Mercedes Benz C Class 180 Elegance Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Davstew's review of Mercedes Benz C Class 180 Elegance

“I purchased a new Mercedes Benz C180 Elegance in May...”

Written on: 28/01/2004 by Davstew (1 review written)

Looks Good

The most expensive purchase error I have ever made.

General Comments
I purchased a new Mercedes Benz C180 Elegance in May 2001 for €45,000 after waiting one year from placing my order. A few weeks after taking ownership of the car a noise began in the steering. I returned to my Mercedes dealer on numerous occasions to be told there is no fault. Yet the noise persisted. I returned again to the dealer and this time the head mechanic drove the car and heard the noise. I was told upon inspection that the steering column contained a hairline fracture and would need to be replaced. Thankfully this was done under warranty. Approximately a year later I had problems with the indicator and tail lights. Eventually these were sorted again under warranty. Within the last few weeks my electronic keys have failed to open or start the car. I was told the problem lies with the keys (although I do have a spare key that has never been used). My dealer took the car in and seemed to have sorted the problem for me. Alas the problem reoccurred on the 26/01/04 and I had to have my car towed. My dealer ordered new keys for me (they are expensive)but has now told me that it doesn't look like the problem lies with the keys but with the ignition. So now I have another fault. My C180 has after two years and eight months driving only got 14,983 miles on the clock. I took the liberty to ring the warranty manager in Mercedes and voice my annoyance especially since none of these faults will be covered by warranty. He stated "sorry but there is nothing I can do, you can write as many letters as you like to complain, but there is nothing we can do". I did also state that I was hoping to upgrade to the new E class but based on my experience with the C180 I have changed my mind. The warranty manager took this with a pinch of salt and stated, "you could tell me you were going to buy two but I still can't do anything for you". I was left fuming and with the feeling that Mercedes have my money so nothing else matters. In my opinion this is the worst car I have ever bought new. As yet it is still not sorted. So think long and hard before spending your hard earned money on the C180. By the way my keys were 111's. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has had similar problems.

• 2001

Year Manufactured