Family Investments Child Trust Fund Reviews

Family Investments Child Trust Fund - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Family Investments Child Trust Fund

Family Investments Child Trust Fund

“Great”

Written on: 08/10/2015 by Kelleyja71 (1 review written)

I have had two of my child's CTFs with Family Investments, one for almost ten years, and I am more than happy with the service, and growth, they have provided. Although the markets have obviously had their ups and downs (2008-2010 being the main "down" points) on average the fund my child has been invested in has growth well. In fact, after charges, over the last five years, the fund has grown by more than 5% per year - I'm do glad I didn't choose an interest account with Nationwide as I… Read Full Review

“Great for CTF and Child ISA”

Written on: 07/10/2015

I have 3 kids and I got the CTF cheque for the first child and set up ISA's for the other 2 kids. I spent a lot of time researching around for good funds with a solid company. Family Investments (not OneFamily) offer good accounts for my kids, great invenstment oppurtunitys and choices and what looks to be a good return for my investment. Reading the other reviews, it's worth saying this is a long term investment and as it's based on shares it's only sensible to understand that the value of… Read Full Review

“great”

Written on: 01/02/2015 by Jones256 (1 review written)

Originally chose nationwide ctf but transferred to family investments. Been 4.5 years and every time I have checked it of course has gone up and down but never below the amount we put in. I checked a few days ago and it has made over £200. Very pleased… Read Full Review

“Very poor performance ”

Written on: 21/11/2014 by Marklee7634 (1 review written)

I received my child's statement today and was very disappointed. The value seems very low and if I increase the payments over the remainder of the term I just get back what I have paid in. I think the Mount of charges they are applying to this account must be shocking. I understand from next year I will have the option to move the fund which I will progressing due to the poor performance from this company. … Read Full Review

“High charges mean poor performance”

Written on: 11/03/2014

Family Investments is fairly notorious for its high charges. Coupled with investment performance that is at best average, the result is poor returns. The company's marketing (mailshots, leaflets in magazines etc) seems to be aimed at entrapping large numbers of inexperienced investors. Typically these people will be saving relatively small amounts, making the impact of high fixed charges even worse.

I was one such inexperienced investor when I opened a plan with Family Investments; after years

Twosevenseven's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2015

Wow, I don't normally post items on these websites, but I realised that if I had read this I would have been completely mislead by incorrect information. So thought I would share my experience - and maybe some correct information that is pretty easy to get hold of via the Family Investments website or terms and conditions:

1. I have my account with Family and I am more than happy with the growth - on average, the fund I am in has grown by 5.3% per year after the charges have been taken - if I had been sitting in an interest account with Nationwide for that period I would have been lucky to get half of that.
2. The charges taken are a fixed percentage so they will be proportionate to the funds you have invested - the more they grow your fund, the more they get paid. So there is a shared interest there. Also, this means that the comment about it being worse for low value investments is absolute rubbish.
3. I also asked about charges to transfer and Family do not, and never had, charged for transferring to another provider.

Now that I have justified by decision, I am more than happy to remain with Family Investments, their service is excellent by the way. No complaints from me.

“Brilliant service ”

Written on: 28/08/2013 by Leed110 (1 review written)

I've dealt with Family Investments over a few years now had had a couple of products with them, I always get a good return on my investments and any problems the have sorted immediately with professionalism, there is not many companies out there like this any more and I've gone as far as recommending my family to use this company for there child's trust fund as well… Read Full Review

“hi i really dont like the policy of family...”

Written on: 01/03/2011

hi i really dont like the policy of family investment,they keep changing the rules but fail to apply it proper rules onto the customeraccounts,and keep delaying my investigation regarding the charges they have been applying on my funds.my fund is far less worth than the money i have been paying in,because their annual charges and other fund charges are very high which leaves the value of my accountr low,but they are getting the easy free money out of mu pot"!… Read Full Review

“I originally set up my CTF with santander. very easy...”

Written on: 17/01/2011

I originally set up my CTF with santander. very easy to do! Thats the good points over with. The fund was then transferred to Family investments. As yet i have had no paperwork and had to ring up for a statement to be sent. I cannot believe why trust funds do not come with a savings book. Now You have to post you cheques to them and prey that they get delivered by the ever failing Royal Mail. No wonder this countries on its backside. Choose an account where you can go in and pay… Read Full Review

Cupcake2013's Comment

Written on: 23/07/2013

This review is an absolute load of rubbish! I too set up my childs CTF with Abbey who then became Santander, this was also transferred to Family Investments, I received all my paperwork and signed up online, can view the latest transactions, statements & the value of the fund etc whenever I want to & as for paying in, couldn't be easier, I phoned them and arranged a one off DD to be taken (or you can arrange a regular one if you wish to do so) & when I paid in this time I done it through online banking & within 3 days it was in my childs account waiting to be invested!! I have twice phoned the Customer Care line to ask a question & they couldn't have been more helpful!

Read 1 Comment

“So far so good. We set up an account for our daughter...”

Written on: 14/04/2010

So far so good. We set up an account for our daughter just over 2 years ago and have been adding to each month plus using www.kidstart.co.uk so getting money back on purchases straight into her account.

We are int he plus and although its not an amazing return so far would any other account really be any better in the current climate?

Communication is good and we get letters giving a break down / when money goes in etc.

All in all we are happy!… Read Full Review

“I have 2 children aged 2 and 4 and must admit that...”

Written on: 31/12/2009

I have 2 children aged 2 and 4 and must admit that their trust funds have shown a loss over 2008 and much of 2009. However, having put in the maximum for both, they are now gaining good profits and long may it continue. One positive factor about when the markets were low and combined with a CTF of only a few years, you were able to accumulate more units which are now performing well. Good website and customer service too… Read Full Review

“The performance of this fund since inception is very...”

Written on: 16/11/2009

The performance of this fund since inception is very poor (in my opinion). I have invested the maximum allowance over the last 3 years for my 2 children and regret it. If it was possible to purchase shares in their names I would have been much better doing so and making my own investment choices on their behalf ... the markets are hard at present but thats why you trust your money to so called experts ... anyone can make money in a bull market, it is now when the ability of the fund managers… Read Full Review

“We transfered out of a with profits Child Trust Fund...”

Written on: 18/09/2009

We transfered out of a with profits Child Trust Fund with LV at the bottom of the market and joined Family Investments. Has worked out really well as the LV wasn't growing at a great rate (but being with profits wasn't loosing money). As it was LV closing all their accounts no Market Reduction Value was applied and we bought many more units in the FI fund than we would have done if we'd done it when the market was high. The overall value has gone up by 11% this year so far... not bad!
For all… Read Full Review

“I must make the point first that I've only one child...”

Written on: 15/07/2009 by son2005mark (20 reviews written)

I must make the point first that I've only one child therefore I've only opened one child trust fund and don't have any idea of how other child trust funds are doing, but I'm not really happy with my choice to invest my son's money into Family Investments child trust fund, Since opening with the governments £250 in July 2005 as of now (July 2009) the investment is only worth Approx £200! Yes I hear that these types of investment can go up as well as down but it dose not really make you want… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to son2005mark's Review

Written on: 13/08/2011

Get a job then and put money in for ur kid then u might see it go up

Read 1 Comment

“I have opened an account with Family Investments in...”

Written on: 21/05/2009

I have opened an account with Family Investments in November 2006 and i believe i have deposited to the value of &3800 which includes the government voucher and as of may 2009 it is only worth just less than &3000.
I regret opening an account with Family Investments Child Trust Funds… Read Full Review

“Family Investments Child Trust Fund has Excellent...”

Written on: 01/05/2009

Family Investments Child Trust Fund has Excellent customer service over phone. User friendly online access. Good choice of payment methods. Simple for family members to pay into account. The original 250 quid is now worth 143 quid, since investment in May 2004. However tthis is a stakeholder ctf and should improve vastly over the next 13 years… Read Full Review

“I have invested a total of £4,800 since inception of...”

Written on: 28/04/2009 by charteredbanker (1 review written)

I have invested a total of £4,800 since inception of a Stakeholder CTF Account with Family Investments. Its value today 28/04/09 is £4,200. I regret opening an account with them… Read Full Review

Son2005Mark's Response to charteredbanker's Review

Written on: 15/07/2009

I'd totally agree with this review it goes to show that your child's money could be safer else where

☆☆☆☆☆

“After 2 years in the Child Trust Fund scheme I phoned...”

Written on: 30/01/2009

After 2 years in the Child Trust Fund scheme I phoned to ask why my investment was less than I had put in. I was advised that the positive returns were at the the end of the term. After 8 years the value is 1 years contribution less than I have put in
If I had a savings account account at a low 3%, I would be 50% better off… Read Full Review

“I have twins and a small boy. Three separate funds in...”

Written on: 01/06/2008 by mdaley (1 review written)

I have twins and a small boy. Three separate funds in place started in 2006. The government vouchers were invested then a standing order for £10.00 per month for each child. Over this period the stock market has regained strength from a weak position. Over this period this fund has repeatedly shown a loss. It has actually cost me to give them my money… Read Full Review

Moogle's Response to mdaley's Review

Written on: 23/06/2008

I found this review unhelpful because...<br/>the reviewer's given it an overall ratingn of ten out of ten despite seeming to hate it!

Mqdaley's Response to mdaley's Review

Written on: 17/07/2009

There seems some confusion about the five stars. That was ment to be no stars but submited wrong. Read the review and all is clear....or should be. Just as an update I stopped the &pound;10.00 direct debits for each child at the end of last year. Recent statements show a loss of about &pound;100.00 on all policies. I do invest myself and you win some lose some but you should balance a portfolio to spread risk and falls are always opertunity for gains... at least in a managed fund. What I object to in this fund is the heavy and almost govenment backed promoting of what is and has been a complete mismanagement of childrens money.. it should be exposed and I hate the state of corrupt people and organisations that have zero integrity. What the hell has happend to principles and values ? Or am i just an idealist and greed and corruption is all we have left?

Son2005Mark's Response to mdaley's Review

Written on: 15/07/2009

This review made the same point as my review, they ask for extra investment and in the end it looks like your just going to lose it in the end as well! I totally agree with this reviewer! Although I am confused as to why the reviewer give an overall rating of 5 stars!

382051_Khgray's Response to mdaley's Review

Written on: 13/07/2008

In June 2006 my daughters trust fund was worth &pound;641.86, since then I have paid in &pound;10 per month by direct debit (just like I have done ever since we opened it up for her with the government voucher).
I was shocked to find after receiving her statement this year it is only worth &pound;670.86, it has only gone up by &pound;29 which means out of the &pound;120 I paid in it actually lost (wiped out &pound;91) that we paid in. I must admit I don't really understand stocks and shares but to lose that much money is really bad, yet they keep still sending out forms for me to 'up' the direct debit payments, I don't think so. I have in fact cancelled all payments until I find a better one to transfer it too.

Read 4 Comments

“Family Investments Child Trust Fund is an excellent...”

Written on: 13/09/2006 by mksmh (1 review written)

Family Investments Child Trust Fund is an excellent service. Friendly and approachable. History of family-based investments. Friendly Society - owned by their customers… Read Full Review