Ford Focus ST 2.5 (2006) Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

FFOC1's review of Ford Focus ST 2.5 (2006)

“Having read through the other reviews of the Ford...”

Written on: 24/07/2007 by FFOC1 (2 reviews written)

Engine.
Seats and cabin quality.
Handling.
Performance.

Fuel economy.

General Comments
Having read through the other reviews of the Ford Focus ST I thought I should add my own comments.

First up - my ST 2 is a black, 3 door version running on a Stage One Bluefin which I am reliably informed outputs some 256bhp, it's now covered approx 16,800 miles and I have just decided to trade it in for a 2007 ST 2 in performance blue (5 door).

I have owned a couple of performance cars prior to the ST but nothing which was in this league performance wise. First up the car handles very well regardless of the speed, it strikes a great balance between handling and comfort without compromising either, the torque delivery is fantastic regardless of the gear and in this respect I would add that the Bluefin by superchips adds considerable grunt to what is already a great engine.

In terms of economy I have used the ST regularly on Motorways and the very best I have managed in terms of economy is 29mpg, saying that I didn't buy the car with economy in mind, for those who are concerned I have averaged about 24mpg when driving around town.

In real world terms the ST is a great car, I have driven the Focus RS which is really best placed on the track and also the new Honda Civic Type R which is a great car but in my opinion is no real match for the Focus ST in terms of performance although the handling is excellent.

One final foot note though is that from what I have heard the 2007 ST has an up-rated Intercooler which has allowed Superchips, Code Red etc to produce engine management upgrades which allow a power increase on the standard set-up to 270bhp to be achieved, having used the bluefin on the 2006 version I can believe this which begs the question why are Ford not producing a standard version which can match this?

In summary an excellent all round car with a performance which few can match.

• 2006

• Practicality

• Reliability

Degbert's Response to FFOC1's Review

Written on: 25/07/2007

I saw the Top Gear review of this and even Mr. Clarkson (ok he has a soft spot for his GT, so perhaps there's some pro-Ford here) was brimming with enthusiasm about the performance and handling.
<br/>
<br/>But, like him, I can't fathom why the flourescent Orange was pushed quite so heavily in the initial marketing campaign. Many folk prefer their power to be more understated and I can't help but imagine (even though other colours are available) that this attempt to be a bit hip and trendy was a bit of an own goal, and limited those who might be tempted.

439439_Gaffer1's Response to FFOC1's Review

Written on: 09/02/2009

I think the type R GT is out of the ST's league! Obviously an owner or fan of the type R which I agree is a capable car, although still underpowered as modern hot hatch. The ST is more than capable of embarrasing the R GT..... think Honda seriously need to re-think their engine philosophy before they get left way behind from only 4 or 5 years ago leading the pack!

Analysis's Response to FFOC1's Review

Written on: 28/10/2007

Nice Review. The Type R Comment miffed me though. While both cars are similar in terms of performance, the R is more thrilling in a straight line (and round bends) for true performance car enthusiasts. Also, it looks better, is better built (inside and out) has better residuals, desirability and fuel efficiency.
<br/>
<br/>Feel free to compare the ST to the Golf GTI, the Megane Renaultsport, The Leon Cupra even the Mazda 3 MPS - it should be compared to these cars. The ST is a very good value for money performance car, but comparing it to the New Type R GT, well that's just wrong! the R is way out of the ST's league and beats comprehensively more expensive rivals such as the Golf R32 and Audi S3.
<br/>
<br/>Honda built a legend of a Hot hatch!! better than anything else for a bargain price (if you avoid the options list) no contest - simple as that!