Kuredu Island Resort, Lhaviyani Atoll Review

SMILEYSLC's review of Kuredu Island Resort, Lhaviyani Atoll

“We stayed at the Kuredu Resort between Tuesday 12th...”

Written on: 28/12/2006 by SMILEYSLC (1 review written)

Sangu jacuzzi beach villa and snorkelling

The food and lack of entertainment.

General Comments
We stayed at the Kuredu Resort between Tuesday 12th December and Thursday 21st December in a Sangu Jacuzzi Beach Villa, for 9 nights.

we booked our honeymoon with Kuoni, and I can only praise them and would certainly book with them again. The rep at the resort was excellent, very informative and sorted out any queries quickly and was not a pushy sales woman.

we flew direct from Heathrow with Sri Lankan Airways, airline were superb and would strongly recommend them. It took approximately 10 hours. Landed in Male where we had a short bus trip to sea plane departures. We had to wait approx an hour and a half before sea plane took off but the sea plane waiting area is very pleasant with lots of seating, nice views and refreshments.

the sea plane transfer took approximately forty minutes to kuredu. From friends and website reviews it was built up to be an amazing experience however we thought it was OK, more of means to an end. Be warned though with no air conditioning it does get very hot and uncomfortable. But I am sure it was better than a 4 hour boat trip to the resort.

the sea plane landed on the island, some islands you get dropped off on a platform in the sea and a boat takes you to your resort.

our sea plane carried us and our luggage. At this point I took off my flip flops and did not put them on for the next ten days. On arrival on the Island Sangu guests were taken in the Sangu taxi to the Sangu resort reception area. We were given cold towels and coconut ice cream which were very much appreciated. We were given details about the resort, our welcome meeting and were handed our keys.

we stayed in Jacuzzi beach villa number 132. From reading the hotels website I emailed prior to arrival to get an outdoor bed next to the Jacuzzi, and we were lucky enough to get one, a nice extra if you fancy it.

The room was exceptionally large, with air conditioning and a ceiling fan, a security deposit box, CD player, tea/coffee making facilities and a wardrobe, no drawers though. The bed was very large, with two iron chairs and a small table and dressing table. Very impressed with the room. To the rear of the room is a door leading out to the bathroom area, with a toilet, double sinks and large shower. Leading on from this is an open area with a washing line, the outdoor bed and Jacuzzi.

the front of the room looks out onto the white sand and palm trees. On the veranda there are two chairs for your sole use and on the sand in front of your villa are two sun lounges for your sole use. Could not fault the room at all, very impressed.

Sangu guests get the use of their own restaurant and bar. The bar is a nice extra to have as it is the only bar located near to the Sangu accommodation. The restaurant is a self service buffet. We stayed on an all inclusive basis, which gave us breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Breakfast consisted of a choice of four cereals, fruit, 2 pastries, toast, and a mixture of hot food including bacon, baked beans and a chef cooking eggs, pancakes and omelettes. Your waiter remained with you at every meal for your entire stay. The waiters were very good. Lunch varied there would also be a soup, a cold salad buffet, a two or three hot meat dishes to choose from and three or four desserts. Dinner had a different theme every night including Indian, BBQ, Chinese, Mexican, again with a soup, salads and four desserts. If the weather was good enough some tables were set up on the sand next to the sea and they were fantastic. I would describe the food as OK, it had no wow factor and after a few days it all tasted the same and after 10 days I was really not enjoying eating it. The resort has three other restaurants, but I looked at the prices which were steep and thought why should I have to pay those prices on an all inclusive holiday when the food is not good enough in the main restaurant. Included in the all inclusive deal were limited drinks, the basic soft drinks, wine and beer. No cocktails, these were being sold for about $5/6/7 and prices for premium branded alcoholic drinks were high. The gold all inclusive package included these drinks so it may work out cheaper to pay this up front, this also included the mini bar in the room.

we bought our own snorkelling gear and I think this was a good idea because turtles do not always show up when you want them to so it was handy to have our equipment at hand. The snorkelling is excellent especially off the jetty. Canoes and windsurfing was available to do at no extra cost and twice a week lessons would be put on. There was a huge range of other water sports to try but all at a cost.

The Island is unique for having golf course, six holes. With a driving range and putting area. The golf pro does an hour introduction once a week for free, this was very good. After this you pay for everything. To play you have to pay $10 a round per person not including balls and balls cost $12 for the cheapest pack. Again you pay for the driving range. The golf club has its own bar and TV and has a nice relaxed atmosphere. The resort runs golf competitions, surprise surprise you have to pay to enter, $10 Texas scramble, golf ball in the pool you have to buy a $5 cocktail to gain entry. Found the concept of paying to enter competitions on an all inclusive shocking, especially when the prizes were cocktails or such like. Crab racing was more entertaining but you have to bid for your own crab, they can go for up to $90 each. The entertainment or lack of it was the biggest let down. I have never seen so many people play cards, scrabble or monopoly before in my life! We had to buy a pack in the resort! Read all of my books in the first three days because in the evenings there is nothing to do. In the day the same is very true except you have the beautiful beaches, snorkelling, and pool to keep you occupied. The swimming pool is great, plenty of sun lounges and a pool bar.

we also made use of the spa which was wonderful; prices are about what you would expect about $60 for an hours massage. They do about every treatment you could imagine.

we had the same room cleaner for the entire stay who was excellent, towels were regularly changed and the bed made twice a day. A bottle of water was also let in your room every night so you did not have to pay for bottled water.

the resort has a number of shops, which sell basic items you may need. I found that gifts to take home were expensive and were much cheaper at Male airport. The resort had its own jewellery shop and water sports clothing/equipment shop. The resort has a system where you pay for nothing at the time you simply give your room number and it goes on your bill at the end of the stay, even in the jewellery shop!

we walked around the whole island which took just over an hour and saw the other types of accommodation. Our Jacuzzi beach villa was virtually identical to a beach villa, the beach bungalows looked like a tin shack, but if you don't want to spend much time in it I guess it does the job. We went in a water villa which are lovely but some what isolated and you don't have access to your own bit of beach because at the rear of the water villa are the beach bungalows.

something we both found really annoying was the sound of the sea planes from where our room is they were really loud. The first one leaves about 7am and there are a few a day landing and taking off. It felt like an airport hotel.

the sunset cruise included in the price of the holiday was excellent and we got some lovely shots.

I walked past the main restaurant for non-sangu guests it looked like ours only larger, seemed quite compact for the number of people though.

the bars on the resort all had nice furniture, some bed you could lie down on and chill, clean and with a nice atmosphere.

we were honeymooners and were told we would get sparkling wine, fruit and t-shirts on arrival. This was not the case, after reminding them we got the fruit and wine but the t-shirts did not show up till the final night with flowers on the bed, this was after asking twice.

The night before we left we had to settle our final bill, this came to $450, quite a lot considering that we did not use the mini bar, have any non-inclusive alcohol or eat at non-inclusive restaurants. Most of it was entertaining ourselves, golf, competitions and at the Spa!

Departure is very organised and the day before you get an itinerary of where to be at what time. Our flight back to Heathrow was via Colombo in Sri Lanka, which although was tiring there were no real problems.

In summary I was disappointed, the weather was bad which did not help Since the tsunami the seasons have shifted and the June/July rain did not come which has resulted in unusually high amounts of rain since late October. The wind and the rain meant that a number of sea planes were cancelled and the only form of transfer was boat, we saw people getting off the boat soaking wet and still being ill from sea sickness.

I would never go back to Kuredu or recommend it to anyone. The island without the hotel is amazing; our Jacuzzi beach villa was great but little after that. I think the Maldives is a special place but this resort does not do it justice.

Degbert's Response to SMILEYSLC's Review

Written on: 29/12/2006

Terrible shame the weather conspired against you, which will always make a holiday feel 'bad'. Especially so on honeymoon. I (or rather we) were one of the lucky couples to have two of the weeks in late June 06 where the weather was great, and we were in a Sangu water hut. But to be honest, it appears the only difference was the weather. Apart from that most of your review suggests everything was pretty good. I'd agree with that, but of course good weather will make it just that more enjoyable. I guess my point is - good or bad - the weather makes a subjective review of a holiday quite difficult.