Fitness First Review

fatandgrumpy's review of Fitness First

☆☆☆☆☆

“I have just succeeded in extricating myself from...”

Written on: 24/07/2007 by fatandgrumpy (1 review written)

The contract that you hold you to is abysmal.

General Comments
I have just succeeded in extricating myself from Fitness First. It has taken SEVEN months. I was a member of the club for two years. At the beginning of January this year I provided a months notice as stipulated in the contract. However, Fitness First claimed that as I had started the month, i.e. I gave notice on the 2nd January, they still insisted I had to pay for the whole of February as well. All correspondence I received from Fitness First managed to get my name (and gender) wrong, my address wrong and it was only through luck that I received the letters at all. Within three weeks of refusing to pay the February payment I began to get strongly worded and thinly veiled threatening letters from their head office. Numerous conversations later I discovered that further letters had been sent to my old address (despite informing them I had moved on three separate occasions.) My account, which they claimed was overdue by £41.50 (for February) had been sent immediately to a debt recovery agency who then sent through extremely threatening letters and upped the amount to £66.50. Further telephone calls and correspondence ensued. Finally last week I received a letter (again wrong name, and gender, sent to my old address) from a solicitor informing me that I was to be taken to court with the threat of a CCJ being put on my credit file. Thank God the people who moved into my old house are so helpful! Admitting defeat (and not wishing to risk a CCJ!) I finally paid up for February, that is, for a service I hadn't used. I leave it up to you to decide whether you wish to join a company that behaves in this manner.

252776_Anonymous101's Response to fatandgrumpy's Review

Written on: 25/07/2007

Fantastic review, many thanks, some useful info!

330117_Theriandor83's Response to fatandgrumpy's Review

Written on: 10/12/2007

I found this review helpful because... i am just about to sign up with fitness first, but i will be sure to speak to some existing members before signing on the dotted line - i will also check the tick boxes if i choose to go with a reduced fixed term contract

Degbert's Response to fatandgrumpy's Review

Written on: 26/07/2007

Much obliged Chrisyuk - yeah it strikes me as a little odd, and is horribly reminiscent of other "credit agreements" you see from furniture stores, car dealerships, even mobile phone companies... I will take extra care, nice idea about looking at the independents. Thanks!

Chrisyuk's Response to fatandgrumpy's Review

Written on: 26/07/2007

hey deqbert, hot tip for you, most of the 'big boys' in this industry use some kind of tricky contract, some will try and get you to sign a loan agreement ( but why do you want me to sign a loan agreement, i want to join a gym ? oh, don't worry about it, it isn't REALLY a loan agreement...... ) be very careful mate. Never sign up on the spot, go home and read it, you have 14 days to back out of it from when you sign anyway ( they won't tell you that ) and if it says loan agreement, it IS a loan agreement. Check out the independents in your area, usually more friendly, sincere and better. Good luck mate.

Degbert's Response to fatandgrumpy's Review

Written on: 25/07/2007

I meant to say helpful not unhelpful. My family is looking around for a gym membership so we'll steer clear of these guys!