Bel Canto DAC-1 Review

Russell Lichter.'s review of Bel Canto DAC-1

“The rating I give the Bel Canto DAC-1 is somewhat...”

Written on: 24/03/2000 by Russell Lichter. (1 review written)

The rating I give the Bel Canto DAC-1 is somewhat abitrary for several reasons.
I have had opportunity to compare it with only a couple of other DACs, so there
may well be other units out there just as fine. More importantly, the amazing
performance of this DAC opens up the question of what constitutes a well designed
DAC? Is it the upsampling to 96K? The dithering to 24 bits? The relatively high
frequency of the digital filter (48K)? The very expensive precision components? The
isolation of ground planes? The compactness and short signal path runs? The latest
chip technology? The elimination of the typical PLL and reclocking circuitry? I don't
know, and possibly neither do Bel Canto. They did a lot of things right, and had the
advantage of the latest chipsets. The result is a stunning improvement in definition
and detail and imaging, not the typical subtleties one struggles for with a new
piece of electronics. Highly recommended.

Sscharbach's Response to Russell Lichter.'s Review

Written on: 23/01/2004

I own a Bel Canto DAC 2.0. My experience is consistent with what I read in the review.
<br>
<br>My Bel Canto reduces the "graininess" of most of my CDs (some are just beyond help), noticeably sweetens the sound of strings and improves the detail of the sound without making it harsh or overly analytical. I have Magnepan speakers, which readily reveal nasty sounding CDs. The Bel Canto really improves the sound and makes listening much more enjoyable.
<br>