Carrera Kraken Reviews

Carrera Kraken - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Carrera Kraken

“Would not recommend ”

written by Benn231 on 04/01/2024

I brought this bike two months ago from Halfords and this is what I have found with it. The front suspension is terrible on this bike, from day one it felt very rigid on the front end and the forks keep getting stuck down and not returning to full travel. So whenever doing trails the handling is awful because of this. The head bearings also seized up after the first time I washed the bike. The gear changes are very stiff and when returning to the inside ring on the front the chain always hooks up and gets stuck. I have had a few Carrera bikes and this is the worst mechanically by far.

“2013 Kraken”

written by 376Boyd on 08/07/2014

I have owned my 2013 Kraken for 9 months... cost £350 via a friend who works at halfords, have ridden all the local trails with no problems and must say i am well pleased with the bike, would have liked to see a quick release for the saddle post as standard, going to upgrade a few parts over the next few months, would i recommend the Kraken ???? if you want to use it to commute and wish to off road just now and again then yes go get one.... if you will be off roading more than road use then no.. put a few more quid to it and buy something with better off road spec.

“value for money”

written by on 21/05/2013

Have had my kraken for 12 months.in that period i have given it a hard time ,out twice a week 22 miles each time over rough terrain.it has not skipped a beat only problem i have encountered loose crank and a puncturr.superb mschine.

“Great bike for the money”

written by on 06/02/2013

From what I've read, the 2012 Carrera Kraken is a big improvement on previous models. After reading an online review saying that this is the best bike they tested under £500, I paid a bit under £400 (after discounts) and I am really pleased. I've only had the bike a few weeks but I've used it for commuting as well as in the woods. I really can't fault it for the money paid. It is as light as can be expected, the hydraulic disk brakes work fine and the front suspension seems good. If I was a downhill racer I would obviously be buying something else but in this price range it is hard to fault it.

“carrera kraken spares”

written by on 21/09/2011

i have a carrera hard tail mountain bike (27 speed) i have a problem with the rear wheel the rachet on the cassette slips, i went into halfords to get the new part and was told they dont do spares and i would have to by a replacement wheel this did not match the existing wheel, i am pleased with the bike this is the first problem i have had i cant understand why they dont sell spares for there bikes. .

“they lost my sale ”

written by aidanjeeez on 26/08/2011

I got dragged into the fact it has good spec and have been doing research into it , but now ive read all these reviews practically all say how the bike isnt worth the money. So is it the bike or how halfords dont assemble them properly? Because im looking into the Carrera vengeance 2011 now and just wondering if halfords will bodge it up , thanks

Guest's Response to aidanjeeez's Review

Written on: 18/09/2011

probably, I've got an '11 vengeance which is a great bike and great value but basically had to get a bike expert mate to PDI it again, they were dreadful at Halfords as they don't train staf properly. Happy with the bike for the money, i just wish they would sell from other outlets !!

“i had 7 punctures in 3 months with this bike until i...”

written by on 17/02/2011

i had 7 punctures in 3 months with this bike until i changed the tyres and reset rim tape. the crank now needs replacing. carrera kraken just under 2 years old. the bike is great pity about the faults. if you have a problem and your bike is not fit for purpose. do what i did and took a very large sports shop to court through small claims. cost me about 30 quid. they backed out before the date and a full refund plus costs was provided.
FIGHT THE POWER

Guest's Comment

Written on: 03/07/2011

In all fairness towards the Kraken most bike makes put appalling inner tubes on the bike as you can't see them, next time you buy a bike replace the inner tubing and if needed the tires and it wont be as bad. But i respect you for the court situations!

“I have had my Carrera kraken now for 3 days and I have...”

written by jofruit on 28/01/2011

I have had my Carrera kraken now for 3 days and I have already had a puncture due to the poor placement of the rim tape. Halfords were not very helpful to me at all when I went to buy the bike and I sincerely wish that I had read some of these reviews before going there. After reading these reviews I feel it's just a matter of time before something else goes wrong. Great! How's ya luck?

“crank has ceased to be is pushing up the daisies....”

written by on 08/01/2011

crank has ceased to be is pushing up the daisies. within days of me getting it, so as it has drawn the final curtain, kicked the bucket in short it is a bit poo.... do NOT be silly go play with your phallus instead (hopefully)its more fun and wont break. honda c 90 FTW !!!!!!

“Had the carerra kraken (black)(18") about 2 years...”

written by on 26/12/2010

Had the carerra kraken (black)(18") about 2 years now,ive changed peddles and handle bar locking nut but this replacement was all my fault,never use high pressure hose to clean bike.other than that,ive used bike mainly off road single track and jumps included,as a budget bike its the best i think.the gears started to jump about 1 year into riding, had that sorted by local shop not halfords.i do not rate halfords service at all,though 1 older mech was clued up.love the gear range,will never go single speed!front sus is great too.its yet to be seen if frame holds out.im about 80 kg in weight and so far frame is good ie no cracks etc.ive done summer and winter riding in forest.to sum up,if your on a budget then the carrera offers alot of bike.everyone else i ride with have got 2k bikes etc but im well happy.:-)

Ridgeback24's Comment

Written on: 07/08/2012

Halfords service???????, I took my Carrera Kraken in for it`s free first service,and i asked them if they could look at the gears and set them again.When i got the bike home,the gears were a `joke`,the gears that were fine before going were much worse and the ones that were fine,were playing up,i took it back and said i wasnt going to pay for this service as the first free one had not solved the problem,second time round,the same happened again,with all respect to the people who clean halfords after closing,are they the ones setting the gears on these bikes.(in the past i have been a cleaner)I`ve now come on the net to find out how to set the gears myself,surely i can`t do much worse than the Mechs at halfords

“Having gone to Halfords to look for a bike for my...”

written by on 27/09/2010

Having gone to Halfords to look for a bike for my Birthday, I have been appalled at the staff in Halfords, considering spending, £379.00 etc, I asked if I could ride the bike outside as most serious bike buyers are recommended to do this, how can you tell how it rides round a shop! Asked the staff, they said fine, but then could not be bothered to put the bolts on the bike, if its on display should it not be ready to try!! In an attempt to not give up, I went to a different branch, they said that no it could not be ridden outside at all and were still unhelpful, so sorry Halfords you have lost a sale! I have now been to my local bike shop where I received first class service and was able to try the bike outside on the road!

Jofruit's Comment

Written on: 28/01/2011

I found this review not helpful because...the person has said anything about the carrera kraken - not one word.

“Hi, I got the 09 Kraken after much research on the...”

written by on 13/08/2010

Hi, I got the 09 Kraken after much research on the spec and thought it the best value, especially when using the bike to work scheme my work have at Halfords. Unfortunately I've had my fair share of issues over the past 16 months. I ride the bike as a commute and on trails and Glentress so it's taken a bit of abuse. The original set up was really poor despite returning it a couple of times, but I suppose that could happen anywhere? I've had ongoing issues with the front gears, again could be a duff Scram part that Iv'e now had changed. The Suntour forks are rubbish. From the very start they've functioned poorly, rusted quickly and finally they've completely seized. I've replaced them for Tora's now so fingers crossed.
I can't afford to replace the bike as I'm getting a road bike but I expect the thing will keep causing me greif in the meantime. Still I suppose I should have just spent another couple of hunderd quid in the first place and not had to replace the entry level components that all break!!!

“I went to Halfords because my GT Agressor I bought...”

written by GinaBeena on 06/08/2010

I went to Halfords because my GT Agressor I bought four years ago has finally died on me. Spoke to a guy there who was an ex BMX Pro and clearly knew his stuff. We talked about what I needed and what I was happy to spend and I wanted to go for the GT Agressor X2 for GBP 499. He convinced me that the Carrera Kraken suited my predominantly stree-orientated riding better and that for 429 I would have the same quality spec as on the 499 GT but with a slightly stiffer tail in the frame which would mean that I would lose less energy when pumping hard on the road. Sounded like it made sense.

When I picked the bike up nothing felt right. The handle bar was not aligned and despite trying 3 times to get it straight, it always ended up pointing one way or the other. The front gear changing arm constanty over-threw and made the chain fall off when I changed onto the biggest gear. The front disk break was dragging big style. The rear gears did not connect well, when I clicked one up, the arm in the back would go two up and then one down. Hardly the 'clicky' SRAM he sold me..

Long story short, I took the bike back and told him I wanted to return it. The guy was really annoyed with me but swapped it for the GT and all was good. Love my new bike, worth every penny of the extra 70 quid. It could be a bit lighter but that would have cost another 500 pounds for the top of the range one.

Good points were a springy fork and an overall pretty light-weight set-up. I also thought the handle was too wide - no good for city riding where you wiggle between cars a lot! Hope this helps!

“Just had the second crank snap one year after the...”

written by on 28/07/2010

Just had the second crank snap one year after the first, am I the only one having this problem? When I took it back to Halfords the manager said "I have never seen this happen before". My reply was "Yes you have, I spoke to you when I brought the last one back 11 months ago".

Guest's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2011

I had this happen twice on my 2009 version, the manager said the same thing to me. It was only when I threatened to sue them (as I'd slipped off when the second snapped) that they upgraded it for free to a full crank.

“brilliant bike excellent spec for the money ”

written by on 19/06/2010

brilliant bike excellent spec for the money
thrashed mine to the limit and it can handle anything
halfords are a bit hit and miss----im hallfords staff myself but on parts----but i know which one of the lads im gonna allow to touch my bike
dont complain its a given that there will be bad staff anywhere but you save money at halfords and get great value
if you are sceptical about us learn how to build your own its not rocket science
we are the nations largest cycle retailer selling 1million bikes a year there is guarenteed to be horror stories
as for the bike----good spec----(sram gears have really improved!)
brakes are really keen----if anything too hard
forks are suntour and not the best brand however they have a speed lock = very handy = change it on the move
plus the 120mm travel is more than enough----good spec good price----look after it and it will last

“Have been searching for a mountain bike for quite a...”

written by ebbyamber on 02/06/2010

Have been searching for a mountain bike for quite a while. Looked at many reviews in magazines and on the internet. Even though Halfords gets such negative comments decided to give them the chance to prove all this wrong. Collected my Carrera Kraken this morning. Finished work early so decided to go out for a ride. Straight away found I could only get the centre gears (3rd 4th 5th) and the chain was grinding very badly on the front derailleur. Less than 100 yards covered and the crank c/w front gears, pedals etc fell off. Pulled the front brake on and felt a vicious "clunk" from the front end of the bike.
So £430 paid for a bike which didn't even reach the end of the road I live in before falling apart, and which has something seriously loose on the front end.
Bargain!!!!!!

Ginabeena's Response to ebbyamber's Review

Written on: 06/08/2010

I found this review helpful because... it was not much different from what I experienced!

Guest's Response to ebbyamber's Review

Written on: 07/07/2011

Thanks. I'm not getting this bike from Halfords then. Did a lot of research and it's a pity since it looked like it's loaded with decent componennts for the price. Will go to one of the small, local bike shops, where I won't be one of the thousands people coming thru that day and hopefully will get my bike properly set up.

“The carrera kraken is a good bike just to bad halfords...”

written by on 29/05/2010

The carrera kraken is a good bike just to bad halfords dose them becouse they do not know what they are doing so take it to a bike shop

“It is an incredible bike, I recomend it to anyone who...”

written by on 04/05/2010

It is an incredible bike, I recomend it to anyone who wants a mountain bike for trecks and jumps never got a bike quite like it. The suspension is insane and the hydrolic disk brakes are so affective. The gears are great and it never brakes.

Best Bike ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Cool bruv you just delt with the dawg.........”

written by on 09/04/2010

Cool bruv you just delt with the dawg.........

“exelent bike good price to i do a lot of down hill...”

written by on 18/11/2009

exelent bike good price to i do a lot of down hill biking and is a bit bumpy
beacuase its hard tail but exellent bike very happy for price

Asked by dsve on 18th September 2014 Report this content
How do I replace rear wheel bearings?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Asked by Raybarnes on 24th August 2014 Report this content
I'm looking for a Kraken XC rear hanger. Where can I find one?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site