Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Reviews

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
3.2

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

“Some funny parts in this film, great actresses and...”

written by chez18 on 12/02/2008

Some funny parts in this film, great actresses and actors, u really have to watch the first one before you watch this so you know where your up too!!

“OK, the general concensus about this film seems to be...”

written by matt of bicester on 24/05/2007

OK, the general concensus about this film seems to be disappointment, and I can understand why. The first Pirates film was a breath of fresh air, combining a great storyline, brilliant one-liners and outstanding special effects. Having watched it several times on DVD I was really excited about the sequel.

My initial reaction when leaving the cinema was...could have been better. The main failing was the relatively slow-moving storyline, the way certain characters were shoe-horned in and the feeling that it was made as 'the one in the middle' (the last 10 minutes only serving to set up the start of the next film). The 'killing off' of Captain Jack also failed to have the desired impact as it's clear that they wouldn't leave him out of the last film.

BUT...having got the DVD at Christmas and watched it 3 or 4 times since, I can honestly say my enjoyment of the film has increased with each viewing. Every time I watch it I notice something new, such as a subtle joke, the expert swordsmanship or the little details in the animation of the clams on Davy Jones' ship. What I say to the critics is this...give it a chance to grow on you, forget the dodgy storyline and just enjoy it for what it is, a bit of fun for a Sunday afternoon. It certainly hasn't put me off seeing the last film. I actually think I'll enjoy no. 3 more because I'm not expecting to be blown away by the first visit.

“Firstly, I must say that I loved the first film so...”

written by rds1 on 02/03/2007

Firstly, I must say that I loved the first film so this film had very high standards to live up to for me.
I rented this film from a movie rental place (blockbuster) a couple of months ago and thought it was rubbish.
I think that it is a shameless money making venture because no genuine plot was offered up, just a lot of swash-buckling.
You got more drunken antics from capt. Jack Sparrow (which is not funny anymore), more walking around in mens clothes from Keira Knightly to show that she is a girl of substance, and more naive and optimistic bravery from Orlando Bloom, who happily wanders off to save his girl again.
I don't think that anyone could intelligently argue that this film is not rubbish, and that it is not a good film in its own right because it is not even trying to be.
There are countless references to the previous film: when bloom is looking for something (I couldn't for the life of me tell you what(?)) he goes to the island where Jack Sparrow has loads of 'lady friends' and one of the women goes up to bloom and says 'if you see him give him this for me' and slaps him round the face, this happens to Jack in the first film.
There are loads of jokes about the dog with the keys in the jail(like the last film)
there are loads of references from the crew of the black ship to the last film. etc etc etc.

Overall, this film is not really trying to be a good film in its own right, and I know a dog who could have written a better script, and the final straw is in the last scene. They are still trying to find a map or a key or something so a new captain for the ship crew is revealed as, Captain Barbosa, the baddie who died in the first film.
Far from being an interesting incentive to find out more in the next film, it has merely strengthened my resolve to not see the third film, and to tell everyone I can not to see it as well.
ps. I'm not normally an angry and highly critical person, but stuff like this annoys.

“Its nothing special, it's nothing compared to the...”

written by kevinsms on 16/02/2007

Its nothing special, it's nothing compared to the first one. In fact, it gets pretty stupid in parts and the end is just really really poor. I would save your money and watch The Departed instead or skip along to the cinema and watch Blood Diamond.

252776_Anonymous101's Response to kevinsms's Review

Written on: 19/02/2007

Thought the first film was great so I'm a bit disappointed that you thought the second movie wasn't up to much, I haven't seen The Departed yet either, thanks for the advice!!

“OK, so there I was Christmas morning with a copy of...”

written by Pacdwell on 03/01/2007

OK, so there I was Christmas morning with a copy of PotC:DMC in my chocolate-covered mitts. I strolled over to the DVD player to slip it in because:-
a) I was excited about seeing it, because the first movie was so good.
b) I had nothing else left to open barring socks.

However my excitement was short-lived, mainly due to the wife mentioning something about 'Christmas dinner' 'The kids' and not enough time.

So 12 hours later, after much toil, I finally managed to plonk the wife down in a semi-tipsy state (the wife - not me), and get on with 'The Show'.

About 45 minutes into the movie, I realised:-
a) The film was very similar (too similar some may say) to the first one.
b) I was starting to fall asleep.

About 1:15 hours/minutes I realised:-
a) The movie wasn't getting any better.
b) I was looking for the running time, as sleep was definately overtaking me.

A running time of 2:20 or thereabouts managed to coax me into bed at this point.

22 hours later - Now on Boxing day I walloped the DVD on again, but with much less excitement this time around. After managing to watch the next hour of the film, I was pretty miffed to find that it was no more than a filler film...for the next episode of the saga. Now call me old-fashioned but its own as a movie - this one doesn't.

The movie is still a good quality production. The actors act well, the effects are effective...it's just er...lacking something.

“I went to see Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's...”

written by jha07 on 29/12/2006

I went to see Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest because I loved the first one. What a disappointment. The plot was just plain stupid. If you loved the first one, go and see it, because there will be a third, and you'll need to see it to follow the story. Just don't have your expectations too high.

“My husband and I had a little disagreement about this...”

written by Helen of Troy on 11/12/2006

My husband and I had a little disagreement about this second Pirates film. I thought it was not as good as the first, he thought it was better. Therefore you will have to make up your own mind! This is a must for anyone who has watched The Curse of the Black Pearl and enjoyed it. The plot is a little more difficult to follow but is still very good. The ending leaves you wondering...........
Have to wait till the third one comes out in the springtime now!

Great film. Worth adding to your DVD collection.

“Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom are fantastic in Pirates...”

written by JaniePortugal on 12/08/2006

Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom are fantastic in Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, and they are the dare devils of the sea once again. Pirates Of The Caribbean is in two parts, concluding in part 3, which is out next summer.

Dead Man's Chest offers action from the very first scene. It is on for two and a half hours, but as the film it is very good, and it doesn't feel that long at all. I can't wait for the next part. I don't think it is as good as the original, but it is still a cracking film, and well worth seeing.

“If you watch intensely, and don't miss any of it, it...”

written by katy x on 08/08/2006

If you watch intensely, and don't miss any of it, it is a brilliant film. Miss more than 10 minutes of it and you'll be lost.

“A good film to watch and well worth waiting for”

written by emza2511 on 19/07/2006

A good film to watch and well worth waiting for

“Overall if you what a film to see this summer, forget...”

written by b98223 on 11/07/2006

Overall if you what a film to see this summer, forget about Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Go for a trusty animation, like Cars or Over The Hedge

“I can't say whether the decision to film Pirates Of...”

written by lexy1210 on 10/07/2006

I can't say whether the decision to film Pirates Of The Caribbean episodes 2 and 3 back to back is going to turn out to a good one. I have to admit that I left the cinema feeling slightly disappointed in the abrupt ending of Dead Man's Chest. However, on reflection, it is a totally different kettle of fish to the first POTC film. It is certainly a lot darker with respect to Captain Jack's character as he shows his more selfish pirate side. Elizabeth Swan also appears to have had a personality injection, and definitely not of the sweetness and light variety.
Despite this the film is still laugh out loud funny with excellent action scenes (which almost don't pause for breath) and some stunning special effects. The soundtrack is stunning and if experienced in a cinema the effects can be quite breath-taking.
I have heard some say that there is an over abundance of special effects in this film and with regard to the Crew of Davy Jones' ship I might have to agree.
I would recommend that you see this film but like me, try to reserve final judgement until May 2007 when the final installment is due for release. I hope that together they will make a film as good or better then the first movie.