Virgin Media Reviews

• Reception

• Reliability

• Extra Features

Summary

Virgin Media is now the new name for NTL. If you want to review your NTL home phone service experiences after 8th Feb 2007, here is the place to do so.

Virgin Media - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Virgin Media

Virgin Media
Virgin Media

“Worst Company Ever!!”

Written on: 12/02/2022 by njw1 (1 review written)

2 failed installation dates over 8 weeks, leaving me without any broadband for 3 of those after having stupidly cancelled my old provider thinking that Virgin were going to be better!! Their Customer service lines are atrocious, cutting me off mid call 3 times while trying to sort out this mess.Each time having to go through the mind numbing password and security routine only to be cut off again and again. I have never suffered such a stressful time with a company in my life as I have with Virgin, truly awful time. I have given 1 star on each section above and below, but they really do not deserve any stars at all.

“Talk to the BOT, coz the humans aren't listening!”

Written on: 23/09/2021 by Archerwr401 (1 review written)

I had arranged to transfer Virgin Media TV, Broadband & Phone services owing to a house move and I was due to switch to a cheaper package at the same time (basically, I can get a more comprehensive package for £31/mth less than I'm currently paying, but they never saw the point in telling me). An engineer visit had been booked at the new property but the move fell through at the last minute, so I contacted Virgin to cancel the engineer’s visit and hopefully switch to the new package at my old address... There ensued ONE & THREE QUARTER HOURS of chaos and comedy by the end of which I had still made no progress whatsoever towards either of my modest goals (that's no exaggeration - I was still literally at step one. Read on!). At that point the "customer relations" centre abruptly closed for the day, with me still in the middle of a WhatsApp chat! By huge coincidence, I watched Joe Lycett's Got Your Back (light-hearted consumer show) later that same evening and it featured a lengthy segment about Virgin Media and their exorbitant cancellation fees (£240 was the amount repeatedly quoted on the show). So, if you find yourself moving home and you're with Virgin Media, you're going to have to go through the same moving process I attempted to go through below, or you might find yourself having to fork out 240 quid. Hopefully, that's got your attention! I have transcripts of most of my fruitless and repetitive conversations with Virgin Media. The full saga runs to something like 17 pages. I'll spare you that here (although I do intend to upload it one day - or submit it as a short story to a publisher of dystopian fiction). Instead I'll give you a taste of some of the highlights. In the period between 16:15hrs and 18:04hrs on 21 September, I was cut-off by Virgin Media on TWO separate occasions: once by a human phone operator (who didn't bother trying to call me back) and once by a WhatsApp chat bot. It’s actually hard to decide which one infuriated me more - probably being ignored by a machine. During that time I communicated with THREE different humans (the phone operator, a guy called P and a lady called E), at least THREE different bots (Mo Movers, Tony Triage and Whatson), plus an array of Info bots and automated messages along the way. Whilst I was being passed from human pillar to robotic post, I must have been asked to re-confirm my first name at least 5 times - there's nothing like starting again from scratch to make a customer feel special! (The added irony is that I was conducting the webchat via my online account, so I'm not sure why they needed me to give them my name in the first place!) I was passed between at least FOUR different teams (Movers, Pre Install, Customer Relations & Cable Retention) & this all took place across no fewer than THREE platforms (phone, web chat, social media app). None of these entities, human or otherwise, managed to advance my query one little bit. After the best part of two hours on Tuesday afternoon, I was no closer to resolving my problem. One of the last messages I received, timed at 17:59, read "As briefly as you can, let me know what your query with the team is today". That is literally step one. My motivation in all this was one of common courtesy; avoiding taking up an engineer’s time slot that could be used by another customer, avoiding a wasted trip for an engineer. And I mustered up the energy to do this amid the stress and heartache of my home sale falling through only a matter of hours earlier. The final act was a human (E) passing me over to yet another bot at 17:50hrs – that is just 10 short minutes before the Customer Relations team was due to close - a fact which E must have been aware of, but which I was not because the team I had first contacted were open until much later in the evening. The bot then took a further six minutes to introduce itself with an automated message (How is that even possible? It should be instantaneous, no?) leaving a window of just four minutes to resolve my issue. The computer then suggested we transfer our conversation to WhatsApp (Why? What’s the difference?) despite knowing there were only seconds remaining before that platform shut down for the evening. The icing on the cake is the introductory WhatsApp message from the Customer Relations team, timed at exactly 18:00hrs, which begins chirpily: “Hello you're through to the Customer Relations messaging team. Our opening times are Monday - Friday 8am until 6pm... We have your query and a member of our dedicated team will be with you as soon as possible...”. I still have this priceless message saved to my phone if you’d like to see. The Customer Relations bot genuinely initiated a conversation with me at exactly 6pm, before proceeding to completely ignore me and shutting down for the evening. Incidentally, I had always imagined one of the primary benefits of outsourcing customer services to a machine was that it wouldn’t feel the need to clock off in time for happy hour. My final, tortured, message reads: “This is crazy. It's literally 6pm when you sent this message. Why was I transferred here by the previous person if you are about to close?” followed only by a despairing “Hello?” that still echoes in the silent ether of cyber space. I never received an answer. * This summary does no justice to the full, Kafka-esque absurdity of my experience bouncing around Virgin Media's quagmire of bureaucracy. Customer service? Not so much. * EPILOGUE Update: I did eventually receive an answer to my tortured WhatsApp cry of Tuesday evening. At 08:08hrs the following morning (14 short hours later) I received a WhatsApp from human being #4 of this epic saga. 'V' started her message cheerily: "Hi there, you're through to [V], thanks so much for your patience, I really appreciate it." Really? Is that it?! One and three quarter wasted hours followed by a further 14 hour wait and we just breeze ahead as though nothing has happened? No hint of an apology, just a barely perceptible nod of gratitude for my "patience". Oh well, hopefully she'll at least have read the history of the chat up until this point and familiarised herself with my situation so that I don't have to repeat myself once again... Just in case, I sent back a message, somehow managing to outline my frustration and plight in just six short sentences. And here is the next reply I get from Virgin Media via WhatsApp:- Terri Triage BOT (Yes! I've been passed over to yet another machine!): "Alright [thumbs up emoji] I'll need some info to make sure you get to the right team first..." Terri Triage BOT: "CAN I TAKE YOUR FIRST NAME PLEASE?" !!! Me: "Aaaaaaaagh!" Terri Triage BOT: "Cheers Aaaaaaaagh! Please select a focus area: 1. Broadband, TV & landline, 2. Mobile... etcetera" And there you have it. I am now offially a step BACKWARDS from where I started out the previous day. When I first contacted Virgin Media, they ALREADY KNEW I wanted to talk about my broadband because of the menu selections I made before initiating the 'conversation'. This story is 100% genuine - including one of my favourite bot quotes of all time: "Cheers Aaaaaaaagh!" - and I have the transcripts to prove it.

“Utterly incompetent ”

Written on: 01/09/2021 by 183Gregory (1 review written)

I have started a contract very short time and literally virgin media get everything wrong. I have cancel the contract and this was hard work, trying to speak to customer service almost impossible and when you speak to them they don’t listen to you. I manage to cancel to contract within 14 days and even after a month cancellation, virgin media still sending me emails and phone calls which is ridiculous. Just to friendly advice, save yourself a headache and don’t use this useless, utterly incompetent company.

“Dreadful company and people”

Written on: 13/07/2021 by wilko50 (35 reviews written)

Disgusting company with incompetent customer service staff. My mum left them giving a months notice and paying to end of that month. They keep sending her bills and harassing her. When you try to speak to someone they pass you over to a queue or cut you off. I think they are trying to make us pay for Branson`s rocket fuel, hopefully he will get stuck in space. Hideous experience and I will never uses their products again. Also you will find the customer service department are trained to avoid people and questions.

“Hiked my fixed-price plan price. Didn't even contact...”

Written on: 22/03/2021 by pppaul (11 reviews written)

Hiked my fixed-price plan price. Didn't even contact me about it.

“'UK's Worst' - Ofcom”

Written on: 14/12/2019

According to Ofcom "Virgin Media generated the joint highest level of complaints" this was also reported in 'Which' magazine. The company doesn't even have 'customer service' email address for complaints. Consequently the Daily Telegraph has recommended emailing the CEO Mr Lutz Schüler. This I did and ten days later still no complaint resolution and I am without phone coverage. It says something about the ethos of the company that not even the CEO cares if complaints are resolved. You can google all the Ofcom, Which magazine, and Daily Telegraph references in this review and if you're still foolhardy enough to give this company your money, then you can hardly complain when it turns out to be a terrible wasteful investment.

“The worst of the worst !”

Written on: 16/11/2018 by wilko50 (35 reviews written)

God I hate this company they are revolting. They and the staff they employ is customer services are utterly useless. They kept us on hold for 20 mins and we had to give up, the person that spoke to us did this on purpose because we were complaining about the terrible service this shower give the public. Virgin Media should learn that customers are important and without them they would have nothing.

“Virgin Media is the best broadband provider ever,...”

Written on: 28/08/2018 by Kingwo300 (1 review written)

I was sold on the VM sales pitch but now realise its just a load of bull. Being the only major cable provider they have a monopoly and their attitude is "take it or leave it." The broadband reliability and bandwidth in RG5 is pathetic and appalling. I originally had vivid 50 before VM upgraded me to Vivid 100 but rarely got more than 20mbps and that's when it worked. Very temperamental and only worked when it felt like. I've moved back to a copper wire provider last week on a basic fibre deal and have suffered no issues whatsoever and can stream movies uninterrupted for the first time in 12 months. I'm only getting up to 36mbps but connection is stable and adequate for my circumstances. Trying to speak to VM customer service to cancel my contract is another saga and yet to be resolved. Virgin Media?? Virgin Mafia, more like..!!!

“SHOCKING CUSTOMER SERVICE AFTER DAMAGING MY DRIVE”

Written on: 22/05/2018 by frankmabb007 (2 reviews written)

Virgin Media recently carried out cable laying works in my street, during which they damaged my drive. After numerous emails and several telephone calls to their Executive Team, I was referred to the "Defence Team" as I was claiming financial compensation for criminal damage and am not a Virgin Media customer (thank god). This team is supposed to include solicitors (all paid by the Virgin Group) who look at your case and make an informed decision (joke). They subsequently denied my claim (what a surprise) and included a photo of my drive which was supposed to have been taken by the contractors on completion of the works. However, I was able to prove that it was a picture taken nine years ago and had been doctored as "proof" that suitable repair works had been carried out. When I challenged them on several points, they refused to respond and suggested that I go down the legal route. This is an awful company with incompetent employees and directors who could not care less.

“Keep an eye on your bill !”

Written on: 21/11/2017 by ericka666 (1 review written)

Be very careful with your bill. They just hit me with a price increase not priorly informed of. I have just a broadband package which states a set price for 12 months with an installation fee. There was a general price increase on November 1st which I did not receive confirmation of nor is it in my contract that my introductory plan was subject to any increase. Low and behold, my latest bill goes up by £2.99 a month. Their online chat service is never available, there is no availability of the previous contact with customers online nor could I find any such confirmation of an increase. I called Virgin media today - the lady talked over me, told me a confirmation had been sent but she could not provide that email confirmation to me and then told me to stop being rude. I have lost my voice, so was unable to raise my voice in any way; I was explaining my situation when she just cut me off saying 'I'm going to just put through to THE TEAM'. I was already on hold by the time I got through to what was actually the retention team. I spoke to the person I dealt with there, who rectified the problem and gave me a credit of the £2.99 per month until my contract expires; so all worked out in the end - I assume a glitch in the system that means even us 'new favoured' customers get stung and they cash in on those who don't notice or check that they shouldn't get an increase. With this in mind, what they're doing here is illegal. A notice must be given of any increase and it must be stated in the T&Cs that price increases are allowed on introductory offers, neither of which happened here. Had I have not checked my bill regularly and noticed this discrepancy, contacted them myself and specified my knowledge of the law, I would have just been charged more - who knows how much more I would have been charged going forward. This company has the monopoly in my area, I was with a previous provider when I moved here and couldn't get more than 1MB download speed so I do not have a choice but to go with VM. This makes it very difficult to be a consumer and action my right to pay to be with a fair and trusted company. If you have a problem with your bill, don't call the normal number, they won't help you. The retention team can be called.

“Dont change your provider to Virgin just yet !!!! READ...”

Written on: 06/11/2017

I recently moved from Virgin Media to BT ,as the pricing for my virgin broadband and phone only, hit the £50 mark, my package was for the 100MB speed and guess what I never got a speed above 51Mb, even after I called Virgin about this and they came with the usual rubbish that it depended on how many people were on online at the time, this in fact is not true as I did a speed test through different times of the day and it was always the same ,This I'm told is due to their web traffic management which they have in place ,something BT does not have .And don't get me started on the fact that I just paid £52 to Virgin for the last month for a service which should of been cancelled as soon as BT made the arrangement for it to be so ,Virgins excuse was that BT only informed them the cancellation was just for the phone line only, a lot of rubbish as I was charged even more than my previous bills . I decided to go with BT and now have the infinity 2 package with 8OMb, phone line and basic tv for under £45 ,I was assured by BT I would always have a minimum speed of 61Mb,true to their word , my speed has never been under 72Mb it is much faster and signal reaches all over the house as opposed to Virgins so called "brilliant" router. I ve Been with BT for a month now and am completely satisfied with their service so far. I understand many people go with virgin due to the speeds on offer especially with their recent 300Mb for a ridiculous monthly payment, BUT before you decide on virgin , hold out for the new HYPEROPTIC that's being rolled out 1GB on offer for £40 a month ,they are a new company so will take time for it to be completely available to everyone . Virgin is the thing of the past. its time for another company to put them in their place . This is the first time I have ever written a review ,but I felt taken in for the last 18 months and then being charged a final bill of £52 was the final straw,i can honestly say hand on heart that I will NEVER return to Virgin and also have a couple of friends who will be moving to other broadband providers. HYPEROPTIC is the way forward ,because as soon as its in my area I will most certainly be getting them ,but for now BT is just perfect . I hope this helps in your decision !

“Steer clear”

Written on: 16/10/2017 by pcjb (6 reviews written)

I have been a customer of Virgin Media for many years I could not complain about the service they provide it is unbeatable. However !When they cannot supply your new home following a move they will want a cancellation fee ! I was advised by them that they would have to cancel, as they did not supply a service in my new home area. I was then advised I had to pay a cancellation fee for a service they could not provide ! I was shocked as it was their live chat agent who cancelled my services not me then they have a cheek to charge over £100. I was then offered a reduced fee of £50 but due to fact I did not cancel it was them that cancelled my contract I felt this was unjust. Following numerous calls and live chat I'm still no further forward. I have written to Customer Concern twice and they have not replied. They are in breach of their code of practice in relation to responding to my letter, furthermore they have not resolved the issue. I cancelled my TV service when the contract had expired and just kept the phone and broadband, Nobody told me I had taken out a new 12 month contract ! I did not agree to a contract for phone & Broadband. Despite my calls chat and letters they are still ignoring my complaint. I even gave them 28 days to arrange for service to be installed in my new home, they did not reply to this request. I feel they have broken the contract by refusing to connect me to their services ! I phoned on 15th October and was passed from pillar to post the person I ended up speaking to did not seem interested, I requested a call back from customer concern team she said ok then hung up on me !!! I am now waiting for a call back but not holding my breath, I will take this all the way as I feel they are ripping me off I cannot complain about the services they provide albeit at an extortionate cost but you get what you pay for. Check every little bit of any contract they ask you to agree to. My advice is to steer clear.

“A Complete Shambles”

Written on: 28/09/2017 by Crusader65 (4 reviews written)

Virgin are a shambles Virgin are a shambles. They consistently deliberately get our billing wrong. No one appears to understand their own billing either. You can never talk to a manager - They'll have to call you back. Presumably so that you'll know you'll be un-prepared. But don't worry, they'll not bother anyway. I received 1 call back from a manager out of 5 expected manager call backs within the last 5 months. Then he rang later than the time slot allocated & you can't make or take any calls when you are waiting for theirs. After 10 minutes of him sounding utterly bored, he told me he was finished for the day. They have refunded me some money but not all of it. They wanted to credit it to my account but it would take more than 7 months to use it. However, they are putting their prices up in November by another £4 a month so I will probably be leaving them. They finally, and reluctantly (because they don't do it - their words) agreed to send out a cheque. They couldn't just transfer into the account they took it from because they do not have a process to do this. They then informed me that I should receive that within 40, yes 40 days. I'm still waiting for a manager to ring back since 8 AM yesterday morning. I have been on the phone & on hold for over 5 1/4 hours within the last week. one day was just under 3 hours alone. They also say that you do not get any level of compensation for your time spent chasing them. They are getting paid so should be chasing the customer. This is just tactics to make you avoid ringing them. The install wasn't great either. They did it over 2 dates with 11 days inbetween. They did this badly, & left a short cable running across my garden as a trip hazard, & exposed wires hanging out of my wall. It is no wonder we've had interuptions with our service. This was back in May. They just came back to sort it in September 22nd. They should be ashamed, but they are not. They do not care. Shambles is about as polite as I can be. Avoid them. There TV packages are not as good as Sky either. When I was with Sky I had any problems solved quickly. Sky are slightly more expensive, but I always ended up paying what had been agreed, unlike with Virgin Media. Your money is important to them, but you as a customer are not treated as such. I will be cancelling.

“Wrong information and inconsistent information on...”

Written on: 18/09/2017 by Danaa173 (1 review written)

I signed up to one of the TV packages and was reassured that the price quoted was fixed for 1 year . After the 6th month my bill went up by 50%! Called up and was told that I would have been informed that there was a promotion that was only for 6 months hence the price change. Reviewed my package to bring the price down and again was told price would remain the same for remaining 6 months of contract. In that 6 month period a 'minor price increase' was applied. At the end of the the contract I tried to cancel & was told I had another 6 months on the contract as when I down graded I 'entered' into a new 12 month contract. I was NOT told this at the time. Finally cancelled TV & have only broadband and what was told a fixed price for another 12months and then today a letter telling me £3.99 price increase from 1st November! I feel like they are not consistent and do not give accurate information. I will be moving my broadband elsewhere.

“Shocking Public Relations”

Written on: 10/09/2017 by 123dhills (33 reviews written)

On the 31/05/2017 Virgin Media carried out work near my property. I found out the company from my local Highways department,(anyone doing work on the highway must get permission first).After doing the work they left cement up my step and door that was left to dry. I complained to the CEO and Richard Branson on a number of occasions, nothing happened. I also was in contact with Virgin Media executive team but after trying a number of times and no result I contacted CAB and Trading Standards. This route took me to CISAS, Ofcom and Communications Ombudsman. These organisations were of no use because I was not a customer of Virgin Media. This was when my local Trading Standards told me to try social media, from this I contacted RawDeal Sunday Post. The same day two canvassers from Virgin Media called and took photographs, why they took photographs I don't know because I had already sent the CEO, pictures of my door from the start. I wanted to preserve the incident so I put up with the build up of dirt for four months in my door area, whoever came out for Virgin Media to clear the mess made a gesture. The next day I went out and did a proper job. The only consolation to this debacle is that I am NOT a Virgin Media customer. Richard Branson needs to make sure that public services are well on earth before he deals with space.

Frankmabb007's Response to 123dhills's Review

Written on: 22/05/2018

I had a similar experience when Virgin Media damaged the granite edging of my drive. They then removed the broken pieces and replaced the granite with cement without my knowledge or permission. I went down the same route as you, only to be messed around with stupid and meaningless emails. The only action left is to expose this company for what they are and tell all of your friends and relatives to avoid them like the plague.

Read 1 Comment

“Customer Service??”

Written on: 25/08/2017 by WayneConley411 (1 review written)

A great yardstick on how companies function or react is to read their feedback and their response or sometimes their lack of response. So, the Executive Team for Virgin Media haven’t reacted, it’s not their fault, is it? There’s just too many feedback complaints to cope with answering. I expect they’re very proud of their feedback score of 1 out of 10 though? They’ve got your money, the android dealing with you from the call centre has read down his list and everything is wonderful for them – What’s a little white lie about an early leaving penalty or a bit of abuse and harassment to put you off leaving? They can speak to their manager and get you a loyalty bonus discount!! This would be the same manager who has disappeared when you want to speak to them. I had been with Virgin Media since 2011. I telephoned Customers Retention and explained that I wished to cancel my complete package giving the required 30 days’ notice. I was unhappy with continuously receiving unexplained package price increases and was switching to another provider. The call centre ‘gentleman’ became offensive, unpleasantly raising his voice attempting to use ‘coercion’ and scare tactics to persuade me to stay with Virgin. That I would have to pay £240 as an early exit penalty – Allegedly, I was under a new contract having previously telephoned to complain about a price increase and changing my package to reduce costs. I was extremely disappointed and offended with the way I was treated, especially with a grudging monthly reduction offer of a £5 loyalty bonus to stay (the carrot) – Excellent when the same package for new customers was £15 cheaper a month!! I wrote a cancellation and complaint letter to PO Box 333 in Swansea. What a waste of time – Customer Services Director? The only response were letters containing fabrications of the truth and final bill demands by emails and letter. After 8 weeks of having been lied to and being told in a terse letter that Virgin Media were dismissing my complaint – I opened a case with CISAS who found in my favour; awarding costs, a written apology and compensation. So, congratulations to you Virgin Media - From a simple and easily rectified situation you have now lost the confidence of my family and friends, their family and their friends and family. Those that were with you will now be looking to cancel due to your lack of principle and customer care. Virgin Media? Nah, Adulterated Media perhaps?

“Treat customers like dirt - only interested in your money.”

Written on: 24/08/2017 by Schofield16 (1 review written)

TV, broadband and phone are all average, no major problems but nothing special. Customer service is abysmal. They aren't interested in keeping customers by providing a good service and maintaining good customer relations, they are only interested in taking your money. Be very wary about 'special offers', even if you have been a loyal customer, the only time that they will offer special deals is to trap you into a new contract (which they won't make sure that you are aware of when they offer you the 'deal').

“Customer service”

Written on: 11/07/2017 by Joshn342 (1 review written)

Having had the same TiVo box for six years, never asked for upgrades or anything else that comes in the way of offers you'd think I would be classed as a valued customer, but my TiVo box has stopped working so contacted virgin who after some lengthy negotiations agreed to send another TiVo box but I would have to install it myself and phone virgin to have them turn it on, not only did the box not turn up on the said day (the following morning) nobody phoned to say it wouldn't be coming as the chap I spoke to in India I suspect going off his grasp or lack of English, when I phoned to ask why I was informed that the chap I spoke to was wrong and it would take 2-3 days. So that's one day work lost now I have to lose more time off work to wait for somebody that might not even turn up I'm appalled by the treatment I received from virgin and will be taking my custom elsewhere.

“You have not received the worst erver service ...We have!”

Written on: 11/07/2017 by 1983Shields (1 review written)

All of the previous reasons for poor reviews for Virgin apply but include harassment when no service provided at all in our case. Intended to move from BT for an apparent better deal via Virgin dated fixed for changeover reminder the day prior that the change is all arranged. On the day told Virgin could not provide service because of technical reasons! BT meanwhile cut off our Broadband lost for over a week trying to resolve! Attitude of Virgin simply deplorable still getting payment demand 5 months later!

“Worst Customer Service EVER!”

Written on: 02/07/2017 by Kaim421 (1 review written)

We have been with Virgin Media for 1 year. For the money we paid the package was rubbish. The channels we received except 1 or 2 off them could all be accessed through My View. Internet slow. We have just rang to give notice to end our contact, 35 minutes later after a very stressful phone call it is now being cancelled. Very pushy sale staff who do not listen to their customers. Avoid Virgin at all cost!