Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Review

rds1's review of Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

“Firstly, I must say that I loved the first film so...”

Written on: 02/03/2007 by rds1 (1 review written)

Firstly, I must say that I loved the first film so this film had very high standards to live up to for me.

I rented this film from a movie rental place (blockbuster) a couple of months ago and thought it was rubbish.

I think that it is a shameless money making venture because no genuine plot was offered up, just a lot of swash-buckling.

You got more drunken antics from capt. Jack Sparrow (which is not funny anymore), more walking around in mens clothes from Keira Knightly to show that she is a girl of substance, and more naive and optimistic bravery from Orlando Bloom, who happily wanders off to save his girl again.

I don't think that anyone could intelligently argue that this film is not rubbish, and that it is not a good film in its own right because it is not even trying to be.

There are countless references to the previous film: when bloom is looking for something (I couldn't for the life of me tell you what(?)) he goes to the island where Jack Sparrow has loads of 'lady friends' and one of the women goes up to bloom and says 'if you see him give him this for me' and slaps him round the face, this happens to Jack in the first film.

There are loads of jokes about the dog with the keys in the jail(like the last film)

there are loads of references from the crew of the black ship to the last film. etc etc etc.

Overall, this film is not really trying to be a good film in its own right, and I know a dog who could have written a better script, and the final straw is in the last scene. They are still trying to find a map or a key or something so a new captain for the ship crew is revealed as, Captain Barbosa, the baddie who died in the first film.

Far from being an interesting incentive to find out more in the next film, it has merely strengthened my resolve to not see the third film, and to tell everyone I can not to see it as well.

ps. I'm not normally an angry and highly critical person, but stuff like this annoys.

• Johnny Depp