Silver Ski www.silverski.co.uk

Silver Ski www.silverski.co.uk - Ask a question now

“Another Excellent Silver Ski Holiday”

written by DeeGeeCee on 22/01/2017

Just returned from a week in Chalet Primrose at Plagne Soleil and it was excellent. Accommodation was above what we expected as were the chalet staff; the food this year being absolutely superb and exactly suited to a hard days skiing - well done! Having skied with Silver Ski on and off since the mid-Nineties (mostly on), this was one of the best trips. Thanks again.

“Poor company, poor chalets - avoid Silver Ski”

written by Roskers on 19/01/2017

January 2017: Silver Ski Chalet Bonne Neige in La Plagne Village. Resort managers are absent and are actually running a chalet, so can't properly serve guests. We stayed in Chalet Belle Neige in Plagne Villages and Silver Ski have operated this for a couple of years. It's basic to say the least, cramped and poorly decorated. Silver Ski cram in 8 guests in a chalet that might suit 4 if it was nicely maintained. There's a lack of basic amenities such as cupboards. We had to share a small bedside table. Beds are a foot or so apart and you have to climb over these to get to any hooks. The ski boot room with a rusting shelf can fit two people in at a time, so don't expect it to be easy to ski as a group. Despite being sold as a chalet for eight, there aren't enough seats for eight in the lounge. There are few plugs for charging phones. The steps outside are unlit, steep and narrow, making it difficult to haul luggage - possibly dangerous particularly at night. The stairs in the chalet are also narrow and can only take one person at a time. Our room was described as having a balcony but it is only just big enough to stand on. Everything is poor quality and little better than a youth hostel. Silver Ski said it is typical of the Alps, and described the chalet as cosy. It's awful and Silver Ski give the impression that they just don't care. I raised issues with them on the Monday of our stay and it took until Thursday for anyone to turn up. So really poor value for money - best avoid this company.

“Just return and wish we hadn't prebooked another week”

written by on 15/02/2014

Just return, I can't say much as we have already booked another week in March but we are both dreading our next holiday. My husband wants to cancel the holiday and book with another company. Throughout the week I kept telling my husband that we are staying in a different chalet next time but we were talking with 3 other couples at the airport and they all had similar experiences if not worse! Pro's for silver ski 1. You get to resort early, so you can ski Sunday afternoon 2. The week does end Con's Bad food ( mainly due to the low food allowance per person) Poor booking experience Poor chalet staff with little or no training (confirmed by the staff themselves) No ski hosting No visiting resort manager to speak with Tired chalets with no tv or internet Pillows on the bed must be 15 years old ( don't look for stains) I slept without a pillow after looking. And many many more!

“Really poor service”

written by on 03/01/2014

Just returned from la plagne, snow was great but the service from booking to our return was truly terrible. The food was poor and the chalet staff didn't care, when I asked questions to the chalet staff the answer was always no and they just kept quoting Hazel. They weren't happy with the company so that was reflected in their service to us. Don't book early because there's always cheap last minute deals!

“chalet jolie les allues”

written by on 15/10/2013

My wife and me plus 2 others stayed there in March great sized rooms! actually just outside meribel but don't let this deter you because the resort ski bus picked you up and dropped you of right outside the chalet anyway ,silver ski ran a minibus as well! On the first day because the flight was at such an unholy hour we arrived at the resort early enough to get half a day's skiing at no extra cost if certain lifts were used( the chalet staff told about this) So half a day's skiing for free! The web photographs don't do the chalet justice our room on the top floor had a sauna outside it and on the balcony on the ground floor was hotube with views over the valley, so the daily routine after skiing was sauna shower then downstairs pick up chilled beer and hot tub . The chalet staff I thought were very helpful ,other guests at the chalet thought otherwise ,meals I thought were very good,we had a nice curry night other guests, who had travelled with silver ski previously remarked that the bean counters had been at work. (draw your own conclusions) I can only say that I would recommend the chalet/ resort and am looking forward to returning in 2014 season!!!!

“Was once a first class company but not now”

written by jameskent1964 on 05/09/2013

I have travelled with Silver Ski 15+ times but the company has slowly gone downhill but very rapidly in the last 3 seasons. I have had some bad experiences in the last 3 years and thought i may have had a run of bad luck but I have recently tried to book another holiday giving them another chance. I now know why the company is going downhill, the booking staff couldn’t have been any less helpful and it seemed they just waited to get me off the phone as quickly as possible. If this is how there permanent staffs behave then that is why there are so many problems in the French resorts. The little things that made silver ski unique have gone and staff seems to be pushed in the deep end, with no or little training. They don’t seem to know anything about the resort, the company and how to run let alone cook in a chalet. I have noticed that some key members of the company are not around anyone more and that must be a key factor. We used to have the same chalet staff year after year but it seems to be new staff every year now. This must be due to the lack of resort managers as I haven’t seen one for 3 years now. Don’t expect much if you book but the late deals are cheap because there no regular customers they have gone elsewhere.

“Low budget but not reflected in the price. Dont BOOK...”

written by smithytheskibum on 28/02/2013

We recently returned from La plagne and I have never experienced anything like this before, we have traveled with Silver Ski on and off for about 8 years. They did have some great managers in the past but over the last 3 to 4 years things have gone down hill. But after experience this year I will openly say that WE WILL NEVER BOOK AGAIN. The food was ok but the staff and management in La Plagne were terible. 1 member of staff who seemed to be related to the owners was always druck and I think even got arrested during a stay for Drink Driving. The director lives out there but she is the most hideous person i think i have ever met. Could explain 10 to 20 issues from broken furniture to being woken in the night by staff and family of the owners.

“Wasn't the best..but wasn't the worst either. ”

written by Arvis on 12/04/2011

Wasn't the best..but wasn't the worst either.
The attitude of the personnel was nice, but not better the average. Other components were good too, but i was expecting more from that that trip, than i got.

“we have just returned from a week in La Plagne - we...”

written by on 29/03/2011

we have just returned from a week in La Plagne - we stayed in the Chalet Saffron and had an excellent time. The host's Pops and Frenchy were excellent hosts we ate like kings. They couldnt do enough for you. The challet was well looked after and kept very tidy at all times. The company was brilliant, Pops and Frenchy entertained us with stories and games. Pops certainly knows his way round the resort slopes as the social ski-ing was the best, it would have taken us all week to find our way around and Pops explained the best slopes to stay on in line with the conditions. I would certainly recommend it.

“Don't bother trying to complain about anything to...”

written by on 11/05/2010

Don't bother trying to complain about anything to Silverski - they really don't care about their clients.

“Just got back from a week at Bonne Neige in Val...”

written by Julia Phillips on 22/02/2010

Just got back from a week at Bonne Neige in Val D'Isere and had a fabulous time. Alan and Louise were lovely, nothing too much trouble. Alan very knowledgeable about the slopes and a very patient social ski guide. Chalet basic, small communal area and rather uncomfortable lounge seating but in such a fabulous location it didn't seem to matter. Couldn't ask for better hosts and would love to go back and see them again next year.

“Stayed in Meribel. Booked through Maidstone office and...”

written by on 20/10/2009

Stayed in Meribel. Booked through Maidstone office and made it clear we had a son who was crawling. When we got to the chalet, the staff showed us to a room which was small and the shower and cleaning facilities were pathetic. The stairs upstairs were lethal especially with a baby. What we should have done was demand a move to a safer chalet-especially as I was told the chalet was suitable for babies! The staff were ok, but generally couldnt give a ....... We were told that we could stay on the sunday till after lunch by the resort manager. When we woke up, we were told by the cleaner to clear of by 10am!
Generally low quality and low budget chalets which is great if your on a budget

“For £300 notes I stayed in the Silver Ski Chalet...”

written by on 14/04/2009

For £300 notes I stayed in the Silver Ski Chalet Jesmin and it was great, the attitude of the staff was superb and the food was the order of the day. Our hosts were very experienced and nothing was too much trouble although we were there last ever guests.

“Stayed in a Silver Ski chalet in La Plagne. Very...”

written by on 10/04/2009

Stayed in a Silver Ski chalet in La Plagne. Very hospitable staff, good food, great location. Couldn't have asked for more, especially for the price given. Would definitely recommend to anyone!

“Stayed in Silver Ski Telekie. Had excellent hosts. ...”

written by JLLOYD on 28/03/2009

Stayed in Silver Ski Telekie. Had excellent hosts. The food was extremely good and the chalet very comfortable apart from the beds which were basic and a bit hard. Close to Merol chair lift and to bus stop so convenient position in village. Chalet large, bright and nicely decorated.

“The chalet was very cosy and homely and the young...”

written by ulele22 on 19/02/2009

The chalet was very cosy and homely and the young couple that ran the chalet were friendly, helpful and informed. We were with silver skis sister company, Amazing ski in chalet Amazing 1 and despite the 'no frills' explanation we were thrilled. The chalet had great views and the meals served were simple but delicious. Very hearty and plenty for seconds. We had the best food and best holiday with silver ski yet! Thank you!

“The overall silver ski experience was very much that...”

written by odge on 12/02/2009

The overall silver ski experience was very much that of a budget company, despite the price being comparable to other companies that provide better food and service.

We did not have a rep. The food was mediocre at best, water jugs didn't get refilled at dinner at all, the hot breakfast that was supposed to be offered every day wasn't, and at the end of the week we were told to strip the sheets off our own beds. When we did this we discovered a pair of boxer shorts belonging to a previous occupant of the room!!

“We stayed in Silver Ski's sister company Amazing Ski,...”

written by nelvi on 04/02/2009

We stayed in Silver Ski's sister company Amazing Ski, the young couple that ran the chalet overslept twice, so the guests got their own breakfast. We constantly ran out of stuff and when we asked the staff whether we can get more, we were told 'The shopping arrives just once a week and we often don't get everything we ask for!!!!'

The chalet was generally dirty and the food was more like school dinners, with things like lasagne and cottage pie being served. I must say this was not the fault of the staff as we were told it was a set menu given to them. They were just young with no experience of running a home. We didn't see any management all week so I guess that they had no rules or guidelines to follow.

When we booked the holiday it did say it was a 'no frills' holiday, with just 2 courses, cold breakfast and no afternoon tea but I did expect a clean chalet with a little more imagination on the food and to not run out of supplies. I won't be booking again.

442009_Ulele22's Response to nelvi's Review

Written on: 19/02/2009

I disagree with this review because...we stayed with Amazing ski and the chalet although old was cosy and tidy. The young couple were lovely, chatty and very helpful, even helping my little girl make a snowman! they made our holiday brilliant!

“We as a group (26 of us!!) Booked out Chalet Bon Coin...”

written by l s w on 23/01/2009

We as a group (26 of us!!) Booked out Chalet Bon Coin for New Year 2008/2009.

I can honestly say that it was one of our best years with silver ski!!
The food was excellent, top quality standard, the staff catered brilliantly for our six children that ate early, there was always plenty of food left on the table even after we'd got our mits into it!

La Plagne is a great resort, we have stayed here many times and always come back, we will definately be staying in the Bon Coin again next year.

the staff organised a new years eve party and a talent show on our last night for us, everyone got involved and we all had a wonderful time. They even sung a few songs for us!!
The kids really enjoyed themselves and told the odd joke or two!

I would highly recommend silverski and chalet Bon Coin to anyone looking for a cosy, friendly holiday with traditional food and a homely feel.

“Chalet Romeo. Great location: can ski to the door...”

written by on 18/01/2009

Chalet Romeo. Great location: can ski to the door literally ( I actually touched the door with my ski tips) and only about 50 metres from piste and only 30 metres yards form the local bar. Good value for money. Sauna & jacuzzi. This year they have a professional chef so food much better than usual for this company. Young friendly helpful staff. Sunday flights so quick transfers and you get an extra half day's skiing if you are up to it when you arrive at lunchtime. I usually find the ski companion pace a bit too slow for me but the ski companions mixed up the chalets so they offered a fast group and a more leisurely group so everyone got to ski with others of similar ability if they were prepared to ski with people from adjacent chalets rater than stick to their own. Have skied with Silver Ski several times and always enjoyed it. Food and lounge areas can vary a lot but have always been adequate. I don't expect gourmet cooking with this company but good basic cooking of the sort I serve up at home so this year I was amazed at the quality of the cooking for the price. SS prices are excellent value for money. Have skied with other chalet companies in this price range and had far worse food, tiny poky rooms and barely enough showers. In the end you go for the skiing and their chalets are excellently located and most rooms are ensuite and if the shower room is small at least you don't have to share or walk to another floor. Hey guys, if you want chalet luxury you can pay two or three times what SS charge, You can pay a bit more and get a lot worse.