Next Sofa Reviews

Summary

Next Sofa Reviews

What are reviewers saying about Next sofas?

Of the over 231 recent reviews of Next sofas on our site, more than 60% have only received 1-star review. So the message is loud and clear: Next’s quality has fallen off, the new designs and fabrics haven’t been properly tested and the customer service is below par. The most common complaint (and I think we can blame Covid) is late delivery. But most numerous are the references to ‘puddling’ and ‘puckering’, ‘sliding’ and ‘twisting’ of the cushions in the Stanford range.

Next sofas: Trading on a great reputation

Next has been selling their own-brand sofas for many years, many of which were handmade in Britain and we can see many loyal customers amongst the reviewers. Which makes their disappointment with more recent purchases even more contrasting.

Dissatisfaction despite Next’s Guarentee

Next sofas have a 10-year guarantee, a fourteen-day returns policy, a BSI kitemark, wonderful-looking designs, reasonable prices, and Furniture Technicians to help customers select the best style. The fact that will even send Inspectors to your home to photograph complaints, suggests they have been listening to customer complaints.

What ranges of Sofas does Next sell?

Next Sofas offer a wide-ranging collection of modern, minimalist, retro and chesterfield sofas, with over 20 styles on their site and in their excellent brochure; including Ashford, Michigan, Newton, Haughton, Sherlock, Darwin, Gosford, Heath, Havana, Osborne, Wilson and Lanston.  Next also sell other sofa brands such as Laura Ashley and Heels.
Next Sofa - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Next Sofa

Next Sofa

“Unfit for purpose!”

Written on: 12/11/2022 by Olivia24 (1 review written)

3 years ago, just before the pandemic, we brought a heath chaise lounge. We got the sofa and it looked amazing. We then sat on the sofa and realised we had made a massive mistake. The sofa completley falls apart if you sit on it. The seat cushions slip which means you end up falling into the sofa. The back cushions sag. You end up with your bottom sitting on the base. The cushions do not fit the sofa design. We then researched what we could do. We realised pretty quickly that in order to qualify for a return then we would need the 'sofa doctor' that Next provides, to come round and assess the situation. At this point, we are fully into the pandemic and the idea of having a stranger enter our home caused anxiety. When we finally felt able to, we asked for the sofa doctor to come. We were questioned why we had not done this sooner and was a little taken aback that they questioned our logic of being in a lockdown and feeling there may have been more to prioritise at that point in time. To give them credit, they did send the sofa doctor. He came in, put our sofa cushions back where they belonged, plumped them up, took a picture and said there was nothing wrong. My partner said 'are you not going to sit on it?'and the sofa doctor said that was not part of the process. We then got an email saying that the sofa had no fault, that the cushions slide because they want their sofas to be able to be rerversable and so they do not attach to the base and that there was nothing they would do. Also the chaise lounge part of the sofa is not reversable (and does not fit the base correctly). I questioned them on this. How can they say that there is no design fault when it literally falls apart when sitting on it? I am sitting on the sofa now, and quite honestly it is a state. It pains me that we spent so much of our hard earned money on this sofa. What pains me more, is it is so noticeable. When anyone comes over the first thing they comment on is how our sofa is not fit for purpose. Next sell a 'look' and they have no desire, wish or motivation to sell anything of function. I am angry at this sofa. I am angry at the company. Thankfully, this review has helped me release some of the anger.

“Next sofa has lasted 7months, absolutely rubbish”

Written on: 26/10/2022 by KimG66 (1 review written)

Ordered an Extra large Lily in plush velvet and matching cuddle sofa- after 6 months the back cushions are sagging and we've bought sofa supports to stop further sagging of the seat cushions Whilst these sofas look the part, they are made in China and are basically chipboard. Some of that wasn't even properly secured in the frame. 2 technician visits from Castellan their furniture repairers concluded no manufacturing fault bit basically just poorly made and not enough springs to support the upholstery. Threatened with small claims court they have agreed to a full refund but unit until they have collected the sofas. Now I'm having to look once again for new furniture which involves more cost and hassle. Didn't expect Next to be so bad but they are truly shoddy.

“Michigan Modular Sofa…TERRIBLE SOFA ”

Written on: 29/08/2022 by rcob71 (1 review written)

Ordered a Next Modular Sofa / Michigan. Was appalled by the poor quality, seat cushions never lined up with back ones. Cushions slide off every time you sit on them. Next agreed to swap so we changed for a different sofa in the Michigan range. We contacted them as same thing happened again. This started in September 2020 and we are still trying to get it sorted in 2022 as many of the springs have gone in this sofa now as well. we initially waited 16 weeks for the first one to arrive. It’s been a nightmare, we’ve had better sofas from Argos at a third of the price. Think twice about buying a sofa from Next.

“Very poor quality cushion inserts”

Written on: 29/08/2022 by Snoizers22 (1 review written)

Bought Stamford chaise and heath 3 seater and snuggle less than 2 years ago and they are dreadful, especially the Stanford. The seats and backs neder line up so always look untidy and the inner cushions on both plus the arm rests are cheap pillow type hollow fibre that goes to nothing so you just get lots of baggy fabric that looks awful. I turn all seats, backs etc every week as advised. For the price of the sofas and quality I expected from next these are appauling. I would like next to contact me to discuss and resolve.

“Ashford Sofa - don’t do it! ”

Written on: 30/07/2022 by Vmacg01 (1 review written)

Terrible sofa! Shame on you next! The furniture technician was a joke - told me he was in sales not making furniture! £1,700. Cannot afford to replace this for many years so gutted! NEXT your products will catch up with you!

“Ashford. Sofa terrible”

Written on: 01/04/2022 by Granteter (1 review written)

I bought Ashford medium sofa delivered in December so bad the 2 year old can t sit on it They sent an upholster who showed us how to sit on the sofa as we did nt know only problem there is we are 70 and 80 year old However been told there is nothing wrong so I thought I would take it further and was advised by Next to take the to arbitration which cost 25 pounds so I m just deciding to do this any options would be appreciated if any one can help

Bombuspolaris's Response to Granteter's Review

Written on: 02/04/2022

Is the problem with your cushions sinking and offering no support? We bought online but resorted to taking one of the cushions into a Next store, where staff agreed it wasn't good enough and rang customer services on our behalf. Customer services agreed to arrange collection and full refund. At first they did deny all knowledge of this phonecall, but luckily it was recorded so they had to follow through on what they'd said.

Elizabethadair's Response to Granteter's Review

Written on: 21/05/2022

I bought two Ashford sofa’s and find them so uncomfortable. I live on my own so they don’t get a lot of wear. I keep changing where I sit as I know one will look sunken in, even though I’d prefer to sit near the telly. I bought them in lockdown thinking ‘well they’re from next’ they’ll be good quality. How wrong was I. Soo disappointed.

Read 2 Comments

“Very poor quality furniture”

Written on: 13/03/2022 by Isitafix1 (1 review written)

We bought two Newton leather sofas & a chair in November. Within days the leather was "puddling" & the cushions flattening. In January I rang Next who arranged a technician to visit and examine the furniture. He spent about 30 minutes taking photos and examining the furniture, saying he would report back to Next within a few days. I rang Next the following week and was told his opinion was that "there was no manufacturing fault". I then asked to know what their formal complaints procedure was so I could take it further. A phone call from Next advised they were willing to replace the worst sofa ( the one we used the most) but I explained that in my opinion, we're we to use the other sofa and chair to the same extent they would be equally as bad and were not fit for purpose. They agreed to take them back and give me a full refund which I have accepted. Never again!

Bombuspolaris's Response to Isitafix1's Review

Written on: 14/03/2022

I'm having the same issue with my sofas bought in December and am trying to get them to take them away and provide a full refund. It's good to know that they did this for you, did you keep having to ring them?

Read 1 Comment

“No Swatches Available”

Written on: 18/01/2022 by Helenal470 (1 review written)

Having been waiting for swatch samples for over 2 weeks, I have rang Next twice to chase it up and was eventually told to re-order. However, today when I contacted an online customer services rep was first told that it can take up to 28 days for them to arrive but then went on to say ' Swatch samples can be viewed in stores. There is a shortage of materials so it has to be prioritised for our orders.' I said I cannot get to the Stores, that's why I'm shopping online!! Next has just lost another sale and a customer!!

“Next Houghton sofa ”

Written on: 14/01/2022 by MIdlandsDavid (1 review written)

I waited months for my new Houghton sofas to be delivered after ordering they are such a source of disappointment. I would go as far as saying the sofas are a "cheap replica" of the actual sofa I experienced in a Next Home Store, and this seems to be someting mentioned regularly in reviews. Immediately it was evident that all the seat cushions slide forward on the sofa regardless of how carefully you sit on them, but more worrying is the sagging of the seat cushions. I have tried "Dressing" the seat cushions and they look ok until you sit on them again and straight away the cushions just sink. They are so uncomfortable and unsupportive that I actually have back and hip pain from sitting on these sunken cushions. I contacted Next customer service and they sent someone to inspect the sofas...... long story short, there's nothing wrong with them according to Next, they just need regular "Dressing". I asked for a copy of the inspection report....... no reply from Next !!!!! Customer service so far has been underwhelming to say the least, but judging by the reviews on Trustpilot, I'M NOT ALONE. Word of caution..... you pay your money, you take your chances. I have 2 sofas, a few months old that look like they've been in heavy use since the 1800's

“ASHFORD SOFAS”

Written on: 23/12/2021

Please do not buy the Ashford suite from NEXT. We bought 2 x 3 seater sofas the cushions keep sliding of. They cause lower back problems because no support. Complained they sent out an upholsterer which I our opinion totally useless never Sat on the furniture just took the cushion covers of took the underneath cloth of and sent a report in saying it was ok. Surely you should sit on the sofa. And the attitude of the staff at the complaints is terrible. Really Next you are paying them not to investigate waste of time and not a good choice of staff. If anyone would like to add their names to stop Next selling this awful furniture let me know.

Climbinghare's Comment

Written on: 29/12/2021

I'm so glad I read your review..was just about to buy a sofa and a chair in this range...
So sorry for you...a lot of money wasted it seems

Forest38's Comment

Written on: 30/04/2022

Exactly same problem with my Ashford. I am currently using magazines to prop up one side of couch! Shameful service from Next. The furniture technician did the same with me took the bottom off and said we need to sit in the middle not edge. On speaking with him during his 45 mins here ( his report said 2 hours) I ask if he made furniture he says he was in sales! Any decent company would accept their fault in bad buying and repay us back……..not Nect, just keeps our money and laughs.

12Je07's Comment

Written on: 01/01/2022

Just been debating whether to buy this sofa. I have to say the seat cushions on the one in-store had slid forwards by quite a bit.
Are you saying it does this often? My sofa of 12 years has never done this..

Read 3 Comments

“Don’t be fooled!!”

Written on: 23/12/2021 by sammy39 (1 review written)

The Michigan corner sofa looks good…but that’s it!! It is a horrendous sofa and so uncomfortable! It is sagging g after only 6 months of use a d my husbands back is sore from sitting at it!! We had an engineer come and look as we genuinely thought we had a faulty sofa and he just said that this is what it is!!! Very disappointed! Will call the engineer back….I cannot believe they are actually selling this sofa in this state!!! Fuming!

“ASHFORD 2 X 3 SEATERS”

Written on: 25/11/2021 by McNeillgz322 (1 review written)

This furniture is the worse we have ever bought we have bad backaches, the cushions slide of. Even family and friends have said it is so uncomfortable. The material is awful. Surprised at Next selling such bad quality sofas. I am looking into taking this further. The cushions are poor quality. The frame badly made. Don't buy from next their furniture.

“Do not purchase a sofa from here!”

Written on: 21/11/2021 by KirstyB90 (1 review written)

Do not purchase a sofa from next - words I wish I had read before buying mine!!! Go elsewhere! They are the most uncomfortable sofas you could come across. I have had to go back to using my old sofa, the one that I ‘replaced’ with one from Next. Constant back ache, seat cushions sliding whenever you’re sat on them, generally just the worst quality you could imagine. I’d go as far as saying the ones in store are made from completely different material - we sat on them for a good while to test them out and what we have received is nothing like what we sat on in store. Their customer service is shockingly bad - complete waste of money. I’m now left with a sofa that I can’t sell because of how much the seats have misshapen, and I can’t use as it is so uncomfortable. Don’t believe that because it’s from Next it will be good quality, they are far from it. Also, if you allow one of the technicians they send in to your home, be very careful if you are in the least bit concerned about Covid. I was sent a covid denying anti-vaxxer, which I think is completely irresponsible of the company too. Just go elsewhere.

Judith13's Response to KirstyB90's Review

Written on: 01/07/2022

i bought “the heath” sofa from next and just like you the one now in my home is so uncomfortable nothing like the sofa i sat on in the store.
18 months down the line still uncomfortable and rock hard to sit on
complained to store also had technicians out.

Read 1 Comment

“Appalling quality”

Written on: 10/11/2021 by Maggielyn (1 review written)

We chose a lovely soft comfortable Houghton sofa in a large Next store. What we received was a cheap imitation or literally fake furniture. It was hard to sit on not casual comfort as stated in the store cand the workmanship was truly awful. I could have wept. It even had plucks in the material. It was not cheap nearly £2000 but what we got was worth £200 if even. It is the first and last time we will buy anything from Next. To be fair they took it back without any fuss but we had ordered this for moving into our new home just before Christmas. Now we are without a settee over the festive period with visitors planned. Not a nice shopping experience. I just don’t understand this company letting such inferior quality stuff to be sent to customers. Shocking really.

“Expensive armchair”

Written on: 30/10/2021 by JakobeHickey149 (1 review written)

I spent 1200.00 euro for a large Sherlock armchair. It's a disaster as the hair cushion keeps sliding out . For this price I would have expected the best. Will not be buying furniture from Next again .

“Not the quality I expected from NEXT”

Written on: 25/10/2021 by AudrinaPenn (1 review written)

I bought two Stamford sofas and it appears to a design flaw as the cushions slide forward off the sofa. It's so bad we have tried to place an anti slip material under the cushions. This still failed to stop them sliding forward. Like on another review the cushions softened very quickly and lose support. When stretching out it dips in the of the cushions and offers little or no support. If I could take them back and replace them I would. I expected a lot better quality from NEXT but I'm very disappointed. Avoid this sofa and don't waste your money.

Mleeds1's Comment

Written on: 31/10/2021

Reject them as not fit for purpose.I am my Wilson is the worst sofa I have ever bought.Cannot sit on them for more than a hour before the cushions "give in"

Andrea1001's Comment

Written on: 18/01/2022

I found the very same complaint, I had an “independent inspector” call to my home which thry arranged and his words to me as he walked in the door to my lounge were I see this all the time with customer services didn’t want to know, once the report went back to them from my inspectors report because it wasn’t deemed as a manufacturer fault there was nothing they could, I told them I was hiring a van and taking it to my nearest store, the quality is appalling, I’m stuck with this awful sofa that looks like I’ve had for 8 years not 8 months I’d avoid at all costs buying another sofa from here, they used to pride themselves on quality and customer aftercare NOT ANYMORE !!!!!

Scoff1892's Comment

Written on: 11/11/2021

Exactly this!! Tried anti slip matt too! Also fabric is bobbling to top it off. Poor quality expected so much more

Barry1992's Comment

Written on: 12/11/2021

We have the exact issues. The fabric is bobbling on the surface of the cushions.
We tried an anti slip matt too but it doesn't really work.
Very poor quality all around.

Read 4 Comments

“Very poor value for money!”

Written on: 05/07/2021 by Lozzygk (1 review written)

We bought the Ashford 4 seater chaise sofa and a stool 5 years ago. The material covering the framework on the sofa part of the chaise soon ripped away from the framework, but we didn't bother at the time. There are only 2 adults using the suite, we were both working when we bought the furniture, although my husband has recently retired so the furniture has not been badly treated. We have recently noticed the poor quality of the cushions which have started to sag quite badly. We contacted Next but was told that the cushions only had a 1 year guarantee, when we bought the furniture, unlike the guarantee that they have now. Not impressed, and would certainly not buy furniture from Next again.

Traceywhite18's Response to Lozzygk's Review

Written on: 13/07/2021

I am in dispute with next over the Ashford sofa only had it 5 month looks like a second hand sofa awful

Anonymous2411's reply to Traceywhite18's Comment

Written on: 02/08/2021

Hi I am having the same issue but think this is due more to the fabric I purchased the sofa in. I have scrumptious velour which has marked terribly despite taking great care of it. My mother ordered a few year prior to myself in the exact same material yet they are completely different fabrics and she has had no trouble with her sofa marking.

May I ask what fabric you purchased yours? I feel because it is over a year now they will be unwilling to help as I have experienced poor customer care from next in the past.

Sandway's reply to Traceywhite18's Comment

Written on: 23/12/2021

Let me know if you have any luck the complaints department are a nightmare I am starting a petition to discredit Next for the sale of bad sofas and their staff in complaints. The upholsterer they send out will not go against next further more they don't even sit on the sofas to try it

Islandgirl77's reply to Sandway's Comment

Written on: 04/04/2022

I bought a Nantucket corner sofa from M&S which is exactly the same as the Next Stamford sofa. Had the 'independent' (how can they be when Next and M&S pay them?). Said no manufacturing fault although he said they should have used springs and not webbing. My brother bought the ex display model from our local store, totally different quality! For information mine was manufactured by Westbridge Furniture Designs Ltd who supplied to M&S.

Read 4 Comments

“Next are not best”

Written on: 19/05/2021 by Jennings1 (1 review written)

Have sofa and chair Not yet a year old and you nearly sit on the floor. However worst part is the creaking when you sit on it or move. On sending a technician he told us they all end up like that. Hey that's fine then funny how when we sat on the one in store it didnt creak. Paid a lot of money and went to next as thought they were a reputable company. They are not Will never buy furniture from them again. Also if technician says it's like it in all sofas that seems to be a get out clause Disgusted

“Ended up in court”

Written on: 11/05/2021

We bought a sofa and armchair from Next. After 5 months the armchair broke. The frame split and broke. There was a large knot in the wood where the wood split. Despite sending them photos Next refused responsibility, saying it was our fault. After weeks of hassle with them, I took them to court, the online small claims court. Needless to say, Next had to admit liability and pay out. A most unpleasant experience, we won't be shopping there again.

“Next 'Health' sofa is let down by cushion filling ”

Written on: 04/05/2021 by Timmonssf32 (1 review written)

We purchased a large 'Heath' sofa from Next 18 months ago, covered in 'Super Tweed - Natural' fabric. Despite "plumping" the cushions daily, and rotating the seat pads weekly, the sofa has already lost a significant degree of comfort. I suspect the long-term durability of this sofa is going to be poor, and that we'll have to replace the back and side cushions within the next 18 months. If I had my choice again, I would avoid this design and go for a tried-and-tested leather sofa from Ikea.

Asked by Andrea1001 on 18th January 2022 Report this content
I'm looking for honest reviews on the Gosford Highback sofa. I’m currently in dispute with Next over the Stamford, which is not a year old yet and the quality is awful. Can anyone help?

Asked by Lcriddle76 on 5th January 2022 Report this content
Has anyone bought the Darwin corner sofa from Next please? I was about to order but the sofa reviews are putting me off (although not seen a review for Darwin). Thanks.

Asked by Lutece11 on 25th September 2021 Report this content
Anyone purchased the lily sofa? Would like an honest opinion.

Report this content Andrea1001 Written on: 20/01/2022
The overall opinions on the whole range of sofas are not very promising, next have finally agreed to change my Stamford sofa I’m looking to now have the gosford would rather of had a refund but they declined but can’t find anyone who’s reviewed it
Asked by .mdw121 on 1st September 2021 Report this content
Did anyone find their Next sofa uncomfortablly hard (the seats) when they received it?

Asked by FoxyC on 30th June 2021 Report this content
Has anyone ordered the next Stamford in the standard cushions rather than the casual comfort as there are a lot of negative reviews for the casual comfort but not a lot on the standard more tailored cushions? Thanks!

Asked by MBLC on 7th September 2020 Report this content
Does anybody have eve Next Heath sofa?

Answers (2)
Report this content Westerton225 Written on: 17/01/2021
Also interested in any thoughts Heath sofa owners have as I am thinking of ordering in tweedy blend
Report this content MBLC Written on: 18/01/2021
Hi Westerton225, I ordered the sofa in tweedy blend and love them. The cushions do slip a bit but not enough to put me of them
Asked by madonna0007 on 17th April 2017 Report this content
I have just purchased two stamford sofas. My husband is happy with them but I am getting backache. Has anyone else had this problem? I am still within the 14 day return period and may send them back but not sure if this is generally a problem with next sofas.

Asked by Elainemee on 11th February 2016 Report this content
Seen loads of Next Stratus 11 corner sofas on eBay new. Are they any good?

Asked by shonaburnett on 11th August 2015 Report this content
Has anyone else had an odor issue with a Next sofa? We have just had 2 Stamford sofas delivered and they stink! Thinking memory foam or chemical spray.

Report this content Stevedrapes Written on: 12/08/2015
Hi the only problem we had was their delivery dates everything else was ok
Asked by Allanna on 23rd September 2014 Report this content
Why are the cushions constantly slipping off the base of the sofa, in addition to the cushion covers twisting round out of line with the inner foam. The back cushions slip down the back of the seating cushions. Cushions themselves don't stay in shape. The back one of the seats which makes up the L shape creaks, the material creases and gets rub marks on it. This sofa has only been here a few months. My last sofa lasted 12 years and looked better than this does after just a few months. We do not have any children living at home now, we treat the sofa with utmost respect. I regularly pump the cushions as instructed. We have had home customer services look at it. They said they would sort out the broken back of chair which is creaking. Not heard anything with regards to that. We were told we would get new cushion covers for the rub marks, which he said looked like we had been scratching them! Told the slipping of the covers and the cushions slipping from the base was just one of those things. Not happy. What can I do?

Report this content Smith46 Written on: 24/09/2014
Hi Allanna, sorry you are having bother with your sofas, since my sofas were replaced I haven't had any bother with new ones. I choose the same style(Garda).only in a different fabric, so I think the problems you are having is caused by the fabric.I would advise you to get on to next and ask for a second opinion, and if you are offered an exchange do not take a chenille fabric as that is what the problem was with mine. Good Luck.
Asked by Bevian1 on 13th May 2014 Report this content
We recently bought the Havana corner sofa from next clearance but it came without the feet. We then ordered the feet through Next which we have received but there are two types of feet in the box but more importantly there are no instructions which to use and how to fit them. Could you tell me where I can find the fitting instructions for this sofa please? Many thanks