Cichlids Reviews

Media Gallery for Cichlids

Cichlids
Cichlids

“SEVERUMS: ”

Written on: 20/09/2006 by Helen of Troy (188 reviews written)

SEVERUMS:
These are beautiful fish of the cichlid family. In the wild they are a greenish colour but you can also purchase these in gold. I believe there is another colour but can't say I have ever seen any other but green and gold.
I had three gold Severums and one green. Unfortunately I lost them all last year due to a faulty heater. Until then I had the three gold ones for seven years, the green one I introduced a little later.

These fish can grow to about six or seven inches, about the… Read Full Review

E4Chin's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 06/11/2006

How come your review is expert!?!

E4Chin's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 29/12/2006

I did not know. Thank you; but don't blame us! The picture is courtesy of Emily!

Helen Of Troy's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 29/12/2006

I did not submit the picture, I just wrote a review about a type of cichlid, the Severum as per the heading Cichlids (type of fish).
<br/>Far prettier fish than the one in the picture, as are Oscars!

Lee2008's Response to Helen of Troy's Review

Written on: 28/12/2006

Hi there. Are you aware that the photograph used in your review is that of a Blood parrot fish? It is in fact a cichlid, but the worst possible example of a cichlid. It is a hybrid cichlid with no bi-nominal nomenclature (scientific name), first created in Taiwan in around 1986. It's parentage is unknown, but most commonly speculated pairings are midas cichlid (amphilophus citrinellus) with red devil cichlid (amphilophus labiatus) and the severum (heros severus).
<br/>
<br>Because this hybrid cichlid has various anatomical deformities, controversy exists over the ethics of creating of the blood parrot. Cichlid enthusiasts have called for their removal from the market and organised boycotts against pet stores that sell them.
<br/>
<br>The blood parrot is the Frankenstein's monster of the fish world.
<br/>
<br>I have been keeping Malawi cichlids for about 3 years with some success, after an unsuccessful attempt in keeping a saltwater marine aquarium with invertebrates.

Read 4 Comments

“I have 2 Tiger Oscar Cichlid fish. They are great...”

Written on: 28/07/2006 by e4chin (30 reviews written)

I have 2 Tiger Oscar Cichlid fish. They are great fish, and they have a definite personality and recognize you after a short time. They are VERY messy (most Cichlid's are), and they need a fairly powerful filter. When they eat, sometimes food comes out of their gills. When they are fully grown, one's filter should be a canister filter, because any filter that hangs on the tank will not have the umph necessary to clean the water quickly enough. They grow up to 30cm long, but as I have found with… Read Full Review

Written on: 03/09/2006

Can I also add - do not attempt to put any other fish in with oscars as they will readily eat them, they are members of the pirranha family. A Plec put in with adult Oscars should be of the giant variety, they are too hard for Oscars. They will also bite fingers put in tanks, drawing blood, so be wary if you have children. They need a tank of at least 4&#039; x 18" x 12" as they grow quite quickly, if put in tanks that are too small they will become deformed around the mouth area and remain stunted, as will putting too many in a tank. 2 or 3 at the most. Compared to many tropical type fish they are relatively easy to keep, Oscars recognise you walking past and know when it is food time, pretty amazing really when you think a fish is only supposed to have something like a 7 second memory span! Water should be changed 2/3 at a time and only needs to be done every 6 months or so if you manually remove the debris by syphoning over the stones on a regular basis.

Shotthedot's Response to e4chin's Review

Written on: 03/12/2009

Oscars are cichlids and the piranha is related to neon tetras (characin).Can you imagine an oscar with piranha teeth? i wouldnt put my hand in.I would reccommend using melafix treatment as a preventive measure and treatment against finrot,cotton wool growths, any white bacterial infections.Melafix is natural and is from melaleuca.Smells strong and is a natural remedy treated over a week or so then a 25% water change is reccommended.Good luck with ur tank.

Written on: 11/02/2007

Oh, you mean like an ice cream bar or a popsicle? Well, that would be once crazy Oscar; not that they aren't already crazy enough!

Written on: 29/01/2007

Umm, yeah. This one was a fancy "ice block". It was on a stick, but it had ice cream chocolate and assorted lollies and chocolate covering on it. Not good for fishes. Imagine an Oscar on a sugar hypo eh?

Written on: 27/01/2007

Pardon my stupid ignorant American-ness, but what is an ice block? I don't think it is a block of frozen water because that wouldn't foul up the water at all, so I am greatly confused.

Written on: 24/01/2007

I was over at a mates house once, and he has a 3 metre tank. It had 6 Oscars and 4 Red Claws in it. They all died one by one, then he eventually sold the Red Claws. But anyhow... As I said, I was over there and was helping him feed the Oscar, and I was at the time eating an ice-block; the Oscar jumped out and grabbed the stick and ate some of the ice block. We took a lot of water out so the water wouldn't foul too badly. It was funny.

Written on: 23/01/2007

I can just imagine! I know my Oscars will try to eat anything the right size and moves. I could almost feed them anything!

Written on: 23/01/2007

Oh, these were only small. 0.25 inchers. But one that did come out was in half, sort of.

Written on: 22/01/2007

Wow! Now that I'd like to see!
<br/>
<br/>The food is too big to pass through their gills whole, but they chomp on it, and it can sort of seep out of the gills that way, in tiny pieces due to their chomping on the pellets.

Written on: 21/01/2007

If the food is small enough it may pass through their gills. I've seen a 13" Oscar eat 7 wild caught Gambusia at once, and 3 passed through the gills.

Written on: 19/01/2007

Of course. I'd hate to imagine what would collect if I didn't! The Oscars are real messy eaters, and sometimes their food comes out of their gills; that is their little way of telling me that they don't like to food I'm feeding to them.

Written on: 17/01/2007

Yeah that's a good one. An hour's pretty typical for large tanks. Do you Syphon your gravel?

Written on: 17/01/2007

My Cichlids are doing just fine currently. The pleco died, but no other casualties since then. I keep my two Oscars in a 75 G tank with two Silver Dollars. They are all living happily, especially with the weekly water changes I give them. I change about 40% of the water each time, which takes about an hour to do.

Written on: 17/01/2007

If an Oscar was kept in a small 10 G tank whilst in a retail shop, then brought and put into a large, say 90 G tank, and a very good diet, it would grow faster than it normally would. But yeah, yours didn't do too bad.

Written on: 16/01/2007

I will tick off the guy who ran the Aquatic shop if I see him! It was him who gave me most of the information when I bought all the equipment from him years ago! Still, with the information he gave I still think my fish had a very good innings. He had taken in some Oscars with stunted growth at the time I bought mine, as the previous keeper had kept too many in too small a tank. Nothing whatsoever to do with cleanliness.

Written on: 16/01/2007

Interesting. But seven to eight years is about how long I had my Oscars. They were probably about a year old when I bought them, so if ten years is their life span, mine didn't do too bad! I may have underestimated their actual size, they could well have been 12" from tip to tip, but I didn't actually measure them! I didn't get advised to do water changes weekly, but my fish must have been happy, as they laid eggs!

Written on: 16/01/2007

Oscars are not part of the Piranha family, they are Cichlid's! Pretty much all Cichlid's, apart from Discus and Angels will rip up everything in your tank. If you must have plants, make them plastic, and either glue it to your glass bottom using special aquarium glue so they can't rip it up, glue gravel or lead to the base of the plant, so if it gets ripped up, it would just float back down. Oscars do not breed readily, or they would be much, much more cheaper, They start breeding fairly late for a Cichlid (around 2.5 - 3.5 years of age). A feeder goldfish 2 - 4 times a week for a large Oscar will greatly improve his colours. Live food simulates their natural habitat, and it also looks great when they hoover in their food. Feeder Guppies or White Clouds for smaller Oscars work great, but avoid Minnows, as they will rid your Oscar of his colour. Silver Dollars are not Cichlid's. They don't even resemble the Cichlid shape. And yes, they need vegetables in their food. BTW, Oscars grow to 14 inches, perhaps longer if in a huge tank with a PROPER diet and no fish to bother it, although not many would.

Written on: 15/01/2007

Helendydunn. Weekly water changes are a must, but if the tank is too large, eg. 300 G or whatever, 20 - 40% will do, so long as you do them perhaps every 2 weeks. Your Oscars died early and weren't very big for their age. They live 10 years on average, and should get 12" in 5 years on average, maybe a bit longer. More frequent water changes would prolong your Oscars life, and less water changes will cause a build up of ammonia and nitrates, thus stunting its growth. Fish get stunted by the amount of waste in their tank, not so much by the size of tank. An extremely large pet shop manager raised an 8" Pike Cichlid in a 17G tank because the water was VERY clean, with water changes done twice every week.

Written on: 30/11/2006

Yes they do love meat! I also sometimes feed them earthworms that I find in my front lawn. :d

Written on: 29/11/2006

I used to feed them frozen cubes. They used to suck them in then blow some out of their gills! Yours may be too big to enjoy them now. A little fresh cooked chicken they will devour happily!

Written on: 28/11/2006

I have never fed them bloodworms, but sometimes I feed them meal worms. I don't feed them brine shrimp either, because they just fall out through the oscars' gills.

Written on: 27/11/2006

The only greenery I was left with was a bit growing from a piece of floating bogwood. That fools them. They just can't get up and over to bite it!
<br/>Do you give them bloodworm? Mine used to love that.

Written on: 25/11/2006

My Oscars tore apart even the plastic plants. Now all I have in there are rocks and a bubble bar (how exciting). The plants I have in my tank now are free floating at the top. Now my Oscars have to hunt to get to their Cichlid Gold pellets. Making them think, I am.

Written on: 14/11/2006

Do the Oscars pull the plants out? I tried plants with them at first, but they kept destroying them! So I put in plastic ones.

Written on: 13/11/2006

Cichlid gold is the brand of food I use for my Oscars. The Silver Dollar's don't particularly like it, for they are more vegetarians. I can get some more plants for them to munch on for now.

Written on: 10/11/2006

Put in finer food! There's one I used to get called Cichlid Gold, and it comes in 3 sizes. Silver Dollars are Cichlids aren't they? I have never had them, so I don't know.

Written on: 09/11/2006

No, I mean my Silver Dollars are going to starve! I suppose I should go get more real plants, even though they don't last very long! I need my 2.5 inch Pleco to grow big really fast!

Written on: 08/11/2006

Get plastic plants?!

Written on: 08/11/2006

I have two Silver Dollars with my Oscars. They keep eating all of my plants and I don't have a Pleco, so I don't have a reason to throw in an algae disk, because the Silver Dollars can't eat an entire algae disk! What do I do!?!

Written on: 07/11/2006

Our eggs got to the stage where they were flittering, then the mother Oscar buries them. We think this is when the Plec had his feast because we didn't ever see them again! We had eggs from Severums too. Similar outcome though!

Written on: 07/11/2006

I must have two of the same sex because I have had them for about 3 years and still not an egg in sight! Before I got the Oscars, I had these other smaller Cichlid's (I can't remember what type of Cichlid they were) and they laid eggs, but my Pleco made a delicious meal out of them. That is why I got rid of those smaller Cichlids, because after that, they would gang up and attack the Pleco, although he didn't seem too fazed about it at all.

Still in their prime!
<br/>2 of mine decided to pair up and do the eggs thing, and I had to separate the 3rd from them as they were attacking him! They did 2 lots at different times but no hatchlings. The Plec may have eaten them we think. Apparently they breed very readily! Need better set up than we had though. The eggs need to be moved and we had no tanks spare.

Written on: 06/11/2006

Silly me. I completely skipped that question that you had posed earlier!
<br/>
<br/>My Oscars are about 3 - 4 years old now. They have gotten more lethargic now; and fat!

Written on: 30/10/2006

That's huge! More like swimming dogs! How old are your Tiger Oscars?

Written on: 30/10/2006

My two Tiger Oscars are about 12 inches long. I think one is 11.5 and the other is 12.5, but it all evens out.

Written on: 29/10/2006

How old and how big are your Oscars e4? My last one died last year, so I don't have any now. Started with 3 baby Oscars. They all died within about a year of each other, approx 7-8 years old. I guess old age, no idea of life span. They were about 8-9" long at a guess.

Written on: 07/09/2006

Danke

Written on: 07/09/2006

OK!! Respect given!! I liked your review!!

Written on: 05/09/2006

Thanks. I knew most of that stuff already but I learned a few new facts. I was too lazy to put some of those things into my own review. You should write a review of your own; upgrade your rank. give me some respect on my review. Click agree or something - I gave you a respect point on your McDonalds review.

Read 39 Comments