Pan's Labyrinth Reviews

Pan's Labyrinth - Ask a question now

“A Gothic fairy tale set against the back drop of post...”

Written on: 27/03/2007 by emza2511 (176 reviews written)

A Gothic fairy tale set against the back drop of post war repression Spain. Pans Labyrinth is told through the eyes of Ofelia, a dreamy young girl who with Carmen her mother is sent to live with her abusive step-father Captain Vidal. Captain Vidal is leading his team of soldiers against resistance fighters and he is willing do whatever it takes to kill every last one of them. As Vidal bosses around the pregnant Carmen, Ofelia choses to escape all this by emersing herself in a world or magical… Read Full Review

“In contrast to the many other reviews that this film...”

Written on: 21/02/2007 by Cult Fiction (10 reviews written)

In contrast to the many other reviews that this film received, I have to admit I was deeply disappointed with perhaps the whole film in its entirety. My flatmate insisted that this film would make a good choice between staying in on a Saturday night, instead of going out. Captivated by his words I thought his idea of watching a foreign language film would perhaps be quite interesting and somewhat different to the films he usually chooses. This film for me lacked a clear understanding for its… Read Full Review

Lee2008's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 22/02/2007

Cheers Cult, i will give this one a miss on your sound advice.

Cult Fiction's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 15/05/2007

I must clarify once again that this film was truly and unquestionably dreadful. My opinions may come across as somewhat strong, but I cannot convey at why anyone would want to see a film of this genre in a foreign language, with perhaps the most wooden acting I have ever seen on a TV screen. I insist, do not waste your money on this film!

252776_Anonymous101's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 11/04/2007

Very true, I was eagerly awaiting the release of TMNT and a friend who went along to the cinema highly recommended it, I went along to view the motion picture and I have to admit that I was a little bit disappointed to be honest.

Andreag's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 10/04/2007

Personally I disagree with this review, and I have spoken to many others who have watched this film and they disagree too.
<br/>I would not write this film off, just because of 1 persons opinion as you may find that most films they don&#039;t like you do, and in which case you would be depriving yourself of a great watch.
<br/>Everyone is not the same and we do not all have the same opinions, so my advice - watch the film and make your own decision.

Cult Fiction's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 26/02/2007

I was quite surprised to hear that this film had won Oscars! If you feel the temptation to go and watch this film based on the opinions of professional critics - then its something you must do to conclude any pre-assumptions you may have. This film was not for me - it was a complicated film covering an unusual scope. Usually the Mexican film industry produce excellent films. I will recommend "Amores Los Perros" as an alternative - an outstanding Mexican Film, with a strong plot line covering 3 alternative scenarios based around the lives of people and their dogs - well thought, well-scripted and well-produced.

Helen Of Troy's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 24/02/2007

Excellent honest review! I had been curious, and I was tempted to see Pan's Labyrinth, but maybe not now. Is it worth even hiring on DVD do you reckon?

252776_Anonymous101's Response to Cult Fiction's Review

Written on: 22/02/2007

I thought the only film in the art house & international films category ever made was that Cinema Paradiso, which I really enjoyed, now that another has been built, I&#039;ll think I will avoid, many thanks for saving me a few quid with a very informative review.

Read 7 Comments

“This is a Spanish fairytale that is more reality than...”

Written on: 11/12/2006 by Mindy (82 reviews written)

This is a Spanish fairytale that is more reality than fantasy. Set in the 1940's as the Spanish Civil War is ending, Ofelia and her frail, pregnant mother are going to live with her mother's new husband, a Captain in the Franco's army who is trying to round up rebel forces in the hills around the camp. He wants his son to be born near him. He is a hard man and Ofelia does not like him. She escapes into storybooks and makes friends with the head housekeeper, Mercedes, who happens to be a rebel… Read Full Review

Helen Of Troy's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 15/01/2007

Great review Mindy! I was talking about Pan's Labyrinth with my eldest son, and he thought it was subtitled. Is that right?

Mindy's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 16/01/2007

I hate dubbing unless it&#039;s over anime. It sounds weird and I find it distracting when the movements of the actors&#039; mouths don&#039;t match the words, so I always prefer subtitles. Once you start watching films with them, you get used to it.

Helen Of Troy's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 16/01/2007

Thanks Mindy, it sounds like a fantastic film. Think I would&#039;ve preferred it to have been dubbed, did the subtitling make any difference to your enjoyment of the film?

Mindy's Response to Mindy's Review

Written on: 16/01/2007

Yes, it is subtitled. The original dialogue is in Spanish.

Read 4 Comments