Sony RDR-HX525 Review

riker's review of Sony RDR-HX525

“I use mine on the HQ setting which does only give...”

Written on: 12/05/2007 by riker (77 reviews written)

Hard disc recorder 80GB (8 hours max)
Dubbing from hard disc to DVD at high speed
Chase and playback
Pause live TV

Had to take the first one back as it kept turning itself on and off - would not respond to the remote at all.
There is a slight delay between switching on and receiving the channel - if you are going to record something you need to prepare a few minutes in advance.

General Comments
I use mine on the HQ setting which does only give about 59 minutes recording at the highest (almost broadcast) quality - just to record programmes when I am out. It is still perfectly acceptable on the lower settings - the lowest is still as good as VHS. The dubbing function is really useful - haven't used it much but it only takes about 10 minutes to write out to DVD. There are lots of other functions such as pause live TV which I haven't been able to use as the DVD is on the same channel as my SKY box. This is more to do with the way I've got it set up rather than a fault. I've had this model for about 6 months now and it has not let me down. My previous recorder was only a cheap model that recorded straight to DVD - I lost several programmes on that one!