Apple iPod Classic - 6th Gen Reviews

• Sound Quality

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

Summary

Read and write reviews of the Apple iPod Classic 6th Generation MP3 Player.

Apple iPod Classic - 6th Gen - Ask a question now

• Video Playback: Up to 6 hours

Includes:
• Earphones, dock adapter, USB 2.0 cable

Size:
• 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.41 inches (103.5 x 61.8 x 10.5 mm)

Weight:
• 4.9 ounces (140 grams)

Charge Time
• About 4 hours (2-hour fast charge to 80%)

Display:
• 2.5-inch (diagonal) colour LCD with LED backlight

Navigation:
• Click Wheel

“Big but a must for music lovers”

Written on: 13/03/2015 by Jaimeng25 (2 reviews written)

Amazing device from Apple. Had this Ipod for the last 4 years, apart from the battery backup reduced, it is still the same. Listening to music for hours with great quality and gapless music is just great. The scroll pad is a great innovation of its time, and I had no issue till date using the device. Though the screen could be a bit to fit on the movie resolution, but the space of the device is simply awesome. I carry my entire music library in my Ipod and love changing every day.

“good but not amazing”

Written on: 06/10/2013 by Reviewexpert5 (8 reviews written)

The I pod classic is the best mp3 player out there. It has 160gb of storage included. This is the most durable I pod by far and the screen is free of any scratches after years of rough use including numerous concrete drops. All accidental of course. One complaint I have is the screen is small and ralitively low resolution. It really has no features other then the music playback which it excels at. The battery life is decent good but not really that amazing either. This is not as good as many other apple products.

“Good memory - sound a bit low”

Written on: 14/07/2011 by TheoBullen (1 review written)

The one I bought was 160GB so it has huge amount of memory. This means I don't need to keep changing music on the iPod. This is very useful for me. However, the sound is a bit low and I would like it to be louder. I think they changed the volume level due to EU safety levels. With some music I really want to hear it. Apart from the volume, it's a great product and easy-to-use.

“Thanks to EU it has a limited volume and as such you...”

Written on: 06/07/2010

Thanks to EU it has a limited volume and as such you can hear everything else but not the music.
I've always been a fan of ipod but not any more.
I'll get any mp3 player that allows me to hear the music and not other people chatting, sneezing, coughing etc.
If you want to hear the music then do not buy it. This limitation has made it not fit for purposes: portable mp3 player.

“This is for all those people who are having volume...”

Written on: 20/03/2010 by jennyjoy (4 reviews written)

This is for all those people who are having volume issues with this iPod. This generation iPod is a little over half of the thickness of my previous 'pod. Other small improvements are Genius mixes and a slightly better screen with the 'cover flow' function scrolling random album covers across the screen. Finally the screen is now split with the menu on the left and graphics on the right. Visit http://www.123discountshop.com/cheap-buy/ipod-classic.htm

“If only Apple's products worked as well as their...”

Written on: 17/02/2010 by JonathanForsyth1976 (2 reviews written)

If only Apple's products worked as well as their marketing. Three times in the past five years I have either purchased or (one two occasions) been given an Apple i-pod. Despite barely using them and being very careful with them, on each occasion they have broken down for no discernable reason within an average period of 6 months.

I wouldn't mind if they did not cost three figures. Once is an oversight but three is a disgrace. They won't be getting anymore of my business and I intend to spread the word to as many people as I can, so hopefully others won't be ripped off as I have been.

“I have tried three ipods now, nano, shuffle and touch....”

Written on: 02/02/2010 by HonestOpinion2013 (9 reviews written)

I have tried three ipods now, nano, shuffle and touch. What total rubbish! Yes they are futuristic and have extra bits to them, but what poor poor sound!

Even the touch with its sound adjustment, pop, rock and jaz and all that rubbish its still under performing tinny c**p.

Best of all is the SONY walkman mp3 players, full sound adjustment and a good old bass beat!

“The iPod Classic 80Gb version was appealing as soon as...”

Written on: 29/12/2009 by puniksem (13 reviews written)

The iPod Classic 80Gb version was appealing as soon as it came out of it's box. Shiny and beautiful, with sleek lines and smooth buttons and touch sensitive jog wheel was a vast improvement upon the older white plastic ipods of yesteryear, impressed with it's 80Gb capacity and the ability to playback all my films (once converted to MP4). I have a large collection of MP3 format files that I've converted over the years from my Vinyl collection. and was genuinely amazed that I had my entire collection in one mobile player.

What's more is that I could store my phone contacts, calender events, and notepad documents on it too! Plus games to play while listening to my music, it soon proved to be a good all-rounder. Now two years after buying my iPod the original battery is still holding a respectable charge. I can still watch 2~3 full length films and still play many hours of music before requiring another charge.

If you're thinking about getting an iPod Classic 80Gb model, I wouldn't hesitate for one moment in recommending you buy one. As the price of the 160Gb Classic has fallen to about £190, it might pay you to consider buying a 160Gb Classic instead.

“I've owned an iPod classic 80Gb model and really had...”

Written on: 29/12/2009 by puniksem (13 reviews written)

I've owned an iPod classic 80Gb model and really had no issues with it in the time I've been using it, however one issue was with the PC not recognising the iPod as a USB2 device when connecting after an apple version update. a small issue that doesn't reflect upon the performance of the device itself.

For a while I'd been contemplating purchasing a 160gb classic, but becoming more reluctant because of all the poor user reviews received thus far.

The 160Gb classic has indeed impressed me with it's capacity, but as pointed out with many other users, third party connectivity accessories may prove useless. Once again gladly I invested in all Apple official accessories.

Now having owned one for a week of intensive play, I've awarded the 160Gb classic with four stars for overall performance and design quality, but never could understand why Apple still insist on using polished metal for a cover, a rubberised back would have been far more durable.

In conclusion: I love the iPod classic 160Gb, for both all-round performance, battery life, design and functionality. Shame about the included headphones, definitely need to get your own.

I'm disappointed only for one reason, and that is because Tesco was selling the 160Gb version, for £181.99 then when I returned the next day to buy one, the price had gone up to £188.99 overnight!

“I have used Ipods for the last 5 years and always run...”

Written on: 28/12/2009

I have used Ipods for the last 5 years and always run into the same problem - build quality. I t seems that Apple only are only interested in the looks and not the build. Shame, because the iPod is, without doubt, the best looking player on the market. It has some great functions and a huge storage capacity. This is also a huge weakness, as with every new iPod I have to collect, I have to spend nine hours downloading all my music - again. I am about to return my THIRD iPod - which is only 6 months old - and, frankly, I am getting sick of the continual problems. I would never recommend an iPod to someone I liked and I will never buy another. I am just glad I have not had to pay for a new classic, as each ipod has failed within the warranty!

“My first ipod. Why didn't it come with itunes...”

Written on: 25/11/2009 by wondalli (2 reviews written)

My first ipod. Why didn't it come with itunes software, rather than having to download it off the internet. It is rather heavy, but it's storage capacity if huge. I put 100 albums on it and used less than 10% of the capacity. It has a nice big screen.

I guess it is designed for people who don't want the full portability of the nano...I don't think it is suited to carring around while excerising. But it is good for using in a car or at work.

“I have three 160Gb classis, which I bought when I...”

Written on: 09/10/2009

I have three 160Gb classis, which I bought when I heard the max size of Classic was reduced to 120 Gb - too small for me. I've had one for 2 years and use it with Lossless files as a CD replacement through a high-end HiFi using Arcams IDock. Its fantastic. I have another in the car and a third I was saving for the dining room. Don't play through hi-end audio using headphone socket - use the best dock you can buy and be prepared to be amazed.

No issues with these iPods - I should know. Sound quality smacks the Touch / iPhone into a cocked hat - there is absolutely no comparison. So either have the funky touchscreen interface, of have the real meal deal sound quality and decidedly antiquated interface (Classic). If you like music you'll take the higher capacity and rip CDs lossless

“i really loved my ipod classic when i just got it....”

Written on: 04/10/2009

i really loved my ipod classic when i just got it. However, after a few months it refused to play some songs (at random; files werent corrupted) and froze. One morning, suddenly it decided to say that there was "No Music" in it. I restored it, hoping that it would solve the problem. Wrong. I cant add songs to it, I cant use it as an external HD (it won't copy) and now it's just a useless piece of an expensive machine.

“Good Points: Storage space, looks, build quality. ”

Written on: 04/09/2009 by stringy09 (1 review written)

Good Points: Storage space, looks, build quality.

Bad Points: Bundled headphones, lack of a mains charger.

The Apple iPod Classic 120GB is in my view still the best ipod for me and for anyone else who favors storage capacity over fancy touch screens and ultra slim looks. The classic doesn't look bad, infact i find it rather distintive with it's chrome back and matt black front. The screen is good quality and plenty clear enough to watch movies on. It feels like it's honed from a single block of billet it's that well put together. So the only bad points for me are the bundled headphones, which are always crap no matter which ipod you buy and the biggest thing i can't get over is why do nearly all MP3/4 players of any make only come with a usb lead for charging. This means you have to have your laptop on or pc on to charge the thing up, a bit wasteful i think and you don't want to sync the thing evry 12 hours when the battery is dead. I just don't see the point. Make life easier and buy a decent set of headphones and a mains USB adaptor for charging. If Apple included these things in the box rather than just giving you the bare minimum the product would be perfect.

“I overall think the the Ipod classic, is a very...”

Written on: 21/08/2009 by skeen4 (2 reviews written)

I overall think the the Ipod classic, is a very reliable MP3 player but at times when adding in songs in iTunes the songs dont come up in the artist section on the music list. I found this annoying as then you have to search the through all the song section to find the one that you want.
I felt that the headphones that are supplied with it, arent that great, the volume is also very low unless you change the volume settings in itunes.

“Its a very good ipod, & definitely worth the money, i...”

Written on: 23/03/2009 by reviewer09 (1 review written)

Its a very good ipod, & definitely worth the money, i never had any problems with my first one but it got stolen. it has a nice feel to it along with a nice touch. it has a very sleek design. pretty good if you dont have any problems. but if you do like i did, you get very frustrated. my first one i had no problems, but my second one, after i watched a video for about the 3rd time a little green pixel was towards the top of the screen & got VERY annoying, no matter how hard i tried it wouldn't go away.but then a few days ago the thing completely STOPPED WORKING totally black screen & didnt even respond. when i plugged it into my computer it didnt even 1. turn on 2.the computer didnt even know it was plugged in. Im extremely mad & im probably gonna switch to an ipod touch. i might recommend the Ipod classic but the fact that my ipod's back silver cover had NEVER been touched by human hands & it was in a really hard protective case & i took care of it EXTREMELY well & it still messed up.

“Large memory, good battery life,nice display screen,...”

Written on: 15/03/2009 by cubbykovu (2 reviews written)

Large memory, good battery life,nice display screen, easy to use, light, cover art , games , and video, good sun quality, looks good. In my opinion, Ipods are Ipods and while expensive they are definitely worth it. I am yet to use an Mp3 player other than an Ipod that I am satisfied with and I have used quite a few.

“ The Apple iPod classic is easy to use. looks good....”

Written on: 05/02/2009

The Apple iPod classic is easy to use. looks good. Had an 80 gig classic for about a year now. The sound level is very low due to the eu restriction limit.

It scratches very easily.

I hate the way Itunes restricts me from using my ipod on my other PCs! It wipes the songs if I plug it into another PC.

Even the Apple made dock doesn't give full functionality when used with the classic. The remote buttons don't all function. Wouldn't buy one again. I prefer audio equipment that works without the manufacturers restrictions. If I had known the audio was restricted and I couldnt store my music on more than one pc I would have purchased something else. Funny how it dodn't say that on the box when I was buying it.

Spunkyf15's Comment

Written on: 16/02/2009

As with all Ipods you can set "sync" to Manual so that when you plug in and it connects to ITunes, nothing is overwritten unless you "drag" it across. Suggest user below downloads full manual from Apple website and reads it! You can then use on any computer.

Read 1 Comment

“80 GB is a huge space, video and audio clarity is...”

Written on: 16/01/2009

80 GB is a huge space, video and audio clarity is awesome and its shuffle is nice!!!!! The Apple iPod Classic doesnt have a charger with it, we have to buy it externally Kool device to hang out with!!!!

“Overall I'm very happy - it does what it says on the...”

Written on: 06/01/2009 by grahambrowning (1 review written)

Overall I'm very happy - it does what it says on the tin. Very poor volume output however. I frequently drive a van without a working radio and bought this iPod especially for this eventuality, but even on max. vol. it struggles to overcome the van noise. Bose noise cancelling headphones help, but get sweaty after a while (and may be illegal to wear while driving?)