Thomson Cruises, The Calypso Review

3.7
  • Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

AnnDarra's review of Thomson Cruises, The Calypso

“Although ports of call were to be commended, this ship...”

written by AnnDarra on 16/04/2007

Entertainment was good.
Staff were excellent considering the conditions they had to work under.

The Calypso ship was, in my opinion, dangerously unstable and at times I feared for my safety. Food was just about edible and served warm.
Waited an unreasonable time for waiter service, often having to go to the bar for drinks. Bistro food was of poor canteen quality and often cold. Too few tables for eating at in the Bistro.
Pool very small and could hold no more than 15 people comfortably.
Quality of cabins left a lot to be desired and space was limited.
Ship was old and not fit for cruising.

General Comments
Although ports of call were to be commended, this ship was unstable and not fit for cruising. On complaining to the receptionist on board ship, she entirely agreed with all our comments.

I would not recommend this ship under any circumstances.

• March 2007

Date of Cruise

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Tony Nicholson's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 29/04/2007

Ann was unfortunate as this was the ships first cruise for Thomsons. It was obviously not fully geared up. We have just returned from the same cruise, 21st -28th of April, and found everything was not only good but excellent. The food, service, staff and entertainment could not be faulted in any way. The ship sailed well too in 8 - 10ft swells, much better than some other ships we have been on, this was our 14th cruise. We have been on quite a few of the posh ships, including P&Os Oriana and Aurora and thought that the Calypso was better than any of them. A smaller ship is much more friendly in many respects. Ann must either must be very hard to please, or is one of those compensation seeking professional moaners.
<br/>Try it for yourself, we recommend it.

Marybantick's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 08/11/2007

I disagree with this review because I found the Calypso to be a great ship. We had no trouble with instability even though the seas were a bit rough at times. There were always plenty of seats in the Bistro and all the food was superb. We did sail at the end of the season so perhaps any earlier problems had been ironed out by then, but I would definitely recommend the Calypso to anyone and I intend to sail in her again.

The Teanbys's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 23/08/2007

Wow! Ann did have a bad experience and not just with the ship - strange that someone on the same sailing said exactly the opposite!
<br/>We were so impressed we are sailing on the 'Ionian treasures' cruise on 'The Calypso' on Monday 27th August 2007 - watch this space for a review of our trip.

Anndarra's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 20/08/2007

Further to my initial review of our cruise on the Calypso in April this year, and comments made by other passengers, I stand by my original comments. Furthermore, I have since met and heard of other passengers who suffered the same experience as us.
<br/>I am not a marine engineer, but my husband is, and also his father. For many years we had our own very successful Marine Company based on the Liverpool side of the River Mersey.
<br/>I never made a claim to Thomsons, but I thought that they should have offered all those on the inaugural cruise a free weeks holiday on another ship. I have nothing but disgust for the way Thomsons have disregarded my complaint, and they have never given me the courtesy of a reply.
<br/>Many other passengers complained, some even got flights home from our first port of call.
<br/>Shame on you Thomsons!

The Teanbys's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 19/08/2007

I disagree with this review because...we had no problem with the ship stability - is Ann Dara a marine engineer? Food was good hot and plentiful, cabins were clean and comfortable, though agree about the space!