Lancaster Classic Car Insurance Reviews

Lancaster Classic Car Insurance
1.8

Summary

Lancaster Insurance Services are one of the UK's leading specialists in providing classic car insurance. If you have used Lancaster Insurance then why not post a review and share your thoughts with other users?
Lancaster Classic Car Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Lancaster Classic Car Insurance

“I purchased a classic car policy and payed an extra...”

written by ieSilva1964 on 09/09/2023

I purchased a classic car policy and payed an extra fee for agreed value. After sending all the required photos I was told the valuation team had valued it slightly more than I had asked for but now they wanted to more than double the premium. The insurance company would now lower the value (less risk for them),not would the remove the "agreed value" portion of the policy. This left me with only 3 choices. Pay the extra 100% premium, cancel the policy myself and get NOTHING back (despite only 9 weeks of cover) or do nothing....in which case Lancaster would cancel my policy, and then I would have a cancelled policy against my name. So it's a loose, loose situation whatever option I choose. I feel this whole "over valuing" thing is just a money making sham as it's "win, win" for them every time. I will be making a complaint to the insurance ombudsmen as this is grossly unfair. Needless to say they have lost another loyal custom.

“Aviod at all costs”

written by james7125 on 30/10/2022

Terrible company to deal with. Ended up being charged the full year amount for 86 days cover after cancelling the policy due to sale of the vehicle. They only 'refunded' 6 months of the premium for 86 days cover and then the cancellation charge convieniently was exactly the amount of that 'refund'. Will never use for any of my vehicles again.

“Beware of this company”

written by ndMacKay242 on 28/04/2021

Beware of this company. I took a policy with them after going via an online comparison site. Not taking too much notice of the all the paperwork, they send loads (perhaps in order that some get overlooked) I should have gone through it all thoroughly, but after having countless car insurance policies over the years thought it would be a standard policy and agreement, plus none of these fees were explained or made plain when taking the policy out at quotation stage. Only after the policy is taken. SO CHECK ALL THE PAPERWORK Fees they charge £70 arrangement fee! 44.38 APR for paying monthly via direct debit. And a £30 fee for changing vehicle details midterm. I cancelled the policy when I sold the car, more fees!! Then as I did not pay within a few days I received a letter threatening legal action and passing onto a collection agency! My advice do not use them and go direct to insurers cut out these comparison sites. I recently took out a new car insurance direct with a company and it was cheaper and had more cover then any listed on the comparison sites.

“Disgusting service”

written by jotikaur on 07/01/2020

Completely disgraceful, cancel my policy half way through dye to house move with a secured car park but can no longer insure yet want payment in full for remaining 5 months. Plus extra charges. No breakdown given just demands . Telephone and promised solution but just got passed onto a debt collector.

Windsormark's Response to jotikaur's Review

Written on: 08/09/2021

I have the same problem, did the debt recovery agency contact you and did you have to make the payment in the end ?

Windsormark's Response to jotikaur's Review

Written on: 08/09/2021

“Broke FCA rules by not explaining what was happening”

written by leebragg on 05/07/2019

I took a policy out with Lancaster Insurance for £200 pound for the year. Took it out in April and after 3 months decided I needed a better car. On requesting a renewal they insurance jumped to nearly £1000 extra, double a quote I had from another company. So I decided to cancel my insurance. Due to the fact they told they sold me legal cover would be £5 pounds they never told me that this would be classed as £120 pounds of cover should I cancel. So on cancelling I was told that there would be no refund of any money coming back to me which is a blatant breaking of FCA rules on transparency. So to insure a 15 year old saab car for 3 months has turned out to be Approx £68 per month. This has cost more than the brand new Mercedes I brought at £52 per month. The woman was polite and understood my frustration. I am actually making a report to the FCA and watchdog (because lets face it why not) on this matter.

“basically they took my payment,then asked me questions...”

written by justicechaser on 15/04/2019

basically they took my payment,then asked me questions that would void my insurance.Then they gave me a refund after taking £48 off meTry phoning them is an ordeal in itself(30min wait)They tell you to complain to THEM about THEM stealng your money.AVOID AT ALL COST.They are not the cheap insurers they seem on Moneysupermarket.READ OTHER REVIEWS ON THE WEB ABOUT THIS COMPANY.They are shocking.All their positive reviews give 5out of 5,which in itself is extraordinarily unusual dont you think.AVOID AVOID AVOID AT ALL COST.

“Just been kept on the phone for 15 minutes waiting to...”

written by piangbut on 31/05/2018

Just been kept on the phone for 15 minutes waiting to talk to customer services at Lancaster Insurances. All I wanted to do was change the registration number on my car. after going through a million security questions I was told that for the one minutes work to change my registration the fee would be £30. This should not be allowed to happen. My car insurance only has 7 weeks left to run. The remainder of my policy is costing £30 to the end, and they charge me £30 to change the number for a minuses work. The policies might be good value , but the extras are too expensive. Be very careful.

Piangbut's Response to piangbut's Review

Written on: 02/06/2018

Hello.
Thank you for your letter received this morning. I am amazed to read how you say that you pride yourselves , by offering a high quality service to all of your customers, you obviously have not checked on any of the review centres to find out the real truth. Trust Pilot gives your company 2** out of 5, and the Review Centre gives 1.8 marks out of 5. Surely this falls short of high quality service. Everybody on these sites(including myself) appear to have almost exactly the same complaint.All these people cannot be wrong.I have 7 weeks left on my policy with Lancaster, which according to my reckoning amounts to £30.96, and you charge £30 to make a change on my policy.Absolute rip off. I certainly will never use your company again. Rip off are the only words I can think of.

Lovetomoan's Response to piangbut's Review

Written on: 27/07/2018

So you waited 15 minutes to get through and they charged you £30? Sounds like they are trying to pay for more staff so that you can have the 1st world problem of changing your private plate

“Worst brokers out there!! ”

written by btothec on 26/05/2018

Extremely unhappy with this company. I requested to cancel my insurance due to no longer having the vehicle. I was insured for a total of 21 days. My premium was £330 and I paid an upfront fee of £69 leaving £261 left to pay subject to interest for the monthly instalments. I received a bill for £159 to leave. This also included legal protection of which I never added on at the beginning. It looks as though they have added as much as possible. I have used many classic insurance companies over the years and never had this problem Lancaster Insurance are a bunch of rogues. If I remember I had a problem many years ago with this company and this has just reminded me. The reviews they have on their website is not actually a real review panel as I cant find access to leave a review. Also check out their score on reviews.co.uk

“APPALLING SERVICE - AVOID ! ”

written by rkWoodard302 on 21/02/2018

Appalling service .... I live in a property which has neither a drive or garage due to the property’s age. My classic car is stored over winter in a garage some miles from my home. In the summer I park it on a neighbours drive or in the private car park opposite my house. These were all facts Lancaster knew when I took out my insurance and paid them. They then sent paperwork for me to check some weeks after the policy started which was wrong. I rang them and only then was told the car wasn’t insured if it wasn’t kept in its storage garage - the underwriter had told them 16 days before but they hadn’t bothered to tell me- they were “too busy”. They then went off to check if my neighbour’s fully secure drive was acceptable - a week later and a full month after I’d taken out the policy they cancelled it AND THEN tried to charge me admin and cancellation fees I was told as a curtesy they would give me 7 days to rent a garage near where I lived ! This simply ridiculous You will also be sent demands for all sorts of declarations and other documents such as copies of your driving licence which you must provide orherwise they void the policy at your expense. None of these documents have ever been sought by any other insurance company before. You cannot speak to customer services - they don’t answer Avoid !

“Terrible company which may cost you dear...”

written by 123Allison on 04/09/2017

Lancaster Insurance was the cheapest quote for insurance after using a comparison site, I signed up online after answering many questions and proceeded to buy a policy paying in full £375 - I even phoned them up to confirm I was insured as I needed to pick up the [new] car. 3 weeks later I am in a lay-by trying to convince the police that I am insured, despite showing them I had paid Lancaster (online bank statement) my car was seized and impounded as they had cancelled the policy as my car was deemed 'too new' for them to cover it! I had to pay to get my car back, was fined and now have to declare that I have had an insurance policy cancelled when re-insuring costing me aprox £600 more - I am almost crying writing this... Please be careful if you entrust your insurance to them

“Incredible incompetence and zero customer service”

written by Scotty_Free on 16/08/2017

Any marketers out there could use this as an example of how not to treat customers! I had to cancel after a couple of weeks due to sheer incompetence in dealing with their process driven non-customer focus. Called their phone line - after the usual "your call is important to us" and several keypad presses for the correct department; told "our lines are too busy please hang up" Administration is an automation nightmare; several times after responding to "customer Services" department email it is clear that there has been no response because the automated emails requesting info etc keep coming. From this delay it becomes a farcical exhange where the company are still asking questions you answered two or three days before. Total incompetents!

“Rip off cancellation charges”

written by AraceliHoughton on 08/07/2017

I have just cancelled my policy after 4 weeks as I sold my car, I had to insure it as the car it on the public highway. They have just told me I can have a refund of £24.00 ! I thought I was hearing things, the policy cost £215.00 four weeks ago, now they only say I can have £24.00 refunded, after my partner took over the call as I have a migraine, they agreed to allow £49.00 as they told him the cancellation fee of £50.00 is actually discretionary, so will allow 50% back! In 20 years of being insured I have never come across so many charges as listed by the woman on the phone, the admin charge alone was £70.00! We will be taking this to the FCA also. When calling the company the automated telephone service wasn't working properly either, it would not accept my preference, I feel is not a reputable company. We will be reporting them.

“TOTAL RIP OFF”

written by 390Mahoney on 23/06/2017

My Premium for last year was 290 pounds, this year it went up to 408 for no reason. Upon selling the car mid term, the cancellation fees came to 158 pounds.

“Pressure sales”

written by SelahWade on 31/05/2017

Never spent so so long on the phone trying to get a quote (40 mins),trying to think of what extras they didn't try and sell me. Because I didn't want legal cover,breakdown cover,etc,sorry we're unable to give you a quote on a high performance classic. Ill stick with footman, all I want is insurance.

“Very Dodgy Company”

written by AVOID_LANCASTER on 30/03/2017

got a cheap quote from Lancaster insurance, few days later increased it, when I tried to cancel, then they added all the extras like cancellation fees ETC. then ended up paying three times more the original premium. And they created some kind of debt and keeps going up every week. I think this is how this dodgy company makes their money from "Cancellations". AVOID THIS COMPANY.

“Absolutely disgraceful”

written by BraydenNicholson on 17/01/2017

I joined almost a year ago shunning all the negative reviews. I even gave them a 5 star review but what a mistake that was! So I just got my renewal quote for x6 times more... Yes from over £300 to over £1800. Absolute no rhyme or reason. The girl said my car is too new... (It's 10 years old) and didn't have a clue... It was as if she was following a line from a whispering guide. I asked for more information as to why my policy had changed and she hung up. I was calm and polite throughout. It's shameful and disgraceful. GUYS PLEASE do not fall in the trap. They will beat your quote but down the line will hammer you and cause you so much grief. This will be reported to the financial authorities.

“the worst insurance I ever had,”

written by joeit79 on 12/01/2017

the worst insurance I ever had, never again, they lost 1 year of my no claim bonus, they were rude and charging lots of extra fees - stay away from them

“Cancelled claiming I'd not sent documents...3 times!!!”

written by on 30/08/2016

Absolutely woeful service from this slapdash outfit. I sent my documents straight away, then received an email saying my policy was due to be cancelled if I didn't provide the necessary information. I sent the documents a second time, to which they replied that they required further information which was not mentioned first time of asking. I sent the further information immediately, but was then sent an email telling me that my policy had been cancelled. When I called to explain how I was disappointed to have had such a poor experience and try to reinstate my policy (too generous a gesture considering their conduct!!), not a soul wanted to even attempt to remedy the situation. As an owner of 6 classic cars I thought I'd give Lancaster a try for one of them, but I will stick to Adrian Flux here on in, as I've never had any such problems with them. Avoid this broker like the plague; to call them amateurish would be paying them an enormous compliment.

“voided my insureance over something simple”

written by biHerndon171 on 26/08/2016

Having rebuilt my classic car to a high standard over many years i took great pleasure in making sure the car was put back on the road, and was insure correctly (or so i thought) having had a bout of bad luck my main car (subaru wrx)being stolen a coulpe of times, i told lancaster all about it, all seamed fine i paid and drove the car for the first time to my wedding. Only to find that when i get back from my honeymoon the have VOIDED the insurance and said i didn't disclose the details of the car theft..... (people broke into my house and stole the keys) etc lancaster only put it on once and not twice.... so voided the insurance. i clearely explained the situation to her over the phone. they Wont give me a refund and i Now have No insurance..... poor show from a poor insurance company.

“Don't insure with this company”

written by TyreeNapier126 on 20/08/2016

Cancelled my insurance because I would not join the SLK owners club - bunch of idiots DO NOT INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY

Asked by ken67 on 27th July 2018 Report this content
Do they deal with rainbow?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site