Fuji Finepix F601 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

delmarine's review of Fuji Finepix F601

“I bought this Fuji Finepix F601 camera mid 2002 and my...”

Written on: 09/12/2003 by delmarine (2 reviews written)

Light, stylish, good pic quality, easy interface with PC, very good software package. rechargeable litium-ion battery, quick charge

landscape pictures not its best point. Only 16MB card supplied

General Comments
I bought this Fuji Finepix F601 camera mid 2002 and my first thought was at £550 (as it was then) it was very cheap of them to supply just a 16mb memory card. I immediately bought a larger card - after reading reviews that fuji's own cards often caused camera to lock up i bought 2 cheap 64mb cards that have worked with no problem at all.

Features are excellent with easy pc connection and very user friendly software to download the pictures.

Picture quality is very good. However, landscape pictures showed the horizon to have a definite curve to it no matter what level of zoom i used (including setting camera at maximum wide angle).

The macro feature produces good results but pretty hopeless without a tripod or monopod no matter how steady my hands feel!

I have never managed to remove this problem except by retouching with paint shop pro 8 (very easily done) though at the price paid I really shouldnt have to do this.

The buttons are organised ok, but are a little fiddly for my hammer fingers! The joystick-type control on the back is a brilliant idea but its easy to move it the wrong way as it is very small.

I do like NOT having to change batteries, and the easy charge docking system means i dont have to as does the plug in charger - excellent feature!

I am now moving on to another camera as my partner is very taken with the fuji, and whilst the camera has been excellent, i still have a yearning for an slr-style shape, with more defined , larger buttons, more suited to larger fingers.

Its original price of over £500 I paid as it seemed the best available at the time for the maximum i was willing to pay. However times change and not only is the camera down to around 1/2 that price now, but better cameras are available still cheaper than its original price.

I am looking at another fuji - but should i decide to buy the S5000 - at the first sign of curved horizontal lines its going back!

• Image Quality