Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V Reviews

Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V

“astra GTE 16v”

written by on 14/06/2013

i cant say anything bad about the GTE i got too much to say about it but i can tell you these cars are dangerous (in a good way haha) have a lot of fun good on fuel soo good i have 2 even in this day in age great drive outstanding engine id recommend 1 or 2 lol

“a great fast car that handles well for relatively...”

written by on 27/10/2009

a great fast car that handles well for relatively small amounts of money

“Great car. owned my for about 14 months. what a great...”

written by on 21/01/2009

Great car. owned my for about 14 months. what a great car mine was clean until other week some one tried to nick it, but before that what a smile i had on my face everyday when i was driving it loved it paid about a grand for mine, but it had been fully resored in 2004 got loads of pics thought the stages of it.

“I owned 2 of these, one F reg non cat in monaco blue...”

written by astra man on 27/09/2008

I owned 2 of these, one F reg non cat in monaco blue which I had for 4 years, and 2 years later I puchased a rare Champion leather addition which I owned for 2 and a half years. I sold it In 2000 for near enough the same money I bought it for (it was ten years old) I cried for the one and only time when selling a car.
I picked up a GTi-6 a few weeks later. I would love to find a good one now and use it for fun. What other hot hatch can get to 60mph in 7 seconds with 156bhp, the cat version I had still managed 7.8 the same as my current Seat Leon sport 185 (06).
which was the for runner to the FR (197bhp) The Seat Leon is a good car and has some similar characteristics but thats a different story.

“I've owned 8 Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v's including 2 rare...”

written by on 18/07/2008

I've owned 8 Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v's including 2 rare champion editions and while I have bought Fords, VWs and Peugeots I've always ended up coming back to another 16v. Rewarding to drive fast and they still turn heads 20 years on.

“Excellent car if you are lucky enough to find a good...”

written by on 03/07/2008

Excellent car if you are lucky enough to find a good one mine has 87000 miles, I've had the engine fully rebuilt by merc, all floor pan done and coted in wax oil, still has the original arches with no rust anywhere still has original sills, now that ' s the kind of one to find but I was looking for 12 months till I found this one. I brought it still with the original tyres and wheels. Not modified in any way. Although I ' ve now put a brand new set of 5 spoke alloys, and a full lowering kit, feels great now. Highly recommend this car if you ' re willing to pay the price to get a good one... A lot of people buy the ones at 400 pound and get 400 pound of scrap. Mine stands me at 1950 pound but well worth the spend.

“I love these cars, they are much better with a turbo...”

written by dan gte vxr on 30/06/2008

I love these cars, they are much better with a turbo or v6. The handling an the fact the only unnecessary thing on the car is heated mirrors.. but there good any way.

“I love this Vauxhall Astra I think it is one of the...”

written by on 25/04/2008

I love this Vauxhall Astra I think it is one of the best retro cars going and i just love them.

“Just bought my 4th Astra GTE 16v because I love them....”

written by ordy on 09/11/2007

Just bought my 4th Astra GTE 16v because I love them. Got a Calibra 16v red top last one made on a l reg. Great looking cars, but not as much fun as the GTE. Selling it because my lass says you cannot drive 2 cars at once, so bye Calibra, Hello GTE 16v!

“I have had my Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V for 4 years and I...”

written by spike16vgte on 31/03/2006

I have had my Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V for 4 years and I still love it. It may look old but can still keep up with much more 'newer' so call fast cars. Under rated until you race someone! .

“I'd just like to say that I've already wrote about my...”

written by ASTRABOY on 28/02/2006

I'd just like to say that I've already wrote about my 16v GTE but as I can't find anywhere to add a bit about the 8v I had before I'm putting it here too. The 8v was such a great car that after owning it for 2 years the only car I wanted was a GTE 16v(or maybe a early GSI) The 8 valve was as fast flat out as an RS Turbo of Golf 16V. Mine was a black one and if anyone can't aford to insure a 16V buy one of these instead you'll still be happy. Trust me

Calliston's Response to ASTRABOY's Review

Written on: 02/06/2010

I found this review very helpful because there are a lot of differing reviews out there to do with 16v versus 8v and this one seems balanced considering the perosn has owned both. Can't afford a 16v so good to hear the 8v is not a complete waste of time!

“Having owned a final series Maron 16v, I have to...”

written by Waseem Malik on 12/09/2005

Having owned a final series Maron 16v, I have to honestly say I absolutely loved the Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V . It can definitely compete with todays hot hatches, and for the money you pay you got a whole lot of performance. I am not going to go on about how great the car is as it suffered from a few characteristic prioblems.

The handling was atrocious a Mx5 or a Micra come to think of it would lose you in the twisties.

“I have owned 2 of these Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V cars so...”

written by lburns159 on 16/06/2004

I have owned 2 of these Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V cars so far and iam looking for my 3rd one at the moment they are good looking cars for there age and a lot better looking then the rep mobiles on the road today. Mine runs about 200 bhp at the moment which is enough to leave most new cars for dead but the most important thing is that it has never broke down and runs like a dream i know some peaple dont like them but thats there loss they would rather bang on about the lag on my so cool escort rs now i know these cars can be very fast if they dont breakdown before they get to sixty and looks????? well they have nice big lamps lol.well id like to say more but i ve got to go i know ill get loads of abuse about this but id like to say to them: shut up and go fix your rs lol.

“Having owned 5 Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v myself now, both...”

written by Astra2 on 23/02/2004

Having owned 5 Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v myself now, both standard and modified, I can safely say I know a good one when I see one, or drive it for that matter.

With 156/150* bhp from the box (*=Cat fitted models) and a very lightweight shell, the Astra GTE 16v is an awesome bit of kit, and in terms of bhp/£ there is not a lot to touch it. Top whack you will pick one up for about £2000-2500 but we are talking Leather Edition Champion run-out models (250 Champion and 250 Leather Edition released).

First thing you will notice sitting in the GTE is the bright "futuristic" looking digi dash, which takes a bit of getting used to after years of analogue clocks! The seats and interior are not too bad, as long as you have a charcoal rainbow interior and not the aweful grey flannel looking ones that I have had in the past. The driving position is also quite nice, with easy adjustments made to height of seat if need be.

On driving, the engine is not the most refined, but in 1988 how many 1998cc lumps were producing 156bhp without turbos? A small trade-off. Simply flooring the car on the stock 14 inch alloys in first or second gear is not adviseable as the car has a tendancy to torque steer and spin up wildly, and you will end up killing acceleration. 0-60 is up in anywhere between 6.9 and 7.6 secs dependant on condition and who is driving. 15 inch wheels offer better grip without compromising handling. The 16v XE engine loves being revved hard, and as long as it is maintained well will keep coming back for more again and again and again. Driven sensibly you can see an easy 35mpg, which for a performance car of this kind is very good.

Unlike most Vauxhall gearboxes the F20 box is not as rubbery and as long as it is well maintained the changes should be precise.

The chassis really does need tweeking to get the best out of the lump that powers it. Bilstein sports dampers and Eibach springs are very good and tend to dial out a little of the lift off oversteer that these cars suffer from badly from the factory. Brakes are ok, but again, V6 callipers from the Vectra and 288mm discs are advised to beef things up a little.

Body rot is a major plague for the MK2. 16v models were not AS prone, might have something to do with them being turned out of the Opel factories and not from British ones???? The rear arches go easily due to a lip on the inside of the arch. Water and muck tend to stick here and unless washed regularly the catalogue of muck can eat away at the metal requiring a good bodyshop to rectify. Worst case is new quarter panels (NOT CHEAP).

Always inspect under carpets on floorpan (especially around drainage gromets). Pull back the inspection panels in the boot to inspect rear arches. You will also be able to ascertain as to whether or not the car has already had welding work done.

Avoid high mileage examples with little or no history, run a mile if there is mayo gunk in the coolant reservoir or the oil filler cap. Any tapping noises should clear in seconds, again if not, one of Vauxhall's handbuilt finest has been nailed to death! Run away!

All in all a very good car. Look carefully and find a good one and you will grin from ear to ear. Buy a pup though........................plenty of them, it is a different story.

“The Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v gives amazing performance,...”

written by Adnansaleem on 12/01/2004

The Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v gives amazing performance, released in may 1988 this was one of the quickest hot hatches about. Excellent acclertion an any gear I can honestly say after owing a dozen of these cars including the champion limited edtion that I am still not bored of this car. Still a head turner and commands respect on the streets the ultimate boy racer car.

Turbojoe's Response to Adnansaleem's Review

Written on: 26/01/2004

I totally agree. mate of mine bought an old rat for £100, we think it was an 8 valve once upon a time, but now has a 16 valve red top with only minor tuning (cone filter and exhaust) I took it for a spin and was genuinely scared at first: it saw sixty in about seven seconds dead, then in third at sixty I gave it a boot and it just lit up. Then we had some fun, we beat a Renault 5 turbo off the lights, then a 323 beemer, then a Fiesta turbo. then we done an mr2 t-bar, and we only finally got beaten when we met a Cossie. By the way, did i mention it was a bit on the fast side, and I rather liked it?