E & L Wedding Insurance www.eandl.co.uk Review

LunaMoon's review of E and L Wedding Insurance www.eandl.co.uk

☆☆☆☆☆

“In early March 2007, I had an accident with my wedding...”

Written on: 04/06/2007 by LunaMoon (2 reviews written)

Cheapest Wedding Insurance quote.

Terrible customer service, with staff who have a can't be bothered attitude. Totally unsympathetic and caused (still causing) unnecessary delays in paying out for my claim.

General Comments
In early March 2007, I had an accident with my wedding dress and tore it at the front. I called E and L Wedding Insurance on the 16th March 2007 to request a claim form, and it never appeared. I rang to request it again, and the member of staff suggested I get a quote for a replacement dress. I told him that my dress had been discontinued. He said if I got a confirmation email from the supplier confirming that fact, then that would be fine, and they would refund the cost of my dress providing I had all the receipts. The claim form turned up on 26th March 2007. I impressed upon them in the claim form that I was getting married in June 2007, and I needed to get another dress, which I couldn't afford to do until they paid out. I sent the form back that same day; with all receipts and the supplier email confirming that my dress had been discontinued.

They replied on the 4th April 2007 stating that they wanted me to take my dress to a seamstress and get her to assess whether my dress could be repaired or not. Also, the letter stated that they noted that my dress was discontinued, but they still required me to go out and obtain a quote of "the nearest equivalent" dress from a dress shop!! I wrote back straight away and told them that I did not have time to go to bridal shops looking for a dress that was similar. I had provided receipts that proved the value of my dress, and that was the amount I expected to be refunded. I implored them to hurry up, as I needed to get a replacement dress in time for my wedding, as most dresses take some months to arrive into the shop after ordering.

They then wrote back on 11th April 2007, stating that they were prepared to "overlook" the issue of me having to chase around to get a quote for a similar dress, but that they still needed a seamstress to examine the dress to see if it was repairable and provide a written statement to this effect. This meant I then had to find a seamstress who was willing to do this for me, not charge me too much for doing so, and who could fit me in ASAP, as most were very busy as wedding season was beginning. On the phone to E&L, I had offered to send them photographs of the dress so they could see the damage for themselves, but they wouldn't accept this as evidence. I managed to get a seamstress appointment for 2 weeks later. At this point I was distraught. I'd got just under 2 months until my wedding and no dress.

I posted the statement to them as soon as the seamstress had sent it to me. On the 16th May 2007, E & L wrote to me agreeing to pay the full amount minus my excess. I was so pleased, and I wrote back immediately saying that I accepted this. They were supposed to send me a cheque. To date (4th June 2007), this cheque still has not appeared. I rang E & L this morning, and the operator said they've been having delays. He said my acceptance letter was not received by them until 21st May (I posted it 1st class on 16th), and that the cheque SHOULD be with me in 10 working days. I asked if that was 10 working days from the 21st May? He advised no, from todays date. This takes us to 18th June 2007, which is 3 days AFTER I get married. Then you have to allow time for the cheque to clear of course. It's a good job that my Mum was able to lend me enough money to buy a new dress.

Jammyrhona's Response to LunaMoon's Review

Written on: 12/08/2007

I found this review helpful because...
<br/>Exactly the kind of review I am looking for - I don't want to know how they rate on prices and websites when signing up, I want to know what they do when you need to make a claim. Will be steering well clear of E and L Wedding Insurance for my wedding!

Splottlandsonthemoors's Response to LunaMoon's Review

Written on: 20/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because it gave me a specific example of the hassle you want to avoid should something go wrong! Surely the purpose most people get insurance in the first place.

Mummybride's Response to LunaMoon's Review

Written on: 24/09/2009

I found this review very helpful because...i was going to use e&l as my wedding insurers but whats the point they sound really bad

347500_Hamish853's Response to LunaMoon's Review

Written on: 25/02/2008

I found this review helpful because... I am looking for wedding insurance that doesn't give you a headache if you should need to claim. This answers my question about this insurer how I will not now be using!