Banana Leaf Buffet Restaurant, Middlesbrough Reviews

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Banana Leaf Buffet Restaurant, Middlesbrough - Ask a question now

“Banana leaf is an all you can eat buffet which...”

Written on: 02/04/2015 by Hurst448 (1 review written)

Banana leaf is an all you can eat buffet which provides great food and most of all great service. I have eaten here many times and each time I have been served in by the kindest and most well mannered waiters/waitresses ever. Any need I have ever had, they have met without any trouble. The food is wonderful, as a vegetarian, I find it extremely helpful that they label each dish in description of what it is and all dietary needs and warnings. The only negative things I would be able to say is… Read Full Review

“very middle of the road - feels like you are eating in...”

Written on: 26/11/2010 by EmmaWi1985 (1 review written)

very middle of the road - feels like you are eating in a school canteen!… Read Full Review

“Banana Leaf Buffet in Middlesborough is in a strategic...”

Written on: 08/05/2008 by stevb (1 review written)

Banana Leaf Buffet in Middlesborough is in a strategic location, i.e right in the centre of Middlesborugh town, easy access via train and buses. Wide varieties of chinese and english dishes, valued for money as it served from starters right up to desserts but in a buffet style, eat as much as you can.
Fantastic food, fabulous service! Lovely food, warm and friendly stafff/service, value for money! A must to try if you never been!… Read Full Review

“Simple settings, but spacious, clean and well...”

Written on: 08/05/2008 by stevb (1 review written)

Simple settings, but spacious, clean and well maintained, i would say.
Delicious food and fantastic service, definitely worth giving a try if u never been… Read Full Review

“The Banana Leaf buffet restaurant has been converted...”

Written on: 21/12/2006 by Anonymous101 (1 review written)

The Banana Leaf buffet restaurant has been converted from the old Primitive Methodist Sunday School at the top of Linthorpe Road in the heart of Middlesbrough. It has been open for something like 4 or 5 years now. The Restaurant is usually busy, so it has done very well in establishing itself in the local area, and it enjoys a good reputation. For a one-off payment you can really fill your boots here, especially if you're feeling a little malnourished. I often go into these types of… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/01/2007

I find that the best way to attack a 'Chinese all you can eat buffet' is to get appropriately dressed - smart shirt, smart suit (or coat), with preferably a tie. Therefore you are more conservative with your approach to the buffet spread, and are forever conscious of spilling sweet and sour duck all over ones self. I also find that to keep the consumption down and not over indulging ones self in meat - a few pints of beer beforehand also does the trick. I recall drinking several pints in a pub round the corner and entering the Chinese buffet not feeling hungry in the slightest - although I filled my plate with everything, I ate perhaps only 4 plain chicken wings and half a plate of chips.

Flyguy's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 01/03/2014

it’s fantastic to witness that trade within ‘Banana Leaf’ is seemingly as strong as ever despite the obvious financial woes that have hit this sector of the economy hard in recent times.
I was compelled to drop this review a quick commentary regarding my own recent visit, as a result of which I had the opportunity to deploy my ‘tactical strategy’ acquired in part from earlier comments made right here on this review page!
With a hasty 3 pints of Fosters proficiently put away, I decide moved my strategy to the next phase, I ordered 2 bottles of Desperados, again capably dispatched in quick time. The bravado boost from this course of action provided the environment which meant I swaggered into ‘Banana Leaf’ emitting an aura of ‘meaning business’
My preparation work done and the early exchanges going to plan, I decided to crank things up by moving to what I call ‘buffCOM3’, with a bottle of ‘Tiger’ in my grasp, I began my inventive scheme of consuming a traditional meal of three courses, ‘WHAT!!…….’ I hear you gasp, sharp intake of breath!
Now here’s the twist, I have entered the Banana Leaf with ‘crosshair’s’ set firmly upon the sweet trolley, plate in hand I soon came within reach of my ‘starter’ which encompassed mandarin segments, pear halves and fruit cocktail, not sure if this counts towards your ‘five a day’ but it was a light opening nevertheless even if the syrup/juice was not sitting well with my bottle of ‘Tiger’ and preceding beverages.
Main Course was covered by ‘hot off the press’ banana fritter with a modest side of vanilla ice-cream, at this juncture I began to notice inquisitive looks and the odd raised eyebrow! My resolve and steely doggedness intact I proceeded to make inroads into my mountainous fritter ensemble with an approach of cavalier haughtiness
I became aware of the fritter section being refreshed as my opening plateful of ‘Main Dessert’s’ was coming to a successful conclusion, imagine my delight when I happened to stumble across ‘Pineapple Fritter’ which was affably welcomed to the bounty gathered on my secondary visit regarding ‘Main Course’ .
It was at this point that I noticed ribs being nudged and when I ‘caught a stir’ the protagonist would break to pretend viewing a poster or wall mounted information leaflet.
Tertiary course incorporated a wondrous concoction of both Chocolate Cup and Sponge Cakes together with a delightful first-rate Gateau and in spite of the occasional quizzical gaze, I consider several of the ‘Banana Leaf’ patrons that evening bought into what I endeavouring to accomplish. The staff had allowed me the good grace of going about my business without intrusion, a ‘the customer is always right’ approach for want of a catchier phrase
‘Success’ for my visit was to be gauged by the application of a very simple formula, for consumption to be greater than outlay, incurring costs of £8.90 for my ‘Grand Buffet’ visit, the assumed ‘cake walk’ to victory if you’ll pardon the pun was looking a little premature as the effects of my alcohol intake began to dissipate.
I initiated retrospective data collection instantaneously regarding the likely consumption costs for ‘Banana Leaf’ against my expenditure and was galled to learn that the price of a full tin of ‘pear halves’s and other tinned fruit is just 70p, that a 5 pack of bananas is available from the Asda for just £1.00, when you begin factoring in my fatigued performance during the final ‘dessert course’ and the pricey nature of the ‘Tiger’ bottles I consumed, it’s probably fair to say the my strategy was a comprehensive failure. A proposal was put forwarded that I should have perhaps concentrated my efforts on bovine products, but on reflection I will take the positives from this experience, I hear Pizza Hut operate an unlimited lunch buffet weekdays until 3pm

Welsh Foodie's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 10/09/2007

I can't wait to do this in China China in Swansea. Sounds like a gut-busting laugh. I usually leave fat and full, and then half an hour later peckish, so I'll try your fat-fast diet of puddings and alcohol only.
<br/>
<br/>Great stuff guys.

Written on: 21/02/2007

Since I wrote the review about the Banana Leaf Buffet restaurant, I have found myself to be completely enticed with the deserts from Chinese 'Buffet' restaurants. This obsession of mine has suddenly become noticeable wherever I go. I walk in the restaurant and make every effort to look charmed by the food on display. Then after wetting ones whistle on a pint of cider, I go direct to the desert menu and fork all the chocolate gateaux into a huge heap on my plate to the disgust of the other diners. Why do people or waiting staff in general, get so frustrated with this mere self act of sinfulness. Gluttony is one of the deadly sins, but I am doing no different to what the other diners are doing - I'm just simply being more focused on my choice of food. I tried this once in a Chinese take away, however the guy simply ran out of Cornettos.

Flyguy's reply to Cult Fiction's Comment

Written on: 01/03/2014

With a hasty 3 pints of Fosters proficiently put away, I decide moved my strategy to the phase, I ordered 2 bottles of Desperados, again capably dispatched in quick time. The bravado boost from this course of action provided the environment which meant I swaggered into ‘Banana Leaf’ emitting an aura of ‘meaning business’
My preparation work done and the early exchanges going to plan, I decided to crank things up by moving to what I call ‘buffCOM3’, with a bottle of ‘Tiger’ in my grasp, I began my inventive scheme of consuming a traditional meal of three courses, ‘WHAT…….’ I hear you gasp, sharp intake of breath!
Now here’s the twist, I have entered the Banana Leaf with ‘crosshair’s’ set firmly upon the sweet trolley, plate in hand I soon came within reach of my ‘starter’ which encompassed mandarin segments, pear halves and fruit cocktail, not sure if this counts towards your five a day but it was a light opening nevertheless even if the syrup/juice was sitting well with my bottle of ‘Tiger’ and preceding beverages.
Main Course was covered by ‘hot of the press’ banana fritter with a modest side of vanilla ice-cream, at this juncture I began to notice inquisitive looks and the odd raised eyebrow! My resolve and steely doggedness intact I proceeded to make inroads into my mountainous fritter ensemble with an approach of cavalier haughtiness

252776_Anonymous101's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 18/01/2007

I did it, I did it, I went to the Banana Leaf on Wednesday evening. I ordered a bottle of beer from the bar and decided to only munch on desserts for the duration of my visit. As I was about to replenish my plate with another sizable helping of gateaux, a young gentlemen ushered me to one side and asked me "Sir, what on earth are you doing? Why don't you try some of our delicious main course options". I replied "no thanks pal, I'm enjoying satisfying my sweet tooth too much, but thanks anyway mate". Following a minor scuffle near the trifle, I was asked if I would give up my quest, settle my bill and leave. I was not happy. So much for their all you can eat policy.
<br>
<br>I will probably return to Banana Leaf in the future, but I think I will keep a lower profile. If they'll let you have it, I would really recommend two bowls of Mango pudding.

252776_Anonymous101's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 09/01/2007

I re-visited the Banana Leaf over the weekend, and adopted a slightly different strategy inorder to launch an "assault" on the Buffet, I took on several smaller filled plates containing much less choice of produce on each individual plate, I discovered I was able to more easily refresh my palette with lager and was able to continue to gorge myself like some greedy hog. In a amazing coincedence I indeed felt like I was circling the aromatic duck like some massive Peregrine Falcon. I was able to eat much more, having not broken my fast that morn so that is a great tip you have put forward mate, although unlike our distinguished fellow commenter on this topic, I have never been barred from the sweet trolley in any establishment as yet.

Lee2008's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 09/01/2007

When I visit such establishments as the Banana Leaf Restaurant, I have found the best way to get your moneys worth is to not have anything at all to eat the day of the visit, and launch an assault on the buffet when you arrive. I'm not saying load your plate up in one go. I would recommend you eat small amounts, lots of times. I find it helps to pretend that you're a bird of prey and you're getting food for yourself and for your chicks back in the nest. Another tip for value for money is do not fill yourself with chips, rice or noodles. Fill yourself with the more expensive meat dishes. Avoid prawn crackers, unless you feel you have achieved more than your moneys worth. That's what I do anyway mate, and it works for me.
<br/>
<br>P.S That aromatic duck is expensive, so eat plenty of that if you like it.

Written on: 06/01/2007

Just for information - I went to my local Chinese Buffet gaff the other night, just to observe what I would normally do in the place after a few pints. I was really shocked to notice that they had a desert section - normally I over indulge in the main dishes and completely ignore everything past the chicken wing trays. Anyway, to be a little different I filled my plate with every desert available and ate the entire lot. I then went back for seconds and filled my plate with just the custard tarts; again I ate the entire lot. When I went back for thirds the waiter positioned himself between myself and the Jamburry Cakes. He promptly said "Sir why don't you try one of the main dishes". I now get the impression that buffet restaurants are not capable of providing enough 'deserts' for the tenacious eater!

Read 9 Comments