Explorica Reviews

Explorica - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Explorica

Explorica

“Hotel location in major city - too far. It took about...”

Written on: 05/07/2022 by rljbjg (1 review written)

Hotel location in major city - too far. It took about one hour and a half for round trip to the city. Food and restaurants poor

“HORRIBLE HORRIBLE Company!!!”

Written on: 23/05/2022 by Notafanofexperica (1 review written)

Our trip was canceled February 17, 2022 and I STILL DON’T HAVE MY MONEY BACK!!! They said they needed time to ‘hand process’ the refund request and it would take 3 months. My check was supposed to be refunded to my account on May 13 but instead they claim to have sent me a check in the mail. It was mailed from VA. It’s now May 23rd. I live in Maryland it should have been here by now. But they say it can take 3 weeks to arrive and that I cannot not request a replacement check until 30 days after they issue the first check. JUNE 12th… !?!?! Really.

“Horrible experience”

Written on: 07/03/2020 by TLMNY (1 review written)

Due to the corona virus, Explorica moved the trip out but refused to cancel on their side because that means they would have to give our entire trip a refund. Our school is NEVER booking with them again. Even those who bought the travel insurance aren't getting a full refund. I would NEVER recommend that anyone book their child and invest their hard earned money into buying a trip from this company. Horrible experience.

“Worst school tour ever with misrepresented itinerary”

Written on: 27/07/2015 by RondaStell (1 review written)

We returned from a trip to Boston and NYC of mostly high school students. We were to tour Harvard and MIT. At Harvard we saw the library steps, a statue, a gate, and the outside of a freshman dormitory. We saw MIT as we drove by. That's how we saw Central Park and numerous other sites on the itinerary, from the bus window. It was discovered near the end of the Boston leg of the trip that our NYC portion was self guided. Our Boston guide wasn't licensed to give tours in NYC. We finally got a new tour guide for NYC. The tour guides had no regard for the health or safety of anyone. A student became ill and had to fly home. The tour guide did nothing to help get the teacher back to our group after she escorted the student to the airport. In Times Square two girls got separated from there group, they texted the teacher, the teacher. found them. We were 2 minutes late to meet the bus, the guide fussed the teacher out cause the bus had to go round the block. She never asked if the girls were safe.

1Radar1's Response to RondaStell's Review

Written on: 04/05/2017

They just request another 20% after paying in full, no discussion with the school or teachers. They sent a URGENT email and called twice.
The school as of today has still not been informed of this request for extra money.

Explorica Tours sucks in my opinion.

“Money grabbers”

Written on: 31/12/2014 by BrileyDiaz419 (1 review written)

My Daughter's school is using Explorica Canada to book a trip to Italy and Spain. When we had the presentation from this company, the presenter told us that they offered a refund if you cancelled the trip. I understand there is a non refundable deposit of $195. This particular trip is May 2015. May daughter is no longer going on this trip. We cancelled on December 30th. The trip is over $3,000 which I do think is a good price. I have just been informed that I now have to pay a $500 cancellation fee and then there is the $195 non refundable deposit then there is the travel insurance that I apparently checked off that I wanted when booking this trip on line. If you cancel in more than 140 days you only have to pay a whopping $300 cancellation fee plus the $195 deposit. I cancelled at the 136 day mark so I am paying the $500 fee. They have let me know that they will not charge me the extra $200 I owe. At the end of it all, if you are booking with this company beware. You cannot cancel as easily as they tell you in the presentation. The customer service is terrible. They just want your money. If this review can help one person I will be happy.

“THE WORST EVER!”

Written on: 11/07/2014

OUR DAUGHTER GOT HER PASSPORT STOLEN THE DAY BEFORE A SCHOOL TRIP TO EUROPE AND THEY DIDN'T WANT TO RESCHEDULE THE TRIP EVEN THOUGH WE PAID FOR THE INSURANCE. WE WANTED TO SEND OUR DAUGHTER TO EUROPE BY OUR OWN EXPENSE AS SOON THE NEW PASSPORT ARRIVED AND WENT TO THE AIRPORT TO ASK FOR THE AIRLINE TO KEEP THE RETURNING TICKET FOR HER TO GET HOME FROM EUROPE AND THEY TOLD US THAT EXPLORICA WAS THE ONLY ONE COULD DO IT SINCE IT WAS A GROUP BOOKING. SO WE CALLED THEM BACK IN FRONT OF THE AIRLINE AGENT AND AFTER A LONG COMVERSATION VIA PHONE THEY AGREED TO KEEP THE RETURNING TICKET. AFTER TWO HOURS THEY CALLED US BACK TO TELL US THAT THE AIRLINE TICKET SAID THAT THEY COULDN'T DO IT. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! THE AIRLINE AGENT TOLD US IN THE AIRPORT THAT WE HAVE TO BE VERY STRONG WITH THEM BECAUSE THEY WILL STILL GET THE MONEY BACK FROM THOSE UNUSED PLANE TICKETS AND THEY WILL NOT REFUND US ANYTHING.

“Worst travel trip ever. Never go with Explorica”

Written on: 17/06/2014 by JonasMacKay298 (1 review written)

This is by far the worst service ever received. On our first day of arrival for our Washington DC and New York trip, we were stuck at the airport for over 4 hours waiting for a bus. The first hour and a half we waited for a bus that was late. When the bus arrived it broke down as we entered we waited another hour before they told us they are going to send us another bus. It is irritating spending this money only to be taken a day off our trip waiting for them to fix our transportation situation. We flew from California and we spent more time waiting at the airport than our trip itself. Might as well have turned around for this wasted trip. Never go though Explorica

“Food was terrible and hotels tiny”

Written on: 01/06/2014 by MarissaFitzsimmons397 (1 review written)

Just returned from a high school tour of Spain and France with Explorica. The food was terrible. We would walk through town past many affordable restaurants to eat at some hole in the wall that had an agreement with Explorica and the food was awful. Plain yogurt was dessert one night. Breakfast at one hotel was two pieces of bread. If we had been allowed to pay for our own meals like we did with lunch we could have had a much better experience with cheaper restaurants featuring local food that actually tasted good. We were told we would have a day on our own in Paris so we planned to catch a cab to the Catacombs. Instead our guide walked us all over the place, did not understand the subway system and we wasted time in the wrong line at the museum. By the time we got out of there it was a 2-hour wait to get into the Catacombs so we had to miss it. I felt that the tour guide did not know about France, she got us lost and walked us all over the place for no reason. We were promised pictures on the tour diary and they were a couple of group shots. The hotels were out of the way and had terrible ammenities. One had little or no hot water, another the power went out for the whole floor of the hotel. Again, these places all make deals with Explorica which is fine, but Explorica doesn't need to feed kids garbage and think they won't know any better. The best meals on the trip we paid for ourself at lunch time. The whole thing reminded me of a cruise. We went to places that obviously had deals with tour companies to bring customers in. The Toledo steel factory, and other places like that. The kids did get to see some neat sights but it was obvious Explorica was getting plenty out of the deal.

“Two Trips and counting!”

Written on: 06/10/2013

Two trips to Costa Rica...so far. I'd totally recommend this company to anyone. The pricing is very reasonable for all you get. Our tour guides are local with numerous contacts everywhere we went. Safety was never a concern. The hotels have been good - some less and some ridiculously awesome! I've appreciated the help they give along the way: answers to questions, power points to show, posters to put up, etc... The online ability to pick a trip and customize it is very cool. Collecting & hanging onto tip money is stressful - I'm glad they now offer the option to include it in the parents price & I'm out of it. Go on an Explorica trip!

Amanda.martin.7509's Comment

Written on: 26/06/2014

What were the ages of your travelers? Do you happen to remember the names of the hotels in which you stayed?

THANKS!

“Superior personable service”

Written on: 02/07/2013 by LeslieWilkie (1 review written)

I have worked with this company since 2004 and have received excellent service and value. Explorica works with me and my students to provide a safe, educational, and fun tour experience. I have toured NYC, Boston, London, Paris, Rome, and Puerto Rico with Explorica and have never been disappointed! I recommend Explorica for all your student travel! Well done Explorica!

Johio's Response to LeslieWilkie's Review

Written on: 21/10/2013

LeslieWilkie: what school do you work for? Would you be willing to field some additional questions? Thanks!

Lesliewilkie's reply to Johio's Comment

Written on: 23/10/2013

I work at Dickinson High School. What questions do you have?

Read 2 Comments

“Very good experience at a good price”

Written on: 02/05/2013 by marcos51 (1 review written)

I changed to explorica after the company I traveled with (4 times) raised their prices quite sharply. I was a wary, as I was very happy with the quality of the company I had worked with, but decided to give explorica a try. Explorica delivered the same quality or better on everything, 20 - 25% less than the other company. There were a couple of less than stellar meals, and I am concerned that Explorica seems to have a lot of turnover (two people with whom I worked on planning left the company). But I was impressed with the excursions, hotels, guides and communication. I've read some very negative things (and some positive), but my experience was very good, and my students had a great time. I am planning another trip with them.

Johio's Response to marcos51's Review

Written on: 21/10/2013

Marcos51: WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO FIELD SOME ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? PLANNING A SCHOOL TRIP! THANKS.

Read 1 Comment

“i undertsand that there are many happy custumers...”

Written on: 21/04/2013

i undertsand that there are many happy custumers however, the custumer service is horrible, i pays over 2,000 after i couldnt pay anymore and they havent given me my money back even after i bought insurance!!! till this day im still fighting over my money. never doing this again.

Johio's Comment

Written on: 21/10/2013

did you ever resolve your issues? Did you receive a refund?

Read 1 Comment

“I've read the negative reviews; must add my 2 euros :)”

Written on: 10/04/2013 by JoePa (1 review written)

I am French/Spanish teacher and have been taking groups to Europe since 1981. I started with CHA and now travel with Explorica. I believe this summer will be my 6th tour with Explorica. I go about every other year. We all know these are not five-star tours. Not for these prices! I believe many of the problems and complaints I have read about here could have been avoided or at least minimized by having a group leader who had done his/her homework. I felt it was my responsibility to have read the "fine print" until it was practically memorized. Then I tell my travelers what to expect. And more importantly what not to expect. I pay a little extra for centrally located hotels. It is worth the price. I agree -- nothing worse than spending all day in transit. As far as meals go, I have been disappointed on occasion, but I have been very pleased more often. On all my tours with Explorica I remember only 2 meals that were simply unacceptable. In the early years of my travel the meals were more regional and unfortunately many went uneaten despite my encouragements to try something different. The student travel companies have in fact "Americanized" some of the meals slightly. But as someone already posted -- that is the joy of having lunch on your own. I recruit fairly large numbers (next June--41)so I pay for a private tour. My consultants have been most accommodating. For example my tour to London, Paris, and Amsterdam had us eating two Hard Rock Cafe dinners. I felt the original one in London was enough so I was able to substitute the one in Amsterdam with a traditional Rijsttafel dinner. I also love how Explorica makes it possible to design your own itinerary. I added an interactive Globe theater workshop, a Jack the Ripper night tour and more. The Tour Guides have gotten better and better each trip. I did have one who did read his green Michelin guide on the bus as we approached a city, but generally they have been very, very good. On my last trip to Spain, Portugal,and Morocco, our guide Antonio Requejo was absolutely fantastic. He could not do enough for us. If you are going to Iberia I suggest you request him. I have had the best local guides as well with Explorica. Several we just wanted to tip and tip some more. But I go back to a previous comment -- if the group leader prepares the students well and they are interested in what the guide is teaching they will thrive off each other. As far as price increases, my tour this year was quoted at 25 travelers. Since I surpassed that number the price was REDUCED $111 and everyone is being refunded the money. I haven't read much about flight itineraries. In the past I have had some very crazy ones. This year we are flying directly from JFK to London and arriving at the reasonable time of 8:30 AM. So in conclusion I would recommend Explorica to my colleagues as long as they realize they have some work to do in preparing their travelers as well.

Akflygirl's Response to JoePa's Review

Written on: 11/10/2013

Thank you! This has helped immensely!

Johio's Response to JoePa's Review

Written on: 21/10/2013

thanks so much for all this great detail!

Read 2 Comments

“Explorica Does It All!”

Written on: 12/03/2013 by skinnerp (1 review written)

Our 2014 East Coast Trip will be our 5th trip with Explorica. Every trip seems to get better. I used other student tour companies that were all fine, but I felt I always receive more from Explorica for the money. We used to do 4 day trips that we can do 7 days with Exploricia. We travel every two years. I do very little advertising other than set up a meeting and put out a few reminders. The previous travelers come back all excited about their trip and line up my group for the next trip. In 2012 we had 92 participants. In some cases it was a three-generational trip with child, parent and grandparent joining our group. Explorica does the rest. The one thing I was worried about was collecting the money. With Explorica that is not my worry because everything is set-up on line with three payment plans. If there are any concerns, the Explorica staff is there to help. Tour guides like Bryce and Mike help complete the trip. We have so much fun that we forget how much we are learning at the same time. Explorica has made me a believer so I plan to stick with them.

“I love this company!”

Written on: 01/03/2013 by Karen_Miller (1 review written)

In 28 days, I am leaving with my students on my third trip with Explorica. I have never worked with a student travel company that is so personal. Explorica has great customer service and fantastic tour consultants. I have had customized tours and asked for things that were not on any itinerary added for me. I have never had a problem on tour and the guides have always been very knowledgeable and deal well with children. I can not think of one thing that I have had an issue with with this company. They are simply fantastic!

Lindsin's Response to Karen_Miller's Review

Written on: 19/11/2016

Do you still travel with this company? I've read many bad reviews and am struggling with committing my high school tour to this company. Any recent feedback would be helpful.
Thanks

Read 1 Comment

“They Always Surpass Expectations”

Written on: 28/02/2013 by Joncjm (1 review written)

I have travelled with Explorica five different times. The individualized attention that their prograam consultants provide is invaluable. In addition, they have many outstanding tour directors to lead your tour. I have been approached by other tour companies to switch but I felt like I was a number rather than an individual with them. The price and quality of their tours can not be beat. Every tour has been amazing and then some. If you pick Explorica, you will have an amzaing experience from start to finish.

“Go with the BEST!”

Written on: 28/02/2013 by ellen_teach (1 review written)

After several terrible experiences with two other touring companies, I went on a trip with Explorica. I shared my previous problems and made sure they understood that I would move on if they didn't meet my expectations. Not only were my expectations met, they were exceeded in all areas! I have traveled with Explorica for several years now and will continue to do so. I still check their competitors for pricing, and when I have found a price that is less (comparing apples to apples) Explorica has always beaten it. Two years ago we traveled with a student who was wheelchair bound and Explorica went out of their way to make sure that the young man was fully accommodated. Everyone I have met, talked to, or worked with at Explorica have been exceptional. This is a company that truly gives your and your students the most bang for the buck.

“Authentic experiences, easy on teachers”

Written on: 25/02/2013 by booorak (1 review written)

They offer more, authentic experiences for a better price, than any of the competitors I’ve shopped including ACIS, EF etc. Their program coordinators and tour directors are knowledgeable and responsive to the desires I have had for my various tours. The ability to do everything online from tour customization to registration and payment makes my life so much easier as a teacher, and they continue to do more with technology all the time. When issues have come up, they have always responded and taken steps to make things right.

“Excellent student tour company”

Written on: 24/02/2013 by TravelingTeacherSD (1 review written)

Having travelled with many companies, I can whole heartedly endorse Explorica. From the moment I began the journey with Explorica I was personally connected to one person at the local office. I knew her name and she knew mine and my needs. The hotels nearly all exceeded my expectations. In the chance one didn't, Explorica made up for it on tour! Student tours are not luxury experiences by any company and yet we stayed in hotels and at at restaurants I have been to before on more expensive adult tours. I have taken over 150 people to Europe on tours and Explorica is by far the best tour company. We had fantastic flights, great meals, friendly tour director who made the experience even better with her games and fun events along the way. When problems came up, they were handled quickly and easily. Unlike my experience with a previous, high profile company. I will be traveling with Explorica again this summer and in 2014. There is just no comparison in my book. My personal reputation is on the line and I trust Explorica.

“Trip of a lifetime!”

Written on: 23/02/2013

Our trip, from start to finish, was smooth and enjoyable. The hotels were good. I love that some were family run and we got to meet the owners first hand. The guides, especially our tour director, were outstanding. We always felt safe, well fed, and well informed. Despite rain hitting us for multiple days in Athens, we truly experienced Rome and Athens and it will impact our students for a long time to come. This is the first tour that I've led with Explorica and now I can't imagine doing it with another company.