red and breathless, my mum stood up very distressed pleading with driver to stop it. She told him that my Dad has a heart condition and that he has got terminal cancer. The driver said SO WHAT. I DONT CARE. Absolutely disgusted

“Brilliant well worth the money”

Written on: 31/05/2019 by Batchelor58 (1 review written)

Ive been on many shearings holidays home and abroad they are amazing so good last oct myself and a friend went on the Newcastle and Durham 5 day holiday coach driver was brilliant the excursions hotel food drink and especially the coach driver was second to none. He made the coach journey go fast and very interesting. We stopped off at the sheldon train museum on the way home and went to york for 3 hours before going to the interchange for the journey back home. We did so much in those 5 days. Definitely recommend and will be looking forward to be going with shearings again in the near future. The shearings staff portage and hotel staff amazing. Im booking another holiday soon with them Thank you worth the price of the holiday cant wait to travel with you again

“Amazing holiday again”

Written on: 13/05/2019 by Nikki2014 (1 review written)

Just returned from Croatia with shearings. Once again a fantastic holiday the drivers were amazing explaining everything clearly nothing is too much trouble for them. The trips arranged were great and help to make the holiday more enjoyable as you get to see more of the country you’re visiting. The hotel was lovely food and service great all round. We will definitely be returning.

“Broadway Park Hotel IOW”

Written on: 07/05/2019 by CaptF (1 review written)

Booked a Shearings Holiday at the Broadway Park Hotel IOW and paid £56 for an upgrade of room. On finding our room which was at the lowest point of the annex. It did not match the description of the web site. The bathroom needed attention as there was more sealant and rust around the taps. Asked at reception for another room to be told non available and our room was an upgrade. The upgrade was a bigger tv and access to an out side area which was in the woods and completely shaded and open to the public. The following morning there was no heating at all on that floor. Again asked reception who said they would get it fixed. This did not happen and on day two had to ask for a radiator for the room as we could not dry any towels due to lack of a heated towel rail and being in the shade had no sun. I would advise anyone not to ask for an upgrade as a waste of money The upside of the trip was the standard and service of food could not be faulted and the day trips worth while.

“Portion control gone too far”

Written on: 23/04/2019 by Scarygodmother (1 review written)

Unsatisfactory at best. As a regular and previously loyal customer I deplore this drop in standards of the evening meals in particular and feel Shearings is in danger of antagonising it's customers. The staff are helpful and polite. Breakfast is fine if a little understaffed. Unfortunately the evening meals are poor. Glutinous powdered soup, overcooked vegetables in tiny portions. Reminded me of school dinners. I asked for the 'succulent' ahem! pork without gravy and plain boiled potatoes. Almost 30% of the meat was fat. Once removed I was left with a piece of meat smaller than my fork! I have to give hours of notice at reception for 'special requests'. Methinks Shearings may be in danger of taking portion control a little too far.

“Paignton - Weekend Break”

Written on: 19/03/2019 by Sheraingsholiday (1 review written)

Just returned from a long weekend break in Paignton. Cannot fault the coach driver he was excellent. Do have to complain about the length of time it took us to get to and from the resort 10 hours on a coach is not a lot of fun. Would not recommend the hotel in the resort either Esplanade in Paignton leaves a lot to be desired. The evening meals provided would struggle to feed a small child let alone an adult. Soup was cold and when I complained I was told the chef said it should be served at room temperature. Portions were small and servings took a long time. Rooms are very tired and need a lot of work to bring them up to some sort of decent standard. The shower and bathroom are both dirty and small. Rooms are equally as small. Appreciate you only sleep in them but you do need to be able to work around the bed. Would not recommend.

“Great value for money”

Written on: 16/09/2018 by EdDover (1 review written)

My wife and I have today returned from the Shearings Heart Of Germany tour (9th-16th Sept). The journey to and from was comfortable. We stayed overnight at the Best Western in Holland. A good 4 star accommodation. The sad part was that we arrived too late to purchase an evening meal, but knowing you are on a coach trip, you cover those eventualities and take snacks. Following our journey to the destination we arrived in Goslar, a stunning little town. We dined in a pub/restaurant which was great food then arrived at our hotel - the Care Residenz in Hahnenklee. It is situated about 1km from the town. The hotel looked very sad from the outside, slightly tired inside but very clean. The food during the week was good, albeit not a great amount of choice, but when you are paying 3 star you are going to get what you paid for. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside, there was no information available in English about the area. On the free day, we went up the chairlift and experienced the toboggan ride....fantastic. The optional tour was to Hannover. Strongly suggest go to the town hall, go to the roof top viewing area and obtain a walking guide for the city. The hotel swimming pool was clean and surprisingly, not busy! The tours that were included in the trip were excellent and adequate time to explore. Ignore the bad reviews, this is a great trip value for money, remembering, you are not paying 5 star money for this so don't expect 5 star accommodation! Finally, thanks to our driver, did a great job.

“Paris holiday”

Written on: 16/09/2018 by tywyncouple (1 review written)

this holiday was great, the hotel in itself was lovely but there was no choice on the menu there wasn't even a menu, we had no idea what was going to served to us in the evening we just sat in the restaurant and waited to see what was put in front of us, on the Tuesday evening we had a steak topped with a sauce, the meat was so tough and in some cases very rare, 85% of the coach party could not eat it. the room was very nice apart from the paper cups we had to make our tea or coffee in, surely china cups cant be a problem in France. would only stay here again if we had a choice on the menu and the menu was displayed in the morning.

“Evening meals let the Hotel down”

Written on: 20/07/2018

We had a great holiday in Bergerac Bordeaux & Dordogne, very well organized holiday. We had an excellent driver with good knowledge of the areas around France. The Hotel was nice but let down by the evening meal they were brought in from an outside catering company not good hardly any choice would have been better to have eaten out. Breakfast was excellent continental style. The staff were very helpful and friendly Hotel very clean. THE EVEING MEALS NEED TO BE SORTED OUT SHEARINGS!!!

“Travel time”

Written on: 28/03/2018

Length. Of time it took to get there disgusting. 11 hrs to scotland an have to be up 5 30 for return. Journey

“A small piece of heaven. ”

Written on: 26/03/2018

My husband and I arrived back from the hotel Ascherwirtin Brandenburg Austria at the beginning of March,it was another lovely holiday with Shearing. The hotel was lovely with views to die for, every thing covered in snow but with blue skies and the sun shining. Hotel staff were very friendly even taking us on a candle lit walk after dinner one evening followed by glu wine.The trip on the Wendelstien railway was wonderful with the most amazing views, would love to do this again. The trips to the three villages was lovely but one of the villages had their rest day so there was not much to see or do, I felt the drivers should have known this as it was time wasted and we could have gone straight on to the third village which was buzzing. So now we come to the drivers! I can only say having been many times with Shearings I was disappointed, they didn't even seem as if they liked one another! The driving was excellent but they had very little knowledge of the areas we visited and the one driver spent a lot of the time at the rear of the bus with his wife and a friend who were also on the holiday. There was no banter from them and if asked anything it was usually 'I don't know'. We met some wonderful people on the trip who truly made the holiday, Austria is a beautiful place and I would definitely love to go again.

“loved it next time going to st ives”

Written on: 02/03/2018 by AriMartin (1 review written)

just back from 5 days in torquay first day en-route a little bit misso but just say hi and and every body joins in.our coach driver was the best just ask him and he will tell you what you want to know. the hotel was ok and the staff where just fab,just wait until you meet the waiting on staff in the dining room,the bar staff are great but they need to go to specksavers because there good looking and mine are very different,ha ha but I would recommend this hotel the tor park to all

Wendilinn's Comment

Written on: 23/03/2018

Hi we've been to the Bay View hotel twice. Worth paying extra for the sea view rooms they have an amazing view. We liked the hotel. If you are travelling from Yorkshire you might have the driver we had who was a brilliant driver, very smooth ride. Don't forget your earphones though so you can listen to your radio, his constant chatter drove us to distraction. Going to Isle of Wight this year. Enjoy St Ives.

Read 1 Comment