Kawasaki ZR7 750 Reviews

• Build quality

• Reliability

Kawasaki ZR7 750 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Kawasaki ZR7 750

“kawasaki ZR 7 (1999 to 2004)”

written by SeanVincent on 06/11/2014

I bought the ZR7 primarily, as a fun bike. I currently also own a 1987 GPZ 900 R and a 2000 Triumph Trophy 900. I am almost 50 yrs old and have been riding bikes for 33 years. I currently live in Germany and ride a daily 200 mile commute. I use the 900R and ZR7 all the time when the weather is good and it's not so wet and the Trophy when the weather is pants. The ZR7 has seen some bad press - usually by bike journos who seem to concentrate their efforts on modern and expensive sports exotica or BMW adventure bikes! I personally don't know why because for many of us in the real world of tight budgets it is a cool machine and it does everything it was designed to do perfectly. A 750 cc old school carburated four, with 76 BHP that can take it to 130 mph. Acceleration is spritely enough and the engine is very smooth throughout the rev range. I ride my commute at anything between 80 and 100 mph, depending on traffic (German Autobahns) and the bike deals with this easy. It's also surprisingly comfortable (I have, however, fitted an aftermarket Puig mini screen and I am 6ft 1" tall) and fuel consumption is good; somehere between 40 and 50 mpg depending on speed. Off motorways, the bike goes and handles well but it is not a sports bike and it doesn't handle like one. It has its limits and in tight bends the soft suspension will let you know when you are pushing your luck. Long sweepers can be taken at pace and the bike generally tracks pretty well and requires only moderate rider input. My ZR7 wears Michelin Pilot Road rubber and I am averaging about 10,000 miles on both front and rear; admittedly with the amount of autobahn riding I am doing they do get squared off, but its not drastic. I change oil regularly at between 4500 to 6000 miles and use semi synth 10 W 40 oil changing the filter every second oil change. The ZR7 is fairly well constructed and at 12 years of age with 18000 miles on the clock, mine looks surprisingly fresh. The blue paintwork is holding up pretty well and the plastics have not yet faded. I would recommend this bike to anyone who enjoys riding from novice to experienced rider.

“The last Kwak to use the redoubtable 650/750...”

written by Kimm742 on 17/01/2009

The last Kwak to use the redoubtable 650/750 air-cooled engine, a victim of ever-stricter emission laws and a public wanting ever-lighter and even faster bikes. A great middleweight tourer/general purpose bike which offers total reliability, easy servicing, relative economy and plentiful spares. The comparatively soft-tuned engine may "only" put out around 80bhp, but it's usable and accessible from way down the rev range. When the boy racers on their super-tuned 600 cc missiles have to change down 3 or 4 gears and put 10,000 rpm on the clock to go (great fun in the wet....) you just wind it open from 3,000, feel the front end lift, watch the speedo needle start to sweep upwards- and smile. Fit a front mudguard extension to keep the downpipes and crankcases free of grot, and a rear hugger to do the same for the back end, and that's about it. O.k your passenger will slide around a bit under braking, and it could really do with a 6th gear if you do a lot of high-speed or motorway work, but neither of these apply to me.
The ZR7 was never meant to be a mega-b.h.p ultra high revving boy racer; be realistic in what you ask of it, and it will do everything you ask, solidly and reliably and without fuss or drama every single time.

“The Kawasaki ZR7 ia a good all rounded bike for...”

written by on 30/05/2008

The Kawasaki ZR7 ia a good all rounded bike for commuting, touring and hard riding (not that hard until the front suspension rattles during corners). It fits all purpose and all environment.

“Here's my advice: Buy a Kawasaki ZR7 750. The...”

written by on 27/12/2007

Here's my advice: Buy a Kawasaki ZR7 750. The handling, the ride and the comfort are the best. A wide range of add ons is also available. Simply great!

“I bought it new (2003 model) in Jan 2004. It has been...”

written by dleels01 on 29/10/2008

I bought it new (2003 model) in Jan 2004. It has been my reliable companion on my frequent rides to Thailand from Penang, Malaysia. Easy to handle around town. Comfortable riding on long distance although at 160 km and above, the wind resistance is substantial.

“Very reliable, lots of storage under the seat, a good...”

written by on 21/08/2008

Very reliable, lots of storage under the seat, a good half-way point between a sport bike and a cruiser (closer to sport bike than the cruiser end). Getting around 48-50 mpg driving 65-70mph, and could easily handle a smaller sprocket on the back for a few more. Plenty of power even with two people on hills into the wind, handles well in traffic on the freeway, etc. I've had my 2000 since it was a year old (got it used). Its a good commuter or afternoon road trip bike and yet not out of place with the better mannered sport bike crowd. Suspension is softer than a full-on crotch rocket so doesn't corner fast as well but thats not the crowd I run with anyway.

Mugs's Comment

Written on: 03/10/2009

I found this review very helpful because...I am after zr 750 & the review was very helpfull indeed.....
<br/>
<br/> all the best..
<br/>
<br/> MUGS...

“I bought the Kawasaki ZR7 as a long distance commuter...”

written by Atky1062 on 03/07/2006

I bought the Kawasaki ZR7 as a long distance commuter bike, approx 50 miles per day. It was totally reliable over six years of ownership. It was surprisingly economical for such an old engine design and coupled with the big tank made an ideal commuter bike.

Driven all year round the finish held up well. Just some corrosion on the alloy components. The full stainless steel exhaust is a big bonus. The bike sounded great with a Blue Flame Race Can fitted and would lift the front wheel easily in first gear. General servicing was easy and it only needed the valve clearances adjusted once in 22,000 miles!

I would recommend the bike to anyone on a tight budget who needs a big commuter bike. I only sold the bike as a change in jobs ment I no longer needed it.

Mugs's Response to Atky1062's Review

Written on: 03/10/2009

I found this review helpful because...I am thinking of buying a 750 zephyr, i allhave a 550

“I bought the Kawasaki ZR7 as a long distance commuter...”

written by Atky1062 on 03/07/2006

I bought the Kawasaki ZR7 as a long distance commuter bike, approx 50 miles per day. It was totally reliable over six years of ownership. It was surprisely economical for such an old engine design and coupled with the big tank made an ideal commuter bike.