SolidWorks 2003 Review

phwill's review of SolidWorks 2003

“While the program is sufficient, support is terrible...”

Written on: 08/03/2007 by phwill (1 review written)

Easy to sketch and extrude, drawings are easy to create.

There is a new version issued every year with no provisions for saving back to the old versions. When SolidWorks 2007 was issued, I made the mistake of loading it up, not realizing that the FEA program I was using with it (Cosmos DesignStar, made by the same company) would not read any Solidworks files created with the new program. When I tried to go back and use 2006, it would not open SW files that had been saved under SW 2007. I lost a lot of time trying to get that problem corrected. The revised, compatible version of DesignStar was not issued for over three months after SW 2007 was released, after my maintenance subscription was to expire. Needless to say, I did not renew my subscription to either program, and will not consider SW or DesignStar the next time I am in the market for software.

Beware of the Cosmos DesignStar website - it advertises full compatibility with Solidworks, which I found to be a lie.

General Comments
While the program is sufficient, support is terrible and the compatibility with other programs by the same company is very poor. The next time I'll give Solid Edge and Algor a closer look.