Giant African Land Snails Reviews

Giant African Land Snails - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Giant African Land Snails

Giant African Land Snails

“they are awesome animals”

Written on: 25/01/2014 by exoticpethandler (1 review written)

i think my albino giant land snail is awesome and hes such a fascinating pet to watch overall they are quite easy to care for. we did have some trouble before with him always hibernating but all we really needed was a bigger tank to stop the heat drying the tank out fast and hes now always up and enjoying his better surroundings… Read Full Review

“i love Giant African snails they are amazing.”

Written on: 23/04/2009

i love Giant African snails they are amazing… Read Full Review

“i didnt know nothing about them before ,i am worrid...”

Written on: 20/11/2008 by machaela (1 review written)

i didnt know nothing about them before ,i am worrid that one may be dying as it doesnt move it is the smallest of the pair,while the large one gallops around the tank.if any one has any ideas why i would love to hear… Read Full Review

“Giant African Land Snails are very interesting to...”

Written on: 07/10/2008 by dayangreens (1 review written)

Giant African Land Snails are very interesting to watch their movements especially when they are eating. I started with 5 but now I have as much as I can not count for my self I believe some body will like to take a look at them or get some for their kids as pets too. Some of my snail especially Achatina Maginata they are upto 71cm now and still growing. After all snails are some creatures hard to understand in all aspects and can survive some had conditions for leaving… Read Full Review

“Ive had GALS since I was about 13 (now 31 eek) and I...”

Written on: 11/08/2008 by mbbc77 (1 review written)

Ive had GALS since I was about 13 (now 31 eek) and I find it very sad that folk dont seem to know how to care for their snails.....I am no authority dont get me wrong, my knowledge is all from experience and research.....if anyone wants to ask a question, if I am able I will be more than happy to help… Read Full Review

Kibster123's Response to mbbc77's Review

Written on: 31/08/2012

Hello, i have had my giant african land snails for about a year if not a bit longer now and they are reaching about 9cm's at the biggest. Their shells are starting to turn white from the tip up and it has white crispy looking cracks. I have tried searching the internet and i can't find anything to help me. Please help?

Read 1 Comment

“I dont want them to die. Cant wait for them to breed!...”

Written on: 12/05/2008

I dont want them to die. Cant wait for them to breed! They are quiet and can't run away! Very interesting to watch, especially when feeding them. The only bad thing is that there is a lot of slime… Read Full Review

“To Sunshine Livi - if you gently crack the seal and...”

Written on: 25/04/2008

To Sunshine Livi - if you gently crack the seal and spritz him with lukewarm water he will wake up again. My vet told me they shouldn't hibernate as they are from a tropical climate and so do not experience cold weather. However he said they will seal themselves in if they are too dry. Mine keep on sealing themselves in their shells and they won't eat when I wake them up which I am getting very worried about - any advice?… Read Full Review

Lucylemonpip's Comment

Written on: 25/04/2008

I have a vivarium for my snake and we have an Amber reflector bulb which we pop on in the evenings so that we can still see him and it looks nice, as the viv is in the lounge.
<br/>You could try a bulb in your snail tank or even use an energy saving bulb - a bulb would provide ambient warmth, which may help your snails not to hibernate. However, I would buy a bulb guard as well, in case your snails decide to climb onto the bulb - don't want them to burn themselves! But a bulb would warm up the tank. I got my coloured reflector bulb from Maplin's. However in your case, I think you'd need it on all the time, so maybe an energy saving one would be best?
<br/>There are heat mats, but you have to have a thermostat, else they get too hot, especially if you have a glass tank, which doesn't have an air gap underneath - the glass could well crack!
<br/>If you look up info on reptile forums and sites, you can find out more info on heat regulation and provision and the best way to go about it. Do use a thermostat though and also a digital (checks the temp more accurately) thermometer, to keep a check on the temperature.

Read 1 Comment

“They are fun to watch and they get up to so much,...”

Written on: 29/03/2008 by qwertyuiopqwertyuiop (1 review written)

They are fun to watch and they get up to so much, literally, on the roof! They are very cheap to feed, I find the best way is to grow cabbage in the tank. They will eat it but they will still leave enough for the plant to regrow! I would recommend these as good pets. They are very low in demand, Just some water and a cabbage leaf every day!… Read Full Review

“I love my giant african snail, i love watching him eat...”

Written on: 25/03/2008 by sunshine livi (1 review written)

I love my giant african snail, i love watching him eat and climb!
i have had my snail, sid for about two years now and i have enjoyed watching him grow from the size of a pea to the size of a large apple! i recommend a giant african snail to anyone who has a small house with not enough space for e.g a dog... I would love to hear from somebody about my comment because i am getting increasingly worried about my snail!!! thank you to anybody who has replied to my comment!… Read Full Review

“I love my snails - its amazing how fascinating they...”

Written on: 10/03/2008

I love my snails - its amazing how fascinating they are to watch! They also come really cheap, and they don't cost much to look after. The only thing I'm not sure about is the amounts of web pages with info on them...I've just been looking for how to tell how old the snails were, and I cant find the info anywhere! Can anyone help?… Read Full Review

“If anyone knows if the baby Giant African Land Snails...”

Written on: 23/07/2007 by bangputo (1 review written)

If anyone knows if the baby Giant African Land Snails should be separated from their dad/mum please can you let me know?

“Giant African Land Snails are ideal for children to...”

Written on: 22/11/2006 by Helen of Troy (188 reviews written)

Giant African Land Snails are ideal for children to look after, as they are so easy to keep. They are not noisy, do not smell and don't take up a lot of space. They can grow to about 20cm long and 15cm high, so bear that in mind if you buy baby snails!

Snails are Hermaphrodites, they carry both sexes, so they will breed readily. Unless you want hundreds of babies I suggest you remove the eggs and dispose of them before they hatch. They hatch between 14 - 21 days. They burrow under their peat… Read Full Review

Written on: 28/11/2006

Where can I buy these Giant African Land snails?

Kel21's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 12/11/2009

i have just brought two snails about a week ago went to clen them out when i saw little white bugs crawling on there shells.how do i get rid of these and are they mites or what please help.

Theoneandonly2525's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 17/10/2009

I found this review very helpful because...i really wat a pet uty dads allergic to cats, dgs, rabbits etc (anything with fur) and i thought snals would be really good fun to watch. Since i dont now much about how to keep nails came on this forum and found yours the most informative because is got probably all you need to know(pobably)
<br/> Thanx

350693_Rebel 4 Life's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 10/03/2008

Hey, my sister has a giant african land snail and is woundering if its ok. We found the egg 3 days ago and is sat in the middle of the tank. The mum/dad seems fine. We want to know if its unusual to have 1 egg and if its ok?
<br/>many thanks

Written on: 19/01/2007

Well, I'll take his spare snails if he'll pay the shipping!
<br/>
<br/>I know how crazy snails can be! I gave my friend 5 - 6 once, and within a week there were well over a hundred in his fish tank! They can multiply like no mammal can, because, like you said in your review, they are hermaphrodites.

Written on: 17/01/2007

Taylor 9991's brother may have a few spare!
<br/>He's right; they over-run the tank if you don't remove the eggs they so readily lay! If you manage to get one snail, you could gain a few more as a bonus!

Written on: 17/01/2007

I don't think it'll matter what I feed them, as I just can't seem to find them anywhere! But I am happily content with my Oscars.

Written on: 16/01/2007

Can't say I ever gave my Giant African Land Snails brown bread! But I can't see a reason why not! Just never thought about it!

Taylor9991's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 15/01/2007

Giant African Land Snails also like banana, peach, plums, melon, pear, mango, sharon fruit, phylisalis, paw-paw, green beans, corn on the cob and tomatoes. They're supposed to like apples, and they will also eat raw meat like mince, and cat treats/dog biscuits, and brown bread goes down a treat too!

Written on: 15/01/2007

As I mentioned in my Giant African Land Snails review! The best way is to seal them in a plastic bag, freeze them overnight then put them in the bin.

Taylor9991's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 14/01/2007

I would also advise all owners to get rid of the eggs as soon as possible. My brothers friend failed to do so, and when they hatched it was like dropping water on a Mogwi - he was overrun with the little critters and his container was crammed full.

Written on: 09/12/2006

People don't usually go for a pet snail. I don't quite know why, but I'll make sure that I keep an eye out in search of a Giant African Snail.
<br/>
<br/>Are they really from Africa? I don't think of Africa as having enough water for a creature like that, but who knows!?!

Written on: 07/12/2006

I have now convinced myself we should get a couple more. I have tried in two pet shops so far, but I have drawn blanks. I will keep looking. I suppose snails are not much in demand?!

Written on: 05/12/2006

Don't give up looking e4. One day your snail will come.

Written on: 04/12/2006

I suppose I'll read that one too, but I don't think I can get the materials needed for sustaining a Giant snail. That's also assuming that I can even get the snail. So I don't think I'll have a Giant African snail any time. oh, well.

Written on: 01/12/2006

e4! I despair! A Budgie is a little bird! They originate from Australia, but they are now bred all over the world. A teeny weeny little parakeet. I wrote a review on those too!

Written on: 01/12/2006

What are Budgies?
<br/>
<br/>I guess that if i can't get the materials, let alone the Giant Africa snails themselves, I shouldn't have African snails, but I haven't given up yet! There is still hope if I find out what Budgies are!

Written on: 30/11/2006

No e4, not frozen little fish! I honestly don't know of any alternatives to cuttlefish, but Budgies also have them so if you know anyone who has Budgies, they may know somewhere you can get cuttlefish. I don't know the life span of these snails. My son had one given to him when it was a fair size. He lived for about 18 months I think, then decided he didn't want to come out of his shell any more.

Written on: 30/11/2006

I will ask around, and see if I can find them. Approximately how long do they live?
<br/>
<br/>What else can I feed Giant African Land Snails to make sure they get their calcium? I ask this because I don't think I can get cuttlefish anywhere. Can I feed them little frozen regular fish?

Written on: 29/11/2006

Some pet shops sell Giant African Land Snails over here. They cost very little because they breed so easily! There must be somewhere there, ask in your aquatic or pet shop.

Read 20 Comments